GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is perplexing. There were people in and out of the park. Emma walked in and immediately saw Bowie, and pretty quickly saw Katie. Did no one else see them? It makes me think maybe she was killed closer to the time she was found. Or maybe she was killed in a more hidden area and her body drug to where it was found. Although that doesn't seem too likely I admit. Just some of the location/timeline things aren't making sense to me yet. Unless some people did see her and just kept walking and have since kept their mouths shut. Or maybe they have spoken to police and it just isn't public yet. I would be interested to know if the police have good idea of the time she was killed.

I find this odd/interesting as well. Thats why a few posts back I asked why Emma would be following Katie via the iPhone app though I think I'm satisfied on this point now.

Still, I just can't get my head around the fact that the first person who discovers them and calls 911 is also the significant other. I mean, what are the odds of that? The surveillance video shows any number of people walking thru or by the scene.

I find this odd/interesting as well. Thats why a few posts back I asked why Emma would be following Katie via the iPhone app though I think I'm satisfied on this point now.

Still, I just can't get my head around the fact that the first person who discovers them and calls 911 is also the significant other. I mean, what are the odds of that? The surveillance video shows any number of people walking thru or by the scene.

The first 911 call was actually another person walking through the park, her partner was the second call shortly after. The first call is not public yet for some reason.

The killer likely knew she had a phone. Did the killer want her found quickly? And did they kill her know they had a short window of time before someone/Emma came looking for her?

Emma stated that she used the "find my iphone" app to find her. Once you use that app the phone starts pinging and making a sound so they probably got out of there real quick knowing that someone was likely on the way looking for her

The first 911 call was actually another person walking through the park, her partner was the second call shortly after. The first call is not public yet for some reason.

This is interesting, for some reason I thought Emma's 911 call was the first, the fact that they're not releasing the other call lends suspicion since perps like to have their crime scenes "discovered". Also, the voice in the background when Emma was on the 911 call, did that witness stick around?

This is interesting, for some reason I thought Emma's 911 call was the first, the fact that they're not releasing the other call lends suspicion since perps like to have their crime scenes "discovered". Also, the voice in the background when Emma was on the 911 call, did that witness stick around?

Yes! That person waited on LE with Emma and was cooperative.

As for the runner that ran in the park and was out 30-40 seconds later I think he saw something that spooked him. Either Bowie or he may have witnessed part of the killing and thought it looked like something else (might have looked at first glance like two people hooking up from a distance)

Emma stated that she used the "find my iphone" app to find her. Once you use that app the phone starts pinging and making a sound so they probably got out of there real quick knowing that someone was likely on the way looking for her
You can use the find my iPhone app without triggering a sound from the phone. First the devices are located and displayed on a map. Then you have to select a device then opt to play a sound from the "lost" device. The sound is not automatic.

Last edited:
As to the statements about how easily Emma spotted Katie, I struggled with this too. However, Emma knew there was a person (Katie) that accompanied Bowie. Emma sees the dog and immediately becomes hyper alert and starts looking for Katie. Others may have seen the dog, were disgusted at the sight and chose to look away not wanting to see something that’s hard to look at.

For example, the runners headlamp is pointed down towards what he feels might be a safe location to look. He isn’t observing his surroundings. The guy with the cane is looking at his phone, not aware of his surroundings.

The guy in the hoodie though…something feels off about him to me. I don’t know exactly why, but he’s not dressed like anyone else in the camera footage. Now, it’s late and maybe other illegal activities are taking place that he may or may not be a part of…but something bothers me about how bundled up he is.

All of this is MOO.

The idea of this jogger seeing something that made him turn around is also hard for me to grasp. Why would it take 41 seconds to jog in 50 feet (Bowie's supposed location), then turn around and jog back out 50 ft? He is not bolting out in terror, as Emma and the bystander apparently did, he was jogging out, at 12:46.

One local news source listed Emma's 911 call coming in at 1:11, but we also know there was a certain amount of time before Emma's arrival where Katie wasn't answering her phone. From my understanding, Emma's work, their home, and the crime location are all within a mile or two from each other. Is that correct?

Imo, it's possible the crime happened in a very narrow span between 12:47 and 1am.

Last edited:
The idea of this jogger seeing something that made him turn around is also hard for me to grasp. Why would it take 41 seconds to jog in 50 feet (Bowie's supposed location), then turn around and jog back out 50 ft? He is not bolting out in terror, as Emma and the bystander apparently did, he was jogging out, at 12:46.

Maybe he just went in to use the bathroom by a tree or in the bushes…I can’t see any other reason for him to go in just to turn around and come out besides seeing something/bathroom. Then again, there isn’t much that is making sense to me. You are right though, he doesn’t seem spooked.

Maybe he just went in to use the bathroom by a tree or in the bushes…I can’t see any other reason for him to go in just to turn around and come out besides seeing something/bathroom. Then again, there isn’t much that is making sense to me. You are right though, he doesn’t seem spooked.
I agree, I think that's why he went in, too. But if Emma could see Bowie from the gate, so could the jogger, which is why I question if Bowie was even there yet when the jogger went in.

The killer likely knew she had a phone. Did the killer want her found quickly? And did they kill her know they had a short window of time before someone/Emma came looking for her?

Could be. But why risk being caught? What if Emma came looking for her before she actually did? Maybe he's just a disorganised killer, or a mix of both. Probably a mix of both. I don't know

maybe the dog was dying slowly and moved himself there
poor little thing

This is what I think. Also thinking of different ways the tree limb could have been used. The mind can go crazy places if we let it. But we need facts. I am thinking how you can string up a leash over a tree limb but have not wanted to say anything like that. But since we are back to re-hashing the jogger again, among other things, why not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard