WA WA - GARY RIDGWAY - Green River Serial Killer

When Mary Ellen O’Toole was finally face-to-face with the so-called Green River Killer, she was shocked by what she saw.

“He’s kind of a quiet guy,” the former FBI profiler told Fox News about murderer Gary Ridgway, who is convicted of 49 murders but suspected of many more. “I want to say, this word is not the best word, but he comes across as being respectful. He could smile, he smiled," she said.

“He had a sense of humor, not a great one, but he did. He responded to questions. You could have a conversation with him. There was nothing remarkable at all about him to suggest that he could be a violent offender at the level that he was. Nothing.”

O’Toole, who first met the killer in 2003, spoke to Ridgway during the course of six months in hopes he would show investigators where his victims were buried. She has come forward to share her story in a new episode of Oxygen’s docuseries “Criminal Confessions,” which gives an inside look into actual police interrogations around the country.

Green River Killer Gary Ridgway has likely murdered more women who may never be found, says former FBI profiler

Green River Killer on TV: ‘Nothing remarkable at all about him’ to suggest he was violent

One of Washington’s most notorious serial killers will be featured Saturday (Nov. 24) on “Criminal Confessions,” a documentary series that focuses on police interrogations.

Gary Ridgway, the Green River Killer, now 69, has been interrogated countless times since he was first arrested in 2001.

Although Ridgway was convicted of killing 49 women, officials estimate the number is between 60 and 80.

Gary Ridgway, the Green River Killer, cried as families spoke of those he killed, but was it real?

O’Toole was brought in when it became clear the Green River Killer, or Gary Ridgway, was not going to reveal necessary details, like the burial locations of his victims, on his own accord. She’s trained to interact with serial killers by casing their personalities: Ridgway had the shared characteristics of psychopathic personalities, including pathological lying and extreme narcissism. O’Toole used that to her advantage.

She explained to Newsweek her tactic in speaking with Ridgway was to encourage him to speak for educational value. O’Toole, as seen on Criminal Confessions, asked Ridgway to direct his attention to a camera in the room, which was filming the conversation. While making eye contact with the lens, he explained he wanted to aid the FBI in research on serial killers. By making him believe his own life and actions were exceptional enough to be studied, O’Toole was able to play into his narcissism in order to make him speak.

Green River Killer Gary Ridgway has likely murdered more women who may never be found, says former FBI profiler

O’Toole described how Ridgway’s seemingly friendly mood darkened when she brought up his deceased mother, Mary Rita Ridgway. The Seattle Times previously reported Ridgway had murderous and sexual fantasies about the matriarch. In the documentary, a tearful Ridgway alleged he had a tumultuous relationship with his mother while growing up.

“When you’re investigating a sex crime, you have to look for what the particular sexually deviant behavior or what the paraphilic behaviors are,” explained O’Toole. “They’re learned and developed very… early in life. Not when you’re 40. They develop when you’re a little boy.”

However, O’Toole added Ridgway’s emotional state could have been an act to stay in control.

Thanks for all the postings. It sounds like it would be a good show.
Just checked the TV.
The documentary on Ridgway will begin tonight at 6:00 pm (in less than 40 minutes) on Oxygen.
This time would be for the east coast.

Excellent docu on ID right now about Ridgway, lots of interviews with family, investigators, etc. "My Uncle Is The Green River Killer".

Looking to talk to another true crime author as I am looking into starting correspondence with Gary Ridgway, "The Green River Killer", He is 66 now and there are still a lot of families without answers on where their loved ones are. There are at least 10-15 still missing women in Washington state who are believed to be his victims. Looking for answers and possibly writing a book about the journey to see if I can get anymore answers before his time is up and the answers remain a question forever and go to the grave with him. I am not glamorizing him or the disgusting things he has done so don't come at me for that.

Green River Killer: Youngest victim of serial killer identified

"SEATTLE - It’s the case that once terrorized not just Western Washington, but an entire nation for decades. Q13 News has learned the youngest victim of serial killer Gary Ridgway has been identified.

The identification brings up a largely unknown fact about the historic serial killer case, for the King County Sheriff’s Department, it’s never been closed. Behind the scenes, they’ve never stopped searching for the missing and working to identify nameless victims. For one detective in particular, being able to close this chapter in the case comes after a long emotional journey for answers..."

Wendy Stephens was one of four victims who were unidentified when Ridgway pleaded guilty to murdering 48 women in 2003.

The King County Sheriff’s Office, working with forensic anthropologist Dr. Katherine Taylor, the DNA Doe Project and other scientists, identified Stephens, who was only 14 years old when she ran away from her Denver, Colo. Home in 1983.

She is believed to be Ridgway’s youngest victim. Her remains were discovered in 1984 but where unidentified until now.

Stephens was able to be identified through the work of detectives, scientists and others who used the latest in emerging DNA and genealogical technologies.

“Cases once thought unsolvable are now within reach thanks to such pioneering work,” the King County Sheriff’s Office said in news release.

In the words of Dr. Taylor, “every person needs their name.”

“It is our hope today’s development brings those who love Wendy one step closer to healing,” the Sheriff’s Office said.
Green River killer victim, unidentified since 1984, found to be 14-year-old girl

Wendy Stephens was one of four victims who were unidentified when Ridgway pleaded guilty to murdering 48 women in 2003.

The King County Sheriff’s Office, working with forensic anthropologist Dr. Katherine Taylor, the DNA Doe Project and other scientists, identified Stephens, who was only 14 years old when she ran away from her Denver, Colo. Home in 1983.

She is believed to be Ridgway’s youngest victim. Her remains were discovered in 1984 but where unidentified until now.

Stephens was able to be identified through the work of detectives, scientists and others who used the latest in emerging DNA and genealogical technologies.

“Cases once thought unsolvable are now within reach thanks to such pioneering work,” the King County Sheriff’s Office said in news release.

In the words of Dr. Taylor, “every person needs their name.”

“It is our hope today’s development brings those who love Wendy one step closer to healing,” the Sheriff’s Office said.
Green River killer victim, unidentified since 1984, found to be 14-year-old girl
I'm so glad they finally identified her. I remember thinking how could such a young girl not be missed by her family.

Like so many there were red flags, they just fell by the wayside, in no way did he have a "Normal" Childhood.

Gary had a problem with bed wetting till his mid teens, (one of the characteristics, of the homicidal triad) he had an over bearing mother

There was an very strange relationship between the 2, his mother would actually wash off his genitals after, he later admitted he developed a strong sexual attraction to her. I , and many experts Strongly doubt that was the limit of the sexual contact she had with her son, many suspect there was a full blown sexual relationship between the 2. Though it was a source of sexual contact, it was also a source of humiliation, and with humiliation often comes rage , and sometimes further arousal.

Due to those urges, he admitted he thought about stabbing her to death, but couldn't, so one day at age 16 he stabbed a 6 year old boy "just to see what stabbing was like" in his own words . In this one instant we see the fledgling homicidal mind at work, the driving factor, displaced anger at his mother.

His IQ was tested in the low 80's and he struggled mightily through high school, but he knew enough when he was in the depth of his crimes, to try to throw law enforcement off his trail .

He was married 3 times the first one failed due to his wife's infidelity while he was away in the Navy, another source of humiliation . The second ended oddly after producing one child, because she feared Gary's odd ways, particularly how he liked to pretend to sneak up behind her and choke her when they were out taking walks in the woods, he also once did that in a fit of anger, prior to their divorce.

As in many murder cases, he was interviewed by police early on in the investigation, and his name surfaced numerous times throughout.

Like many other prostitute killers, he was a well known John to the street walkers in the area, and like so many others, there were women he didnt kill after utilizing their services, which allows them to blend in as they are seen as "regulars" because they are seen returning girls after. Arthur Shawcross or "Mitch" as he was known as by the area prostitutes, who then killed 12 of them (and 2 children years prior) did the same.

I agree with Dr. O'Toole however, that there are most likely more victims out there that haven't been found, and unless Ridgway is offered a plea deal excluding the death penalty in subsequent cases , he will most likely never talk.

I'm just starting this book! Had to check WS first. :p Glad to see you recommend it.
I'm just reading that book now too! Ann was such a great author.
I'm so shocked to read that he was followed home with one of his victims in the car in 1983, the police were called to his house and they left after 3 minutes, when Gary said he hadn't seen this woman !!:eek::eek::eek:

Suspected victim- Trina Deanne Hunter?

Trying to find information on one of the possible victims of GRK- Trina Deanne Hunter. There is very little information I can find about her, but her body was located near Battle Ground WA in 1982. Her name appears in several lists of possible or suspected victims. (I assume the suspected connection is timeframe and possibly connection to Tammy Liles and Angela Girdner? He also brought two Seattle victims' remains to the Portland area: Shirley Sherrill and Denise Bush). But I believe there could be another perpetrator from this area in the 70's-80's. Angelique French was also found strangled in this area back in 1975. (After Warren Forrest's arrest). Sandy Morden was likely killed sometime in late '78-'79, and Heather Guy went missing in early 1983.

Here's what I could find on the 'net:

Cold case unit off and running
"Dec. 29, 1982
The body of Trina Hunter, 17, was found along the roadway in the 4300 block of Northeast 239th Street in Battle Ground. She died of drowning, which was ruled a homicide. Detectives determined that Hunter was actively engaged in prostitution in Portland."

The predator's tale:
"Trina Hunter’s male relatives locked her in an attic when she wasn’t turning tricks for them."

I'm terribly sad that there isn't more information on Trina.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brew23p
Back