Found Deceased Spain - Esther Dingley, from UK, missing in the Pyrenees, Nov 2020 #7

That's the best picture I've seen of it from the Spanish side. I was assuming it was 45 degrees all the way up from the main path but above the crags it looks more severe than the Devil's Kitchen in Wales. Google Earth unfortunately smooths out all the crags and makes everything look easier than it is - that can be quite misleading.

There does seem to be path up the grass at that point though (just very faintly visible in the picture) so I assume it must go through a gap (not visible) to the ridge. While that's obviously a pretty vigorous ascent, it accords with "il faut être un sacré montagnard pour y aller" and it's still a whole lot more feasible than the summit of Pic de la Glere, which I see is still mooted but which I absolutely cannot believe.

Methinks the media are just using the name of the mountain to identify the rough area. In any case, the authorities surely won't reveal the exact location because they'll be afraid some curious daytripper will go there to check it out and meet the same fate.

I don't believe the bears/wolves story, but then I am obviously biased on that point in favour of the vultures, and I guess they don't want to mention vultures out of delicacy.

I'm sure there'll be a plaque placed at Port de la Glere for Esther before long. I do hope though that DC is dignified enough not to write a book about it.
Federico, thanks for your map with the X marked on it. That path makes a lot of sense. Regarding this picture here, is your "X path" where I've marked B on the attached picture, rather than A? I can't see any path up A, but can see a very faint one at B (original picture also attached in order to see this faint path). Although I might be completely off the mark with both A & B here.

Attachments

• IMG_20210815_120015.jpg
    IMG_20210815_120015.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20210815_115730.jpg
    IMG_20210815_115730.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 85
I don't on a regular basis but I'd notice when cleaning the soles when it's been muddy going. Certainly wouldn't be expecting the tread to be worn, or looking for that, in a pair less than 3 months old.

Just got my old boots out (nowhere near as expensive as La Sportiva) and had a look. I've had them years and done easily 1000 miles in them, not Alpine or Pyrennean level but including numerous peaks in the UK, and they still have plenty of tread left.
I wonder was she wearing those new shoes then? Perhaps not. I also wondered about the clothing she might be wearing. If she had different clothing on to the picture she sent Dan (assuming that picture was taken on the 22nd of course), that might indicate she died on the 23rd. Of course she may have been wearing the same clothing the entire time. It's so hard to piece this together without any info.

And I'd seen this picture of the summit ridge before, but I'm not sure I'd noticed the tiny people on it:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-UkglhcClU...con+la+Arista+Cimera+de+la+Glera.+6-6-14..JPG

I present these for public perusal without attaching any particular thesis.

If ever I made it as far as that top, I'd grab a rock and pray I'd hold on and they would have to send a helicopter to get me down again....

animated-smileys-shocked-020.gif

I still find it difficult to imagine how Esther who was walking 'a trail well within her capabilities' would have left that track for this unfriendly, scary landscape. I hope the pictures she took tell more of the story.

Esther's remains were found on Route B, roughly 30 metres below the peak. She was found beneath the Pic de la Glere, hidden by the mountain boulders. 30 metres is the same as stepping off a 10 storey building. 100 feet. 10 feet per floor.

View attachment 308896

Dan made one pass of the Port de la Glere location even though Esther said that was her destination. This is the post-skull map. The earlier map has one trek near port/pic glere.

View attachment 308897

Dan walked the Port de la Glere trail once and then zigzagged 700 miles or kilometres around that trail. She said that she would be there, yet that area was relatively un-searched until after her partial skull was found.

Yes that is odd, but then again I can't imagine DC thinking she would venture up on to the ridge, it looks way beyond her (and frankly most peoples) capabilities. And if you discount that and don't find her on the trail....you go elsewhere.

I wonder was she wearing those new shoes then? Perhaps not. I also wondered about the clothing she might be wearing. If she had different clothing on to the picture she sent Dan (assuming that picture was taken on the 22nd of course), that might indicate she died on the 23rd. Of course she may have been wearing the same clothing the entire time. It's so hard to piece this together without any info.

La Sportiva was mentioned in both the dossier and multiple MSM articles about "worn" shoes. Personally I think it's unlikely that she would have kept an older worn out pair and then used them on this stretch of the hike.

But yes without more information we don't know, I only brought it up again to allay further excursions down the unprepared/inadequate equipment road.

https://42cc80b7-be3b-41e3-a85b-18b...d/4addd9_d8c55b489c6f445b96d6324dd882f5a1.pdf

23 page dossier (link reposted). I just checked to see if she was carrying climbing shoes as they have smooth soles(no)

This sentence caught my eye

Esther IS NOT in the habit of walking ‘off path’ by choice, especially when a perfectly good path is available. In more than a decade of serious hiking together, Dan reports that they hardly ever leave marked paths, and only then for short distances on flat ground to correct minor route errors. If they miss a turning, they double back. There was no need for Esther to leave a marked trail as the paths are well maintained and easy to follow, not only on her planned route but in the wider area.

I'm still perplexed how, and why, she went to the Pic....or even to the ridge...

I'm still perplexed how, and why, she went to the Pic....or even to the ridge...
I think this has been covered but I can only think of photo opportunity, or the misguided temptation to take on one last challenge or maybe she was scared/chased by an animal - though presumably they would know of bears in the area (I read they are tagged?). Which leaves another possible explanation which I would rather not think about.

Last edited:
She should have had no problem re-charging her phone.

"Esther’s phone (and head torches) are supported by the 27600 mAh battery pack capable of recharging her phone fully up to five times."
https://42cc80b7-be3b-41e3-a85b-18b...d/4addd9_d8c55b489c6f445b96d6324dd882f5a1.pdf

Very good point, thanks. She would also have to recharge her 2 torches from this powerbank too. The torch lasts about 3 hours in standard mode, it also has a proximity mode but it is pretty dim.

REVIEW: Petzl BINDI Headtorch

"The white LEDs have three power modes:
  • Proximity: 5 lumen, 6m range and 50hr burn time
  • Standard: 100 lumen, 23m, 3hrs
  • Max: 200 lumen, 36m, 2hrs"
Also: "680 mAh lithium-ion battery takes ~ 4 hours to charge from empty" and there is supposedly a drop-off in battery holding charge if below zero degrees.

I'm no physicist but assume 5 charges from the powerbank would mean that the phone battery drains 5520mAh (27600 /5) and a torch/phone charge combined = 6200 mAh (5520 + 680). So it could do nearly 4.5 charges of one phone and one torch.

Does suggest she shouldn't have been low on phone power by the Port de Glere, unless she was doing a lot of night walking! If she was late and desperate to call, she may have climbed the Pic in low light levels to get a signal?

Is there a direct path from the Pic de Sauvegarde to the Port de la Glere? Could she have gone there directly after the call to Dan, it was getting dark, an animal was out, chased her, she ran up the mountain, hence no spikes on her shoes & full backpack with her? Doesn't explain the missing tent though, unless it was with all the other stuff and blew away over the months?

Is there a direct path from the Pic de Sauvegarde to the Port de la Glere? Could she have gone there directly after the call to Dan, it was getting dark, an animal was out, chased her, she ran up the mountain, hence no spikes on her shoes & full backpack with her? Doesn't explain the missing tent though, unless it was with all the other stuff and blew away over the months?

This was discussed a while back but it is a knife-edge ridge in parts and nobody has found or mentioned any such path, so it's been mostly discounted

I think this has been covered but I can only think of photo opportunity, or the misguided temptation to take on one last challenge or maybe she was scared/chased by an animal - though presumably they would know of bears in the area (I read they are tagged?). Which leaves another possible explanation which I would rather not think about.
Maybe trying to get a signal?

If ever I made it as far as that top, I'd grab a rock and pray I'd hold on and they would have to send a helicopter to get me down again....

animated-smileys-shocked-020.gif

I still find it difficult to imagine how Esther who was walking 'a trail well within her capabilities' would have left that track for this unfriendly, scary landscape. I hope the pictures she took tell more of the story.
The rock looks so crumbly and fractured, I would be terrified.

You ain't seen nothing yet!

RUTAS Y SENDEROS PIRENAICOS Y OTROS VIAJES: Image

That's 4608 x 3456 pixels and has two tiny people for scale.

Here's another taken even closer to the point of the arrow:

RUTAS Y SENDEROS PIRENAICOS Y OTROS VIAJES: Image

Here's a whole album of very detailed pictures taken in the vicinity of the Port:

Puerto de la Glera

And I'd seen this picture of the summit ridge before, but I'm not sure I'd noticed the tiny people on it:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-UkglhcClU...con+la+Arista+Cimera+de+la+Glera.+6-6-14..JPG

I present these for public perusal without attaching any particular thesis.

I haven't been able to follow y'all's X & Y may (or may not) mark the spot on maps discussion, so don't know which if any of the photos linked in this post are where she is thought to have trekked.

FWIW. The first 2 represent a huge difference in degree of difficulty from the 3rd. I spent decades adventuring in the wilderness, including hiking & backpacking above the timberline, and very often alone (though have done very little rope climbing).

Ascending what's in photo 1 & 2 wouldn't constitute a straightforward, family-style hike, but imo, neither would it be exceptionally difficult. More like a challenge but not one risky or reckless.

The 3rd, the snow covered & summit: that's different. No way no how would it have been anything other than risky AND reckless for her to have tried to go that alone, in November, without equipment, her best crampons & a plan she had communicated ahead of time. Was it said by the search team this is where she had gone/tried to go?

Also. Just because her BF said she never did this she always did that when they were hiking together doesn't mean it's odd in the least if she approached things, including hiking, differently when she was alone.

Again, perhaps especially at the end of this 30 day solo journey when she might have been decided she wanted to keep adventuring, and was ready to go it alone.

Last thought, about her saying the cell reception wouldn't be good for those days. If for some reason her words can't be taken at face value- that ED knew better but said that anyway. The most straightforward possible reason would be she wanted to be entirely alone with her own self & thoughts for a few days, the last of her trip.

Last edited:
I haven't been able to follow y'all's X & Y may (or may not) mark the spot on maps discussion, so don't know which if any of the photos linked in this post are where she is thought to have trekked.

FWIW. The first 2 represent a huge difference in degree of difficulty from the 3rd. I spent decades adventuring in the wilderness, including hiking & backpacking above the timberline, and very often alone (though have done very little rope climbing).

Ascending what's in photo 1 & 2 wouldn't constitute a straightforward, family-style hike, but imo, neither would it be exceptionally difficult. More like a challenge but not one risky or reckless.

The 3rd, the snow covered & summit: that's different. No way no how would it have been anything other than risky AND reckless for her to have tried to go that alone, in November, without equipment, her best crampons & a plan she had communicated ahead of time. Was it said by the search team this is where she had gone/tried to go?
These are actually all views of the same peak from different angles, and in different seasons.

The first two pictures are of the Spanish side of the Pic de la Glère, first from beyond the Ibon de Gorgutes lake, looking towards the Port, then from the path on the other side of the lake, taken from a point near the centre of the first picture. They were taken in August.

This picture from the flickr album (Puerto de la Glera (42)) is the same ridge, looking west to east, so the grassy slopes visible in the first two pictures are on the right of the frame, in Spain. France is on the left. This one (Puerto de la Glera (44)) is looking back down the path visible in the first two pictures, looking into Spain. All the pictures in that album were taken in late October.

The last picture is looking westwards from the summit proper, back along the summit ridge towards the Port with the flanks of the Pic de Sacroux for a backdrop. You can make out the blue waters of the thawing Ibon de Gorgutes on the left of the picture. The picture was taken in June, before the winter snows had fully melted.

Esther's body was found somewhere on the less accessible French side of this peak. It's been suggested that she may have climbed to a point on the ridge from the Spanish side, then fallen to her death.
Also. Just because her BF said she never did this she always did that when they were hiking together doesn't mean it's odd in the least if she approached things, including hiking, differently when she was alone.
That's very true, and the same thought had occurred to me.

Last edited:
It's really rubbish - they go all the way there and then show almost nothing useful! I think the refuge they talk about is Venasque but the way they say it was a fateful wrong turn is also rubbish, as it is well documented that was her plan all along.

Looks to me like they heaved the Sun journalist up the Spanish side (because he wouldn't have made it up the French side?) and then did a little hike just over the border, but I'm not sure because the video shows so little. They don't even show the face of the Pic that she fell off. The guide's rather sexist comment wasn't impressive either, "A woman hiking alone with a heavy pack on her pack in November would have found it challenging with snow on the ground - no matter how experienced."
Not just incompetence, but IMO deliberate deception. No reason for the Sun to actually pay an employee to fly to Spain. Probably paid an expat in Spain to get a clip of him hiking, with his Spanish friend, and the whole rest of it invented by an editor in about 15 minutes before turning to the next story.

The purpose of tabloids is to make readers believe they know the real story, rather than actually knowing the real story.

For the same reason I'd be cautious of any news interptetation of where she was found, and where she fell from. I'm not convinced that info has been officially released, but dodgy media sources may well have jumped to conclusions about her being on top of the pic de la glere.

Reports are that her body was below the Pic de la Glere, not the Port de la Glere.

This the search area that Dan added to his search map after her skull was found. During those hikes, he discovered her body near the Pic de la Glere.

View attachment 308848

I suppose Esther arrived at that location via one of these routes - although I personally exclude option B.

View attachment 308849

I saw Dan's map as well - which tends to confirm she fell off the ridge in between Pic de la Glere and Port de la Glere.

The only reasonable explanation (IMO) is she climbed to the ridge crest from the Spanish side, which although steep - does not appear to be difficult. Where exactly on the ridge she fell from, we don't know unless they reveal the exact location where she was found.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back