Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #74 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Seattle1 You can clearly see Lauren interviewing GD at his front porch on this YT video:

Thank you @Janeumayer -- I just heard LS Jan 2021 guest appearance on PE where she stated that she did talk to GD briefly and that he would only say that MG was a nice woman and wouldn't make any further comment. On the other hand, LS said he was very eager to dish on JP even though she didn't ask him anything about JP!

Interesting that George D and Trevor N were the ones to approach MG. Me thinks GD knows a whole lot more than we've been privy to.

I guess the state could call GD as a hostile witness, unless he has come to the eureka idea that BM is responsible? :rolleyes:

MOO

Unless he helped Barry “clean after himself”?

since prosecution has already said the river house search turned up nothing I can’t imagine they will bring it up again as it has no value to their case and bringing it up opens it up to defense.
To my knowledge, the only subject formally cleared as no evidence or having no evidentiary value was that Bobcat equipment. I don't recall a similar confirmation from the executed search warrant of the river build site.

To my knowledge, the only subject formally cleared as no evidence or having no evidentiary value was that Bobcat equipment. I don't recall a similar confirmation from the executed search warrant of the river build site.
Defense points out that “no human remains “ were found .

https://twitter.com/ashleykktv/status/1424758978832048132?s=21

Nielsen says several excavations were completed while searching including a slab of concrete that was removed from a garage that #BarryMorphew worked on. She notes no human remains were found at any of their sights. The commander confirms. #SuzanneMorphew @KKTV11News

(I am still way behind!)
SWEET GEEBUS! Dang, had me going there for a minute!!!
I have nosi's pdfs in tabs and saved but just scanned them as I've had a really busy couple of days.
DAYUM! How I'd have loved that to be true.
:p

I'm sorry! By the time I realized that that line from the notes was in there, it was too late to edit! Please forgive!
<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Technically speaking a “burner phone” is one that DOES NOT use a monthly plan.

The month to month plans have to know how many minutes or how much data was used for billing/accounting purposes.
The phones that I buy can either use minutes purchased with phone cards or can signed up to use a credit card. Because I do nothing nefarious with my phones, I sign up and use my credit card. The minutes do not accumulate each month. They are wiped away.

So, in essence, if I were a criminal, I could have purchased my phone with cash and purchase the minutes to use on my phone with cash, too. My phone is very inexpensive. Most would consider it a "throw-away" phone.

JMO.

Last edited:
This DA said that?
I agree.

Oh my. I posted the quote and I fear it’s garnering more attention than I expected. The quote was in a section of the Q&A about cold cases. I won’t repost, but basically she said they are not always wrapped in a neat bow, and sometimes the only justice a victim receives is going to trial. IMO, there is always a risk - not every case ends with a conviction. I know we’ve discussed no-body cases many times before and we’ve actually seen great success - Patrick Frazee, Donthe Lucas as examples, but they are tough cases to take on. I interpreted the DA’s point as she has the guts to take difficult cases to trial. I have faith in her, and with a 129 page AA, I do feel she and the prosecution team will give their all to Suzanne’s case.

It reminded me of something a teenager would do. ETA I think this and the suicide threats point to a very emotionally immature person.

When 2 people marry when young, neither of them has fully matured, and become the person they are destined to be. The marriage can thrive and last a lifetime if they both continue to mature and grow alike. But if one party barely matures at all, or grows in a different direction, then the marriage will not be happy, or last forever. I think this is what happened in this marriage.

There was a discussion here, just that it is unlikely cancer survivor could get a reasonable policy.
My husbands parents bought whole life insurance policies for him when he was young, more as an investment tool…..that made me think maybe SM’s parents did the same for her.

Last edited:
Defense points out that “no human remains “ were found .

https://twitter.com/ashleykktv/status/1424758978832048132?s=21

Nielsen says several excavations were completed while searching including a slab of concrete that was removed from a garage that #BarryMorphew worked on. She notes no human remains were found at any of their sights. The commander confirms. #SuzanneMorphew @KKTV11News

The preserved biological evidence is facinating me. I am hopeful that it brings this trial to 'beyond reasonable doubt', because I have not seen anything yet that gives me confidence in a first degree charge.

