WA WA - Julie Weflen, 28, Spokane, 16 Sept 1987

This is crazy, the POI just died in an accident. Maybe some answers will come out now? This case is nuts. No one has wanted to talk because everyone was terrified of this guy. One Detective on this case just up and went underground. I’m hoping with him gone people will do the right thing and tell what they might know. No more death threats to anyone nosing around.

Any articles? MSM?

The #1 suspect is dead. Possibly he can now be identified; what are the rules here? Most people following this case know who this guy is. He owned a business that was only a few miles from from where Julie vanished. That hardly makes him a suspect. Apparently he was uncooperative when contacted by Law Enforcement. That is not necessarily incriminating but it is a good way to set yourself up as a suspect. From I found out about him, he seems to be a Right Wing pro-gun, anti-government type that hates law enforcement and feels absolutely no sense of civic responsibility. That does not make him a killer.

I was born and raised in Spokane. By 1987 I had graduated and moved away. But I’ve just moved back to Spokane. I had not heard of this case before. I’d love to assist in any way with efforts already underway.

Unfound just did a podcast on Julie and the poi who recently died. Check it out! It sounds like now that the guy is dead, there may be searches for Julie and another woman he’s suspected of murdering, although details weren’t discussed. Apparently his wife still owns the property so time will tell if anything comes of it. There is circumstantial evidence that he was an a acquaintance of Julie and was bothering her. Many people were frightened of this man, so perhaps more information will come out now that he’s gone.

Unfound just did a podcast on Julie and the poi who recently died. Check it out! It sounds like now that the guy is dead, there may be searches for Julie and another woman he’s suspected of murdering, although details weren’t discussed. Apparently his wife still owns the property so time will tell if anything comes of it. There is circumstantial evidence that he was an a acquaintance of Julie and was bothering her. Many people were frightened of this man, so perhaps more information will come out now that he’s gone.
Where can I find the pod cast?

Amateur sleuth says 25-year-old case of missing BPA worker Julie Weflen 'can be solved'

Updated Jan 10, 2019; Posted Apr 22, 2012

Snipped

Locker never searched

...investigation languished, but it was jump-started recently when retired BPA engineer John Polos of Vancouver organized a group of retired Bonneville employees and started again. ...the lack of a break in the police investigation nagged at him.

...police had never searched Weflen's locker at Spokane's G.H. Bell Substation. ...BPA workers had emptied the locker and stored her belongings in a padlocked bin. ...detectives collected the contents.

Snipped

To BPA, Polos' discovery brought Weflen's disappearance front and center once again. The federal agency last month offered a $25,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of her abductor.

Much more at link...

Any articles? MSM?
I worked on this case pretty heavily for a year or so. Cold case knows nothing in Spokane, not even if there was DNA retrieved from the glasses found at the scene. The POI is dead, the new management of the business is out, the business is closed and the property is owned by the widow. How does one go about contacting the widow?

Is there a DOD for this man? I'm not having luck finding mention of him. Also, I remember on Doe or Charley there had been a picture of her vehicle as it was found at the site. Does anyone else recall seeing it?

I've always thought the one vehicle that would not look suspicious to either Julie coming out of the substation, or a passerby on the road, would be another BPA one. And with signs of a struggle I'd think LE would have checked for even partial shoe impressions. BPA may have provided standard issue or a certain required brand of boot. Ditto for tire treads, likely the same tread on a fleet. Although, this all may have been more hapdash then, especially is BPA was a smaller outfit. I'm not familiar with the area, is this a road that's heavily traveled? It looks rural, so if a vehicle only goes by every once in awhile there's more opportunity for anyone to have done this. And if the abduction was by a local, he would know that. I also agree with previous posters that someone knew she was alone, either ahead of time with prior knowledge of where'd she be; or someone who felt comfortable being in the area to check. Assuming it's accurate that she was there over an hour, someone passing by and saw her (or for whatever reason knew her particular vehicle if BPA employees used the same one for each call) could then circle back.

It's been said her male coworkers respected/accepted her, and I'm sure that's true. But possibly not every last one. And coupled with potential resentment towards her multiple promotions, and carelessness (intentional or otherwise) letting her locker go unsearched, I'd still consider all possibilties.

The substation where the abduction occurred is in a rural area outside of Spokane. There has been some developed in the last 34 years. At the time, there wasn’t much there and there wouldn’t be a good reason for that many people to be driving out there. Apparently Law Enforcement made an effort to contact everyone who lived, worked or otherwise had business out there. From what I can tell, the “Prime Suspect “ was contacted and was not co-operative but otherwise there wasn’t real evidence him.

Co-workers would have known she would be there but SOP would have been to check the whereabouts of every co-worker at the probable time of the abduction. I can’t see how anyone else would know she would be there except by chance encounter.

I have never been to the site but most rural substations have some sort of fencing that would prevent someone driving by from knowing the sex of someone doing work there. Someone may have seen her pull in and waited around for her to leave. Someone seeing her prepare to leave would have had to act fast.

My own wild-*advertiser censored* guess would be that someone saw her driving in town or some developed area and figured since she was alone, she might be on her way to a job at a place that she would vulnerable. If this is what happened, the location of the substation isn’t much of a clue. This tactic is consistent with the Sally Ann Stone and Deborah Swanson case. They were both across the state line in Idaho. I wonder how much exchange of information took place at the time.

Agreed on checking co-workers, assuming SOP wasn't accidently(?) overlooked, much like her locker...

The substation itself is indeed chainlinked, but not the parking area which is in the photo of her vehicle that I can no longer find (47.745351, -117.582526) I'd think even with a hardhat, one could discern a 5'2" 100lb body as a woman but perhaps not. It'd be especially obvious if she was outside the fence and near her vehicle, was holding her hat having not yet put it on, or was wearing a ponytail, and defintely if all 3 were the case.

In terms of info exchange (at least formal), I wouldn't be surprised if it was close to jack squat considering it was A) 1987 and B) at a time when there were enough jurisdictional issues between just towns/cities/counties let alone states.

At least her case continues to be seen.

I know the man's name and address etc but I too cannot find anything on his DOD. I used to live about a mile from the substation and it's very open and it's just like a little dirt parking lot you could see that someone's working there and honestly my opinion I feel like it would be quite easy to notice that the person was male or female I mean the road is right up next to it so also the suspect and would have had to have driven past the substation to get to his home coming from town or coming from farther west which also can lead to like out by the Air Force Base so that road is pretty well traveled now back then I would think maybe a couple cars an hour mostly residents if anybody wants to know anything more about the location or whatnot I live here in town and lived in the area for many years.

Ann Rule devoted a chapter to Julie’s disappearance in her book "Kiss me, kill me". I have often thought about the tragic fate of this beautiful young woman: we must find her and identify the culprit.
Justice for Julie Weflen .

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd