Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #78 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM
When it comes to abuse, have you ever heard someone say: "It’s really not that bad," "He’s never actually hit me," "It's a small thing not a big deal," It was just a brush against my nose," "It only happens when he’s drinking"?

Minimizing domestic abuse by the victim or worse by the abuser and others is dangerous.

Suzzane suffered abuse and it would be in injustice to her to minimize it. Its also an injustice to every other woman reading on this forum who is suffering abuse...

* BM pushed SM into a closest, held gun to is head, yelling "is this what you want?"

* Arguing with her about what she can and can't wear.

* BM texting several suicidal messages. (Guilting her.) He even said “I was trying to hurt her, make her feel bad”.

* On their vacation to Mexico BM "chased her" trying to take her phone in order to look at it/go through things.

* SM texts sister: BM abusive physically and emotionally. (Long text).

* She said marriage with Barry was troubled, she was afraid for her safety.

* She was afraid to be alone with him.

*She texts that BM is unstable

* BM throwing her into a closet door.

* BM pinning her to the bed.

* And when she needed money she went to him. He was her ATM. He controlled her flow of money.

Etc. Etc. Etc.....

Excellent summary, and I agree that the "clip against the nose" as reported by BM is likely to have been diminished by several degrees in the telling. I think also this this case is less in "smoking gun" than "evidence map" or "weighted blanket" territory, where the balance of evidence is spread more thinly but evenly, adding up to the same downward pressure on the ol' scales of justice.

Sure, we lack a definitive crime scene, murder weapon or body, but there are so many points that combine to tell the story of a dissolving marriage, a controlling, aggressive and unstable spouse in BM, a sequence of motivations including financial pressures and possible instability, an affair that offers a plausible stepping stone out for SM, and the loss of face and resources for BM -- let alone his stated belief in the "forever marriage" sanctioned by God (not alleging that he actually believed this in itself).

Does a jury want that smoking gun? Of course. Can they be led through a more nuanced and complex account of lies, oddities, timeline variances, text and other messaging, concerns expressed to witnesses, evidence of possible materials used in the crime and even the quasi-confessional moments from Barry? I expect they can -- just need the right kind of storyteller and a durable means of connecting those dots, those weighted points. IMO.

Exactly. BM had to wash any evidence off his clothes. He opened the washer and saw the sheets SM never got to wash for the houseguest she would never get to see. He dumped his own stuff in and turned on the machine for getting about that pesky little dart cap that lay deep in the pocket of his shorts.
Wasn’t the dryer empty in the body cam from yesterday?

Were the daughters still at home when the "I'm done" text was sent? Wondering if she told her daughters she was done? That might not sit well with BM. JMO.

I’m not sure if the youngest daughter was at home, but that poor girl must have witnessed SM and BM’s fighting. It sounds like things were getting physical and IIRC correctly, she told her mom to get a restraining order.

Does a jury want that smoking gun? Of course. Can they be led through a more nuanced and complex account of lies, oddities, timeline variances, text and other messaging, concerns expressed to witnesses, evidence of possible materials used in the crime and even the quasi-confessional moments from Barry? I expect they can -- just need the right kind of storyteller and a durable means of connecting those dots, those weighted points. IMO.
Absolutely agree on the storyteller. I have seen convictions with much less circumstantial evidence. I believe that they were secured because of an effective prosecution team that walked the jury through the evidence, step by step, plugged all of the questionable holes, and educated the jury as to why the only possible person responsible was the accused. The gnat-like defense team is more than capable of raising questions-they are very good at their jobs. An equally adept prosecution team is necessary-they may need to be even better.

Where did the nose bleed part come from? I had 12 different reporters on my tweet list that I copied all the tweets from and none of them mentioned that her nose bled. Can we have a link for that please?
@LaurenScharfTV

Agent Grusing was asked if #BarryMorphew ever struck #SuzanneMorphew and Barry allegedly told CBI agents "that it was an accident, he clipped the side of her nose with his hands."

12:16 PM · Aug 24, 2021

If this question was already answered, please accept my apology.

1. Lauren Scharf stated during her news coverage of day 4 of the PH that Patrick Murphy was the judge that signed the AA. When ruling on whether to hold BM over for trial, does he consider the AA in it's entirety or only issues raised during the PH?
  2. Does the fact that BM declared SM as incapacitated rule out the possibility of her being alive? Did the prosecution present this issue?

Exactly! If a detective is following up on this lead, then I think they could have called and found out it was say 6 segments matching and therefore like a 3rd or 4th cousin. There is no way to know who that person is and it definitely isn't the sex offender it partially matched too so what else would there be to follow up on. Now if they followed up and it was like 50% match, then the DNA likely belongs to a sibling, parent or child of that partial match and following up would be very different. It still does not mean the DNA was left by the "partial match sex offender" person. It isn't as big of a deal as the defense said.
Exactly, I agree. The DNA found In Suzanne’s vehicle isn’t a big deal IMO. I won’t go into detail about why here, @Murphy1950 post upthread explains it perfectly. Also as a side note, any time our vehicles are worked on/serviced, the receipt is folded and left in our glovebox. We’ve had our vehicles for about 4/5 years and I bet if one or both were to be swabbed inside, there’d be random DNA of people who’ve serviced them found on the glovebox, potentially other places too as we have our vehicles detailed at the dealership around once a year.

So far, the Defense have tried to shred Suzanne’s character (victim blaming/bashing), posited the SODDI and Gone Girl scenario, which is absolutely absurd on its face for many reasons: Suzanne wouldn’t leave everything behind, her daughters, ailing Father, oncology appt. etc., etc., never mind the fact that early May, 2020 was the height of COVID, strict travel guidelines were in place across the country (imo a 2x cancer survivor with compromised immune system likely wouldn’t risk travel), and borders were closed!

IMO, E&N are grasping because they literally have nothing else that exonerates their client. If BM’s ‘I was far away, out of town working at the time my wife went missing’ alibi was solid, why wouldn’t E&N be pounding away on that? Oh wait….

All of the above IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

Last edited:
Where did the nose bleed part come from? I had 12 different reporters on my tweet list that I copied all the tweets from and none of them mentioned that her nose bled. Can we have a link for that please?

I think it was speculation that grew legs.
Same as Suzanne implying to Barry in a text that she didn't care who he'd been with.
Neither have ever been stated (that I can find) but they still come up.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member