Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #72 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon he parked further away so as not to alert her.
I was just trying to figure some things out and look at it all angles, have considered headphones, her being inside (the sheets that were stripped) - maybe she didn't give a chipmonkeys whether he was home or not, she said it herself 'couldn't care less what you do, and haven't done for years.' (Something similar)
I wish it had been different for her and her girls. :(
From the patio in back of the house the river noise plus any Monarch Pass traffic noise could drown out some vehicle noise in the driveway
I take it OP has never visited Colorado!
I attended University in this gorgeous state and have sunburned my skin in December. The high/low in Salida/Maysville on May 9, 2020 was 70/33.

Weather Whys: Why is the sun more intense at elevation? | FOX21 News Colorado

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/salida/81201/may-weather/332185?year=2020
Agree!
Have golfed in December and January, had Christmas Day breakfast on the patio at 70 degrees, and been snowed on in July
Microclimates all over the state

He’s a jerk and he’s mad because she “ made him do it “.
Oh, Suzanne.

Wonder if investigators just showed him the pic and said
This is the last selfie taken on your wife’s phone.

Or did they say Your wife texted this pic of herself to the man she was involved with.

Doesn’t matter. He’s a jerk.

JMO

Theoretically, BM wouldn’t have ever seen the last picture, and not known when it was taken, unless LE told him. She would have sent it to JL, closed her app, and BM wouldn’t have been snooping during their “perfect evening.” They may have shown him the picture, and said “what’s your impression of this photo?” And he responded with “drunk eyes.”

As @MassGuy keenly noted, once LE advised BM that this was her last known photo, BM should have known if SM was drunk or not that day. My bet is he said she was, that it was typical for her “to take the edge off.”

I would have been drunk too, if I were her.
Cause… Barry Morphew.

jmo

Mod Note:
Thread is open. When discussing approved sources, the content creators (YouTubers) as individuals are off topic. Please stick to discussing the content shared as it relates to the case.

Thanks everyone and have a great Saturday!
Tiff

Had some time with my thoughts while the thread paused.

I’m so disappointed that JL didn’t come forward. But folks here are right, she was torn, by her own admission. I don’t need to like JL. He was Suzanne’s choice, and if he gave her some happiness, I’m going to have to be good with that too.

I really want to see that final picture, sitting in the sun, feeling loved, feeling hope.

I’d like to hope that that the ending of her life was quick, and that she was feeling some joy up on that mountain in her last living moments.

I’m reminded of the lyrics of one of my favorite songs, Roll Me Away by Bob Seger:

Stood alone on a mountain top
Starin' out at the Great Divide
I could go East, I could go West
It was all up to me to decide
Just then I saw a young hawk flyin'
And my soul began to rise
And pretty soon
My heart was singin'
Roll, roll me away
I'm gonna roll me away tonight
Gotta keep rollin', gotta keep ridin'
Keep searching 'til I find what's right
And as the sunset faded, I spoke
To the faintest first starlight
And I said next time
Next time
We'll get it right

From the patio in back of the house the river noise plus any Monarch Pass traffic noise could drown out some vehicle noise in the driveway

Agree!
Have golfed in December and January, had Christmas Day breakfast on the patio at 70 degrees, and been snowed on in July
Microclimates all over the state
In the non-moutainnous areas.

Just a general note.
It's important that her affair was a year and a half not two years, because they lived in Colorado for two years.
That 6 months was enough for SM to know the move was not going to fix their mattiage.

Spring 2018 they move to Colorado

Discord continues,
Suzanne says BM away from home works too much, suspects he is seeing women.

Not sure BMs main complaint about Suzanne. Think money or her wanting him home more.

Oct 2018, BM joins Volunteer Fire Department. A big time commitment away from home.

Nov 2018
Suzanne texts Libler.

Jan or Feb 2019 SM and JL secretly meet.
I'm going to add this to my time line.

Just a general note.
It's important that her affair was a year and a half not two years, because they lived in Colorado for two years.
That 6 months was enough for SM to know the move was not going to fix their mattiage.

Spring 2018 they move to Colorado

Discord continues,
Suzanne says BM away from home works too much, suspects he is seeing women.

Not sure BMs main complaint about Suzanne. Think money or her wanting him home more.

Oct 2018, BM joins Volunteer Fire Department. A big time commitment away from home.

Nov 2018
Suzanne texts Libler.

Jan or Feb 2019 SM and JL secretly meet.

Great point concerning the timing of BM joining the volunteer fire dept and Suzanne contacting JL.

BM had a large new social group, mostly younger, completely independent of Suzanne. He was having a blast.

This was not just a coincidence, but a catalyst for her seeking companionship.
She was isolated and lonely. BM didn't care. He thought he had her right where he wanted her.

