Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #79 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not seeing the connection other than the sheets were in the dryer with shorts BM wore on Saturday according to the Prosecution. I think SM had washed MM1’s sheets (checked off SM’s to-do-list) and had put them in the dryer, then BM washed his shorts & threw them in the dryer without removing the sheets. I don’t think the sheets are of any evidentiary value since they were found in the home and apparently no biological evidence was found on them. Moo

I don't believe the connection, either. I would think that SM did put the sheets in the wash machine, but didn't start it yet. Perhaps, she planned on adding her brown towel and bathing suit in later. I have done this with bed sheets. It seems like such a light load with one set of sheets. I usually wait till I have some clothes or towels to add to the mix before washing. I bet BM added his shorts and washed everything. I bet he put them in the dryer, but forgot about them.

This post is about BM and BM only. On Saturday May 9 did SM start to wash sheets and see something she wasn't expecting? JMO.
I don’t think there’s anyone who can factually answer your question. SM is no longer alive to answer what she might have seen, BM lies. IMO, SM put MM1 sheets in the wash as I recall reading on WS they were “ticked-off” her to do list laying on the kitchen counter. I don’t think the sheets are of any evidentiary value. All MOO

I don't believe the connection, either. I would think that SM did put the sheets in the wash machine, but didn't start it yet. Perhaps, she planned on adding her brown towel and bathing suit in later. I have done this with bed sheets. It seems like such a light load with one set of sheets. I usually wait till I have some clothes or towels to add to the mix before washing. I bet BM added his shorts and washed everything. I bet he put them in the dryer, but forgot about them.
Could be, but no way of knowing the details. Iirc, “wash MM1 sheets” was checked off SM’s to do list found on the kitchen counter. The sheets are not going to be important in this case anyway. MOO

Random and FWIW (I am certain you all have discussed the shoelaces plenty of times) but I wanted to share this.

I googled 'shoelaces and crimes' and the first thing that came up was about hog-tying someone. I didn't read the article but it certainly got me thinking.

Yesterday, I was cautiously optimistic that the FBI may have found some evidence of SM. Deep down though, I knew it wasn't going to be her. I believe SM is very, very close to home. I think she is buried in a cooler down by the river under a tree planted as a marker. I don't know if dogs would pick up her sent if she was sealed in a cooler. I would imagine being a landscape architect, BM could have crafted up something to look picturesque. Maybe even something natural looking and untouched. Hopefully, we will find out if something was done on the property like excavations.

I just wonder what he may have been doing by the river edge of his property for time frame he was there on 5/9. I just don't buy the turkey story. I file that under the chipmunk, deer, mountain lion, and elk stories.

Also, I wonder how long he actually stayed in that house after SM disappearance. Was he in a hurry to leave once the searches ceased? I imagine if she was close by, he would want to move on away from PP.. especially if the searches were completed.

I feel so sad for her. Isolated and alone being hunted down like an animal. I hope SM, and her family get the justice they deserve.
Great post however
BM was not a landscape architect by any stretch

No, I don't believe you are wrong about the parsing of potential domestic violence.

To be clear, busting the door frame, shooting 85 chipmunks, and threatening suicide were all acts of domestic violence by BM.

On May 18, 2021, the People of the State of Colorado filed 5 charges against BM including Murder, Tampering with a Deceased Body and Physical Evidence, Dangerous Weapon, and Attempt to Influence Public Servant with Domestic Violence Enhancement or Aggravator where the state does not treat domestic violence as an independent crime.

BM did not have to touch a hair on SM's head to warrant the domestic violence aggravator because the state recognizes that the act or threat of violence is the same.

The State further recognizes that any act or threat against a third person, or property for the purpose of coercion, control, punishment, intimidation, or revenge directed at a person with whom the aggressor has or had an intimate relationship is domestic violence.

Great information, @Seattle1.
Since the DV enhancer is applied to the charges, I expect the state would be wise to bring in an expert to educate the jury.

An abuser will hit a wall, sending the message, "I could do this to you. So get back in line, stop making me mad."

Or hold a gun to his head, screaming about suicide, sending the message, "I am out of control and can turn this gun on you too. So you better do what I say. Stop upsetting me."

Or shoot chipmunks for fun, sending a message, "killing is easy, don't push me too far."

I do believe he was physically abusive for some time. But carefully, trying not to leave bruises for others to I see.

He clipped her nose, accidentally, not buying it. I think he admitted this because he fears there is a photo out there somewhere of her busted nose.

He used his body bulk to push her around. It is obvious to me, at least, that he had done some serious bulking up shortly after their move to Colorado. I expect this only emboldened his tendency to dominate.

Macy bringing up a restraining order indicates what?

An abuser justifies the abuse by absolutely believing it is the victims fault. Look what you made me do. How dare you wanting to leave me.

Justice for Suzanne.

Imo

I haven't posted in quite a while but have watched this case from the start. After learning much more about the timelines and the windows of time that may have been used to dispose of evidence - I want to go back to a theory I had long ago. I am sure that LE has thought of this in all the hours and searches too. So much has been fixated on BM ' s hunting - but he probably also did a lot of fishing. As this outdoorsman, he would know of many places nearby to throw a line out. I direct attention to Colorado's largest reservoir - just down highway 50 and not far out of Gunnison. Well within the timeline to make a night time trip for disposal. There are two bridges where the highway passes over - and the guard rails are not that high. Below the water depth is very deep. Very very deep. At night this is a very low traveled area. Camera's ? I doubt it. But for someone desperate to hide something - a much easier disposal than trying to dig a deep hole.
Very unfortunately, any kind of deep diving or searching would require a heck of a lot of resources.
One thing that I wonder about in regards to items that BM may have used to dispose of evidence. There has been much talk about missing coolers. Maybe with weight that would work - tossing it over into deep water. But I have wondered about a potential tool chest he may have had in the back of his Ford and if it was ever missing ?
I think about a potential tool chest ( many are metal and fit snugly in the bed of a truck. I definitely had a hunter/ fisher friend with one of these in the bed of his Ford. It nestled up next to the cab and was metal. Made for a Ford pickup. My friend sure kept alot of tools and random stuff in there. It had a hinge that he simply used a heavy duty lock on. Like I said - it was metal and pretty good sized. Bigger than a cooler and heavy on its own. Very sinkable - forever - if you catch me.
I have also wondered about all of those random tools left by BM at the hotel in Broomfield. Obviously out of the back of his truck. Obviously not needed for that supposed job that day. Right ? So did those tools have a ' home ' - in the bed of his truck beforehand ? Had they been kept in a tool box that was not there anymore ? Were these random tools left at the hotel vs. brought back in the bed of his truck for a reason ? Not like they were used for something gross and nefarious - but simply because they no longer had a home in the bed of his truck ? And that might set off suspicion ?

I haven't posted in quite a while but have watched this case from the start. After learning much more about the timelines and the windows of time that may have been used to dispose of evidence - I want to go back to a theory I had long ago. I am sure that LE has thought of this in all the hours and searches too. So much has been fixated on BM ' s hunting - but he probably also did a lot of fishing. As this outdoorsman, he would know of many places nearby to throw a line out. I direct attention to Colorado's largest reservoir - just down highway 50 and not far out of Gunnison. Well within the timeline to make a night time trip for disposal. There are two bridges where the highway passes over - and the guard rails are not that high. Below the water depth is very deep. Very very deep. At night this is a very low traveled area. Camera's ? I doubt it. But for someone desperate to hide something - a much easier disposal than trying to dig a deep hole.
Very unfortunately, any kind of deep diving or searching would require a heck of a lot of resources.
One thing that I wonder about in regards to items that BM may have used to dispose of evidence. There has been much talk about missing coolers. Maybe with weight that would work - tossing it over into deep water. But I have wondered about a potential tool chest he may have had in the back of his Ford and if it was ever missing ?
I think about a potential tool chest ( many are metal and fit snugly in the bed of a truck. I definitely had a hunter/ fisher friend with one of these in the bed of his Ford. It nestled up next to the cab and was metal. Made for a Ford pickup. My friend sure kept alot of tools and random stuff in there. It had a hinge that he simply used a heavy duty lock on. Like I said - it was metal and pretty good sized. Bigger than a cooler and heavy on its own. Very sinkable - forever - if you catch me.
I have also wondered about all of those random tools left by BM at the hotel in Broomfield. Obviously out of the back of his truck. Obviously not needed for that supposed job that day. Right ? So did those tools have a ' home ' - in the bed of his truck beforehand ? Had they been kept in a tool box that was not there anymore ? Were these random tools left at the hotel vs. brought back in the bed of his truck for a reason ? Not like they were used for something gross and nefarious - but simply because they no longer had a home in the bed of his truck ? And that might set off suspicion ?
I don’t see BM disposing of SM in anything that can be connected back to him, ie coolers, toolbox, etc. if her remains were ever located in a cooler or toolbox which could be tied back to BM, that would seal his fate, imho.

No, I don't believe you are wrong about the parsing of potential domestic violence.

To be clear, busting the door frame, shooting 85 chipmunks, and threatening suicide were all acts of domestic violence by BM.

On May 18, 2021, the People of the State of Colorado filed 5 charges against BM including Murder, Tampering with a Deceased Body and Physical Evidence, Dangerous Weapon, and Attempt to Influence Public Servant with Domestic Violence Enhancement or Aggravator where the state does not treat domestic violence as an independent crime.

BM did not have to touch a hair on SM's head to warrant the domestic violence aggravator because the state recognizes that the act or threat of violence is the same.

The State further recognizes that any act or threat against a third person, or property for the purpose of coercion, control, punishment, intimidation, or revenge directed at a person with whom the aggressor has or had an intimate relationship is domestic violence.
I went to collect all this information, and you did it with one fell swoop! BAM!! @Seattle1 !!

I understand where @RIPRM is coming from. Many people don’t “recognize” domestic violence unless it’s proven with “Nicole Brown Simpson” photos w/black, swollen eyes & lots of bruises. Imo, that’s one of the reasons it continues to be tolerated, lack of awareness of what DV entails. The day to day “subtle” abuses are overlooked or explained away as “all couples have problems or differences.” I think it’s a pretty common problem. Unless the Prosecution starts out with an expert to educate the jury, in my opinion, I’m not sure the domestic violence claims will be fully understood by the jury. MOO
They will be fully understood by the jury.

Random and FWIW (I am certain you all have discussed the shoelaces plenty of times) but I wanted to share this.

I googled 'shoelaces and crimes' and the first thing that came up was about hog-tying someone. I didn't read the article but it certainly got me thinking.

I had that same thought while reading the PH tweets. Plus, shoelaces for boots are going to be really long and are typically more like cording than flat laces.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

If SM was incapacitated by tranquilizer, hog tieing her with thick corded shoe laces would make for easier transport or for stuffing her into something like a cooler. Plus if she came to unexpectedly, she wouldn’t be able to move.

And I believe there is video evidence and/or BM testimony that he threw out boots that did not have laces. His claim is that he’s such a cheapskate that he kept the laces and threw out the boots.

Of course, this same cheapskate also threw out what was most likely a very expensive camo jacket. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Great information, @Seattle1.
Since the DV enhancer is applied to the charges, I expect the state would be wise to bring in an expert to educate the jury.

An abuser will hit a wall, sending the message, "I could do this to you. So get back in line, stop making me mad."

Or hold a gun to his head, screaming about suicide, sending the message, "I am out of control and can turn this gun on you too. So you better do what I say. Stop upsetting me."

Or shoot chipmunks for fun, sending a message, "killing is easy, don't push me too far."

I do believe he was physically abusive for some time. But carefully, trying not to leave bruises for others to I see.

He clipped her nose, accidentally, not buying it. I think he admitted this because he fears there is a photo out there somewhere of her busted nose.

He used his body bulk to push her around. It is obvious to me, at least, that he had done some serious bulking up shortly after their move to Colorado. I expect this only emboldened his tendency to dominate.

Macy bringing up a restraining order indicates what?

An abuser justifies the abuse by absolutely believing it is the victims fault. Look what you made me do. How dare you wanting to leave me.

Justice for Suzanne.

Imo
BBM

If SM was incapacitated by tranquilizer, hog tieing her with thick corded shoe laces would make for easier transport or for stuffing her into something like a cooler. Plus if she came to unexpectedly, she wouldn’t be able to move.

And I believe there is video evidence and/or BM testimony that he threw out boots that did not have laces. His claim is that he’s such a cheapskate that he kept the laces and threw out the boots.

Of course, this same cheapskate also threw out what was most likely a very expensive camo jacket. :rolleyes:
Hes a spendthrift, not a cheapskate.
He treated himself tp ever toy, caviar hunting trips, driving new cars.
Why, if he so pennywise was he not utilizing the Association dumpster he has already paid for?

??
I didn't present anything as a fact, I shared my google search results and stated 'for what it's worth'.
You are right. Please keep sharing your thoughts coming.

I personally feel the shoelaces were an excuse to get rid of the boots. However, keep your thoughts coming. It add much to our discussions.

This was my train of thought.

Yes. We know that the unlaced boots were disposed of. The question then becomes, "What became of the laces? Why remove them from the boots prior to disposal?"

Possible answers abound, but since the boot laces seemingly cannot be accounted for, there's the distinct possibility that they were part of the commission of the crime: used as a garrotte, bindings, or simply contaminated in some way that required their disposal, separated from the boots they belonged to, presumably to help break the bond between boot and lace and between boots, laces, and Barry Morphew.

These are fair questions, IMO, as we know from the PH, because they are yet another point of departure from what we might call "expected behaviour" and the actions of BM during that 24 hours that included the disappearance of SM, and in that strange period of travel, TV-watching and extended sequence of trash runs. Sure, the boot laces may be irrelevant, but the trouble he took to remove and then separately dispose of them suggests otherwise.

I don't quite grasp the "evidence/nexus" discussion that @IRBHTX is developing, so will leave it alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiteRaven