Found Deceased CA - Philip Kreycik, 37, Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park, 10 Jul 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing at the nearby BART station? Does any part of the metro area have a public bike share system?

What about camera footage from the BART station? I presume it has been checked, but haven't seen any confirmation from LE it has been.

(This is such a fast case with so many details I'm sometimes losing track of what's gone on....)

Nothing at the nearby BART station? Does any part of the metro area have a public bike share system?

I'm really not familiar with the Bay Area. I've travelled quite a bit throughout the US, but not in this part of California.
BART has a bike share program Your guide to bike share and BART | BARTable but I'm not sure if there are at any of the two Dublin/Pleasanton BART stations. Those stations aren't listed in the link above as one of the 16 stations that participate in the program.

Does anyone know how far cadaver dogs can pick up scents? Like how close does it need for be? I only found data that they can find a body 15 ft underground. I am puzzled that professional dogs haven’t found anything yet.
How Soon After Death Can a Cadaver Dog Detect? (+ How Long)

IMO he is not near the trail or in the park

IMO I think since his cell and belongings were in the car, that he would've taken them with him if this was a planned disappearance. So this leaves two options, still being in the park or outskirts or foul play. With all the resources that have been used, I am surprised they haven't found him. I know this has happened so many times, that the person's remains have been found years later, but this search was so very thorough! Frustrating for the family and searchers.

IMO I think since his cell and belongings were in the car, that he would've taken them with him if this was a planned disappearance. So this leaves two options, still being in the park or outskirts or foul play. With all the resources that have been used, I am surprised they haven't found him. I know this has happened so many times, that the person's remains have been found years later, but this search was so very thorough! Frustrating for the family and searchers.

I'm not sure a person would take these things?

PK was known not to run with extra weight, so IF this is a voluntary disappearance, taking phone and wallet would stand out as unusual behavior.

It is very easy to pick up a prepaid phone still. If a person wanted to drop out for a bit, they wouldn't need a wallet.

Do we have a complete timeline for Saturday morning after he dropped off the package? The posts I have read here indicate there are no confirmed sightings of him after that time at all. There are texts/phone conversation with his wife with confirmed times but except for travel time, what else fills the gap?

TIA to anyone who can enlighten me.

Until/unless there is additional video outside the park, we appear to be at a point where evidence of some kind is needed to continue looking.

Can we expect an expanded AMA with details after the date it was written?

At this point it might be wise to retain an attorney to seek any camera footage that may help. JMO

PK was known not to run with extra weight, so IF this is a voluntary disappearance, taking phone and wallet would stand out as unusual behavior.

It is very easy to pick up a prepaid phone still. If a person wanted to drop out for a bit, they wouldn't need a wallet.
Interesting. If he had left the GPS watch behind that also would have stood out by the same reasoning. So is the phone with Strava route a red herring? (speculation only)

I'm curious, are there any confirmed voluntary disappearance cases similar to this on Websleuths? I'm only familiar with Jake Cefolia, who of course has not been confirmed to be a planned disappearance. Quite a few similarities to PK actually, as both are fast runners. Unlike PK, JC also left his sport watch behind.

What would they use for money? He didn't take his wallet or his phone. He tried to be as light as possible. I thought I read he didn't even have water with him (as he planned a run just under an hour).

His friend says he was wearing his running clothes - so are you suggesting he stuck a wad of cash in his running shorts somehow? And then...ran or walked to Pleasanton? I feel as if this theory means he has to have an incredible (and undocumented) streak of cruelty to do this to his family, especially his wife and wee children, if that's true.

He certainly couldn't get on a plane without ID, but I suppose he could be using a bus. But bus drivers are perceptive and this case has gotten quite a bit of attention.

A person who was "taking a break" would surely take some form of payment with him. So IMO, leaving those things behind is very unusual behavior.

What would they use for money? He didn't take his wallet or his phone. He tried to be as light as possible. I thought I read he didn't even have water with him (as he planned a run just under an hour).

His friend says he was wearing his running clothes - so are you suggesting he stuck a wad of cash in his running shorts somehow? And then...ran or walked to Pleasanton? I feel as if this theory means he has to have an incredible (and undocumented) streak of cruelty to do this to his family, especially his wife and wee children, if that's true.

He certainly couldn't get on a plane without ID, but I suppose he could be using a bus. But bus drivers are perceptive and this case has gotten quite a bit of attention.

A person who was "taking a break" would surely take some form of payment with him. So IMO, leaving those things behind is very unusual behavior.

1. He could have taken some time out and is camping/on a trail. You need very little to do this if you have skills.
2. You would not need your current wallet if you went "off grid", especially if it was relatively short-term.