@Cindizzi, I was quoting someone else. Then found out the DA was replying to a cold case question and realized the OP had not included the entire quote. Here’s the OP:

CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #74 *ARREST*

“^RSBM

I keep reminding myself of DA Linda Stanley’s comments on taking cases to trial (from a Q&A as she was seeking re-election.)

If there is probable cause established to make an arrest, then an arrest should be made. The District Attorney’s office should never require a case to be wrapped up in a big, red bow in order to go forward with charges. Sometimes, the only justice that a victim gets is going to trial.

Q&A with District Attorney candidates Linda Stanley, Kaitlin Turner – Canon City Daily Record

Respectfully, I did link the entire article in my original post, but clipped only a portion I found notable, because I believe the DA has guts. I posted a followup to address the context concern. We can’t post entire articles here, but this is the entire question and both LS and her opponent’s answer:

Q. Fremont County has a number of cold cases that haven’t been prosecuted. Working with law enforcement, what steps do you think can be taken to further these cases?

KT: While I’ve been in office, cold cases have continued to be investigated. I’ve had many meetings with sheriffs and police chiefs about our unsolved cases. I know law enforcement is still actively investigating those cases, and we confer regularly when there are updates. Investigators in my office also continue to investigate leads. The continued investigation of Kenneth Orchard’s death, and the homicide charges we recently filed, is an example of that work. The Fremont County Sheriff’s Office diligently continued to pursue that case even once most would have called it a “cold case.”

The FBI and CBI are also actively involved in continuing to work cold cases throughout our district. The public does not always hear about our ongoing cold case investigations, because we want to preserve the integrity of those investigations so we can be successful when we prosecute. Nonetheless, I can assure you those cases are not being ignored. Of course, all of our law enforcement agencies would benefit from additional funding for detectives. Citizens can support your law enforcement by encouraging your city councils and county commissioners to provide our law enforcement agencies with adequate funding for investigations.

Ultimately, once we reasonably believe we can prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt, charges will be filed.

LS: The first thing I’m going to do is read the case files. I have been notified by dozens of individuals over the last few months that have pleaded with me to look at their cases.

Without making any further promises, I told each individual that I absolutely would look at the cases. The difference with me is that I am looking at the case as both a police officer and a prosecutor. I look at it as an investigator and as an attorney. If I think there are more leads to follow up on, I will ask the appropriate law enforcement agency if those leads were addressed, if so what was the outcome and if not, why not. If needed, I can assign the case to an investigator in the District Attorney’s office for a different perspective on the case and possible leads.

As I have stated previously in other publications, sometimes there may not be any other leads to follow up on. If that is the case, there needs to be a decision between the District Attorney’s office, law enforcement, and the victim(s) about going forward with possible charges. If there is probable cause established to make an arrest, then an arrest should be made. The District Attorney’s office should never require a case to be wrapped up in a big, red bow in order to go forward with charges. Sometimes, the only justice that a victim gets is going to trial.

A District Attorney needs to be able and willing to do so. I’ve personally handled hundreds of jury trials; my opponent has not conducted even one. That speaks volumes.

You forgot Bobcat maintenance;)

Million dollar plus home, daughter in college, new truck, new ATV (which he bought to find SM.. He had an extravagant life style. MM pointed out that neither of them could live within their means. I am sure the prosecution are going to misrepresent that statement to use against SM.

Last edited:
Respectfully, I did link the entire article in my original post, but clipped only a portion I found notable, because I believe the DA has guts. I posted a followup to address the context concern. We can’t post entire articles here, but this is the entire question and both LS and her opponent’s answer:

Q. Fremont County has a number of cold cases that haven’t been prosecuted. Working with law enforcement, what steps do you think can be taken to further these cases?

KT: While I’ve been in office, cold cases have continued to be investigated. I’ve had many meetings with sheriffs and police chiefs about our unsolved cases. I know law enforcement is still actively investigating those cases, and we confer regularly when there are updates. Investigators in my office also continue to investigate leads. The continued investigation of Kenneth Orchard’s death, and the homicide charges we recently filed, is an example of that work. The Fremont County Sheriff’s Office diligently continued to pursue that case even once most would have called it a “cold case.”

The FBI and CBI are also actively involved in continuing to work cold cases throughout our district. The public does not always hear about our ongoing cold case investigations, because we want to preserve the integrity of those investigations so we can be successful when we prosecute. Nonetheless, I can assure you those cases are not being ignored. Of course, all of our law enforcement agencies would benefit from additional funding for detectives. Citizens can support your law enforcement by encouraging your city councils and county commissioners to provide our law enforcement agencies with adequate funding for investigations.

Ultimately, once we reasonably believe we can prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt, charges will be filed.

LS: The first thing I’m going to do is read the case files. I have been notified by dozens of individuals over the last few months that have pleaded with me to look at their cases.

Without making any further promises, I told each individual that I absolutely would look at the cases. The difference with me is that I am looking at the case as both a police officer and a prosecutor. I look at it as an investigator and as an attorney. If I think there are more leads to follow up on, I will ask the appropriate law enforcement agency if those leads were addressed, if so what was the outcome and if not, why not. If needed, I can assign the case to an investigator in the District Attorney’s office for a different perspective on the case and possible leads.

As I have stated previously in other publications, sometimes there may not be any other leads to follow up on. If that is the case, there needs to be a decision between the District Attorney’s office, law enforcement, and the victim(s) about going forward with possible charges. If there is probable cause established to make an arrest, then an arrest should be made. The District Attorney’s office should never require a case to be wrapped up in a big, red bow in order to go forward with charges. Sometimes, the only justice that a victim gets is going to trial.

A District Attorney needs to be able and willing to do so. I’ve personally handled hundreds of jury trials; my opponent has not conducted even one. That speaks volumes.
I don’t understand why this is becoming an issue? Anyone reading over the thread and reading your original post could have come to the conclusion that DA Stanley could have been talking about all cases in general and not just talking about cold cases?
I understand you included a link to the original article but not everyone has the time to read all links included on all posts.
I apologize if this offended you but I do not see where I did anything wrong? I later corrected what I wrote in a later post stating the DA was in fact talking about cold cases.

Last edited:
RSBM..

Jane, I echo your accolades to @NoSI @OldCop and @oviedo . We are all grateful! Jane worded it beautifully. And thanks to those who helped edit!

Barry Froze. He realized he couldn't go there verbally, this makes sense. Great thinking.

As to GD....my thoughts from the get go were GD and TN were used.

“My buddy was there right after that, and he said that they completely destroyed the evidence, and he tried to stop them, but they wouldn’t listen to him and said, ‘this is not CSI,’” Morphew told Fox 21 News. Note Barry doesn't put himself there with George, when he clearly was. Sounds like more Barry BS to me. I can't find this quoted by George but I could be wrong. I think GD and TN were sincerely on board with Barry initially to help and realized they were being used pretty early on.
GD has too much going for him, as does TN... a life, a career, and a family...don't see them throwing that away for Barry. Is there anything out there to suggest they are close and remained close. I remember Barry telling Lauren GD wouldn't meet her but he definitely did. Other neighbors helped out putting up searchers besides GD.

Mystery rider...no idea where or if they fit in. I am not surprised about the car doors, seems he had lot to load, makes sense to me.

There is one person I can not let go of yet. I believe she is totally innocent and was lured into the wrong place at the wrong time. MG. She stated that she is scared of BM. I do not think that BM sat outside MG house at 4am and called her. I think that he dropped her off at 4am after luring her into an emergency job. I can see him threating MG with a gun unless she helped him, and threatening her if she talked. That envelope I am sure contained a lot of hush money. She is not just scared, she is terrified to the point she moved out of state.

Last edited:
I don’t understand why this is becoming an issue? Anyone reading over the thread and reading your original post could have come to the conclusion that DA Stanley could have been talking about all cases in general and not just talking about cold cases?
I understand you included a link to the original article but not everyone has the time to read all links included on all posts.
I apologize if this offended you but I do not see where I did anything wrong? I later corrected what I wrote in a later post stating the DA was in fact talking about cold cases.

I interpreted your post as a concern about a quote provided out of context. Hopefully any issue is now resolved. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82