GUILTY TN - Daniel Baker, Dickson County Deputy, Slain, 30 May 2018 *Arrests*

US prosecutor seeks death penalty after deputy killed

AUGUST 8, 2019

"NASHVILLE, Tenn. — A federal prosecutor is seeking the death penalty against a man charged with killing a Tennessee sheriff's deputy and burning his body and patrol car last year.

A federal grand jury indicted Steven Joshua Wiggins on Wednesday in the death of 32-year-old Dickson County Sgt. Daniel Baker, U.S. Attorney Don Cochran said in a news release Thursday.

The release says Attorney General William Barr granted authority to seek the death penalty for Wiggins, who is charged with federal carjacking and firearms violations that led to Baker's May 2018 death.

A state prosecutor has already said he's seeking the death penalty against Wiggins and Erika Castro-Miles in Baker's death. The two have pleaded not guilty to the murder charges by the state.

The federal and state cases will proceed parallel to each other, said U.S. attorney's office spokesman David Boling....."

US prosecutor seeks death penalty after deputy killed

New Tennessee Justice Center May Host Prominent Murder Case

August 28, 2019

"DICKSON COUNTY, Tenn.—If the completion date of the Dickson County Justice Center in Charlotte, Tenn., stays on target for August 2020, the new courtroom could be the location for the Steven Wiggins trial and Erika Castro-Miles trial. Both suspects were charged with first-degree murder in the death of Sgt. Daniel Baker in May 2018, and have trials tentatively scheduled for that month...."

New Tennessee Justice Center May Host Prominent Murder Case - Correctional News

Sgt. Baker displays of support may be limited at trial

Oct. 8, 2019

"The Dickson County judge presiding over the Sgt. Daniel Baker murder trial said he wanted to first observe the courtroom audience before announcing guidelines for how people can display their support for Baker.

The attorneys for Steven Wiggins, who is charged with first degree murder in Baker’s 2018 shooting death, filed a motion asking the judge to set parameters for showing support. At an Oct. 3 hearing in court, David Hopkins, a member of Wiggins’ legal counsel, explained their reasoning.

“The issue, your honor, is coming down to this: Is the jury going to decide this case on what’s provided with evidence? Or are they going to be allowed to be influenced by outside this courtroom?” Hopkins said.

“We are asking the court to conduct this trial in such a way that improper influences don’t come to bear,” Hopkins added. “We are also asking that there not be an overwhelming police presence. If you want to ensure there is a fair trial, you limit those kind of displays.”

Hopkins said specifically buttons and T-shirts in support of Baker could improperly sway a jury if worn in the courtroom.

Dickson County Circuit Court Judge David Wolfe said he would “reserve ruling” until the trial February next year. ..."

Sgt. Baker displays of support may be limited at trial

This is heart-breaking to watch. I don't think I've seen the defense cross any witness. It makes me wonder what is the point of this trial?

This is heart-breaking to watch. I don't think I've seen the defense cross any witness. It makes me wonder what is the point of this trial?
I think the defense is attempting to save Wiggins from death penalty. An attempt to prove murder was not premeditated...just an opinion.

I'm surprised more people aren't following this trial. There is tweet reporting for those who can't watch.
They are live in courtroom now.
@LawCrimeNetwork
·
7m

Watch LIVE: TN v. Steven Wiggins. Wiggins is accused of shooting and killing Sgt. Daniel Baker, then moving his patrol vehicle and burning the car with Baker's body in it. Watch here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=TB5bd9rkOL0

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson

18m
#AccusedCopKillerTrial - State plans to rest by the end of day tomorrow. We don't expect the defense to call any witnesses in this guilt phase. Their case will be more in the penalty phase.
@LawCrimeNetwork

@cathyrusson
6m
#AccusedCopKillerTrial - Agt. Nathaniel Proctor testifying about finding Sgt. Baker's patrol car, opening the back seat and Baker's legs came out. He was dead. He had been burned from about under his arm area down to his waist.
@LawCrimeNetwork

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back