IL IL - Bethany Bower, 38, belongings & dog found on front porch, Newton, 24 Jul 2021

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
A Jasper County woman is missing.

Bethany Ruby Bower is 38 years old and is a Newton resident, but was seen leaving her residence with all of her belongings, including her dog, on Saturday, July 24. However, all of the belongings, including the dog, were found on her front porch on Monday, July 26. Bethany had not been seen since the 24th.

Those who reported Bethany missing said she had no money, cell phone, or transportation, and may be in danger.

Bethany is a white female, 5'8" and weighing 160 to 170 pounds. She has straight, shoulder-length brown hair and hazel eyes, with freckles and full dentures.

Initial local reports said to contact the Jasper County Sheriff's Department in Newton with any information, but the sheriff's office said that the Newton Police Department is working with Illinois State Police on the case. Phone Newton police at 618-783-8478.

bethany%20bower-640.jpg

Jasper County Woman is Missing - Effingham's News and Sports Leader, 979XFM and KJ Country 102.3

MISSING PERSON

Bethany Rose Bower was last seen on July 28, 2021 in Newton. Bethany is 38 years old and has brown hair and hazel eyes. She is 5"8" and weighs 160-170.
If you have any information, please contact the Newton Police Department (618) 783-8478 or the Jasper County Sheriff's Department (618) 783-8477.

233518429_2175029505972086_9012668330920091229_n.jpg

Note: Last seen date discrepancy as well as middle name.

You said it, Guy.
From the article: "was seen leaving her residence" -- by whom? A neighbor, I guess. By what method did she leave -- on foot? Did she get a ride with a friend? Uber, etc.?

This is just plain odd. Need more info, but from where would the info come? Did someone in her neighborhood see her actually set off on this journey? I could possibly understand her dog returning if she got into some kind of trouble, but her belongings being there, too.
Again -- we need more info. This is a bit scary and a lot weird.
Following.

Almost sounds like whomever she was staying with had to have seen her leave or how would someone know she took EVERYTHING. Wheee there fingerprints on the bags; I wonder? Could she have brought the stuff and the dog back for safekeeping! Just trying to make sense of it all.

Almost sounds like whomever she was staying with had to have seen her leave or how would someone know she took EVERYTHING. Wheee there fingerprints on the bags; I wonder? Could she have brought the stuff and the dog back for safekeeping! Just trying to make sense of it all.

The article and missing poster sure leave many unanswered questions. You say with "whomever she was staying," but I don't see anything that indicates if she was staying with anyone. It says leaving her residence, but doesn't say if she lived alone or with anyone else. "All of her belongings" is equally ambiguous. To me that sounds like all of her worldly possessions, which could mean bags and boxes. But since it also says that she was seen leaving with all of her belongings, it must just mean purse and maybe one or two small items. Since it is known that she has no money or phone, it sounds like her phone and wallet were part of her "belongings." Of course she could have money that wasn't in the wallet, and I wonder if she has a credit card. It doesn't sound like a planned disappearance though, especially with the dog being left behind. It's very mysterious and very scary to contemplate the possibilities.

What stuck out for me in the missing poster was she has "full dentures". At 38? Gum disease can hit anyone at any age, but it seems odd in someone so young.

The missing teeth could also be the result of drug use (“meth mouth” is a common characteristic of methamphetamine users). Not implying that the missing person was a drug user, but it is a potential explanation for having full dentures at a relatively young age.

The article and missing poster sure leave many unanswered questions. You say with "whomever she was staying," but I don't see anything that indicates if she was staying with anyone. It says leaving her residence, but doesn't say if she lived alone or with anyone else. "All of her belongings" is equally ambiguous. To me that sounds like all of her worldly possessions, which could mean bags and boxes. But since it also says that she was seen leaving with all of her belongings, it must just mean purse and maybe one or two small items. Since it is known that she has no money or phone, it sounds like her phone and wallet were part of her "belongings." Of course she could have money that wasn't in the wallet, and I wonder if she has a credit card. It doesn't sound like a planned disappearance though, especially with the dog being left behind. It's very mysterious and very scary to contemplate the possibilities.

If she doesn’t have a phone I’m thinking she more than likely wouldn’t have a credit card.
If you look hard enough you can find where she stays, or so it seems to elude to a name as well.

The missing teeth could also be the result of drug use (“meth mouth” is a common characteristic of methamphetamine users). Not implying that the missing person was a drug user, but it is a potential explanation for having full dentures at a relatively young age.

People who lose teeth due to drug abuse are seldom likely to bother with the cost of dentures, in my experience. Why bother with paying for teeth when you can use that money for drugs?

People who lose teeth due to drug abuse are seldom likely to bother with the cost of dentures, in my experience. Why bother with paying for teeth when you can use that money for drugs?

Not relating this to Bethany, but prison will pull bad teeth then set you up with a full set of dentures.

Also people with diabetes have alot of gum/teeth problems.

A search shows that as her hometown. She has also been listed as living in the same place for a long time.

No landlines shows up, but she shows a cell number.

Could this be domestic related?

A search shows that as her hometown. She has also been listed as living in the same place for a long time.

No landlines shows up, but she shows a cell number.

Could this be domestic related?
Oh, my -- domestic problems didn't even come into my mind. I don't know why... Should have...
Thanks for the thought, @Filly, that could certainly be it. Hoping not.

Not relating this to Bethany, but prison will pull bad teeth then set you up with a full set of dentures.

Also people with diabetes have alot of gum/teeth problems.

That’s interesting. It makes sense. I read that it is a policy from the Prisons Bureau that inmates serving a sentence of greater than three years will be provided full or partial dentures if needed.

This is my neck of the woods. Meth is a very big problem in and around the Newton/Effingham area. But there is no indication that her current situation had anything to do with meth. Her court records only show a few alcohol infractions (DUI, providing alcohol to a minor).

Her FB posts seem to allude to her trying to separate herself from someone close to her.

There's very little information available at the moment. But it seems that she had decided to move out. You have to wonder whether someone decided they didn't want her to leave.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

upload_2021-8-29_22-40-51.jpeg
Full Name: Bethany Ruby Bower

Date of Last Contact: July 28, 2021

Circumstances of Disappearance
The missing person, Bethany Ruby Bower, was last seen at her residence in Newton, Illinois on 07/28/2021. Several of her personal belongings were located outside the residence. No contact with family or friends since this date.

https://jcdailynews.com/update-on-information-concerning-bethany-bower/ JC Daily News

August 13
UPDATE
from Chief Mike Swick and Officer Riley Britton

The investigation continues, Newton City Police along with the Illinois State Police and the Jasper County Sheriff’s Department are still attempting to locate Bethany Bower. She still remains missing. New leads occasionally come in and those leads are thoroughly investigated by all departments concerned.

Numerous areas have been searched with no result. If anyone has any information about Bethany Bower, please contact Newton Police Department, Illinois State Police or the Jasper County Sheriff’s Department.

Last edited:
https://jcdailynews.com/bethany-ruby-bower-38-remains-missing/ JC Daily News

UPDATE 2

Bethany Ruby Bower, 38, remains missing.

Bethany was last seen on July 28th.

Bethany is believed to have no cell phone, money, or transportation and may possibly be in danger.

INFORMATION ON SEARCHING
When searching, remain on public property unless you have the owner’s permission. Do NOT search in private woods, buildings, or farmland without owner permission.

Do NOT leave anything behind when searching. If the area becomes a crime scene, do you want your item to be considered evidence?

IMMEDIATELY contact the police if you see, hear, or know anything.
This should be your first contact, not family, not friends, only the police.

If you find something, do not touch it. Do not take pictures. Do not touch anything around you. Do not disturb the scene. Call 911 or 618-783-8477

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back