ID ID - Michael “Monkey” Vaughan, 5, last seen near home, Fruitland, 27 Jul 2021 #1 *endangered*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like a fairly small, quiet community, with one street into the subdivision (8th). Hopefully a number of residents along 8th have cameras.
The type of neighborhood might have provided a false sense of security to parents in that area.

Looks like they have pulled out all the stops to look for this child. Every possible resource is either on the ground or on the way. Hope the dog and tracking teams find something. @ByTheSea, do these homes have basements with window wells? Small children fall into window wells from time to time, that just popped into my head this morning. If LE is looking at this thread, I have run into some woodlands/suburban interface area situations where children will hide from searchers because they are scared of all the activity, vehicles with lights, military looking uniforms and afraid they are in trouble. The best way I know of to deal with this is to complete all search operations, then place a search dogs and handlers in various locations around the PLS and have them sit quietly and listen. Generally the dog will key in on any movement in shrubs, etc. Sometimes eating something like cookies or a candy bar and remarking on how good it tastes will draw them out. "Wow Monkey, this cookie tastes really, really good, do you want one?"

Except most 5 year olds would have come back scared and hungry when it got dark the first night.

IMO he hasn't come home because he can't.

So very tragic.

Latest update:

In response to several inquiries from the public, we do not have any searches involving the community planned for today. We have aircraft, drones and canines working in the area. The grid search of the City of Fruitland on the morning of July 29th covered the city completely and some of surrounding areas. We are not telling the public they cannot continue their own personal searches, however as of right now we will not be organizing another search involving the public unless new facts or circumstances arise. Please remember that if you are searching today, to respect citizen's right to deny you entry to their property and please do not walk through cultivated fields without the property owner's permission. City of Fruitland Police | Facebook

@SuziQ Agreed. Just like to cover all the bases. I once made a snow cave, at around 8 years old crawled in and plugged the opening except for an air hole to test that survival method. It was so nice and cozy I fell asleep for about two hours. I came out to find that my mom was getting a bit worried even though she had a lot of confidence in my outdoor survival skills.

City of Fruitland Police

PRESS RELEASE UPDATE (7/29/21)

Today, the Fruitland Police Department, in conjunction with the Idaho State Police, multiple Treasure Valley
Law Enforcement Agencies and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, continued the search for missing and endangered 5-year-old Michael Joseph Vaughan. Michael was last seen near his residence on SW 9th St. at approximately 6:30pm on July 27, 2021.

We are seeking the public’s assistance to identify individuals who were in the area of SW 8th St., SW 9th St. and Cornwall Way from 6:30 to 7:15 PM on July 27, 2021. If you were in the area, or know someone who was, please contact us at 208-642-6006 Ext 0. Even if you do not believe you have relevant information, please contact us so we can recreate a complete picture of the time and area Michael was last seen. Every minute counts when searching for a missing child and we appreciate the public’s continued support and cooperation as we search for Michael.

If you live in the immediate area, please thoroughly search your property, to include all outbuildings, vehicles and irrigation ditches. We also ask residents review any security camera footage for any sign of a small child in the area.

We are very grateful for the public’s assistance and are following up on each lead we receive. We are committed to finding Michael and will leave no stone unturned. Please understand the investigation of a missing child is very resource intensive. We ask that the community only report information from credible sources to law enforcement. Sharing speculation or rumors only makes the process more difficult for investigators.

We also want to emphasize Michael’s family continues to be fully cooperative with law enforcement. We ask the community to be respectful of their privacy during this difficult time.

Michael was last seen wearing a light blue Minecraft t-shirt, dark blue boxer briefs and child’s size 11, blue flip flops. He stands 43 inches tall, is 50 lbs., with blonde hair and blue eyes. He answers to the nickname “Monkey.” If you see Michael or have information, please call the Payette County Sheriff’s Office at 208-642-6006 Ext 0
Thanks for this, @Knox. Most info we’ve received thus far. Also, @ReadySet , this confirms what you heard about the FBI being involved.
So, right now we have about a 45 minute timeline: 6:30 -7:15
Police weren’t called until about 7:30 according to reports.
It says he was seen near his home, not at his home. By whom?
Michael often wanders and goes to neighbors’s homes looking for someone to play with.
Police want to identify individuals who were on SW 8th, SW 9th, or Cornwall Way that night.
From his home on SW 9th it is approximately.03. mile to the midpoint on Cornwall or about a 6 minute walk.
Has he walked to Cornwall before? Why not include Whitley Dr or Whitney Ct. which can be accessed from SW 8th and is also an outlet from his neighborhood to a much busier road?
MOO

Attachments

• 9DE201FD-2F4E-437D-84F3-4A7EE3513A10.jpeg
    9DE201FD-2F4E-437D-84F3-4A7EE3513A10.jpeg
    242.8 KB · Views: 38
That was my question also @OldCop . It's a very narrow focus LE is asking about, which would lead you to believe a witness may have seen Michael and/or an individual/car in that area.

Unrelated question for you @Trakergd. Does the direction of travel related to right/left handed people, only apply if lost in the middle of nowhere? I read what you posted in the SW thread and was intrigued by that.

That was my question also @OldCop . It's a very narrow focus LE is asking about, which would lead you to believe a witness may have seen Michael and/or an individual/car in that area.

Unrelated question for you @Trakergd. Does the direction of travel related to right/left handed people, only apply if lost in the middle of nowhere? I read what you posted in the SW thread and was intrigued by that.

People generally do that most in woodlands environments without realizing it. It's because if you are right handed, your right stride is shorter than your left, so you tend to circle to the right. Opposite true for lefties.

People generally do that most in woodlands environments without realizing it. It's because if you are right handed, your right stride is shorter than your left, so you tend to circle to the right. Opposite true for lefties.

OT: You do realize that I can't help myself and have to go off to try it, right?! :rolleyes:

A neighbor saw Michael on Monday night. We don't know if anyone else saw him after that. So it's not "the last known sighting," as far as we know. It's a sighting.

"He’s an amazing little boy, your typical little 5-year-old, very curious, inquisitive, a fun-loving dude," Jen Smith Newman said, a neighbor of Michael and his family.

She just saw Michael on Monday night and said Michael’s grandfather asked her to share this statement:

Community searches for Fruitland boy still missing after two days - News Break

I’m lefty and almost always head left. It’s also why I don’t do line dancing. Everyone is going right and I’m going left. :D

KBOI 2 News at 4pm:

Nothing new. :(
But another update in half and hour.
2nd half hour: Nothing new.

KTVB 7: Same. PD won't go on camera at this time. I know that means something but what...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member