This would not need to be a big "all or nothing" type of scenario. Consider this: If a person really wanted to get away for awhile, and planned it, you could siphon away relatively small amounts of cash each week and it would likely go unnoticed. This would especially be true if you were someone with outdoor skills.

Speculation ONLY by me. I would like very much for PK to be found alive, or show up alive.

I would think he would take the wallet with money and his cell, as he would know how to make it untraceable or whatever. But I still lean towards him being in the park or vicinity, however foul play cannot be ruled out IMO.

I agree nothing can be ruled out.

The park seems to have searched so thoroughly....

PK seems like a truly nice guy, which is what is making this so compelling for me. Well liked, not involved in anything sketchy or bizarre or if he is, no one has shared that information. His wallet and phone were in the car, so it doesn't seem he was targeted as a mugging, car jacking, etc. Other types of random violence against men in their upper 30s, especially in what seems to be a pretty nice area in the middle of the day? I think that seems unlikely?

It all seems unlikely, really.

I'm personally leaning/hoping this is a voluntary disappearance of some kind.

After reading how quickly law enforcement were at his car (they were called after one hour and then on site within minutes), maybe he was a little behind schedule with his run and when he was returning to his car, he suddenly saw officers searching through it.

If there was anything lurking in his past or recent activity that would have him thinking he could be at risk of being caught for something, perhaps he thought that’s why they were there and then took off on the run.

Seems unlikely, but just throwing out a theory. The timing of the missing call and officer arriving being so quick is unusual. I can’t think of another case where it went to full search so quickly.

Do we have a complete timeline for Saturday morning after he dropped off the package? The posts I have read here indicate there are no confirmed sightings of him after that time at all. There are texts/phone conversation with his wife with confirmed times but except for travel time, what else fills the gap?

TIA to anyone who can enlighten me.

Until/unless there is additional video outside the park, we appear to be at a point where evidence of some kind is needed to continue looking.

Can we expect an expanded AMA with details after the date it was written?

At this point it might be wise to retain an attorney to seek any camera footage that may help. JMO
Other questions: What time was his virtual work meeting or call that day? Was it a routine thing for him to work on weekends? Or did something urgent come up?

Could he have left his car to do something work-related that took a wrong turn? I'm leaning toward foul play. To me it seems very unlikely he voluntarily disappeared.

And I am now 99% convinced that unless he dramatically changed his hiking route, he is not in the park.

Maybe a PI is needed?

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading how quickly law enforcement were at his car (they were called after one hour and then on site within minutes), maybe he was a little behind schedule with his run and when he was returning to his car, he suddenly saw officers searching through it.

If there was anything lurking in his past or recent activity that would have him thinking he could be at risk of being caught for something, perhaps he thought that’s why they were there and then took off on the run.

Seems unlikely, but just throwing out a theory. The timing of the missing call and officer arriving being so quick is unusual. I can’t think of another case where it went to full search so quickly.
I got the impression his wife was there when the police searched his car.

Does anyone know?

No but the text message from the AMA has the question "When are you leaving?" timestamped at 9:18 AM

Then there is no reply until 10:46 AM with a reply back about the ETA being 12:35.

That is a fairly large gap. Don't know if there are text messages between that time that were deleted or why it took an hour and 28 minutes to reply. Or maybe there was a verbal phone conversation between the two timestamps.

Also the press conference referred to the drop off location of the parcel as a 'kiosk.' I don't know what that means and whether that implies a retail store or a drop box only. In one of the press conferences as well the police representative from Pleasanton Lt. Erik Silacci discusses working on firming up the timeline and asks the public to come forward if they saw Philip in the morning parked or driving one to two hours before the incident or sometime that morning. This request is about at minute 21:18 of the press conference that KTVU posted on Youtube-

Because of that request for the public to come forward, in my opinion, it is possible that they cannot yet confirm that Philip was actually the one driving the vehicle that was found parked at the trailhead.

I would guess fingerprint tests were taken on the car.

I agree with you. However, it really is almost impossible to cover every inch in the densest parts, and even though an area was searched, they could have missed something. I am starting to waiver a bit though, at least I am starting to think foul play?

I agree with you. However, it really is almost impossible to cover every inch in the densest parts, and even though an area was searched, they could have missed something. I am starting to waiver a bit though, at least I am starting to think foul play?
Also, I read the comments by a searcher on the fb search site, who said the immediate area was gone over 5 times. Of course, he is most likely further afield then.

Has the existence of a work call been confirmed by anyone PK works with? i.e. Was it a larger conference call type of thing he was scheduled to join, and there would be some type of record of, or was it a more casual reference to something that may or may not have been real?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53