Found Deceased WA - Rachel Lakoduk, 28, hiker, Marblemount, North Cascades, 17 Oct 2019

Missing Moses Lake woman finally found nearly two years after her vanishing into western WA wilderness

MOSES LAKE - After nearly two years of wondering and waiting, family and friends of a missing Moses lake woman who disappeared into the western Washington wilderness can start to piece together the puzzle that might help explain why Rachel Lakoduk didn’t make it out of the woods alive in October of 2019.

Emily Sawyer of Moses Lake, the woman who has been leading the charge to find Rachel since she disappeared, announced the news that Rachel was found on social media on Sunday night.

Rachel’s remains were found in the Hidden Lake area which is about 14 miles east of Marblemount in Skagit County.

Sawyer says crews are working to transport Rachel's remains from the area where she was found and take them "home."

Emily Sawyer of Moses Lake spoke to iFIBER ONE News on Sunday night. Sawyer says Lakoduk was found in her sleeping bag. Sawyer says Lakoduk's final resting place was far off trail on a 50-degree slope in a depression under a fallen tree.

Sawyer indicated that Rachel likely used the depression to seek refuge from the elements; it is not believe that Rachel was killed by the tree, but used it to shield herself from the snow.

Sawyer says search parties were able to identify Rachel's remains based on her clothing and equipment as well as her red hair. Sawyer says some of Lakoduk's remains were scattered.
More revealed about discovery of missing Moses Lake woman who never came home from hike in 2019

I am so impressed with the people who continued the search and amazed that they found her. I hope it brings some kind of comfort to her family

I’m relieved she was found. Rachel had to be so scared when the weather turned. Bud knows those mountains and has been searching for her since she went missing. He was close a few times and that always hurts. IMO

I’m relieved she was found. Rachel had to be so scared when the weather turned. Bud knows those mountains and has been searching for her since she went missing. He was close a few times and that always hurts. IMO
It sounds like she was well hidden

My condolences to Rachel's loved ones. She seems like a beautiful soul.

I am astonished that Samantha Sayers' boyfriend found Rachel.

Isn't it crazy? There has been lots of unkind speculation about Kevin Dares, but he's really leaned in to helping find lost people.

Bud Carr creates lots of controversy, but he certainly did a good thing here.

There is an interview with Bud Carr on the Lost In The Woods Podcast regarding the recovery of Racheal Lakoduk.

I understand people's ambivalence toward Carr, but the bottom line is that Brad Tripp at least knows that his little girl isn't locked in somebody's basement.

It's such a shame she died out hiking. My wife and I used to run hiking groups in Portland, and "experienced hiker" often doesn't mean folks make the best decisions or know what to do when things go awry.

And so, 667 days after a 28-year-old Moses Lake woman vanished into these hills and 657 days after the Skagit County Search and Rescue team suspended their search, a ragged group of volunteers pauses to take a breather. It’s Aug. 14.

Among them is a former Marine, who days after Rachel Lakoduk went missing on Oct. 17, 2019, spent an entire night searching for her.

Beside him sits a county search and rescue volunteer who goes “rogue” occasionally, spending time outside the bounds of the county system, trying to bring closure to a family left wondering what happened to their daughter. There is a woman from Spokane who met Lakoduk’s husband in community college and felt compelled to help.

And then there is Carlton “Bud” Carr Jr., the man who brought them together.

Lean as a whip. Covered in tattoos. Mohawked. An accomplished smoker, American Spirits blue. A man that dresses in military camo but, being a felon, can’t legally own a gun. A carpenter by trade, who converted to Buddhism while in a Missouri prison, Carr spends months in the woods looking for missing people as a way of repaying his karmic debt to society.

Dares is 500 feet up the hill, obscured by the thick vegetation. He continued up despite the plan to meet. Why? No one exactly knows. But for Dares these searches are painful. His girlfriend, Samantha Sayers, also disappeared while hiking. Three years, and thousands of hours and dollars later, she remains missing.

So forgive Kevin for being a bit anti-social sometimes. We’ll come up to you, the rogue search and rescue employee says. Kevin agrees to wait.
How the body of a hiker who disappeared two years ago was found in the North Cascades

Despite those challenges, when Samantha Sayers went missing in 2018, county and state agencies spent 22 days searching for her. The longest search in state history turned up nothing.

“If your loved one is missing the odds are low that public sector law enforcement is going to find them,” said David Francis, the founder of the Jon Francis Foundation named in honor of his son who went missing in the Idaho Sawtooths in 2006. “It’s a sad, broken system in the United States. And it’s unfair. It’s unfair to our citizens.”
Recovery of Moses Lake hiker raises questions about searches | HeraldNet.com

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back