CA - Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung, daughter, 1 & dog, suspicious death remote hiking area, Aug 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if this was an indirect lightening strike, not all strikes cause burns. Ot they used a backpacking water filter that didn't remove toxins of Cyanobacteria. Toxic poisoning can happen fairly quickly 30-60 minutes. Anatoxin-a can cause fairly quick disability.

Last edited:
I understand that heatstroke & lightning do not necessarily leave visible marks - but what are the chances of 4 creatures all suffering that same fatal event and all 4 creatures not having any obvious clues on their bodies? Vomit/diarrhea, burns, etc.

They also had a new Ford Raptor truck, plus owned a bnb in Mariposa, in addition to the two other properties.
His close friend said he had done well for himself and was a very generous person. My thoughts- he recently left his engineering position at Google for a job at snapchat. Perhaps he sold his stock for a tidy profit, averaging 2,700/share over the last year. Investing in real estate is smart.

I understand that heatstroke & lightning do not necessarily leave visible marks - but what are the chances of 4 creatures all suffering that same fatal event and all 4 creatures not having any obvious clues on their bodies? Vomit/diarrhea, burns, etc.
Not to mention the internal damage from a lightning strike, in addition the weather was clear and hot that day, no thunderstorms. Heatstroke is more difficult to discern in autopsy from what I've read. Since the ME did not find anything definable, tox screens will have to tell the story, IMO. We'll be here debating for six weeks or better unless investigators find other clues.

Here's an article about a hiker who was very recently struck and killed by lightning while hiking in the Sierra National Forest.

The description of the events is pretty detailed.

https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/article253237278.html

"The lightning blew items out of Torchia’s pockets, ripped off some of his clothes, and tore bark off the tree that was struck. Jeff said its force moved his own body forward a couple inches."

The article also mentions that only about 10% of people struck by lightning die from it and that only 14 people have died from lightning strikes in California since 1950.

Not to say it's not possible, but wouldn't there be evidence?

Here's an article about a hiker who was very recently struck and killed by lightning while hiking in the Sierra National Forest.

The description of the events is pretty detailed.

https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/article253237278.html

"The lightning blew items out of Torchia’s pockets, ripped off some of his clothes, and tore bark off the tree that was struck. Jeff said its force moved his own body forward a couple inches."

The article also mentions that only about 10% of people struck by lightning die from it and that only 14 people have died from lightning strikes in California since 1950.

Not to say it's not possible, but wouldn't there be evidence?

Yes, you would think so! And aren't there usually more than one random lightning strike in same time frame, with mention of it on the local weather reports, either before or after? Of course, we don't know how close together the bodies were, but I get the impression from articles that they were at least in close proximity to each other. Toxicology reports hopefully will show something!

The mean-spirited side of me says murder/suicide, that's why they're all together. The natural-causes side votes for the belch of some gas from the ground near where they were found. Air is only 20% oxygen. Insufficient oxygen would knock everyone out in a few breaths. Methane, nitrogen, carbon dioxide will all 'kill' you, but they kill because they aren't what we need. Inert gas asphyxiation - Wikipedia

Last edited:
If it were to be some type of accidental poisoning from gas or carbon monoxide or whatnot, wouldn't there be other dead animals having succumbed to it as well?
Yes, if it was a gas bubble of pretty much anything that replaced oxygen there should be a zone of other dead animals one would think, if there where other animals in the area due to humans and dog.
This one is a head scratcher for me. Other than outright dark thoughts (not victim blaming) something that would kill humans large and small plus a dog...I just don’t know. The LD50 for naturally occurring toxins, seems hard to believe they all succumbed in the same area. A potential gas seems unlikely given they were out in the open. Not eliminated but unlikely. The concentration would have to have been really high in the area they were in at the exact moment that they all suffocated at the same time. Lack of oxygen rich environment is essentially suffocating. Heat exhaustion is a tough one for me in this situation as well with the dog succumbing.

I don’t know what to think. IMOO. (I know what I’m thinking but will sit on my hands.)

My sister, her ex and their dogs used to hike this area and specifically this trail often in the spring and fall. One time my brother in law took the dog in the middle of the hot summer up there for a hike while my sister was at work. He called her mid afternoon while driving back. She says he could barely get out a word. He and the dog barely made it back to the car due to heat exhaustion. It took both of them a few days to recover. This is a guy who builds tennis courts and other sports courts for a living. He is used to being outside in the heat. My sister doesn’t believe it is gases or algae bloom.

Thank you for sharing - wow. I believe it.
Altitude shifts and microclimates combined with extreme heat and dehydration are a lot more brutal than many people realize, even if they're experienced hikers (they were new to the area).

I also wonder if the smoke from on going fires drafting from multiple neighboring states/provinces/regions c. etc. could have also played a role in further incapacitating their respiratory system and bodies in general.

Last edited:
If it were to be some type of accidental poisoning from gas or carbon monoxide or whatnot, wouldn't there be other dead animals having succumbed to it as well?

I wonder how many animals frequent that particular area.
The mean-spirited side of me says murder/suicide, that's why they're all together. The natural-causes side votes for the belch of some gas from the ground near where they were found. Air is only 20% oxygen. Insufficient oxygen would knock everyone out in a few breaths. Methane, nitrogen, carbon dioxide will all 'kill' you, but they kill because they aren't what we need. Inert gas asphyxiation - Wikipedia

Makes sense, but one article said the hazmat people checked for certain gases in the air there and looked around for possible unregistered mine shafts, etc. in the vicinity; as the nearest one they knew about was several miles away. Sounded like they basically eliminated that as a cause, but who knows?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Philip Kreycik had equally rigorous training and experience and died of heatstroke. He didn't understand the microclimates of the unfamiliar CA park he had chosen for his casual run. The parking lot was 85 degrees when he began, 20 minutes later he was on a peak where temp was well over a hundred. However, he was running.

How long did it take before they determined it was heatstroke?

Thank you for sharing - wow. I believe it. Im glad he and their dog made it back safe!
My sibling doesn't live at this area, per se, but she does live in high desert and the altitude shifts and microclimates combined with extreme heat and dehydration are a lot more brutal than many people realize, even experienced hikers (they were new to the area).
I also wonder if the smoke from on going fires drafting from Oregon, Cali, Idaho, Washington, BC, Utah, Alberta, etc. etc. could have played a role in further incapacitating them....

just thinking out loud. I hope it's not what many of us fear the most...

But with heat exhaustion, would they all have collapsed with it at exactly the same time? They were all found together on the trail, not one of them had tried to find tree cover or shelter from the heat, or tried to make it back to the car?

I find it difficult to believe man, woman, dog and baby all died at the exactly the same time from heat exhaustion right where they were.

You think if that even happened the bodies would be more scattered, as in the case of the Death Valley Germans.

Before heat exhaustion sets in, hikers will usually notice that something feels “off” with their body. The signs that occur before heat exhaustion are often a slight shaky feeling, mild headache, and the urge to sit down. This is the body trying to say that it needs a break from the activity. When these signs are ignored, or if the hiker is unable to find a place to cool off and rehydrate, heat exhaustion will begin to set in.A few signs of heat exhaustion include:

• Excessive Sweating
  • Extreme Thirst
  • Nausea
  • Dizziness
  • Abnormal Heart Beat
  • Muscle Cramps
  • Cold Chills

Heat Stroke

If the above symptoms haven’t ceased after 30 minutes, the victim will begin suffering from heat stroke. Once a person is suffering from heat stroke, emergency personnel should be alerted. Calling a rescue team or 911 as soon as heat stroke sets in is very important. Heat stroke can cause irreversible damage to the brain, nervous system, and the rest of the body if it is not treated quickly. Left untreated, heat stroke can lead to death. Therefore, as soon as symptoms of heat stroke appear, professionals should be alerted so the victim can receive proper treatment.

A few signs of heat stroke include:

• Unconsciousness
  • Red, Hot Skin
  • Lack of Sweat
  • Shallow Breathing
  • Delirium
Recognizing and preventing heat stroke when hiking - Bryce Canyon

I think it is possible that the wife and child began with heat exhaustion, and needed to lay down and test. Maybe they found some shade. But if they didn't have enough water for all of them, dehydration would still set in.

I think the symptoms just took over because there was no cell service and no other hikers around. :(

Last edited:
EBM: correction they were found on Tuesday but had gone out hiking on Sunday. Meaning no one had used the trail besides them in over 2 days? That makes me wonder about the justification about going on such a hike, in the heat, with a baby, and a dog.

Did algae bloom kill family hiking in Mariposa County? Authorities checking all possibilities in mysterious deaths

“This is no recreation area,” said a neighbor, who lives next door to the family’s Darrah property that they also rent out on Airbnb. “It’s a serious hiking area. ... It’s nothing but rattlesnakes and old mines."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288