Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #79 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, plus he didn't know that Suzanne had saved 5 hours of conversation on the spy pen. IMO, Suzanne kept that to possibly have proof to show to JL's wife after she left Barry. There really wouldn't be any other reason to save the conversations. Is it nice? No but it happens everyday, everywhere. If JL knew that Suzanne was terrified of Barry, he shouldn't have encouraged her down a very dangerous path and helped put her in very, very risky situation. I have no sympathy for JL. These are not young kids, both knew better and used poor judgement.
I wonder whether JL was ever truly planning to leave his wife and family for Suzanne.

Some of the texts released seem to be more a flirtatious or teasing manner, to me anyway.

. On May 8 he texted her: 'You look good in biking gear babe. You need to be my wife.'

Suzanne Morphew's married lover was featured alongside her husband Barry in the local paper in 1985 | Daily Mail Online

Is there any possible way JL was on video still with SM when BM busted the door down ?

I'm just jumping off your post to ask, how we went from it being reported that there was a crack in the door frame
"The door frame of the couples master bedroom on the first floor had damage. Undersheriff Andy Rohrich testified saying it appeared to be from forced entry from the outside." ‘Did you ever find the journal? No’; Evidence discovered inside Suzanne Morphew’s home released | FOX21 News Colorado

to either the door being busted down as you've suggested, or that there were wood splinters on the floor as has also been posted here. Was it just a crack or was it far more substantial damage with visible splinters of wood laying nearby? I'm now wondering if I've missed some important tweets from the PH?

I wonder whether JL was ever truly planning to leave his wife and family for Suzanne.

Some of the texts released seem to be more a flirtatious or teasing manner, to me anyway.

Suzanne Morphew's married lover was featured alongside her husband Barry in the local paper in 1985 | Daily Mail Online
I think she was very vulnerable, and he exploited it. If I recall correctly, there was a party for Suzanne in Indiana prior to the move...and JL showed up. I would speculate that conversation and nostalgia were stirred up at that point in time. He may have had puppy love feelings for Suzanne...but this was a fantasy relationship...built on deceit and "escapism". He used her....and liked what he was using. But after each get together (all 6)...he went home and rejoined his "gang" as if nothing happened. Hard to tell how long this would have continued, had Suzanne not disappeared...but, I would speculate that Suzanne would have eventually popped an ultimatum on Jeff....or simply ended it on her own when she realized she was chasing a rabbit. I can't help but think that Suzanne was left with some bitterness over her fight with cancer...and Barry's lack of emotional support and understanding. She fell out of love with Barry...and was trapped. Those two components were not lost on JL...they were his ticket to Suzanne's affections.

I think she was very vulnerable, and he exploited it. If I recall correctly, there was a party for Suzanne in Indiana prior to the move...and JL showed up. I would speculate that conversation and nostalgia were stirred up at that point in time. He may have had puppy love feelings for Suzanne...but this was a fantasy relationship...built on deceit and "escapism". He used her....and liked what he was using. But after each get together (all 6)...he went home and rejoined his "gang" as if nothing happened. Hard to tell how long this would have continued, had Suzanne not disappeared...but, I would speculate that Suzanne would have eventually popped an ultimatum on Jeff....or simply ended it on her own when she realized she was chasing a rabbit. I can't help but think that Suzanne was left with some bitterness over her fight with cancer...and Barry's lack of emotional support and understanding. She fell out of love with Barry...and was trapped. Those two components were not lost on JL...they were his ticket to Suzanne's affections.
I have known a few coworkers who have had what I call a “convention boyfriend.” The only time they meet is when the married boyfriend is out of town, at a convention or other work-related business travel.

The women fall for the flirting and vague promises about how they “should be married” but you know the men have no intention whatsoever of leaving their wives, families, careers, home, and way of life.

Sadly I feel that Suzanne had only a “convention boyfriend” although she didn’t realize it. MOO

We know he stayed quiet to cover his own butt and save his marriage and pretend the affair didn’t happen. He probably thought they would never find him.

But what I want to know is what did he think happened to Suzanne? Did he think she ran away? Did he think she just decided to stay with Barry? Did he think she was dead?

Once the news came out he must have suspected that Barry murdered her. Maybe he figured he was next. Out of sight out of mind.
I hope his wife asking him these same questions

I have known a few coworkers who have had what I call a “convention boyfriend.” The only time they meet is when the married boyfriend is out of town, at a convention or other work-related business travel.

The women fall for the flirting and vague promises about how they “should be married” but you know the men have no intention whatsoever of leaving their wives, families, careers, home, and way of life.

Sadly I feel that Suzanne had only a “convention boyfriend” although she didn’t realize it. MOO
Maybe Suzanne knew she was a “convention girlfriend”. It’s possible. She was very isolated, and she picked a guy that wasn’t looking for a wife-she could have the exciting fun stuff, without the daily drudgery. She could video chat naked and have stimulating intelligent conversations while her workaholic husband was not at home-which was often. Fantasy life vs real life. The escape to Ecuador and getting married could have been part of dreamy pillow talk but not grounded in reality. Suzanne was barely out of her teens when she married. She might have been chasing what she missed out on. I am not here to judge whether she was being a bad wife or if Barry drove her to it. My focus is on Barry killing Suzanne. The DV component relates to her murder, not why she hooked up with JL. You are not entitled to kill a cheating wife. If this case becomes too much about cheating Suzanne and hurt Barry, Suzanne’s murder gets lost.

Maybe Suzanne knew she was a “convention girlfriend”. It’s possible. She was very isolated, and she picked a guy that wasn’t looking for a wife-she could have the exciting fun stuff, without the daily drudgery. She could video chat naked and have stimulating intelligent conversations while her workaholic husband was not at home-which was often. Fantasy life vs real life. The escape to Ecuador and getting married could have been part of dreamy pillow talk but not grounded in reality. Suzanne was barely out of her teens when she married. She might have been chasing what she missed out on. I am not here to judge whether she was being a bad wife or if Barry drove her to it. My focus is on Barry killing Suzanne. The DV component relates to her murder, not why she hooked up with JL. You are not entitled to kill a cheating wife. If this case becomes too much about cheating Suzanne and hurt Barry, Suzanne’s murder gets lost.
Great post I think your absolutely right on. My first husband was a very abusive, workaholic, jealous businessman, I always had a bruise to coverup somewhere. The last thing I would have done is risk having a BF even though I had many opportunities to do so. I had no doubt if I got caught he would explode and kill me. Suzanne had to know she was playing with fire but I guess to her it was worth the risk. Too bad it wasn’t with a guy who truly loved and cared for her to help get her out of that life. That JL was a coward. If I were his wife I would take my kids and get as far away from him as I could.

My therapist once told me the mental abuse can be much more damaging because it's hard to get people to understand that there is abuse. It's harder for the person to realize they are being abused and not just dealing with a mean person or a personality issue. There is no physical evidence and the manipulative one convinces others they are amazing and leaves the victim feeling like it's them or their fault or not knowing if they are crazy or the person is really up and down. It changes how you function on many levels and then when you do get help (if you ever do) you don't know what is really you and what has been a result of the abuse. Unpacking all that can be very difficult. When you can walk in and say he hit me, he pushed me, he held me down there are actual events to discuss and work through. When you just feel like you can't speak or like you have had this pattern of subtle control that eroded your self confidence, you can't even figure out where to begin to heal that.
Just wanted to say @justtrish that I thought this was a very good post. Very well said! I think Suzanne was “beaten down” by Barry emotionally & mentally over the years culminating with a period of some physical violence towards the end but it’s all abuse!

We know he stayed quiet to cover his own butt and save his marriage and pretend the affair didn’t happen. He probably thought they would never find him.

But what I want to know is what did he think happened to Suzanne? Did he think she ran away? Did he think she just decided to stay with Barry? Did he think she was dead?

Once the news came out he must have suspected that Barry murdered her. Maybe he figured he was next. Out of sight out of mind.
If JL was worried about Suzanne and he really loved her he would have called the police. Period. There is no excuse! When he couldn’t reach her and then he saw the news reports that she was “missing” and her bike was found etc. that is the point where a decent man would realize it’s time to come clean to my wife and talk to LE immediately. Or he could have gone to Colorado and knocked on her door and confronted Barry himself. This is a more dangerous option but if he didn’t want LE or his wife to find out but his soulmate and future “wife” was missing you would think he would want to talk to Barry man to man and look him in the eye. Maybe at first he thought Suzanne ran away from Barry but after a few days and she didn’t contact him and when he heard the news coverage about the bogus bike ride he had to suspect the worst. And if he was actually on the phone with Suzanne and heard something like Barry yelling at her or she screamed or he heard a struggle taking place and he just hung up and started deleting stuff then he is not just a coward but he also suppressed evidence and gave Barry a chance to hide Suzanne’s body and set up the bike ride and job alibi trip. If he heard something or suspected Suzanne was in danger and he called LE right away they literally could have caught Barry in the act with her body. All just MOO but I have no respect for JL. I do hope we get to hear from him at Barry’s trial and I hope he regrets his actions or non action and it haunts him…if he ever truly loved Suzanne which I have my doubts about. And if he was my husband I would not only be devastated by the long term affair and betrayal but I would be just as disgusted with him for not doing the right thing. I feel very sorry for his wife and SIX children whose lives were blown up over this too. MOO

I think he was scared <modsnip>. Two fold. He was scared for Suzanne but I don’t think he thought BM would kill her and once she disappeared he became more scared for himself. I think once he started to learn she was missing he thought he was next. That’s when he started deleting all his correspondences. Got scared out of his mind. Clammed up and went ghost. He was cowering in a corner scared for his life.

I’d love to admonish him for not coming forward but I think he was petrified of BM especially after learning he disappeared his wife. He knew a whole lot more about the abuse that she faced than we ever will.
I’m sure he was scared of Barry and he should be but if JL called the police right away there is no way Barry would have come for him. No way would he risk it if he knew JL talked to the Sheriff already and told him about the affair. JMOO

Last edited by a moderator:
If JL was worried about Suzanne and he really loved her he would have called the police. Period. There is no excuse! When he couldn’t reach her and then he saw the news reports that she was “missing” and her bike was found etc. that is the point where a decent man would realize it’s time to come clean to my wife and talk to LE immediately. Or he could have gone to Colorado and knocked on her door and confronted Barry himself. This is a more dangerous option but if he didn’t want LE or his wife to find out but his soulmate and future “wife” was missing you would think he would want to talk to Barry man to man and look him in the eye. Maybe at first he thought Suzanne ran away from Barry but after a few days and she didn’t contact him and when he heard the news coverage about the bogus bike ride he had to suspect the worst. And if he was actually on the phone with Suzanne and heard something like Barry yelling at her or she screamed or he heard a struggle taking place and he just hung up and started deleting stuff then he is not just a coward but he also suppressed evidence and gave Barry a chance to hide Suzanne’s body and set up the bike ride and job alibi trip. If he heard something or suspected Suzanne was in danger and he called LE right away they literally could have caught Barry in the act with her body. All just MOO but I have no respect for JL. I do hope we get to hear from him at Barry’s trial and I hope he regrets his actions or non action and it haunts him…if he ever truly loved Suzanne which I have my doubts about. And if he was my husband I would not only be devastated by the long term affair and betrayal but I would be just as disgusted with him for not doing the right thing. I feel very sorry for his wife and SIX children whose lives were blown up over this too. MOO
Great post.

Respectfully snipped for brevity. Bolded by me.

I wonder who could send Jeff a link? Almost no one knew about the affair. The source of the link would seem important to me.

I don't think whoever sent the link about Suzanne to JL knew of any affair. They attended the same school. That's enough commonality to provoke a classmate to notify JL.

What may be of interest is the content of a response, if any, that JL replied.

I'm sure most all of their classmates have chatted about SM missing, then Barry being charged with Murder 1.

Except I think BM added the naked version after he decided that the couple had a great night, SM was drug/alcohol-free, they shared a one-plate meal (awkwardly seated on bar stools in the kitchen?) and the night ended in passionate lovemaking. I think he even said that he rolls over and falls asleep! (Explaining why he didn't recall SM sleepwear).

I think the white shorts and tank top (string top) was the version where they went on a hike on Saturday -- just like the Saturday morning text messages suggested.

MOO
I’ve been thinking about those 5/9 texts between Barry & Suzanne. They seem kind of weird. Especially the text asking Suzanne if she wanted to go on a hike. She replied “where?” And then he never answered until later when Suzanne brought it up again. Why did he not answer her about where he wanted to hike or ask her where she would like to go? And then when she asked if he wanted to meet up and hike he curtly replied no he was coming home. Why did he change his mind? I still think he was spying on her and somehow he could see her messages and photo she sent to JL. But why did he tell her he was coming home if he wanted to sneak up on her?

And for that matter why would Suzanne even consider going on a hike with Barry on May 9th when she told him on May 6th she was DONE? I can understand trying to be civil but going on a hike by herself with him? That tells me she did not think he would actually harm her and she had no idea of just what evil Barry was capable of. As other posters have theorized, maybe he was going along with the divorce talk saying he would always love her and they would remain friends and co-parent together. He might have said they would tell the girls together when they got home and that he would sell the house and “write her a check” and in the meantime he would help her find her own place so that’s why she sent him the info on a house for sale in Salida. (I still don’t get the Arizona connection.). Maybe Barry lured her into a false sense of security? She thought everything was going to work out for the best and eventually she would find happiness with JL. Poor Suzanne… she was probably full of hope and relief that her freedom was within reach. Unfortunately she may have misjudged both men’s character and underestimated Barry’s ego and greed. :(

I think he was scared <modsnip>. Two fold. He was scared for Suzanne but I don’t think he thought BM would kill her and once she disappeared he became more scared for himself. I think once he started to learn she was missing he thought he was next. That’s when he started deleting all his correspondences. Got scared out of his mind. Clammed up and went ghost. He was cowering in a corner scared for his life.

I’d love to admonish him for not coming forward but I think he was petrified of BM especially after learning he disappeared his wife. He knew a whole lot more about the abuse that she faced than we ever will.
I agree with your post. IMO, JL knew right away that something happened to Suzanne. He also had to strongly suspect that her husband murdered her when it was announced that she "disappeared."

He probably was scared to death that Barry knew his identity and he now had a target on his back. The smartest thing for him to do would have been to go to police in a confidential way, explain the situation and get his fears on record just in case something happened to him.

I think that this affair was a diversion for him and most likely for Suzanne. It gave her the strength that she needed to make the break. It also gave her confidence in herself as a person and a woman. She fell in love with a dream of what her future possibilities could be.

I myself think that, once Suzanne was divorced and settled on her own, she would have weaned herself from this affair. I mean, this guy is married with six kids. If she had been given the opportunity, she would have realized that her choices in life were limitless.

Barry knew that he was losing control. Once Suzanne was free, she would not have looked back. Barry couldn't let see that she was strong enough, smart enough and pretty enough to not need him in any way, shape or form. Sort of like O.J. and Nicole.

JMO.

With reference to an affair! Can it really be called an affair? having met 6/7 times in 18 months. Or did they just have an online flirtship and a physical relationship occasionally when the opportunity arose.
If this situation occurred with my wife, my life as I know it would be over. She also has three sisters that could be rotated in and out on a tag team basis. (((shudder))).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa