UK UK - Claudia Lawrence, 35, Chef, York University, 18 March 2009 #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Following this case closely and signed up here as it is very local to me, I fished the gravel pits weekly for years, worked at monk bar hotel at the same time as and knew CL, knocked around heworth and the pubs there when I was younger. Its interesting to read both on social media and the news updates and info but there are so many inaccuracies posted about the gravel pits relative to size and layout. I will chip in where I can help with local knowledge and hope the current activity turns up answers to Yorks biggest mystery.

Can you explain the use of the long wooden thing near the gravel pits?

Thanks for this. It looks staged (I can't see any food remants) and who eats breakfast in a dish with a fork? Very strange and unusual for a single person to leave crockery like that for someone who was evidently quite tidy.

Scrambled egg maybe?

But also she was 35 and had alcohol on a regular basis? The glasses maybe to stop hangovers. Like take 2 glasses to bed so you drink regularly. Taking into account another glass for a different drink like juice and maybe a glass to water plants, I can definitely see glasses piling up for just one or 2 days.

I can see a 4th glass on the left now you mention it but not 5. Maybe she had company the evening before?

I'd post a link but the only thing I'm finding on Google Images links back to a post on this site that seems to have gone.
In the (picture) is a wine glass - to its left a pint glass - to the left of the sink there’s a what looks like a wine glass in a pint glass and then there’s a tumbler on the sink edge. I was quoting from memory earlier, I’ve since found a photo I had screen shot several years ago. There are two large knives at the bottom of the sink. I’m not really sure what can be applied to her disappearance from the sink - although it’s clear she had a visitor - Claudia drunk cider according to MSM - but wether at home she drank out of a wine or pint glass is anyone’s guess though Claudia is right handed therefore I’d say it’s likely she was holding her glass in her right hand and took her visitors glass with her left hand - probably placing the ones to the right first and then the ones to the left second. I think she would have had the visitors glass in her left hand and placed her glass inside it. The tumbler with water in it to the left - I’d wondered if she used it to swill after brushing her teeth. I think unless you are the police - it’s inconclusive wether it’s breakfast dishes or not.

Scrambled egg maybe?

But also she was 35 and had alcohol on a regular basis? The glasses maybe to stop hangovers. Like take 2 glasses to bed so you drink regularly. Taking into account another glass for a different drink like juice and maybe a glass to water plants, I can definitely see glasses piling up for just one or 2 days.

Whilst I would agree scrambled egg is eaten with a fork I would normally expect to see it on a plate not in a bowl. Pasta in a bowl with a fork - yes. Scrambled egg in a bowl with a fork - nope.

I suppose this is why NYP are of the opinion that she got up to go to work as usual and something happened on that morning.

I was initially thinking she didn't make it past 9:12 and the text to SC was a red herring. Hence my thinking the breakfast pots were staged. However, I am now being drawn to something happening on the morning of the 19th March.

I can see a 4th glass on the left now you mention it but not 5. Maybe she had company the evening before?

I'd post a link but the only thing I'm finding on Google Images links back to a post on this site that seems to have gone.
In the (picture) is a wine glass - to its left a pint glass - to the left of the sink there’s a what looks like a wine glass in a pint glass and then there’s a tumbler on the sink edge. I was quoting from memory earlier, I’ve since found a photo I had screen shot several years ago. There are two large knives at the bottom of the sink. I’m not really sure what can be applied to her disappearance from the sink - although it’s clear she had a visitor - Claudia drunk cider according to MSM - but wether at home she drank out of a wine or pint glass is anyone’s guess though Claudia is right handed therefore I’d say it’s likely she was holding her glass in her right hand and took her visitors glass with her left hand - probably placing the ones to the right first and then the ones to the left second. I think she would have had the visitors glass in her left hand and placed her glass inside it. The tumbler with water in it to the left - I’d wondered if she used it to swill after brushing her teeth. I think unless you are the police - it’s inconclusive wether it’s breakfast dishes or not.
Scrambled egg maybe?

another point is I believe Claudia to be right handed - if you notice the cutlery is pointing to the left as well as the tooth brush? Was she left handed?

Whilst I would agree scrambled egg is eaten with a fork I would normally expect to see it on a plate not in a bowl. Pasta in a bowl with a fork - yes. Scrambled egg in a bowl with a fork - nope.

I suppose this is why NYP are of the opinion that she got up to go to work as usual and something happened on that morning.

I was initially thinking she didn't make it past 9:12 and the text to SC was a red herring. Hence my thinking the breakfast pots were staged. However, I am now being drawn to something happening on the morning of the 19th March.
If you are heading towards the morning - take a look at the bus cctv - 9.01pm on the 18th two cars out side her house - an SUV - probably a dark coloured or black Ford ranger and an unidentifiable car - at 9.01pm as the bus reaches the car in front you can see a man squeezing between the cars - he looks in a rush. Just before this footage at 8.23pm all signs of life from Claudia cease.

another point is I believe Claudia to be right handed - if you notice the cutlery is pointing to the left as well as the tooth brush? Was she left handed?

