Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #97

Status
Not open for further replies.
When it comes to Covid is there any such thing as herd immunity? Just when you think you are immune to Covid through a vaccine or natural immunity along comes another variant (surprise, surprise) and you find that you are no longer immune.

Here's a helpful article about herd immunity:
Herd immunity and COVID-19 (coronavirus): What you need to know

Excerpt:
Why is herd immunity important?

Herd immunity occurs when a large portion of a community (the herd) becomes immune to a disease, making the spread of disease from person to person unlikely. As a result, the whole community becomes protected — not just those who are immune.

Often, a percentage of the population must be capable of getting a disease in order for it to spread. This is called a threshold proportion. If the proportion of the population that is immune to the disease is greater than this threshold, the spread of the disease will decline. This is known as the herd immunity threshold.

What percentage of a community needs to be immune in order to achieve herd immunity? It varies from disease to disease. The more contagious a disease is, the greater the proportion of the population that needs to be immune to the disease to stop its spread. For example, the measles is a highly contagious illness. It's estimated that 94% of the population must be immune to interrupt the chain of transmission.

How is herd immunity achieved?

There are two main paths to herd immunity for COVID-19 — infection and vaccines.

[...]

The U.S. is currently making progress toward herd immunity through a combined approach.

No more talk of herd immunity.

I’m afraid I think they’ve culled the herd and will continue to do so unless/until everyone is vaccinated.

There is an idea out there that COVID has been contained but as long as vaccinated people can both give and receive COVID, there is no herd immunity. The vaccine only (but I’ll take it) decreases the extent of ones illness.

As for those who refuse the vaccine, I shall not comment.

The real problem here is children under age 12, who can't get a vaccine. Parents should be encouraging mask wearing for these kids, even if the parents are vaccinated, when they go out with their children they should be wearing masks too.

I was at Costco the other day, lots of kids with parents. No masks in sight. And the signage is pretty clear, "Unvaccinated people need to wear masks". So, why are all of these kids wandering around without masks?

That is really why the CDC dropped the ball. Unless everyone has been vaccinated, at least 85% of the population, including children, we should have all continued to wear masks.

I respectfully disagree.
This is just my opinion.
I think that health insurance companies ARE
going to shut down footing the bill for those who have refused to get vaccinated.
These insurance companies are facing untold millions of dollars to pay for hospitalization of people who have refused the vaccines.
And yes, when you are facing possible bankruptcy because you did not get the vaccine, That might be the biggest motivator for many.
Speaking for myself, If my husband and myself were looking at bankruptcy due to not getting the vaccine.... No question. We would get the vaccine.
P.S. Both of us are fully vaccinated since February.

Yes, I also believe that you are correct. Insurance companies are already giving carrots to get people vaccinated. I suspect that as soon as the vaccine is approved by the Food and Drug Administration, insurance companies will not cover covid treatment for those who refuse vaccinations.

Let's watch for it.

Opinion | Don’t Want a Vaccine? Be Prepared to Pay More for Insurance.

That's an interesting theory, but I'm not sure it would be legal.

Plus, I'm not sure it would act as an impetus for the unvaccinated to get the shot.

I agree that when you're looking at bankruptcy, many (myself included) would opt to take the vaccine, but the ones who aren't getting the shot, are banking on the idea that they aren't going to get sick.

We are seeing a lot of vaccine hesitancy in groups that are below the poverty level, and for them, bankruptcy likely isn't that big of a threat.

Smokers pay more for insurance. Reckless drivers pay more and can even find themselves in a situation where no one will cover them. There is a precedent for charging more for insurance for certain types of activities, or not covering certain claims, such as rock climbing, scuba diving, bungee jumping, or whatever other activities are listed in the fine print.

Insurance companies paid for covid treatment, but that was a huge cost. I suspect they will need to recover the cost, plus avoid further, unnecessary covid expense.

"And what we are seeing is more cases in children. Local data in Australia shows about 25 per cent of new cases are in children, and we are treating more children at our hospitals."

"In the US they are seeing substantial numbers of critically ill children, and that could be a sign of things to come."

"So get yourself immunised, fully immunised, and abide by the health regulations."

The Delta variant is more infectious. Now experts say it has something else that makes it a 'double whammy'

Our Public Health District is also reporting 23.5% of covid cases were in people 19 yrs old and under. At the moment there are four active cases in our district, and two are in children.

It's awful. :(

Yes, I also believe that you are correct. Insurance companies are already giving carrots to get people vaccinated. I suspect that as soon as the vaccine is approved by the Food and Drug Administration, insurance companies will not cover covid treatment for those who refuse vaccinations.

Let's watch for it.

Our health insurance gave $50 per person for receiving at least one dose of a covid vaccine. It was totally unexpected so extra sweet.:D

The real problem here is children under age 12, who can't get a vaccine. Parents should be encouraging mask wearing for these kids, even if the parents are vaccinated, when they go out with their children they should be wearing masks too.

I was at Costco the other day, lots of kids with parents. No masks in sight. And the signage is pretty clear, "Unvaccinated people need to wear masks". So, why are all of these kids wandering around without masks?

That is really why the CDC dropped the ball. Unless everyone has been vaccinated, at least 85% of the population, including children, we should have all continued to wear masks.

CDC dropped so many balls. I got an email from a 22 year old in HR telling me that my main concern should be following CDC guidelines. I responded that CDC research contradicts its guidelines (as to how long a person can have a masked conversation with a Delta variant person). I apologized. I know she was merely told to say that - but all of the current rules are based on a version of COVID that isn't as contagious.

If you dig through the actual CDC publications, it's a different story - but it's a bureaucracy and takes a while to respond.

