Othram - General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
If only we knew whether his bones showed signs of loss of density, we might have a clue about hyperparathyroidism. This condition leeches calcium out of the bones, and can lead to osteoporosis and kidney stones. Hmmm, "kidney pills".

Skeletal Manifestations of Hyperparathyroidism

The mystery won't truly be solved until we know what drove him to madness. It would be very helpful to know of any family members who also had this condition, although only a certain type is familial.

Othram, have you considered media articles in the Swedish communities in Minnesota and other known settlement areas in the U.S.?

Swedish Immigration to Minnesota | MNopedia

This is where many North American Swedish families started out. Many headed further west in the late 1800s, and even up to Canada for farming in the early 1900s, as homesteading opportunities opened up. My goodness, there's a lot of these families in the prairie provinces of Canada.

Wow, interesting, I think the DNA Doe Project also has one Doe of Scandinavian ancestry and they say it is extremely difficult to build their family trees.

Hey Othram, if LE and circumstances allow, would you like to work on Opelika Jane Doe's case? I think you could do a lot of good for the sweet little angel.

Othram and DoeNetwork Collaborate to Reunite the Missing and Unidentified Back to Family
''Othram and DoeNetwork Collaborate to Reunite the Missing and Unidentified Back to Family
New initiative will raise awareness, funding, and other resources to help solve cold cases
THE WOODLANDS, Texas (PRWEB) July 29, 2021

Othram, the leading forensic sequencing laboratory for law enforcement, has announced a joint initiative with the DoeNetwork, a global volunteer organization that advocates for cold cases involving missing and unidentified persons. The collaboration aims to raise awareness, funding, and other resources to help solve cold cases.

The DoeNetwork was first created as a website, in 1999, to catalog missing and unidentified persons cases. Over the years, DoeNetwork evolved into a nationwide volunteer organization. DNASolves, a part of Othram, was created in 2019, and combines crowdfunding, volunteered data, and cutting-edge genomics to solve unresolved cases involving unidentified victims and perpetrators of crime.

As part of the ongoing collaboration, DoeNetwork will feature updates for DNASolves unidentified persons cases that need financial support or general help from the crowd. These updates will be featured on the DoeNetwork Updates page. According to the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs), 4,400 unidentified bodies are recovered in the United States annually. These cases accumulate over time creating what the National Institute of Justice calls a “silent mass disaster.” These cases won’t be solved with traditional methods alone. DNASolves and DoeNetwork will work together to educate the public on the power of advanced DNA testing and forensic genetic genealogy, and cross-promote cases being solved with this powerful new approach. This will further the common mission at DNASolves and DoeNetwork of helping reconnect the missing and unidentified to family.

“The DoeNetwork has spent 20 years documenting and advocating for the missing and unidentified. We are excited to partner with Othram and DNASolves so that we can now leverage cutting-edge DNA testing methods to accelerate the identification of unidentified remains,” says Todd Mathews, DoeNetwork Org co-founder.

About Othram Inc.
Othram is the world’s first private DNA laboratory built specifically to apply the power of modern parallel sequencing to forensic evidence. Othram’s scientists are experts at recovery, enrichment, and analysis of human DNA from trace quantities of degraded or contaminated materials. Founded in 2018, and located in The Woodlands, Texas, our team works with academic researchers, forensic scientists, medical examiners, and law enforcement agencies to achieve results when other approaches fail. Follow Othram on Twitter @OthramTech or visit Othram.com to learn how we can help you with your case. Visit dnasolves.com to learn how anyone can make a difference in helping solve the next cold case.''

Question for the group. For folks that advocate for the unidentified, how many of you spread the word through online links from online sources versus offline materials, like printed flyers?

Do you all use both? Mostly one?

Question for the group. For folks that advocate for the unidentified, how many of you spread the word through online links from online sources versus offline materials, like printed flyers?

Do you all use both? Mostly one?
Mostly FB shares if I'm being honest. It is the only social media platform I use consistently. Convenient and simple. I wish I could do more and I admittedly don't reach a huge audience, but I do the best I can. Hope this helps!

Also, congrats on Jetty Doe!! (Rather, Steven Lee Knox)

Last edited:
Mostly FB shares if I'm being honest. It is the only social media platform I use consistently. Convenient and simple. I wish I could do more and I admittedly don't reach a huge audience, but I do the best I can. Hope this helps!

Also, congrats on Jetty Doe!! (Rather, Steven Lee Knox)
I mostly use twitter on the contrary, but posts can easily get lost on that platform

Wow, it was a fast solve! Congratulations, Othram, excellent job!

“In June 2021, Othram, Inc. completed the DNA analysis and provided the SCMEO with a DNA file that was then uploaded to GEDmatch”

Another one, awesome work othram!!
Ws thread..
CANADA - Canada - Regina, SK, WhtMale 720UMSK, 20-30, hit by train, Jul'95

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/regina-john-doe-identified-genetic-genealogy-1.6128087
Aug 05, 2021
''Before the identification had been made, the coroner's office had confirmed to The Fifth Estate that they had hired Othram Inc. in Texas to use genetic genealogy to try to identify the man.

David Mittelman, a geneticist and the CEO who runs Othram Inc., declined to comment.

Othram is a private laboratory that specializes in the recovery and analysis of human DNA from degraded or contaminated forensic evidence. They also do genealogical research to try to identify the person the DNA belongs to for policing agencies in Canada and the U.S.

They have solved several cases in Canada, including identifying Gordon Sanderson, a man nicknamed "Septic Tank Sam" by the Alberta RCMP after being found in a septic tank 44 years ago outside of Tofield, Alta.

Kemp's partner, Steve O'Leary, now also retired, said the Regina victim was kept in the morgue for six months before being buried.

"There was a small graveside funeral for this kid. The coroner was there and my partner and I and a minister and that was it. We buried him. He was a John Doe," said O'Leary.
"I cannot even imagine what it must be like to lose a family member like that, always wondering if they're still alive or living somewhere else under a different name."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288