Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, Jun 1997 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have spent the past few days reading every thread so far I have only listened to the first three podcasts.
I really really can't see a woman who rang her daughter after hearing of a landslide to make sure she was OK and one who never missed birthdays disappearing of her own free will it doesn't add up.
The passport is where I'm stuck and the name change. Was she so fearful because of what was going on at the school that she decided to change her name? I can see someone who was dramatic doing that ,I'm 50/50 re the name Remakel was it a name she took because it had stuck in her mind after hearing it or seeing it or had she met a real life Mr Remakel?
Really really hope for Sally's sake the inquest finally uncovers what happened to Marion. It is so awful how the whole missing report had been handled by the police I don't know how she still functions its so bad.
Off to listen to podcast number 4

Something else that is bugging me, the missing elderly lady who was left at the hospital recently , to me she looks like Marion can the police request a DNA test if following up a missing persons investigation? Has Sally mentioned this lady ? Could she be the imposter who went to the bank and took the purse?
Really don't understand why she refuses to say who she is , she really resembles Marion.

That's my thought on her leaving the school, and maybe changing her name. I think something frightened her.
But I can't see her never contacting her family again.

Welcome to the thread!

The passport is where I'm stuck and the name change. Was she so fearful because of what was going on at the school that she decided to change her name?

Sending a shipping container to the UK would have been very costly and far more available in the UK.
If your suggesting that Marion made the phone call from Aus and gave her passport to someone else to travel with, where does that take us ? sorry just trying get on your path of thinking ...
it wasn't an empty container it had all of her house contents in :)

Sorry, message incomplete. far more antiques available in the UK. Better to buy stuff in the UK than take things over there from Aus.. In MOO. Don't think UK was it's destination.

Something else that is bugging me, the missing elderly lady who was left at the hospital recently , to me she looks like Marion can the police request a DNA test if following up a missing persons investigation? Has Sally mentioned this lady ? Could she be the imposter who went to the bank and took the purse?
Really don't understand why she refuses to say who she is , she really resembles Marion.
She did identify herself in the end, though not to police, apparently. From memory she had a connection with a nursing home. It was an actual identity, not just a name she came up with.

These were Marion's treasured possessions.
Leaving them behind and buying different ones just doesn't compare to things you've collected,love and treasured over a lifetime.

Sorry, message incomplete. far more antiques available in the UK. Better to buy stuff in the UK than take things over there from Aus.. In MOO. Don't think UK was it's destination.

Sending a shipping container to the UK would have been very costly and far more available in the UK.

The empty container was one persons theory, claiming they found the container but this is strongly denied by both LV producers and Marion's family. It has been openly said on the podcast that the in-laws of Marion's daughter kept some of Marion's possessions in storage so possibly the person put two and two together, I have no idea why they would have said this at all and as mentioned before there is no physical evidence. If it is ever located the shipping container would likely be quite large and have Marion's name at least somewhere on the container and a serial number which could possibly be traced back to the manufacturers and even the year purchased.

Last edited:
I was thinking about the relationship between police officers and Freemasons. The fact that detectives have shared membership of the same Freemason lodges as active high-profile criminals has became knowledge to the general public over the years. Maybe a member of the lodge working at TSS called on one of The “boys’ clubs” that pervaded the police service to help with Marion's disappearance.

Last edited:
I was thinking about the relationship between police officers and Freemasons. The fact that detectives have shared membership of the same Freemason lodges as active high-profile criminals has became knowledge to the general public over the years. Maybe a member of the lodge working at TSS called on one of The “boys’ clubs” that pervaded the police service to help with Marion's disappearance.
Is there any members listing from the 1990's available.
I have just found out that TSS is the centre stage for the Freemasons association The Knights of St John.

Southport has a main centre for the freemasons.
Southport Masonic Centre - Twin Towns Masonic Centre

Last edited:
In the chapel on the school grounds in front of everyone there flys a flag that no one questions and it is the flag of The Nights of St John. Freemason Bruce Maun
Can you look up Freemason members?
Unfortunately, there is no central repository for Masonic membership information, and no "one" place to check online. Local Lodges functioned independently; thus, writing to the local Lodge (or the Grand Lodge of that jurisdiction) may be the best way to find personal information on a particular individual.

Attachments

• upload_2021-8-19_10-53-9.gif
    upload_2021-8-19_10-53-9.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 4
Freemasons is an intriguing and secretive organisation but IMO pretty harmless. My grandfather was one and from what I can tell it was mainly about privileged old white men feeling exclusive rather than anything nefarious.

Marion was 100% in the UK. Her first letter to Sally on arriving was spot on about the weather the week she arrived. Just reading each postcard she was clearly in and around the South East of England. For how long she was here, where was she staying, was she accompanied, what name was she travelling under are just some of the puzzles that have been so difficult to answer due to the time delay in investigating the case in the UK.

If I were to book a holiday in France the first question most people including family would ask me is where exactly?

With Marion we are led to believe not a single person asked her. It almost beggars belief. What if there was an emergency at home (her Dad’s illness for starters) and they knew she was away for a year? No contact address or phone number? Really?

Whether she would have told them Tunbridge Wells is another question although she was happy to inform everyone she was going to travel on the Orient Express.

I know some families aren’t close but what about her friends, work colleagues and social network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knownstranger07