WA WA - D.B. Cooper Hijacking Mystery, 24 Nov 1971 #4

From all that I have read, it is absolutely impossible for the money found a Teena Bar to have gotten there from the satchel that D. B. had in the airplane without direct human intervention. While it is possible that someone in Southwest Washington St. came upon the dead body of D.B. in the wilderness and took the money while concealing the body and parachute, it seems so much more likely that D. B. Survived and got out with the money (Occam’s razor and common sense). Still, it is hard to see how burying two bundles of bills on a beach along the Columbia might fit in to with either scenario.

From what I can tell, the beach is on private land that some people, with permission on the owner, have access to in the summer. In the winter, there would probably be few people around and someone could probably bury something there discreetly but the presence of people in the summer might make it susceptible to being found. Could that have been the intention all along? I don’t have a real handle on the” lay of the land” there. A beach is an easy place to dig a hole, but it would be extremely difficult to find that exact spot months or years later if the intention was to retrieved it at a later time.

The name of the place is Teena Bar and the name of the flight attendant who stayed with him was Tina. Just a coincidence or a weird joke?

I think there is a real possibility that most of the money was hidden in an appropriate place in that general are but DB, for some reason, placed two bundles in that spot. Whatever the reason, he would have had no intention of ever retrieving that money.

At this time, almost 50 years later, it is unlikely that any evidence of other digging or a hidden cash in the general area, could be found.

From all that I have read, it is absolutely impossible for the money found a Teena Bar to have gotten there from the satchel that D. B. had in the airplane without direct human intervention. While it is possible that someone in Southwest Washington St. came upon the dead body of D.B. in the wilderness and took the money while concealing the body and parachute, it seems so much more likely that D. B. Survived and got out with the money (Occam’s razor and common sense). Still, it is hard to see how burying two bundles of bills on a beach along the Columbia might fit in to with either scenario.

From what I can tell, the beach is on private land that some people, with permission on the owner, have access to in the summer. In the winter, there would probably be few people around and someone could probably bury something there discreetly but the presence of people in the summer might make it susceptible to being found. Could that have been the intention all along? I don’t have a real handle on the” lay of the land” there. A beach is an easy place to dig a hole, but it would be extremely difficult to find that exact spot months or years later if the intention was to retrieved it at a later time.

The name of the place is Teena Bar and the name of the flight attendant who stayed with him was Tina. Just a coincidence or a weird joke?

I think there is a real possibility that most of the money was hidden in an appropriate place in that general are but DB, for some reason, placed two bundles in that spot. Whatever the reason, he would have had no intention of ever retrieving that money.

At this time, almost 50 years later, it is unlikely that any evidence of other digging or a hidden cash in the general area, could be found.

Yes Kemo, if not impossible, fantastically unlikely. I agree that mostly likely someone, I've always thought the family that found it was a little suspicious, put that money there as a red herring. I also find it odd that a man who seemingly blended into regular society/air passengers so well, would live a life, be such a loner, where no one would notice or comment if he died or went missing. The few that I've heard of make no sense. The 'Dan Cooper' comic/ Canada connection is also interesting. The stewardesses and FBI said he had no discernible accent, when is often how mid-westerners are described, and Canadians as well. That's kinda my whole nut on the case...It would be nice to see the dig uncover something, but if I hold my breath on this too long, I'm gonna croak. ;/

I also find it odd that a man who seemingly blended into regular society/air passengers so well, would live a life, be such a loner, where no one would notice or comment if he died or went missing. The few that I've heard of make no sense.
I have seen documentaries and have read about this case and they always suspect someone still alive or lived long after the hijacking but rarely mention he may have died in the jump. I never even hear them mention if they looked into people being reported missing at that time. I sometimes think people are more concerned about getting credit for solving a crime than getting to the truth of what actually happened.

I have seen documentaries and have read about this case and they always suspect someone still alive or lived long after the hijacking but rarely mention he may have died in the jump. I never even hear them mention if they looked into people being reported missing at that time. I sometimes think people are more concerned about getting credit for solving a crime than getting to the truth of what actually happened.
I'm not saying he was necessarily Cooper, but I always thought Ted Mayfield was an interesting character. It's a shame one of the two journalists compiling information on him died, as it meant their book on Mayfield as a Cooper suspect was never published.

Ted Mayfield was a suspect early on in the investigation but his whereabouts on the evening of the hijacking is known and he was dropped as a suspect.

