UK UK - Claudia Lawrence, 35, Chef, York University, 18 March 2009 #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Electric toothbrushes buildup dried toothpaste etc so they need to be cleaned to get all the buildup out. Very possible the toothbrush was cleaned and set to dry before putting back on the charge. Just an idea.

That's very true, they also can get a bit grubby on the underside.

there also looks to be an ash tray by side of sink? And wine glasses indicate she had someone round for a drink. Did police look through her bins I wonder - did they find wine bottle?

RSBM - I wasn't sure if that was a glass but on closer looking now I can see it could be an ashtray. It's a very grainy image.

Just looking at the image of the dishes (not sure if it would be OK to upload it here as it seems to be a google cached image from a post on WS back on thread #10, that's been removed) - it looks like a photo/screenshot from live TV. While it says ITV News in the top corner I'm wondering if it is perhaps taken from a reconstruction rather than the actual scene as found by LE?

First time poster but avidly interested in this case and have read many of these previous threads.

My interest lies in the fact that I'm fairly local to the area and am the same age as Claudia. I didn't know her but have friends/relatives who did slightly, in her younger days. People recall her as being friendly and fun.

I believe whatever happened to her happened very shortly after speaking to her mother, and it happened at home, and her body removed. I believe she received a visitor who she opened the door to, this being someone she knew. He either meant to cause her harm from the off, or it was a crime of passion in the moment. Her body was then removed via the back alley and Nags head car park, possibly with the help of others. The house was staged to make it look as if she'd gone to work the following morning. Their success in covering up I believe was down to luck more than anything else, as I doubt these were professional criminals.

I feel this case has huge similarities with the Joanna Yeates case. She was strangled in her own home by someone she knew - albeit very slightly, and her home did not show signs of any struggle. It was only because her body was found so quickly that the perpetrator was discovered.

If she'd gone out the evening before, after speaking to her mum, there would be some evidence to show that - CCTV / witnesses. Likewise if she'd set off for work as normal the following morning.

I dearly hope the police find something in these searches and that the info that has taken them there is credible. So sad that her father died this year without knowing what happened to her.

I guess the environmental survey was requested near the gravel pits before glampling pods were built or trees were removed.

Last edited:
First time poster but avidly interested in this case and have read many of these previous threads.

My interest lies in the fact that I'm fairly local to the area and am the same age as Claudia. I didn't know her but have friends/relatives who did slightly, in her younger days. People recall her as being friendly and fun.

I believe whatever happened to her happened very shortly after speaking to her mother, and it happened at home, and her body removed. I believe she received a visitor who she opened the door to, this being someone she knew. He either meant to cause her harm from the off, or it was a crime of passion in the moment. Her body was then removed via the back alley and Nags head car park, possibly with the help of others. The house was staged to make it look as if she'd gone to work the following morning. Their success in covering up I believe was down to luck more than anything else, as I doubt these were professional criminals.

I feel this case has huge similarities with the Joanna Yeates case. She was strangled in her own home by someone she knew - albeit very slightly, and her home did not show signs of any struggle. It was only because her body was found so quickly that the perpetrator was discovered.

If she'd gone out the evening before, after speaking to her mum, there would be some evidence to show that - CCTV / witnesses. Likewise if she'd set off for work as normal the following morning.

I dearly hope the police find something in these searches and that the info that has taken them there is credible. So sad that her father died this year without knowing what happened to her.

Can I ask if you have seen the video interview with JK on the Getty images site video ref number 1302464344. This was an interview JK speaking after the sad passing of Peter Lawrence.
In that video she says 'When Claudia left'

In a previous tv Documentry screened by Channel 4 in Nov 2019 about 21 minutes in JK and SC were having a conversation about Claudia.
JK said 'It was nice to get to know the lovely person that she was and is.
SC replied I dont think you should apologise or change when you say was or is because I think it is both isnt it cos we can speak about her in the past tense because we havent seen her for 10 years but she is as wells because far as we know she is still around.

Where the comments made in the tv documentry may have been overlooked by some life events such as a death, a relationship breakdown or a murder where emotions run high has been known to offer a window of opportunity for someone in that highly emotional state to perhaps say something that they have kept secret either by choice, by fear, by loyality that they now feel they want to say.

Was Peters death one of those windows of opportunity
and was 2019 a year that a fear or threat was significantly reduced for a similiar comment to be voiced.. Was someone who who made others fearful jailed that year?

No links avail for for Channel 4 tv programme screened in 2019

Personally I think Claudia left her house on her own accord.

These are just my opinions

@keep-it-real you may be right, that is of course a possibility.

I certainly think it's possible that Peter Lawrence's death could have triggered a window of opportunity like you suggest.

I don't read too much into the comment 'when Claudia left' - it is a euphemistic way of saying 'when something untoward happened to Claudia' ... I'm sure her family and friends have phrased it in various ways over the years. Likewise the slipping between present and past when talking about her. I don't discount that the speaker knows more than she is saying by any means, but that isn't a clear indication either way.

its possible that Peter Lawrences death sparked. something...thats. what makes the not necessarily comment so interesting...or someone may just have an awkward way of saying I dont know..but it doesn't answer the question if he'd been officially told they were thinking of. that area...youd think they'd have a record...or are they thinking he. may have been told by a friend. or heard a. strong rumour

wondering if it could be possible...I wouldn't put it any more strongly than that...that someone. has tipped off the police but they're saying it came out of a. sort. of routine surveillance of the area to protect someone.

of course, there. have been numerous county lines drugs busts and people may have died or been sent to prison...its also possible that the covid scenario brought someone close to death 0r that the reminder of mortality made someone want to clear their conscience.

somebody on one of the previous threads was talking about someone seeing someone throwing. something into a river in east anglia....the person didn't report it till much later. and they said it could have been a body....that. was cleared up two or three. weeks ago...it was a murder and someone has. been charged.

its possible that Peter Lawrences death sparked. something...thats. what makes the not necessarily comment so interesting...or someone may just have an awkward way of saying I dont know..but it doesn't answer the question if he'd been officially told they were thinking of. that area...youd think they'd have a record...or are they thinking he. may have been told by a friend. or heard a. strong rumour

wondering if it could be possible...I wouldn't put it any more strongly than that...that someone. has tipped off the police but they're saying it came out of a. sort. of routine surveillance of the area to protect someone.

Good to see you back posting here @Cortina :)

of course, there. have been numerous county lines drugs busts and people may have died or been sent to prison...its also possible that the covid scenario brought someone close to death 0r that the reminder of mortality made someone want to clear their conscience.

somebody on one of the previous threads was talking about someone seeing someone throwing. something into a river in east anglia....the person didn't report it till much later. and they said it could have been a body....that. was cleared up two or three. weeks ago...it was a murder and someone has. been charged.

@keep-it-real you may be right, that is of course a possibility.

I certainly think it's possible that Peter Lawrence's death could have triggered a window of opportunity like you suggest.

I don't read too much into the comment 'when Claudia left' - it is a euphemistic way of saying 'when something untoward happened to Claudia' ... I'm sure her family and friends have phrased it in various ways over the years. Likewise the slipping between present and past when talking about her. I don't discount that the speaker knows more than she is saying by any means, but that isn't a clear indication either way.
I think it’s more likely the speaker ‘ suspects’ as opposed to ‘know’

somebody on one of the previous threads was talking about someone seeing someone throwing. something into a river in east anglia....the person didn't report it till much later. and they said it could have been a body....that. was cleared up two or three. weeks ago...it was a murder and someone has. been charged.[/QUOTE

My thoughts are it was intelligence picked up through the county lines drug busts and the freeing of people held under forced labour and modern day slavery within those gangs.
Police have been successful this year in their operations to disrupt several nationwide networks making large scale arrests and seizures of drugs, money, weapons and enslaved people.

The coice of Sand Hutton Gravel Pits as a search area is interesting. Wayne Fox does say its one of a number of lines of enquiry they are pursuing in 'connection with the suspected murder of Claudia Lawrence'.
I wouldnt be surprised if they did find evidence of a body not sure it would be Claudias though.
Just my opinions

Like most I would like for the mystery of her disappearance to come to an end.

The bathroom was downstairs and just off of the kitchen, I believe. She could have started brushing in the bathroom but was in a hurry (maybe she went out again that evening or someone turned up at the back door) and just absent mindedly put it in the kitchen as she walked past.

My husband brushes his teeth in the kitchen,drives me mad :rolleyes:

To me that seems like how a right handed person would eat. You keep your fork in your left hand and knife in right. So even when not using a knife you still have the habit of using a left hand for a fork?

I dont think you can draw conclusions re cutlery though,I am right handed but eat left handed,so my fork on my right hand,as do all 4 of my kids and one of my sisters,all but one of us are right handed.

I've always thought it a possibility that she left of her own accord. She strikes me as someone who was lonely, connected only by social interactions. If she had have met someone who was 'undercover' and she had to make a choice between the life she knew and the love she might have been looking for, I can see how she might have run off with someone.

It's only her Dad's endless search that makes me think against that. If she'd have seen that on the TV only once, she would have made contact.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

I'm English and feel I have good manners and mostly good etiquette but it just seems unnatural to me to use a fork in my left hand. I'd be spilling food all over.

I think most of just think that drawing conclusions from a bit of cutlery chucked in a sink on top of some pots is bit daft. It could be laying like that for any number of reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

I think that's an older generation thing. My mum is left handed and in her 70s and she vividly remembers being punished for it and the constant authoritatian need for correction. I am in my 40s and no-one,school or otherwise has ever tried to correct the way I hold my cutlery.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm English and feel I have good manners and mostly good etiquette but it just seems unnatural to me to use a fork in my left hand. I'd be spilling food all over.

I think most of just think that drawing conclusions from a bit of cutlery chucked in a sink on top of some pots is bit daft. It could be laying like that for any number of reasons.

Yep,trying to cut food with my knife in my right hand is an epic disaster :D

I think that's an older generation thing. My mum is left handed and in her 70s and she vividly remembers being punished for it and the constant authoritatian need for correction. I am in my 40s and no-one,school or otherwise has ever tried to correct the way I hold my cutlery.
I'm in my 20s and I lost my dinner at primary school if I didn't eat following British etiquette. And as Claudia grew up with 2 prominent parents in the community, went to a private school and trained as a chef I figured that there might of been a chance she followed etiquette. But clearing I'm wrong and no one ever uses there left hand apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304