To me that seems like how a right handed person would eat. You keep your fork in your left hand and knife in right. So even when not using a knife you still have the habit of using a left hand for a fork?

iKnowyouknow i respectfully hold a different view.
Whether it be her parents, friends , former boyfriends ,or former work colleagues effectively everyone who knew her all say Claudia was initally shy with people and also didnt know or exploit to her advantage that she was very attractive. In fact her mother goes a lot further saying that claudia had very low self esteem and when they went shopping claudia would get many admiring looks from men but never even realised it herself.
It says something about her calm happy friendly manner that former work colleagues and boyfriends happily stayed in touch. I have seen nothing anywhere which says she was ever rude aggressive or confrontational quite the opposite by all accounts she was over often over generous
Her day to day life was similar to millions of people, she was sensible conscientious house proud worked full time including 6am shifts where her father said she would get up at 4am (self discipline trait there!) her spare time was mainly spent with friends primarily at the nags head or with her parents .
I do agree that a disproportionate amount is known about her last 2 years when living in heworth to her life before then. We know the basics of career and love life but aside from a few people she previously worked with as friends not much known or shared at all in Gone book about her life friends hobbies between ages 18-33 moving to york.
The problem is that from the investigation perspective she also had many male friends nothing wrong with that of course but locally she had male friends former work colleagues, many at nags head and in cyprus had got to know many bar owners also primarily men. I dont believe she was leading any kind of double life she was just very popular and spent a lot of time out and about in pubs and abroad.
Definitely a naivety to her but nothing nasty at all based on anything i have read
Kaykedi...i havent got the quote right now but her final text were with her male friend in cyprus about visiting him i recall was along the lines of 'trying to get a cheap hotel but finding it hard everywhere else cheap except cyprus will keep looking' general chat about her visiting thats all nothing of stress or concern as i recall at all
Great post, and, thank you for explaining about Claudia's last text

Just thought I'd mention that I do my scrambled eggs in the microwave in a bowl, and, eat them with a fork

have been ill etc...ok to post simple stuff but not anything that needs great concentration....so hello everyone.
hope the family is finally to get some answers....I can understand why, faced with the horror of c probably having been murdered, her mother would have rather shed been killed by Halliwell...better a random killing than a. so called. friend or lover, and it wouldn't have implicated claudia in. any funny stuff...dont believe it was. him though.

haven't read back yet, so, taking that into account, im sure im just having useless doubts with the comment that her father didn't necessarily know if she was there or that its church commissioners land.

I dont really get the comments about people from York not knowing the area....I know such areas further. than that from where I live. and I dont go fishing....if it her disappearance was. caused by organised criminals, they may have used it for meetings or whatever before

Can you explain the use of the long wooden thing near the gravel pits?
I know someone who will know the answer to why that was put there. If I catch them over the next day or so I will try and find out.
They are covered in plastic and tyres. I dont know what's under them but they arent like that year round.

I dont
To me that seems like how a right handed person would eat. You keep your fork in your left hand and knife in right. So even when not using a knife you still have the habit of using a left hand for a fork?[/QUO
I don’t - if im only using a fork it’s in my right hand. Though you may find others are different - perhaps Claudia was

I'm right handed but use my fork in my right hand. I also always eat scrambled eggs from a bowl. I don't think we should read too much into the position of the fork but calling numerous pots and wine glasses 'breakfast dishes' is very odd.

I'm right handed but use my fork in my right hand. I also always eat scrambled eggs from a bowl. I don't think we should read too much into the position of the fork but calling numerous pots and wine glasses 'breakfast dishes' is very odd.

Same. When you're by yourself, it's easy and quick. I eat almost everything from a large bowl and a fork. When you're eating while on a couch/bed etc. bowl is better as things don't fall off easy. Using a right-hand-fork for everything is very common in America.

The only reason to look at the position of the fork and cutlery is there is a possibility of a “left handed smoker” could he of stayed over on the evening of the 18th? At some point Claudia has had company - hence the glasses. Did they come forward in the appeals? If not why not?

They are covered in plastic and tyres. I dont know what's under them but they arent like that year round.
It’s been a fair few years now though since you could properly see the plastic and tyre covering, that bit of land is so overgrown now. Whatever the reason for it, I’m pretty sure it will be something innocuous like composting, growing a new species of plant/tree or something to do with the biogas business…..

From what I’ve seen, on the photos, it seems a lot of effort is being put into exploring and draining the ponds themselves too. This suggests to me they have had a tip off with regards searching the local area rather than a specific place/structure?

Although in the picture I saw it was laid horizontally on the dish draining rack, not upright on its charger. The first thing that struck me when I saw that picture was what an odd place to leave a toothbrush.

Our toothbrushes are normally kept in the bathroom, and charged in another room every couple of weeks or so when they begin to run down.
Electric toothbrushes buildup dried toothpaste etc so they need to be cleaned to get all the buildup out. Very possible the toothbrush was cleaned and set to dry before putting back on the charge. Just an idea.

I use my fork in right hand and I'm also right handed.
Some people do. But AFAIK it's common etiquette and taught in some schools to use left and not right hand for fork so she could be the type to use either. I think it's one of those things where you can't rule on way or the other from just a photo so I'm assuming the police have information about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member