Found Deceased Spain - Esther Dingley, from UK, missing in the Pyrenees, Nov 2020 #7

Right. I meant to reply to this on the previous thread.

I think your yellow line is much too far from the ridge. It's hard to judge scales by eye, and of course there are distortions inherent in Google Earth, but the big square block on the slope below the summit looks to be about 100m from the summit, according to géoportail. The distance from the path to Federico_A's point X is likewise about 100m. That would put your your line more like 50-100m from the ridge.

I had assumed it was vertical where she fell.... I have recalculated and the yellow line is at 50m from the top if the slope is 30 degrees. It's 30 m from the top if the slope is 60 degrees. I have popped a second line on there which is 25m if the slope is 30 degrees.
25m below Pic Glere.png

Posted by DC on the Esther and Dan FB page.
I’ve made a donation to his very worthwhile cause in memory of ED. I hope others on here will consider doing so.

“Dear Friends,

I’ve always found that writing helps me make sense of the world, in the same way Esther took pictures to share her joy. But today I’m struggling to extract any sense from the chaos, or frankly to even see the keyboard through the bouts of tears.

But I also feel this is important to do today following on from some of the many messages we’ve received in the past few days.

In the days or weeks ahead, Esther will be returned to us. Years ago, we promised each other that on our 70th anniversary we’d walk hand in hand on the same beach we visited on our first anniversary. We’d eat chips, play in the arcade again, fail to win any cuddly toys, and reflect on all of our many adventures before, hopefully, slipping away together in time – still holding hands if we could.

In the end we only got 19 of those years. It’s more than a lot of people get with a soul mate, but (selfishly) it isn’t nearly enough. She’d already taught me so much about how to live, how to love and how to live a multicoloured life. That’s what she called our lifestyle, the beautiful, trusting, simple way that she used to squeeze in so much joy into every waking moment. I honestly believe our best years were yet to come.

Knowing that Esther didn’t suffer, that she was doing what she loved and that our last words were “I love you” will (perhaps), one day give more comfort than I can find today. I also hope I can find a way forward that honours Esther’s spirit, though I haven’t a clue yet what that looks like.

Of course, Esther also had a backup plan – she always did. That’s why, when the time is right and after a very small family service, her ashes will be scattered in the places she loved the most. She’d have done the same for me – and we’d already agreed on those places.

And that’s why I’m writing this.

Following suggestions from some of you, in lieu of flowers and cards etc., I’ve set up a fundraising page to raise money for a charity close to Esther’s heart – Sightsavers, who work to cure preventable blindness (The Royal Commonwealth Society For The Blind- Sightsavers | Protecting sight and fighting for disability rights)

Sharing the beauty of the world was another of Esther’s passions. It’s why she set up all of our social media in the first place and posted so many pictures. That anybody should be unable to see this amazing universe we inhabit, for totally preventable reasons, hurt her deeply.

I’ve set a target of £5000, just a few pounds more than Esther raised last year in her epic NHS bike challenge. I hope we can reach that goal.

https://www..com/f/t8gevj-remembering-esther

At the same time, if you would like to, please leave a message on that fundraising page. If you want to share a personal memory, long or short, named or anonymous, if you would like to then just speak to Esther.

My commitment is to read out each message to Esther when we do lay her to rest. I think she’d like that.

And, if aren’t able to donate at the moment or would just prefer to send a message privately, please do so via the Facebook page or blog – and I’ll read those to Esther as well.

Thank you all.

p.s. Not sure when I’ll post again, but I will be leaving all of our pages online – they’re the second best testimonial to Esther that I can think of. The best is simply to live life bravely, and gently, and kindly, and to smile at strangers. Because that’s who my angel was.”

Asterisk have replaced the fundraising site so I’m guessing WS doesn’t allow this kind of link. (Admin, Sorry if I’m now in trouble)
Those that are on FB can go to the Esther & Dan page.

Am extremely saddened for all who loved ED. My logic leads me to think the tragedy resulted from an unforeseeable (to her in the preceding 8 minutes prior to her fall) confluence of factors. If she left her backpack on, and emphasize "if", as she attempted "a position" on a ledge or peak, with worn shoes....perfect storm.

Are there any native French speakers in the house?

I'm puzzling over a couple of remarks made by the procureur, M. Amunzateguy, as reported in the French media.

The first is that "Le corps a été découvert en bas d’une sorte de piton rocheux". I presume the suggestion is that Esther had been on that pinnacle ("piton") when she fell. But would that refer to the Pic de la Glère itself, or to some sub-peak below it?

The second is that "C'est une zone où il faut être un sacré montagnard pour y aller". Is that a general remark about the nature of the terrain in the high Pyrenees, or does it seem to refer to the specific location of her body?

Pyrénées. Mort d'Esther Dingley : la blogueuse anglaise a très certainement été victime d'un accident | Actu Toulouse

Disparition d'Esther Dingley : l'autopsie confirme l'hypothèse de la chute mortelle
Not a native spreaker, but IMO, a 'piton rocheaux', in the hiking/climbing world, means a peak above a near-vertical rock wall. A climber ascends the piton by driving in artificial spikes for footholds and using ropes with partners. (deleted remark about going down a piton)

Most pitons are just along one side of the maintain, often there is a gentle slope on the other side that can be hiked without equipment. This is because of the geology of mountain building through plate tectonics. Climbers, being ornery, choose to go up the rock wall.

ETA, there's no suggestion she fell from a major peak, as the piton wasn't named. Probably it was just a small outcrop along the mountain since it wasn't particulary high off the trail where remains were first found.

I think the reference to the techical difficulty refers to where she was found. IMO this shows she was very unlikely to have walked to where she died, or been dragged there by a bear or human.

This would explain why the area wasn't searched before, or encountered by other hikers. Luckily, Dan found it without killing himself in the process. That's why SAR often ask family not to search, but evidently there was no stopping Dan, his devotion to Esther was, IMO, unlimited.

Last edited:
This is a google earth link so you can play around with the view angles of the site:

http://www.grpdesbf.nl/esfr-mapdata...a-331-332-shortcut-via-lacdelamontagnette.kml

It's the Esther Dingley area - with the pink trail being the shortcut from Refuge Vanesque to the base of Port de la Glere path

I found the shadows hadn't been added into earlier imagery on Google Earth, so you can view the face back in time. For example, here from 2006 with the yellow pin behind, showing the point that people have been suggesting she may have left the path to access the Pic from. The face might be a bit different now though of course!

Does anyone have any thoughts on why a person would head to the ledge (assuming that's what she did) by leaving the trail? She wouldn't gain much of a view compared to just approaching the Port, which has a wide open view of the valley below. On Google Earth as well it looks like a pretty steep jog up to the ridgeline to even be in a position to fall below, so one would think it wouldn't be something she would try.

Anyone have any thoughts if she maybe approached from the other side, i.e. along the ridgeline? There is an area there that starts to descend and maybe she thought it was the Port, even though that was further along the ridgeline? I just can't wrap my head around how she would leave the path, climb up to the ridge, and then fall from it, considering she would have a really great view just up ahead along the path.

Not a native spreaker, but IMO, a 'piton rocheaux', in the hiking/climbing world, means a peak above a near-vertical rock wall. A climber ascends the piton by driving in artificial spikes for footholds and using ropes with partners. (deleted remark about going down a piton)

Most pitons are just along one side of the maintain, often there is a gentle slope on the other side that can be hiked without equipment. This is because of the geology of mountain building through plate tectonics. Climbers, being ornery, choose to go up the rock wall.

ETA, there's no suggestion she fell from a major peak, as the piton wasn't named. Probably it was just a small outcrop along the mountain since it wasn't particulary high off the trail where remains were first found.

I think the reference to the techical difficulty refers to where she was found. IMO this shows she was very unlikely to have walked to where she died, or been dragged there by a bear or human.

This would explain why the area wasn't searched before, or encountered by other hikers. Luckily, Dan found it without killing himself in the process. That's why SAR often ask family not to search, but evidently there was no stopping Dan, his devotion to Esther was, IMO, unlimited.
I think I'm looking for the kinds of nuances and subtexts that a native speaker might pick up that I might miss. None of the news sources seems to be quoting M. Amunzateguy's statement in its entirety, so it's a question of putting together bits and pieces. A Google image search for "piton rocheux" gives a fair idea of the kinds of formations that might be described in that way, but the description strikes me as implying a fall from a pinnacle, not simply to a point below one. But again, these are the things a native speaker might be more attuned to.

Does anyone have any thoughts on why a person would head to the ledge (assuming that's what she did) by leaving the trail? She wouldn't gain much of a view compared to just approaching the Port, which has a wide open view of the valley below.
There are a few suggestions in the last few pages of this thread. But the view from the Port isn't wide open. The path takes a sharp bend up a series of switchbacks as it enters the Port, and the view back down the trail is obscured.

https://sp-images.summitpost.org/64...2.1.1&q=35&s=899b803068376a187e2fce8b20911c54

The terrain on the Spanish side is fairly flat at first. In fact you can't see much from the Port in any direction.

Last edited:
Esther Dingley's final steps retraced to spot where she fell 100ft to her death

THE Sun retraced the last steps of tragic hiker Esther Dingley yesterday to the spot where she fell 100-feet to her death from a Pyrenean peak.

We launched a nine-hour mission 8,000-feet up the stunning Port de la Glere mountain pass to the rocky ridge where the British action girl perished.

And we saw first hand the savage beauty of the crag that sparked the 10-month mystery which ended in heartbreak this week when her partner Dan found her skeletal remains.

Oxford graduate and experienced hiker Esther, 37, is believed to have fallen after making a fatal miscalculation as she descended the then snow-covered pass last November.

A mountain guide who led the Sun team to the wind-blown ridge at the top of the mountain explained how the small error could quickly escalate into tragedy in such harsh terrain.

Philippe Petriccione believes solo hiker Esther made a fateful wrong turn as she sought refuge after summiting the 9,000-foot Pic de Sauvegarde peak.

Instead of traversing back along an easier route on the Spanish side of the border he believes she attempted to reach a refuge in the more treacherous north-facing French side.

Philippe led The Sun team to the rocky scree-strewn slope where a recovery operation retrieved Esther’s remains and kit earlier this week.

The 41-year-old mountain man - who has worked in the Pyrenees for 15 years - said: “A woman hiking alone with a heavy pack on her pack in November would have found it challenging with snow on the ground - no matter how experienced.

“It would appear she made a tactical error on the much more difficult on the French side of the border.

“There is a good mobile signal on the Spanish side of the pass but zero on the French, which might also have prevented her from getting help.

BBM

Not sure what to think of this.

Esther had been to the Pic de Sauvegarde before, why would she make THAT mistake all of a sudden? The Refuge de Venasque (if that is what they are hinting at) was within sight and the weather was good, the snow came later.

I still can't get my head round why Esther attempted to go up the Pic de la Glere. I've listed some reasons below but maybe I am missing things, or wrong.

Was she climbing up the Pic from the French side, or did she fall from the top after entering Spain? Or even, was she in Spain the whole time?

If she was on the way to the Port de la Glere from France, she'd have had to be lost to head up the Pic , and unable to assess the danger for some reason (darkness or poor visibility).
If she was coming from the Spanish side, she'd also have to be lost.

I'm presuming she went up the path to the Port from France, and then into Spain. I've listed some reasons (not mutually exclusive) as to why she might have gone off the main path at this point, and headed up the Pic:-

1) To Shelter - (I think I read that there was some snow the evening she was assumed to have been trying the route, 23rd Nov. 2020)

This is my best guess, and that she later became hypothermic and disorientated.

It could have been temporary shelter, or for an overnight bivouac (if she was late arriving at the Port de la Glere) or even a permanent stop due to injury/exhaustion.
The tent should therefore be somewhere over the Spanish side (unless she was really unaware of the risks beyond the ridge and walked over it to pitch)

2) Chased there, or she was scared of something nearby (it being the only place to gain shelter or height)

3) To try and get a phone signal

4) To get a view/photo of Spain and France, and possibly a selfie
5) Climb one last mountain before heading for home

6) She got onto a different path by mistake (but even in poor visibility, surely she'd know that the path shouldn't be going steeply upwards?)

7) Voluntary fall

Any other scenarios?

Last edited:
Oxford graduate and experienced hiker Esther, 37, is believed to have fallen after making a fatal miscalculation as she descended the then snow-covered pass last November.

Not sure what to think of this.

Esther had been to the Pic de Sauvegarde before, why would she make THAT mistake all of a sudden? The Refuge de Venasque (if that is what they are hinting at) was within sight and the weather was good, the snow came later.

RSBM and BBM, no I'm not sure what to make of it either. After going to the trouble of a "nine-hour mission" they don't seen to have offered much. They think she was descending at Port de la Glere? That would imply the unlikely westward ridge route again. So what refuge are they on about that she was attempting to reach?

Also the map/diagram thingy has the skull and body south east of Sauvegarde, somewhere around the Cabane de Besurta. They really don't seem to have a clue about the geography.

Last edited:
I still can't get my head round why Esther attempted to go up the Pic de la Glere. I've listed some reasons below but maybe I am missing things, or wrong.

Was she climbing up the Pic from the French side, or did she fall from the top after entering Spain? Or even, was she in Spain the whole time?

If she was on the way to the Port de la Glere from France, she'd have had to be lost to head up the Pic , and unable to assess the danger for some reason (darkness or poor visibility).

I'm presuming she went up the path to the Port from France, and then into Spain. I've listed some reasons (not mutually exclusive) as to why she might have gone off the main path at this point, and headed up the Pic:-

1) To Shelter - (I think I read that there was some snow the evening she was assumed to have been trying the route, 23rd Nov. 2020)

It could have been temporary shelter, or for an overnight bivouac (if she was late arriving at the Port de la Glere) or even a permanent stop due to injury/exhaustion.
The tent should therefore be somewhere over the Spanish side (unless she was really unaware of the risks beyond the ridge and walked over it to pitch)

2) Chased there, or she was scared of something nearby (it being the only place to gain shelter or height)

6) She got onto a different path by mistake (but even in poor visibility, surely she'd know that the path shouldn't be going steeply upwards?)

7) Voluntary fall

Any other scenarios?

I'm leaning towards Esther telling Dan exactly what she was doing. It just took him a long time to hear what she said (Dossier p. 7).

Still in the same area.
Tomorrow heading for Port de le Glere
Might dip into France.
Hoping Refuge Venasque has a winter room.
I read that as saying that she remained in Spain overnight Nov 22. On Nov 23, she hiked in Spain to Port de la Glere. At that location, she dipped into France - exactly where her body was found.

She hoped that there is a Winter room at the Refuge de Venasque, but, if she really cared to know, it's no more than a 3 minute search of the Refuge de Venasque website to know that there is a Winter room.

She stated that she would be out of wifi range for a few days and not to worry. However, Dan quickly discovered that there is good wifi signal throughout the area (excluding Refuge de Venasque).

I've never wanted to believe this was suicide, but without a persuasive explanation for why she was where she was, where she just happened to fall, I can't shake off the teeniest niggle that it's a possibility - staged as a fall to spare the feelings of those left behind. Happy to be wrong.

Last edited:
I'm leaning towards Esther telling Dan exactly what she was doing. It just took him a long time to hear what she said (Dossier p. 7).

Still in the same area.
Tomorrow heading for Port de le Glere
Might dip into France.
Hoping Refuge Venasque has a winter room.
I read that as saying that she remained in Spain overnight Nov 22. On Nov 23, she hiked in Spain to Port de la Glere. At that location, she dipped into France - exactly where her body was found.

She hoped that there is a Winter room at the Refuge de Venasque, but, if she really cared to know, it's no more than a 3 minute search of the Refuge de Venasque website to know that there is a Winter room.

She stated that she would be out of wifi range for a few days and not to worry. However, Dan quickly discovered that there is good wifi signal throughout the area (excluding Refuge de Venasque).

Yes, I think she did this. Her message was a bit vague (probably because she knew she shouldn't go into France and didn't want hard evidence on her phone) but I bet she told Dan more precisely, hence he was so sure.

Yes, I think she did this. Her message was a bit vague (probably because she knew she shouldn't go into France and didn't want hard evidence on her phone) but I bet she told Dan more precisely, hence he was so sure.

I don't think she was worried about a private text with Dan explicitly stating that she intended to hike to France.

I think she had no intention of hiking into France, other than to "dip" off the Pic de la Glere into France.

RSBM and BBM, no I'm not sure what to make of it either. After going to the trouble of a "nine-hour mission" they don't seen to have offered much. They think she was descending at Port de la Glere? That would imply the unlikely westward ridge route again. So what refuge are they on about that she was attempting to reach?

Also the map/diagram thingy has the skull and body south east of Sauvegarde, somewhere around the Cabane de Besurta. They really don't seem to have a clue about the geography.

It's really rubbish - they go all the way there and then show almost nothing useful! I think the refuge they talk about is Venasque but the way they say it was a fateful wrong turn is also rubbish, as it is well documented that was her plan all along.

Looks to me like they heaved the Sun journalist up the Spanish side (because he wouldn't have made it up the French side?) and then did a little hike just over the border, but I'm not sure because the video shows so little. They don't even show the face of the Pic that she fell off. The guide's rather sexist comment wasn't impressive either, "A woman hiking alone with a heavy pack on her pack in November would have found it challenging with snow on the ground - no matter how experienced."

7) Voluntary fall

Any other scenarios?

I feel like she approached from the Spanish side for the simple reason she didn’t make anymore cell communications, and her own SMS messages seemed to indicate that was what she might be doing.

That said, I still don’t get how she could fall going to the X on the previous images. Looking at the contours and the steepness of the grass in the previous photo it seems any slip would have caused her to slip back down towards the lake, not over the ridge into France. The only thing that explains that (again, just by looking at Google earth) is if she physically walked over the top ridge onto the other side, which doesn’t seem likely to me. If she was further away from the port, towards the actually pic, a fall here seems like she could possibly end up on the France side. But from the X I can’t personally see it (am I wrong here, can a person slip at that point from the Spanish side and slide down onto the other side?), not without careless stepping onto the other side or getting blown over.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back