He never thought she would grow a backbone. He thought she was permanently beat down.
Moo

addition for timeline

Lauren Scharf
@LaurenScharfTV

·
10 Aug

#BarryMorphew had a convo with Janelle and Colton Nebal at the store, according to Neilsen. She is questioning Agent Grusing on his timeline. On May 8, Morphew sent a message to Colton around 1:18 p.m. about getting his hot tub fixed. Asking when he could come out to the home.
Ill have to find the main time line. Is this 1:18 message in there?

You could not pay me to follow that link.

Me either, unless it starts with "Step 1: take a photo of the chipmunk."

I take this to mean Salida. He was apparently wearing a Chaffee firefighter shirt, and when the clerk asked him what he was doing for Mother’s Day, he responded with “firefighter training.”

Planning to practice his firefighter's deadweight carry technique? Ugh, sorry. But I could see him being that crude and thinking himself clever.

Another also - I vaguely remember Barry saying, perhaps to LS, about forgetting to tell LE about something (mechanical?) he did to the bobcat. I'm wondering if he was talking about the system reboot of the truck. Different vehicle but perhaps lying to LS.

IIRC he said he forgot the timing of when he did "a mechanical thing" to the Bobcat.

So maybe he initially claimed to have been at DSI getting the new blade installed at some specific time that he thought (wrongly, of course) would clear himself -- ie 2:30-3pm on 5/9 -- but then was confronted with the conflicting data of the timestamp on his receipt or the timing told to LE by DSI employees when interviewed.

MOO

Last edited:
Maybe others had thoughts on this and I missed it. I’m trying to understand why, knowing abusive people in my past, she texted her sister on the 8th that she was tired of BMs instability and verbal/ physical abuse. At some point she tells him that they are done. Yet on the 9th he asks her about going on a hike. She asks where and he doesn’t respond. In my mind leave it at that…”thank god I don’t have to spend time with him”. Yet she texts again and asks if he wants to meet up. He says no that he is coming home. I thought maybe she wanted things to appear normal but the daughters were not there….no audience to appear normal for. So why even entertain the idea?

Maybe others had thoughts on this and I missed it. I’m trying to understand why, knowing abusive people in my past, she texted her sister on the 8th that she was tired of BMs instability and verbal/ physical abuse. At some point she tells him that they are done. Yet on the 9th he asks her about going on a hike. She asks where and he doesn’t respond. In my mind leave it at that…”thank god I don’t have to spend time with him”. Yet she texts again and asks if he wants to meet up. He says no that he is coming home. I thought maybe she wanted things to appear normal but the daughters were not there….no audience to appear normal for. So why even entertain the idea?

JMO…

I see SM as a deeply loving woman. While she was no longer in love with BM, I believe she did truly care about him. I believe she wanted him to be well, wanted him to be okay with the divorce. So I see that text asking again about the hike to be an expression of her care for her daughters’ father. Yes, she’s planning to divorce. But she’ll still feed him veggie soup and go on a hike, because she cares about him.

MOO

In the non-moutainnous areas.

Not necessarily. When one is in direct sun and calm air, it can feel warm on your skin in surprisingly low temperatures. Especially if the person is acclimated to it. I worked up near Donner Summit for a while and one day in late winter, at over 6000' elevation, working outside in 40*F (but working in a stationary spot, not moving around or exerting), I warmed up and removed my sweatshirt and was comfortable in Tshirt short sleeves. A coworker from the mild-climate Bay Area then arrived and couldn't understand how I wasn't freezing.

I also think that SM's habit/desire to be tan, along with her giddy situation with her lover (ie oppty to send sexy selfies), may have prompted her to be out there even if temperatures had been marginal. But it sounds like it was more than warm enough for a spring fever sun-soaking session.

MOO

I think Suzanne may have done a lot of going along to get along.

MOO

They should get JL to testify. <modsnip - nothing linked to support speculation> He regularly heard from her. Does that make sense?
I think it was later on that evening, around midnight that the strange activity occurred on Suzanne's FB. JL may have been concerned, but I doubt it was about whether or not Suzanne had met someone else after not hearing from her for two days. I wish he had called police.

Great point concerning the timing of BM joining the volunteer fire dept and Suzanne contacting JL.

BM had a large new social group, mostly younger, completely independent of Suzanne. He was having a blast.

This was not just a coincidence, but a catalyst for her seeking companionship.
She was isolated and lonely. BM didn't care. He thought he had her right where he wanted her.

He never thought she would grow a backbone. He thought she was permanently beat down.
Moo
Agree.
Sadly, she still had enough care for him to trust him to be just be "difficult."
In truth he was already a stranger. If she wasn't going to do what he wanted, he then was motivated to remove her from the picture his way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member