UK UK - Claudia Lawrence, 35, Chef, York University, 18 March 2009 #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recall reading that Halliwell took police to a pond where they found lots of Womens clothing submersed.
It transpired that very few articles found were matched to any missing persons and only one or two items were those of someone it was proven he killed. Most likely garments left in his taxi or from a washing line.

It would be so easy to put him in the frame for CL but in doing so the case would then be closed and the true culprit would remain free.

If he was responsible, NYP would be moving heaven and earth to nail him. They appear to be convinced that the is not and could not be involved.

Good link - the pics are good - though what was it like in 2009? Was it accessible and as clean as recent pics or overgrown?
The Media article shows two shots, the first one paved as of most recent times. The second where a police team were hand searching the alley not long after DI Malyn was appointed.
Google earth for 2009 shows more of an overgrown state.

Not seeing anything new re the search so far today. Google maps seems to think the road is open again, but one.network is showing a number of road closures around Sand Hutton:

one.network

I'm not sure. If you compare the alleyway pix, they show both, though it could be down to the time of year.
I chatted to a detective who worked on the case and he said it was very overgrown - and because of that statement it kind of puts a spanner in the works of thinking about accessibility at the rear - also if you look at pics taken at the back of Claudias and the property owned by the Ruanes on Heworth place - the wall has fallen down at the back - I can’t imagine people stepping over rubble?

Not seeing anything new re the search so far today. Google maps seems to think the road is open again, but one.network is showing a number of road closures around Sand Hutton:

one.network
Looks like they have closed any roads (Other than A64) that would allow anyone to get close and walk.
For me this just confirms how important this search is to the investigation.
Also, did police announce that it was in connection with Claudia to take the heat off them as they could have declined to connect to a case.

Police would not want to go open to communication a search naming CL and come up with Zip. Too embarrassing for them. IMO.

Murder Victim's Boots Discovered In Pond
Sian's boot was found and also a shotgun. Hardly someone's washing line.
Not Sand Hutton

If I remember correctly she owned an LG mobile phone can anyone remember what the police found when looking at her mobile signal.. Im particularly interested if a similar pattern of her going missing and the phone signal ending was similar to that of Claudias.

If I remember correctly she owned an LG mobile phone can anyone remember what the police found when looking at her mobile signal.. Im particularly interested if a similar pattern of her going missing and the phone signal ending was similar to that of Claudias.
Police ‘on brink' of finding Sian O’Callaghan after tracking her mobile phone

Sian's phone was an LG but ran out of battery. I really don't think it is CH, it does not look like he was sophisticated enough to worry about mobiles?

one.network
They had scheduled roadworks around there, that were postponed and the cones put aside during the investigation. They are resurfacing some of the edges of the roads in that area.

I seem to recall that another poster said that CH was in hospital. Did we ever have a source to support that?

I remember reading that here too but I have just had a quick Google and can't find any articles with this information in them. All that seems to come up right now are articles trying to connect him to Claudia's disappearance.

I remember reading that here too but I have just had a quick Google and can't find any articles with this information in them. All that seems to come up right now are articles trying to connect him to Claudia's disappearance.
Thanks. I will have a look later. I am sure there is a police statement from a few years ago to the effect that they had excluded CH from the CL investigation.

Edited to add link
Christopher Halliwell may be linked to Claudia Lawrence case, detective claims
Following Mr Fulcher's claims in the Sunday Express, a spokesman for the force said: "The investigation team is aware of this matter and they will carefully assess the information in line with the on-going review of the Claudia Lawrence case.

"However, to be clear, the team is not aware of any evidence that would link this individual [Halliwell] to the disappearance and suspected murder of Claudia."

Last edited:
I hope the police still have in their possession cctv and other footage looking at vehicles that where around the search area from 12 years ago ie 18/19 /20 2009
But having said this , I hope the anonymous tipsters do come back with more info just like the police have asked them to a few days ago !
Come on do the right thing and have some compassion… the family want Claudia.

so....it was an anonymous tip off rather. than something spotted following a survey.......or an anonymous tip off following a survey

maybe they did tell the police more....eg, if you go here or there you'll find a backpack or her backpack...maybe they've found it and it either is or isn't Claudias and they've. not passed this on....maybe they dont know an exact location for either a body or possessions...or maybe its a wind up
Surly the police would not go to such an expense if there was a possibility of a wind up ?
One other possibility you’ve missed is that someone knows or suspect of some other historical wrong doing and thought they’d get a better response in searching an area if they used CL name ?

yes, thats a good point I hadn't thought of....using Claudias name.....though, as you say, the police must have good reason to search...even if it turns out to be fruitless...theyve had enough suggestions over the years

As regards CH there was a poster on here adamant that he was in hospital having a minor operation covering the whole of the 18/19th to rule him out of being involved with CL. However to the best of my knowledge this has never been substantiated- indeed given that claudias mum keeps asking in the press for NYP to investigate him if NYP knew it couldnt have been him i would of thought perhaps even if deemed inappropriate to declare to the media they would have had a gentle word with her to advise her he has been looked at and ruled out as impossible.

As others have said however whilst easy for national papers to link him it is a tenuous link and no more remembering statistically the vast majority of women murdered 'knew' the assailant/s

Ultimately and realistically after over 12 years if claudia was murdered there are three realistic hopes we can have....her remains are found so that she can be laid to rest dignified and in peace at last...perhaps some form of monument tribute or tree etc placed in her home town of malton....secondly those responsible face justice.....and thirdly that the truth comes out one day about what happened....we would all like to know but more importantly than us her family deserve to know and have closure as best as it can be (in my opinion)

X

The person in Buttercambe woods could be setting traps for badgers, which is illegal

Evidence was painstakingly gathered in an attempt to bring Halliwell to trial for the murder of Miss Godden. A forensic soil scientist found there was "strong scientific support" that soil from a fork and pickaxe connected with the murder came from Halliwell's garden.

Other reports mention it was a spade.

Could these items be or have been tested for a possible soil match to the search site at sand hutton gravel pits

How Becky Godden's murderer was caught, lost, and caught again

First time poster here, been reading this thread with interest. Every so often I start reading about cases of missing people who just 'disappeared' and the recent news about the CL case bought me here.

One thing I had been thinking about that I thought I might throw into the mix is there is often talk of the couple on the morning of the 19th - first the woman talking to the left handed smoker, and then the two having an argument on the grass near the uni, with a car next to them with the door open.

I know it's not known if these are the same man and woman, and it's often thought it could have been CL in both cases, which it of course could have been - but I think there's a possibility the woman and man could be the abductors/murderers - and what if Claudia's body was in that open-doored car whilst they were arguing? Was a car seen near the woman and left handed smoker? Pretty sure tensions would have been running extremely high if they had just killed someone and either had the body in the car or just disposed of it, hence the arguing.

Just a thought I had, not sure if it's crossed the minds of others before?

First time poster here, been reading this thread with interest. Every so often I start reading about cases of missing people who just 'disappeared' and the recent news about the CL case bought me here.

One thing I had been thinking about that I thought I might throw into the mix is there is often talk of the couple on the morning of the 19th - first the woman talking to the left handed smoker, and then the two having an argument on the grass near the uni, with a car next to them with the door open.

I know it's not known if these are the same man and woman, and it's often thought it could have been CL in both cases, which it of course could have been - but I think there's a possibility the woman and man could be the abductors/murderers - and what if Claudia's body was in that open-doored car whilst they were arguing? Was a car seen near the woman and left handed smoker? Pretty sure tensions would have been running extremely high if they had just killed someone and either had the body in the car or just disposed of it, hence the arguing.

Just a thought I had, not sure if it's crossed the minds of others before?
The wife of the killer might have suspicions but I feel only him knows exactly what happened and where .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998