Ted Mayfield was a suspect early on in the investigation but his whereabouts on the evening of the hijacking is known and he was dropped as a suspect.
I'd have to go back and listen to the interviews again, but from what I remember of them (and this was a few years ago now) Mayfield's alibi was based on the fact he routinely told people that the FBI phoned him on the night of the incident to ask for his expertise re parachutes and jump conditions. It was later established that in fact he had phoned the FBI in order to offer his services. This was several hours after Cooper jumped, and so Dvorak and Myers' hypothesis was that Mayfield placed the call in order to establish an alibi, and that actually the timeline gave him long enough to - in theory - have jumped, landed safely, made it home, and phoned the FBI.

As I say, I'm not saying Mayfield was Cooper, but from what I remember of him as a suspect his alibi was always suspect.

The FBI does possess a "partial DNA sample " presumably of Cooper since it was extracted from the clip on tie he wore and left behind on the plane. Eventually I think forensic genealogy should eventually ID Cooper.

I have this prediction if/when Cooper is finally ID'd. ABC will find some relatives to interview who'll likely be an elderly couple somewhere in Indiana. And they'll ponder "wow we always wondered why my cousin Billy never showed up for Thanksgiving back in '71.". "And we always joked that he looked like the drawing of the Cooper guy they was showing on the news. And you know, we always thought it was bit strange that he decided to take parachute lessons, of all things to do, out of the blue just before he went missing". SHAZAM you mean Billy is DB COOPER!!???

I have this prediction if/when Cooper is finally ID'd. ABC will find some relatives to interview who'll likely be an elderly couple somewhere in Indiana. And they'll ponder "wow we always wondered why my cousin Billy never showed up for Thanksgiving back in '71.". "And we always joked that he looked like the drawing of the Cooper guy they was showing on the news. And you know, we always thought it was bit strange that he decided to take parachute lessons, of all things to do, out of the blue just before he went missing". SHAZAM you mean Billy is DB COOPER!!???
Somehow I just don’t see any relatives remembering events, or lack of, 50 years later. Cooper will die, or already has and someone will come across a box of money and maybe newspaper clippings from that time. Then it will all unfold. It’s hard for me to imagine though that he’s kept quiet about it this whole time and had to at some point told people he was Cooper.

So what do you guys think of the Dan Gryder DB Cooper 'report'?

61140-420x236.jpg

Who was "Dan (D.B.) Cooper"?
Hijacker of Northwest Airlines Flight 305 on 24 November 1971

LINKS:

Searching for D.B. Cooper 'historic sites' in Portland and Seattle

All Over The Map: New search for DB Cooper clues along Columbia River’s Tena Bar

D.B. Cooper skyjacking mystery endures

I've never read anything that convinced me Richard McCoy was not D.B. Cooper. The first time I read about this case I assumed he did it. The "lack of eyewitness match" seems like garbage because he looks like the sketches, in my opinion. Then he commits another similar hijacking? As if the logic is: He did it once so he would NEVER do it again! That doesn't make sense to me. Have any of the other suspects committed a similar crime? That alone shows McCoy was more than capable.

I have always believed it was either McCoy, Rackstraw, or William Smith. It seems like the FBI botched this and wanted to convince people it wasn't McCoy.

I've never read anything that convinced me Richard McCoy was not D.B. Cooper. The first time I read about this case I assumed he did it. The "lack of eyewitness match" seems like garbage because he looks like the sketches, in my opinion. Then he commits another similar hijacking? As if the logic is: He did it once so he would NEVER do it again! That doesn't make sense to me. Have any of the other suspects committed a similar crime? That alone shows McCoy was more than capable.

I have always believed it was either McCoy, Rackstraw, or William Smith. It seems like the FBI botched this and wanted to convince people it wasn't McCoy.
Tina Mucklow identified him as not being Cooper. That’s good enough for me. McCoy was purely a copycat. Cooper made McCoy look like an amateur.

McCoy's story is absolutely fascinating. Even if it is overshadowed by Cooper's.

D.B. Cooper Mystery May Have Been
The notorious hijacker, who is one of the 20th century's most compelling masterminds, hijacked a Boeing 727 at Seattle-Tacoma airport in 1971 and held its crew and passengers hostage with a bom

48C7AEDA00000578-5338059-image-a-8_1517516888988.jpg

LINKS:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie