Found Safe AR - Theresa Beshara-Cox, Ozark Hawksbill Crag hiker, Newton Co, 30 Aug 2021

imstilla.grandma

Believer of Miracles
Reaction score
The Newton County Sheriff’s Office, working with the National Park Service, U.S. Forest Service, Harrison Fire Department, Mennonite Disaster Service, and other volunteers is coordinating the search and rescue effort for a missing woman in the Hawksbill Craig area in the Ozark National Forest.
upload_2021-8-31_19-13-33.jpeg
Theresa Beshara-Cox disappeared Monday morning while hiking Hawksbill Crag around 5:30 a.m. She was reported as overdue Monday afternoon. Search efforts began Monday evening and are ongoing. The terrain is steep and rugged.

If you have any information pertaining to these efforts, please contact the Newton County Sheriff’s Office at 870-446-5124. To ensure the safety of all search and rescue personnel, volunteers are asked to contact the Sheriff’s Office before responding. They can be contacted at 870-446-5124.
Rescue teams searching for missing hiker along Buffalo National River

Isn't she cute?! She looks fun-loving. This is scary. I've seen hiking cases here on WS and in MSM locally which have bad endings, and I have vowed never to hike or go on a run alone. It would probably be soothing and special to take a hike by oneself, but I don't ever plan to do it. IMO, it can be dangerous either from a possible accidental incident or from an attack. Yes, wimp that I yam.
I Google-mapped this area and it's beautiful, but it does look like a hiker would really need a good hiking map to take a hike, especially if alone. JMO
Would an I-Phone, etc., work in these areas?

Isn't she cute?! She looks fun-loving. This is scary. I've seen hiking cases here on WS and in MSM locally which have bad endings, and I have vowed never to hike or go on a run alone. It would probably be soothing and special to take a hike by oneself, but I don't ever plan to do it. IMO, it can be dangerous either from a possible accidental incident or from an attack. Yes, wimp that I yam.I don't know anyone who would attempt that hike while it's dark. I never got any reception except occasionally at the parking lot.
I Google-mapped this area and it's beautiful, but it does look like a hiker would really need a good hiking map to take a hike, especially if alone. JMO
Would an I-Phone, etc., work in these areas?

I don't know anyone who would hike to Hawksbill Crag while it's dark. It's not really that hard but is steep in spots and has dropoffs, etc. No cell service except in the parking lot sometimes.

I don't know anyone who would hike to Hawksbill Crag while it's dark. It's not really that hard but is steep in spots and has dropoffs, etc. No cell service except in the parking lot sometimes.

Thanks for the info, RazTaz -- darkness, yes, it's been dark now for a while. Has she got food and water? I didn't think a cell phone would work. I don't know how much or if Hurricane Ida has affected the area -- probably not too much, due to the Park's location, but maybe some winds and rain. Hoping she is safe and sound.

Maybe she was planning on actually starting at dawn. I'm just south of there and imo by 6am it's plenty light out even in a wooded area.

Theresa is safe!:)

Missing woman flagged down passing driver

Theresa Beshara-Cox, 59, of the Pruitt area
CONTRIBUTED PHOTO
Posted Wednesday, September 1, 2021 2:29 pm
Staff Report news@harrisondaily.com
NEWTON COUNTY — Newton County Sheriff Glenn Wheeler said late Wednesday morning that a woman reported missing Monday in the Hawksbill Crag area was found alive and well.

According to a press release, Theresa Beshara-Cox, 59, of the Pruitt area identified that she would be hiking at Hawksbill Crag starting at 5:30 a.m. Monday, Aug. 30, and was reported as overdue that afternoon.

The Newton County Sheriff’s Office, working with the National Park Service, U.S. Forest Service, Harrison Fire Department, Mennonite Disaster Service, and other volunteers began searching for her at that time.

Wheeler explained that Beshara-Cox started hiking, but it wasn’t daylight yet and she went the wrong direction. Before long, she realized that she was lost in an area she identified as Bowers Hollow and found shelter under a bluff. Wheeler said that was outside the primary search area and the opposite direction from Hawksbill Crag.

She spent two nights there, but was starting to feel weak Wednesday morning. She told the sheriff she feared that if she weren’t found Wednesday someone would likely only find her remains.

Telephone Interview with Newton County sheriff on KY3

Rescuers locate hiker missing for 2 days near Hawksbill Crag in Newton County, Ark.

Last edited:
Theresa is safe!:)

Theresa Beshara-Cox, 59, of the Pruitt area
CONTRIBUTED PHOTO
Posted Wednesday, September 1, 2021 2:29 pm
Staff Report news@harrisondaily.com
NEWTON COUNTY — Newton County Sheriff Glenn Wheeler said late Wednesday morning that a woman reported missing Monday in the Hawksbill Crag area was found alive and well.

According to a press release, Theresa Beshara-Cox, 59, of the Pruitt area identified that she would be hiking at Hawksbill Crag starting at 5:30 a.m. Monday, Aug. 30, and was reported as overdue that afternoon.

The Newton County Sheriff’s Office, working with the National Park Service, U.S. Forest Service, Harrison Fire Department, Mennonite Disaster Service, and other volunteers began searching for her at that time.

Wheeler explained that Beshara-Cox started hiking, but it wasn’t daylight yet and she went the wrong direction. Before long, she realized that she was lost in an area she identified as Bowers Hollow and found shelter under a bluff. Wheeler said that was outside the primary search area and the opposite direction from Hawksbill Crag.

She spent two nights there, but was starting to feel weak Wednesday morning. She told the sheriff she feared that if she weren’t found Wednesday someone would likely only find her remains.

Telephone Interview with Newton County sheriff on KY3

Rescuers locate hiker missing for 2 days near Hawksbill Crag in Newton County, Ark.
Awesome news!! Whew...what a close call. I'm so glad she made it to safety. :)

TYVM for the update.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back