Found Deceased Spain - Esther Dingley, from UK, missing in the Pyrenees, Nov 2020 #7

so perhaps the 3 bones were put together by ? Something/one,.. for what purpose?
Isn't there supposed to be a vulture which breaks bones by dropping them from a height? Could have been the bird's drop zone. Depends how close these bones were I guess as I reckon they would be a bit scattered if dropped.

Last edited:
so perhaps the 3 bones were put together by ? Something/one,.. for what purpose? To make them look like they rolled down from above,. To justify looking above? Why didn’t SAR search on foot immediately above? I don’t understand that?
I was suggesting the animal bones ended up there by some random means. Even a rivulet funneling down the mountain from snowmelt, collecting debris hither and yon, and collocating them in one place.
IMO the problem with a search right above the skull and animal bones.... it's too dangerous. SAR won't put their crews at risk, especially on a recovery mission. IIRC SAR also said something about having to use their rescue resources elsewhere, and the "weather" came in, making technology unuseable.
As for the possibility someone assembled them there... Maybe. Interesting. I hadn't thought of that. The skull and animal bones definitely landed in an accessible spot! And LE said they weren't there until right before they were found, since that trail had been traveled, and they were very obvious.

IMO Esther did not go 'off-piste', she followed another trail that was described as “a treacherous” trail.

My guess is that it did not look difficult at the beginning, perhaps it even looked like the main trail or a short deviation, and that she walked into a trap. Might still have ended well if it wasn't for the shoes and the slippery rocks.
Is there evidence which trail ED used to get up the Pic? Upthread, I cited a very experienced blogger who says the ascent starts in the Port and proceeds along the north side of the Pic. That would be on the side that faces France.
If you go on a trail, and it looks difficult, or you're in over your head, you normally turn around immediately. Up didn't work, you head down right away. IMO there's nothing to trap a person.

Thinking out loud….No ID yet on the animal bones, huh? I wonder if LE have a date for those? Carbon dating would be waaaaay over the top, and likely you’ve gotta be ancient, but you never know what genius ideas a bored undergraduate might come up with. Maybe they’re from a different vintage than the skull? And they definitely aren’t chicken from ED’s pack, since she leans vegan. ED could have landed on a marmot when she fell? ED’s remains could have nudged existing bones off a ledge? A fox slipped? The animal remains came from the Pic, but after ED had departed? A vulture dropped the 3(?) pieces? Another kind of animal had a cache higher up the slope, and part of the cache flowed downwards with snowmelt? The creature(s) ate something out of ED ‘s pack that killed it/them or disabled it/them instantly?
It sounds like I’m leaning towards…. no definitive speculation.
so perhaps the 3 bones were put together by ? Something/one,.. for what purpose? To make them look like they rolled down from above,. To justify looking above? Why didn’t SAR search on foot immediately above? I don’t understand that?
Thinking out loud….No ID yet on the animal bones, huh? I wonder if LE have a date for those? Carbon dating would be waaaaay over the top, and likely you’ve gotta be ancient, but you never know what genius ideas a bored undergraduate might come up with. Maybe they’re from a different vintage than the skull? And they definitely aren’t chicken from ED’s pack, since she leans vegan. ED could have landed on a marmot when she fell? ED’s remains could have nudged existing bones off a ledge? A fox slipped? The animal remains came from the Pic, but after ED had departed? A vulture dropped the 3(?) pieces? Another kind of animal had a cache higher up the slope, and part of the cache flowed downwards with snowmelt? The creature(s) ate something out of ED ‘s pack that killed it/them or disabled it/them instantly?
It sounds like I’m leaning towards…. no definitive speculation.
Very funny Ricky, falling on a Marmot,.. sorry Esther, but I’m sure you would laugh at that too, especially as you had a very cute picture of one on your SM. I think we can for certain say that that DID NOT happen….

The model ED and DC carry is all on the user to inflate. It doesn’t self inflate. The big advantage to this is that it is also easier to get the air out. A major disadvantage to this is that if you’re injured, it would be difficult to inflate: it’s not going to blow itself up for you.

I see there’s been some discussion about (presumably after inflation) using it as a kind of sit mat. There are a couple of unlikelihoods here. It would get destroyed in that terrain in a few seconds, just from being poked by a piece of scree. For sleeping, you’d situate it on a tarp. This model of mattress is only useable in summer; actually, it could induce hypothermia in cold conditions, because, uninsulated, it puts freezing air under you. If you were experienced, you’d not be wanting to sit on top of that thing in cold conditions, like the ones ED was in where it went below freezing at night.
That mattress would have blown away if it were inflated. It’s basically a balloon.

Personal example. Recently, I stayed at a friend’s house. She had very nicely made me a bed (I emphasize indoors) on an air mattress. I absolutely FROZE and didn’t have extra clothes with me. This was in a warm house! I took my pants off so they were double and put them between me and the mattress. It helped, but you don’t want to be sitting around on air mattresses in the backcountry in winter, let alone sleeping on them. If you like the cush (as I do when backpacking), you put a closed cell foam mattress on top of the air mattress. Of course, you could buy a very expensive insulated blow-up mattress, but in cold conditions it’s de rigueur to carry a closed cell foam mattress for safety reasons, even for day hikes.
Still does explain why it as out of its personal stuff sack and inflated then does it? So she must have done that for a reason,.. to cushion something?

It doesn't accord with DC's claim that she never went off-piste though. He sounded quite emphatic about that.
The only way I can see her going up that gruesome berg is if she met some hiker dude and he persuaded her to make the ascent with him. Then when she fell, he might have just scarpered - not wanting to be dragged into a lot of publicity about it or even be accused of murder...
No, I don't believe it either.
Wow, seriously, that’s a good explanation as to why she was there,.. she was egged on by someone? If that was someone she met after 22nd ,.. we will never know who it was as, because you say, when she fell, he just legged it, as you would if they was no one else around for miles… and no one to know. <modsnip - no link to support>

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, seriously, that’s a good explanation as to why she was there,.. she was egged on by someone? If that was someone she met after 22nd ,.. we will never know who it was as, because you say, when she fell, he just legged it, as you would if they was no one else around for miles… and no one to know. Or he hid her body, using her tent to wrap it in, into a crevice. Or perhaps pushed it down onto the ledge further out of sight.

Not sure if you are being serious or not, but using a bright yellow tent to conceal a body, really?

Not sure if you are being serious or not, but using a bright yellow tent to conceal a body, really?
What is the underside like? Or is it yellow all the way through? So how do you explain why it is missing then.. ?

What is the underside like? Or is it yellow all the way through? So how do you explain why it is missing then.. ?
Of course she may have had a different tent with her, it’s only DCs word that she had the yellow one? She could have bought a bevy style one especially for the trip, she was away a month, DC wouldn’t know what she may have bought.

Perhaps it's time to look at this comment at face value. I initially thought this was a figure of speech, but is it possible that they planned to meet from either side of the border for a hike in the area?

I know this was discussed earlier, with questions about why she would say that she can see him. Today, I'm more curious about this comment.

Reaches the top of Pic de Sauvegarde.
“So happy….think I can see you”
“That’s bagneres and super bagneres”
https://42cc80b7-be3b-41e3-a85b-18b...d/4addd9_d8c55b489c6f445b96d6324dd882f5a1.pdf

These guys reached the top of Pic de la Glere by going up the scree on the French side, though apparently it was a case of feeling their way.
http://robertetlespyrenees.kazeo.com/pic-de-sacroux-2676-m-et-pic-de-la-glere-2496-m-a120142244
They say ice axes were essential due to crumbling rock (early September).
I hardly imagine Esther would try it, or even know that the route existed, but if she did, a fall from the couloir above the scree would fit the bill.
The picture attached shows both sides of Glere quite well.

Attachments

• z-vIwgLw3EsFXf7c2jtFPHWzqMA.jpg
    z-vIwgLw3EsFXf7c2jtFPHWzqMA.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 58
Is there evidence which trail ED used to get up the Pic?
Not as far as I'm aware.
Upthread, I cited a very experienced blogger who says the ascent starts in the Port and proceeds along the north side of the Pic.
I've been wondering about these "easier" routes, but I can't find anything explicit. The Spanish blog mentions "a stepped ramp on the north face that leaves you practically at the top", and the French one mentions "cairns that lead to a grassy saddle". There's a picture of a cairn, and what looks like a trail leading up onto the lower north slopes of the Pic:

http://ekladata.com/o5fuN0YfuU0q9zEEEkVTGoS04ZM.jpg

That's on the scree, not that far from where the skull fragment turned up.

Here's another great picture looking down onto those north slopes:

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Qhgzf46B...daNLNX6OeYiNu5SQCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/P1010995.jpg

Last edited:
Very funny Ricky, falling on a Marmot,.. sorry Esther, but I’m sure you would laugh at that too, especially as you had a very cute picture of one on your SM. I think we can for certain say that that DID NOT happen….

Snipped for focus.

You're sure about that, TheI, lol? Can't happen? I agree now that I look at my imagined scenario that does seem quite funny, about landing on a marmot. Or maybe the pack landed on the marmot? Falling rock?

Sorry but I'm struggling to see a funny side in this story personally.
As I read it, @The_Investigator was not at all saying the story/situation was funny, but only the sentence I wrote to convey how the skull fragment and animal bones came to be collocated. There are clearly many possibilities for how this happened, some of which may sound funny in words, but would not be funny in vivo.

As I read it, @The_Investigator was not at all saying the story/situation was funny, but only the sentence I wrote to convey how the skull fragment and animal bones came to be collocated. There are clearly many possibilities for how this happened, some of which may sound funny in words, but would not be funny in vivo.

Seems a bit insensitive though to me, not sure Esther if she could, or any of the family that might be reading on here "would laugh at that too". MOO

These guys reached the top of Pic de la Glere by going up the scree on the French side, though apparently it was a case of feeling their way.
http://robertetlespyrenees.kazeo.com/pic-de-sacroux-2676-m-et-pic-de-la-glere-2496-m-a120142244
They say ice axes were essential due to crumbling rock (early September).
I hardly imagine Esther would try it, or even know that the route existed, but if she did, a fall from the couloir above the scree would fit the bill.
The picture attached shows both sides of Glere quite well.

Bingo, @Federico_A. Thank you. This is the best photo yet, as far as I am concerned, to get a sense of where ED may have climbed and died. I took a stab at drawing onto your photo my impression of where she may have ascended, rested, and fell to, while trying to be agnostic as to why all that happened and how she died.

upload_2021-8-17_16-20-16.png

Of course she may have had a different tent with her, it’s only DCs word that she had the yellow one? She could have bought a bevy style one especially for the trip, she was away a month, DC wouldn’t know what she may have bought.
Think she would have mentioned that in passing. If it wasn’t with her at all, it would be in the motor home. It was with her- only the state of her backpack would dictate whether it had blown away or had been used.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back