VA VA - Michael, 50, Mary, 36, & Jennifer Short, 9, Bassett, 15 Aug 2002

Cells phones were out in 2002.
He being a business man . Probably did have one. I know I did.
Just because the phone line was cut. Doesn't mean that it was cut that night. The phone company would know.
I would think if the line wasn't cut that night they would have reported it to the phone company and I think investigators would have checked that out. I know when my phone goes out I call in a report right away.

Cells phones were out in 2002.
He being a business man . Probably did have one. I know I did.
Just because the phone line was cut. Doesn't mean that it was cut that night. The phone company would know.
I would think if the line wasn't cut that night they would have reported it to the phone company and I think investigators would have checked that out. I know when my phone goes out I call in a report right away.

I think this case will eventually be solved using genetic genealogy tracing.
In an interview with one of the investigators he was asked about genetic genealogy tracing. He said they were weighing the possibility, but wanted to be careful with the sample. This implies they do have DNA. Imagine being the murderer and seeing all the old cases now being solved through genetic genealogy tracing....it's just a matter of time. I just read about a case that was solved after 45 years!!

This case has haunted me since it happened. I was in the area where her remains were found a few weeks prior... went down to the campground to spend a day on the river. Not knowing at the time the "prime suspect" lived on that road and the eerie feeling I got she was there, hair raising experience. Then the news came a few weeks later she was found by the dog playing with her skull.

I called home freaking out and didn't go back there... haven't been back. I pray that someone w/any info comes forward, but honestly feel it's too late.
Yep there is a campground. Right there where she was found. And a tube shack at the river
In an interview with one of the investigators he was asked about genetic genealogy tracing. He said they were weighing the possibility, but wanted to be careful with the sample. This implies they do have DNA. Imagine being the murderer and seeing all the old cases now being solved through genetic genealogy tracing....it's just a matter of time. I just read about a case that was solved after 45 years!!
Yeah that's how Joseph DeAngelo was caught. And he turned out to be a cop.
And he would come back the next days to investigate his own crimes

In an interview with one of the investigators he was asked about genetic genealogy tracing. He said they were weighing the possibility, but wanted to be careful with the sample. This implies they do have DNA. Imagine being the murderer and seeing all the old cases now many solved through genetic genealogy tracing....it's just a matter of time. I just read about a case that was solved after 45 years!!
<modsnip: Rumors and hearsay are not allowed>

I'm telling ya. When. This whole thing happened. The first 2 or 3 days.
It was being reported that Mary had been in a relationship with a teacher at Jennifer's school. Then it just disappeared. And was never mentioned again. Don't forget .
The house was up for sale.
And the family was getting ready to move to South Carolina.
An enragged jealous lover. Could be the answer here. It certainly fits the crime

Yep there is a campground. Right there where she was found. And a tube shack at the river

Yeah that's how Joseph DeAngelo was caught. And he turned out to be a cop.
And he would come back the next days to investigate his own crimes
Yes, and he quit killing when DNA technology started advancing. But that didn't save him because they had all the DNA he had already left behind. BTK also left lots of DNA.

Yes, and he quit killing when DNA technology started advancing. But that didn't save him because they had all the DNA he had already left behind. BTK also left lots of DNA.
You are 100% correct Sunny day.
Many people ask why he stopped when he did . ?
And it's like duh. He quit. The exact same time that DNA started.
He knew .

<modsnip: Rumors and hearsay are not allowed>
The house was up for sale.
And the family was getting ready to move to South Carolina.
An enragged jealous lover. Could be the answer here. It certainly fits the crime

BBM...Maybe, but would an enraged jealous lover have taken Jennifer? If she was awake and saw him in the house, he would have simply killed her in the home if he had no interest in her. I believe it is a good chance that she was actually the target.

Last edited by a moderator:
BBM...Maybe, but would an enraged jealous lover have taken Jennifer? If she was awake and saw him in the house, he would have simply killed her in the home if he had no interest in her. I believe it is a good chance that she was actually the target.
Maybe not if he was a teacher at her school. I'm sure it was complete chaos

This was a revenge killing .
I don't believe Jennifer was the target.

You may be correct about revenge, but again, why take Jennifer?
It's extremely hard to get inside the mind of the killer. When Law enforcement and the fbi will not release any information at all . After 19 years. Which is ridiculous.
It could be that the killer was in love with Jessica and her mom and wanted them for his own.
But the killings didn't go as planned.
Maybe it was supposed to just be a conversation.
Pedophiles don't break into houses and shoot both parents in the head. Then steal the kid. It just doesn't happen that way. This would be the first.
It had to be someone that they knew.
And had contact with . In the last 48 hours.
I'm just saying. And I live here
On the first three days after the slayings. The local news was reporting that Mary had an Extra marital relationship with a teacher at Jessica's school. They didn't give a name.
Then after Bowman left for the attic circle . He was named the primary suspect. Then two months later when he was cleared. That was it.
The relationship was never mentioned again after the first three days
I would say that the killer had plans for Mary and Jessica to be his own.
And when that didn't work out. He got mad.
Then when they were trying to sell their house and move to South Carolina. The killer became enragged.
And went to the house and killed Michael.
That's my theory

Pedophiles don't break into houses and shoot both parents in the head. Then steal the kid. It just doesn't happen that way. This would be the first.

Ever hear of Shasta Groene (the murderer killed the family members with a hammer, not by shooting, but that difference is insignificant....a murder is a murder.)?

If Bowman did it. He would have been charged with triple murder. But he wasn't . In fact a grand jury found that there was no evidence to charge Bowman with anything. To me that means he didn't do it.
And the same goes for Lemons .
If Lemons did the killings he would have been charged with a triple murder . Bit he wasn't.
So the big question is? who dumped Jessica on Grogan road. And when was she left there. ?
The killer must have took her to the bridge after Bowman was named the primary suspect. Which was only 3 days later. In an attempt to make it look like Bowman did it.

Ever hear of Shasta Groene (the murderer killed the family members with a hammer, not by shooting, but that difference is insignificant....a murder is a murder.)?
No I've never investigated that one.

It's extremely hard to get inside the mind of the killer. When Law enforcement and the fbi will not release any information at all . After 19 years. Which is ridiculous.
It could be that the killer was in love with Jessica and her mom and wanted them for his own.
On the first three days after the slayings. The local news was reporting that Mary had an Extra marital relationship with a teacher at Jessica's school. They didn't give a name.
Then after Bowman left for the attic circle . He was named the primary suspect. Then two months later when he was cleared. That was it.
Then when they were trying to sell their house and move to South Carolina. The killer became enragged.
That's my theory

You mean Jennifer not Jessica and very strange , why would Mary be in martial relationship with the teacher if she still happy with Mike ?

Yes Jennifer . Sorry.

That's what the local news was reporting until three days after the slayings. When. Bowman was named the prime suspect. And then there were really no other leads after that.
She had a couple of old flames
One apparently worked at Jennifer's school .
That's why Michael was exhumed.
To perform the DNA test.
Because there was alot of talk that he wasn't her real dad.

Yes Jennifer . Sorry.

That's what the local news was reporting until three days after the slayings. When. Bowman was named the prime suspect. And then there were really no other leads after that.
She had a couple of old flames
One apparently worked at Jennifer's school .
That's why Michael was exhumed.
To perform the DNA test.
Because there was alot of talk that he wasn't her real dad.
As I recall, the idea of Michael not being the real dad was floated in the beginning because they wanted the perp to think the perp might be the father and not kill her if he believed that.

I have thought from the very beginning, and still do, that Jennifer was the sole target. The parents were in the way and so they were executed. Not a robbery or a disgruntled employee. There was $600 in cash on the kitchen counter. A robber or revenge killer would have grabbed that.

If you believe the paper boy story. Then Maybe the locals are right.
Michael just doesn't seem like someone to get caught up in drug cartels
As I recall, the idea of Michael not being the real dad was floated in the beginning because they wanted the perp to think the perp might be the father and not kill her if he believed that.
Hi Sunny Day .
I can't remember the exact timing of when Michael was exhumed from the grave . I believe Jennifer was found on Sept . 25 th. I thought it was after Jennifer was found that Michael was exhumed. It had to be . Because no one knew if Jennifer was alive or not.
I just remember for a long time there was talk about another man being in the picture. And lots of questions as to weather or not Michael was her real dad.
It turned that he was her real dad. And that's great.
We never found out who the other man was. But supposedly it was someone who worked at Jennifer's school . LE and the Fbi will not share any info.
If the killer is still out there.
They should tell us. What they know.
I think we have a right to know.
It's been 19 years.
We still live near bye.

That's my theory

BBM...Also Ashley Freeman and Laurie Bible.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708
Back