ID ID - Michael “Monkey” Vaughan, 5, last seen near home, Fruitland, 27 Jul 2021 #1 *endangered*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Checking properties is one thing, but who is checking them? And how thorough?

Soneone posted to say they think he’s very close to home and I can’t shake that feeling as well
I know. I've seen the requests from LE asking everyone to check their yards and outbuildings, etc. But I can't help but think that he might be hidden on someone's property, purposely by them.

It looks like temps in July and August for that area are highs in the 90s and lows in the 50s and 60s. Does anyone know if there have been any days of inclement weather since he went missing?

Every day that passes my heart breaks even more for this sweet monkey
It has been very hot and in the 100's during the day and 70-80's at night. A pretty good thunderstorm rolled through last Saturday night. I don't know how bad it was in Fruitland but where I am we had a huge tree come down and 2" of rain. There were flash floods in many areas.

It has been very hot and in the 100's during the day and 70-80's at night. A pretty good thunderstorm rolled through last Saturday night. I don't know how bad it was in Fruitland but where I am we had a huge tree come down and 2" of rain. There were flash floods in many areas.
I think we are all just gripped thinking of this young lad, and the time that has elapsed. With boys, it seems they are drawn to water. That is where I would focus. I think Tracker suggested within a 2 ish mile radius.

I'm sorry to have to even suggest this, but I think this is where the focus should be at this point, *unless* other information comes to light suggesting an abduction. What's with all these vanishing children? Heartbreaking, truly heartbreaking.

Amateur opinion and speculation

I know. I've seen the requests from LE asking everyone to check their yards and outbuildings, etc. But I can't help but think that he might be hidden on someone's property, purposely by them.

I’ve volunteered on two separate searches for two victims who were later found on private property very close to the SAR perimeter. Neither owners checked their properties despite extensive media coverage and requests by police. One victim was found months later, one a year later. (Private beach front and a section of a golf course closed off for construction.)

I think we are all just gripped thinking of this young lad, and the time that has elapsed. With boys, it seems they are drawn to water. That is where I would focus. I think Tracker suggested within a 2 ish mile radius.

I'm sorry to have to even suggest this, but I think this is where the focus should be at this point, *unless* other information comes to light suggesting an abduction. What's with all these vanishing children? Heartbreaking, truly heartbreaking.

Amateur opinion and speculation
I hate to think this, also, but I can’t believe a Ring doorbell or other security camera wouldn’t have picked him up elsewhere in the neighborhood. The place he would be less likely to be seen/noticed would be if he crossed the street and headed into the fields. Otherwise, someone must have grabbed him almost in front of his house. LE told us they have collected security footage, but have not indicated if Michael was seen on it.
Not being seen can be as big a clue as being seen.

Gosh, looks like this little chap has disappeared without a trace.
Last sighting at 6.30pm, reported missing 7.15pm?
He could have been picked up and have been driven over 50 miles in 3/4 hour.

Interesting how LE, even after this length of time is still asking locals to search in and around their homes and I wonder if the working theory is that he's still in the neighborhood, being held by someone and LE strategy at this point is to 'prick that persons conscience'.

I don't know how the strategy works across the pond, but usually in the UK the next press conf would be asking 'if you know anything or have him, please let him come home'.

It's a fine line between not wanting to accuse the local community, but keeping them on board at the same time.

So terribly sad.

Last edited:
Gosh, looks like this little chap has disappeared without a trace.
Last sighting at 6.30pm, reported missing 7.15pm?
He could have been picked up and have been driven over 50 miles in 3/4 hour.

Interesting how LE, even after this length of time is still asking locals to search in and around their homes and I wonder if the working theory is that he's still in the neighborhood, being held by someone and LE strategy at this point is to 'prick that persons conscience'.

I don't know how the strategy works across the pond, but usually in the UK the next press conf would be looking at the 'if you have him, please let him come home'.

So terribly sad.

And sadly, that could be a losing strategy because many of these predators have no conscience. :(

Me, too. I’ve thought of dumped freezers or other appliances that might be in the area. But the smell of decomposition would be very noticeable and the SAR teams would have found her, imo.
Sorry—I am switching back and forth between Michael’s thread and Summer’s thread, trying to follow both. I thought I was in the Summer Wells thread when I posted this. I also hope this little boy didn’t venture into a car trunk.

Sorry—I am switching back and forth between Michael’s thread and Summer’s thread, trying to follow both. I thought I was in the Summer Wells thread when I posted this. I also hope this little boy didn’t venture into a car trunk.
Sadly, the theory could hold for both of these sweet 5 her olds. These cases seem very different but are actually quite similar. 2 adventurous 5 yr olds step outside and disappear immediately?

I was trying to find a case from a few years back where a little one went missing and was found a few days later in the trunk of a vehicle on the parent property. I remember being beyond angry that every single vehicle on the property wasn’t immediately checked. Anyway I can’t find it because I googled and there were so many results for kids found dead in trunks that I just couldn’t.

I wonder about a strategy of asking the neighbors, perhaps one block at a time, whether they would voluntarily open their home to LE to search. Not that LE would actually conduct thise searches, but to make note of which houses say no.

Probably not legal but it would feel tempting to try.

I was trying to find a case from a few years back where a little one went missing and was found a few days later in the trunk of a vehicle on the parent property. I remember being beyond angry that every single vehicle on the property wasn’t immediately checked. Anyway I can’t find it because I googled and there were so many results for kids found dead in trunks that I just couldn’t.

I remember one like this from Texas...could be what you are thinking of. A two year old went missing and was found dead of hyperthermia inside a minivan that resembled one owned by his family. Police theorized after the fact that he might have gone in thinking it was his own family's vehicle. Neighbors said they had looked inside the minivan the day he went missing but possibly the window tint made it hard to see him: Autopsy Confirms 2-Year-Old Denton Boy's Death Was an Accident

I wonder about a strategy of asking the neighbors, perhaps one block at a time, whether they would voluntarily open their home to LE to search. Not that LE would actually conduct thise searches, but to make note of which houses say no.

The police did something similar in a missing child’s case in Toronto. (Holly Jones, found murdered.) They did a ‘DNA sweep’ of her neighbourhood, asking all males to provide a sample. I think only two men declined: one was her killer.
'Blooding:' A look at how police have used DNA sweeps in Canadian criminal cases - NEWS 1130

I think LE can ask neighbors to voluntarily open their homes for a search. When 6 year old Faye Marie Swetlik was missing, officers did search the property where she was concealed in a laundry bag, though they didn't realize it and did not find her at that time. They even saw the bag but did not recognize its significance. The killer was not home but his roommate voluntarily consented to the search.

Where it gets legally dicey is, can LE take someone's refusal to let their property be searched as a reason to narrow the investigation's focus on them as a person of interest? People do have a constitutional right to refuse a warrantless search. I do not think a prior refusal meets the standard for a judge to sign a search warrant, I think there has to be some other probable cause that a crime was committed.

Just repeating this link from a few days ago; at least 200 houses have been searched, and there's another link somewhere that references entire subdivisions that have been searched. I haven't seen anything about refusals to have homes searched, but I'm sure it wouldn't be publicized if so.

I feel pretty confident in the LE in this case. I don't know what's happened here, but I think they're on it.

My sense is that Fruitland is taking this personally and is considering Michael the town's child, and have closed ranks against "outsiders" on sm that they feel are posting the usual toxic junk.

https://www.kivitv.com/news/fruitla...arch-efforts-to-locate-missing-5-year-old-boy

Law enforcement have been in peoples' homes (that are in the primary search area) multiple times according to chief Huff.

"I would also like to extend my heartfelt appreciation to our friends and residents in the primary search area of SW8th St., SW9th St., Crestview Subdivision, Hidden Meadows Subdivision, and the Three River’s Way Subdivision. Your patience with our investigation doesn’t go unnoticed. We have been through your homes and in some instances several times."

Law enforcement have been in peoples' homes (that are in the primary search area) multiple times according to chief Huff.

"I would also like to extend my heartfelt appreciation to our friends and residents in the primary search area of SW8th St., SW9th St., Crestview Subdivision, Hidden Meadows Subdivision, and the Three River’s Way Subdivision. Your patience with our investigation doesn’t go unnoticed. We have been through your homes and in some instances several times."

I wonder why "several times" why go back unless they thought something was there? IMO

Just repeating this link from a few days ago; at least 200 houses have been searched, and there's another link somewhere that references entire subdivisions that have been searched. I haven't seen anything about refusals to have homes searched, but I'm sure it wouldn't be publicized if so.

I feel pretty confident in the LE in this case. I don't know what's happened here, but I think they're on it.

My sense is that Fruitland is taking this personally and is considering Michael the town's child, and have closed ranks against "outsiders" on sm that they feel are posting the usual toxic junk.

https://www.kivitv.com/news/fruitla...arch-efforts-to-locate-missing-5-year-old-boy

I’m watching from a distance, but how Michael’s case is being handled seems to be productive and positive.

I wish we could hear more productive updates from LE in Summer’s case to counter the negative social media presence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clancehan