GA - Katherine Janness, 40, walking dog, both fatally stabbed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotr

Reaction score
Police seek clues after woman and dog killed in Atlanta park
''ATLANTA -- Investigators sought video from homes and businesses near a popular Atlanta park as divers searched a pond in their quest to solve the stabbing death of a parkgoer who was walking her dog.

Katherine Janness, 40, was found dead in Piedmont Park around 1 a.m. Wednesday. Police say her dog was also killed. No arrests have been made.''

''Janness was found stabbed multiple times and Atlanta police Deputy Chief Charles Hampton described the scene as “gruesome.”

Police are investigating the killing of a woman and her dog in Atlanta's Piedmont Park - CNN

210729020715-atlanta-piedmont-park-killing-exlarge-169.jpg

Police are investigating the killing of a woman and her dog in Atlanta's Piedmont Park.

"The Piedmont Park Conservancy is deeply saddened, and our hearts go out to the individual's family and loved ones," the park said in a statement on Facebook.
Janness had dinner with her wife Tuesday night before saying she was going to walk the dog, a police source told CNN affiliate WSB-TV. Her wife later found Janness and the dog's bodies near the entrance of the park, the station reported.''

UPDATE: Police release photo of Piedmont Park victim, renew calls for help
''The Atlanta Journal-Constitution is not revealing some details from the scene due to their graphic nature. Investigators in diving gear returned to the park Wednesday afternoon, scouring the lake for any evidence that might assist in the case.

Janness was a bartender at nearby Campagnolo Restaurant and Bar and was supposed to work Wednesday evening, Channel 2 reported. By late afternoon, there was a growing memorial at the park’s entrance as mourners dropped off flowers and dog treats.''

FOX 5 Atlanta

News | Atlanta Police Department
07/28/2021 - Homicide at Piedmont Park - 1073 Piedmont Ave NE Updated with Flyer and Victim Name

Post Date:07/28/2021 9:50 AM
UPDATED CRIME STOPPERS BOLO
''Homicide detectives are asking for the public’s help to solve the murder of 40-year-old Katherine (Katie) Janness on July 28, 2021.

''CRIME STOPPERS BOLO: On July 28, 2021 the victim’s body was discovered inside Piedmont Park. She was last seen walking her dog in Midtown Atlanta. The victim and her dog were killed inside the park. Anyone with Information is asked to call Crime Stoppers or the Atlanta Police Homicide Office. Crime Stoppers Flyer Piedmont PK

Investigators are actively working to identify the suspect in this crime and are asking anyone with information to please contact the Atlanta Police Homicide Unit or Crime Stoppers at 404-577-8477. Callers can remain completely anonymous. The reward is up to $10,000.

Please keep in mind that this is preliminary information and may change as the investigation progresses.''

she was left lying in the park, the scene was 'gruesome'....but nobody found her until 1 am?was she hidden out of sight....and if so...

who was in the park to find her at 1am?
She was just inside a park entrance. She was found a little after 1 AM. The photo release of her in a crosswalk was at 12:07 AM. Her wife pinged her cell phone when she did not return home. The wife found her and the dog.
This is an area with lots of condos and apartments and restaurants. While I would never walk through the park after dark I would think it is relatively safe to walk where she She was crossing the street.

Last edited:
Police seek clues after woman and dog killed in Atlanta park
''ATLANTA -- Investigators sought video from homes and businesses near a popular Atlanta park as divers searched a pond in their quest to solve the stabbing death of a parkgoer who was walking her dog.

Katherine Janness, 40, was found dead in Piedmont Park around 1 a.m. Wednesday. Police say her dog was also killed. No arrests have been made.''

''Janness was found stabbed multiple times and Atlanta police Deputy Chief Charles Hampton described the scene as “gruesome.”
Thank you for starting this thread. I was logging on to do it myself. I live near where this happened. I so hope it is solved quickly. There Hass to be a lot of video evidence For investigators to sort through.

Last edited:
i wonder what breed of dog that was.....can't tell from cctv image. could the dog have fought/bitten the murderer. someone out there with a dog bite?
This article/video has a much better picture of what appears to be the dog. This is one of the saddest stories I’ve heard in a long time already, and I suspect based on the wording in some of the articles it’s going to get a great deal sadder as we learn more. "She was part of the community:" Piedmont Park murder victim remembered; killer still on loose

Last edited:
FBI joins investigation into killing of Katherine Janness, her dog in Atlanta park
By Julia Marnin On 7/29/21
"The Federal Bureau of Investigation [FBI] is joining Atlanta police in an investigation into the killing of Katherine Janness, 40, and her dog in the city's Piedmont Park, the Associated Press reported.''

"Katie was the most down to earth, beautiful spirit that you would ever meet," Chip Powell, who used to work with Janness when she worked as a bar manager at an improv theater, told WXIA-TV. "So many people in the community knew and loved her."
''Janness and her girlfriend, Emma Clark, had been together for about seven years and considered themselves married, said Clark's father, Joe Clark.

"They would've been together forever," Joe Clark told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "They were that couple."

''Hampton said it's too early to determine a motive for the killing.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member