Delta being 1250X more contagious than the original needs to be said (although...not necesarily more lethal!) But long COVID is very much associated with these cases that don't outright kill. And there are other variants.

Stay safe, everyone. Masks. Double masks if you work somewhere that won't excuse you from interacting with others. 10 feet not 6 feet. If closer than 6 feet, think about wearing a mask and a face shield.

Not forever - but pay attention to your local stats.

Louisiana reinstates indoor mask mandate amid COVID surge
More at link
The governor’s announcement came as Louisiana’s largest standalone hospital — Our Lady of the Lake Medical Center in Baton Rouge — brought in a disaster medical assistance team of nearly three dozen health care workers Monday to help the facility cope with the influx of COVID-19 patients.

Chief medical officer Dr. Catherine O’Neal said the hospital is caring for 155 COVID-19 patients, occupying one-quarter of the facility, while people with chest pains and other medical conditions are forced to sit in the emergency room waiting for an ICU bed.

“These are the darkest days of this pandemic. We are no longer giving adequate care to patients,” she said.

Louisiana's Covid rate doesn't surprise me at all. After the attitude my daughter's employer had yesterday. (I am still beyond angry).

Folks who don't have internet access, transportation, and can't miss work....are out of luck. It is an issue that affects folks who are the working poor. Poverty tax.

No vaccine for you!

So many people at the top layer of government, who make these decisions about how to roll out the vaccines live in an Ivory Tower of wealth and privilege. They don't even understand not having transportation, internet access, not being able to miss work to get a shot. Clueless.

Covid-19 and all of it's babies are horrific. A nightmare from Science Fiction come true.
I thank God that we have these vaccines.
I cannot imagine the carnage if we didn't.
I hope that ALL countries ALL countries stop playing around with weaponized virusis.
In my opinion, these may be worse to people then even nuclear warfare.
All of these mass murdering weapons are horrific against innocent people.
If there is anything the United Nations should be doing, it should be worldwide condemnation against all weapons of mass killings, against ANY leader, or, any country that uses weapons of mass destruction against the human race.
I have not seen this happen, at all.
Is this not their pledge?
Weren't they formed and funded for exactly this reason?
Hopefully, someone smarter then myself can set me straight?

When it comes to Covid is there any such thing as herd immunity? Just when you think you are immune to Covid through a vaccine or natural immunity along comes another variant (surprise, surprise) and you find that you are no longer immune.

It's not going to be a nasal spray vaccine this fall. Nothing has been submitted for approval in a nasal spray form. I haven't seen anything reported about successful clinical trails of nasal spray vaccines. It seems to be wishful thinking, wouldn't it be nice if we had a nasal spray vaccine?
Baron Rouge General Hospital (Louisiana) is looking for volunteers for the COVID nasal spray mist.

Louisiana's Covid rate doesn't surprise me at all. After the attitude my daughter's employer had yesterday. (I am still beyond angry).

Folks who don't have internet access, transportation, and can't miss work....are out of luck. It is an issue that affects folks who are the working poor. Poverty tax.

No vaccine for you!

So many people at the top layer of government, who make these decisions about how to roll out the vaccines live in an Ivory Tower of wealth and privilege. They don't even understand not having transportation, internet access, not being able to miss work to get a shot. Clueless.
I'm from Louisiana. Numerous healthcare facilities, public health nurses, & university nursing instructors volunteered and manned vaccine clinics. Unfortunately, we have a huge, angry group of anti-vaxxers. They fight mask mandates and any phase our governor establishes.

Let's watch for it.

It won't matter in the US, because hospitals will still be obligated to treat them. Just like they're currently obligated to treat people with no medical insurance, including people who are the country illegally. jmo

I'm from Louisiana. Numerous healthcare facilities, public health nurses, & university nursing instructors volunteered and manned vaccine clinics. Unfortunately, we have a huge, angry group of anti-vaxxers. They fight mask mandates and any phase our governor establishes.

In my state, they had a HUGE center set up to administer 1000's of shots a day. Almost no one showed up, and I know this for a fact because it was walking distance from my house and I drove by nearly every day on my way to/from work. The people they had to use on the news to advertise who received a shot on-site were from Canada.

In my state, they had a HUGE center set up to administer 1000's of shots a day. Almost no one showed up, and I know this for a fact because it was walking distance from my house and I drove by nearly every day on my way to/from work. The people they had to use on the news to advertise who received a shot on-site were from Canada.

BBM: Are you sure? The border has been closed for a long time, and I can't imagine that Canadians posing as Americans would be considered essential workers. Is there a link for this info?

Residents in Sydney's north hear 'roaring' during lockdown

People living near Sydney's Taronga Zoo are getting a break from the sounds of city traffic, with many now waking to a very different noise.

Residents have reported hearing loud roars ringing out across Sydney's northern suburbs.

Katherine Spenceley from Taronga Zoo said the animals are doing what they've always done - it's human behaviour that's changed.

"Animals make noise all the time so it's much more likely that this has to do with people being home more and having less traffic to obscure some of that noise," Ms Spenceley told nine.com.au.

Smokers pay more for insurance. Reckless drivers pay more and can even find themselves in a situation where no one will cover them. There is a precedent for charging more for insurance for certain types of activities, or not covering certain claims, such as rock climbing, scuba diving, bungee jumping, or whatever other activities are listed in the fine print.

Insurance companies paid for covid treatment, but that was a huge cost. I suspect they will need to recover the cost, plus avoid further, unnecessary covid expense.

Perhaps, charging them more could be a solution.

I was just responding to the idea that an insurance company could drop them. I think the PPACA made it no longer possible to drop coverage of those who are at higher risks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77