TX - Everett Briscoe, 41, N.O. LE, & Dyrin Riculfy, 43, murdered, Houston, 21 Aug 2021 *ARRESTS*

Zulu is a fabulous and prestigious African-American organization that puts on a huge New Orleans parade and does much for the New Orleans community. We always look forward to Zulu. I would bet they get behind raising a reward for their members.

Off-duty New Orleans police officer killed in southwest Houston

This is a horrifying crime.
The police officer, who was apparently visiting Houston from New Orleans, has not yet been named.
This happened in broad daylight, on the patio of an upscale restaurant, near one of the busiest intersections in southwest Houston.
I am stunned.
Here is a Google Earth view of the neighborhood and what appears to be a nice resturant. There appears to be a level ground patio that may have been easy for the perps to gain access.

Google Earth

I wonder if they were targeted. I’m sure there are plenty of NO criminals who have associates in DFW.

Except this happened in Houston, not Dallas/Fort Worth.
There are many Houstonians who have ties to New Orleans, and I think most are not of the criminal element. It is an easy straight 6 hour drive from NO to HOU, so the perpetrators could have traveled if this was targeted. But I am inclined to think this was a senseless murder as a result of a stupid senseless robbery. This was in a very high end part of town, in an upscale restaurant. Perps may have thought the patrons there were easy to access since they accosted them on the outdoor patio which is right next to the parking lot.

Last edited:
Here are links to where the crime scene is, 4715 Westneimer.
The restaurant is called Grotto.
It is in a strip center, a block from a freeway that can be seen in the distance in the 360 view.
Google Maps
Scroll down to the Photos on this page and click the 360 view.

ETA - sorry, I see Razz already posted the Google map link.
Thanks @Razz.

Last edited:
New Orleans off-duty officer killed had been in Houston only few hours before shooting

The Zulu group that traveled to Houston had only been in town for a few hours before this tragedy unfolded. They were staying at the Hotel Derek directly across the street from the Grotto restaurant. The other Zulu member wounded in the shooting is Dyrin Riculfy. He remains in the hospital in critical condition.

While it's still unclear what led to the shooting, James said he heard from other members that the suspects approached them, demanded they put their hands up and started shooting, striking Briscoe and Riculfy. He adds that the suspects did not ask for or take any property from the men.

10972963_NOLA-group-TN-img.jpg

August 25, 2021
Longtime friend of Galleria area restaurant shooting victim says he's 'one of a kind'
''Meanwhile, his Zulu brothers are holding on to hope and pleading to whoever knows more about this shooting to come forward.

"Please, please if you know anything, if you know of anyone who knows anything, just spread the word. Just say something. We appreciate it. No matter what, we are resilient, but at the same time, we are hurting," said Jenkins.

The reward is now $100,000 for anyone who can provide information about this case that leads to an arrest.

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers of Houston at 713-222-TIPS.''

I am inclined to think this was a senseless murder as a result of a stupid senseless robbery. This was in a very high end part of town, in an upscale restaurant. Perps may have thought the patrons there were easy to access since they accosted them on the outdoor patio which is right next to the parking lot.

Well said, and probably correct. As you stated, they had only been in town for a few hours, making targeting less likely.

Furthermore, a survivor who had briefly left the group to make a purchase at a CVS seemed to imply that the groups selected the restaraunt simply because it was close to the hotel and probably looked nice. Thus, there may not of been any social media from the group regarding plans to eat to eat at Grotto in particular.

Gun a good man down as he sits at a restaurant, you deserve to be served your just deserts! imo.
rbbm
2 charged with capital murder in shooting of Det. Everett Briscoe | khou.com
''Suspects were out on bond for other crimes, D.A. says

Both Houston suspects charged in NOPD Detective Everett Briscoe’s murder are believed to be behind other Galleria-area robberies, police said. They were out on bond at the time of the shootings, which also left in critical condition.

a3be626b-38e2-484b-8c9c-c247affd8ff4_16x9.jpg
a3be626b-38e2-484b-8c9c-c247affd8ff4_1140x641.jpg

Credit: KHOU 11
Suspects in murder of a New Orleans police officer and the wounding of his friend at a Houston restaurant
"We're sickened by this bold attack that left one beloved detective dead and his friend still fighting for his life," Ogg said. "Our city's shaken at how this could happen on a weekend afternoon at a restaurant in the heart of the tourist area. Details are brutal and they are heartbreaking."

"Death is on the table — they will consider the death penalty in this case," said Ogg.

Ogg said at the time of Saturday’s shootings, Jenkins was out on a $40,000 bond for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Jackson was also out on bond for an aggravated robbery in 2020. That crime involved someone who was followed from the Galleria area and then robbed of items that exceeded $40,000 in value, the district attorney said.''

Last edited:
This tragedy has been multiplied - second victim dies of his wounds. :oops:
Houston Galleria-area shooting victim Dyrin Riculfy dies after fighting for his life in hospital

Word of Riculfy's death comes on the same day that one of the men accused of the shooting, 21-year-old Anthony Rayshard Jenkins, appears in a Houston courtroom as prosecutors are bidding to keep the suspect behind bars without bond.

On Monday, Jenkins and another suspect, Frederick Jackson, separately appeared before a judge a couple of days after Houston police announced their arrests in the case.

I cannot emphasize enough the apparent randomness of this horrific crime.
These victims were sitting in the patio of a well-respected popular restaurant at the center of the busiest retail intersection of Houston during the dinner hour. It is a situation ANY of us could have been in.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back