CA - Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung, daughter, 1 & dog, suspicious death hiking area, Aug 2021 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
They might have turned around immediately before the spot they were found. That still wouldn't be great, but....
My scenario was the dog was off leash, as evidently he normally was. And the heat was making him run off to try and find a more comfortable place (my dog did this once when we were in a burn area). Momma goes looking for him and lags behind. He's her dog. Dad and baby keep going a bit or just stop right there. He puts baby down beside him ('cos no one wants to have that much weight on their back) and then sits down to wait while Momma catches up. Right in the trail is as good a spot as any. He's facing uphill, because Momma was trying to locate the dog uphill from where Dad and baby were. They just wait. In the meantime, the dog shows up. Dad leashes the dog, so no more running off. They continue to wait for Momma. In the meantime, something has happened to Mom just uphill from where they are. But they still wait. Until it's too late for all of them.

This means, the family didn't go nearly as far as people are thinking. They were doing a short out and back. Not all the way to the river. Not the loop.

The switchbacks present a question mark in this scenario—and maybe every scenario. If you're on a switchback, because of the way it zigs back on itself, you should be able to see someone a bit more up the trail than if the trail was straight. This would be even more true if you look down. So, what role did this play in the layout of the victims?
Good theory. Not thought of it like that before. Thanks JMO

It SEEMS to me that if the dog was unleashed, he would have run off seeking water or shade. If leashed he just had to die with the family.
Yeah. The speculation that he was leashed comes from a poorly written sentence in an article - it isn’t clear whether they were writing about the dog or baby and meant to say “but *not* attached to him” to refer to the baby, as another article said. Seems clear the baby was still in her carrier and not attached. Dog, we don’t know.

I dunno, tagging numerous posts "#jellon adventures" seems more relevant to the hike than donuts, but, ymmv.
It was the donut speculation earlier on in this thread that was going off at such a tangent, it was crazy. It had no bearing on Jon and Ellen's deaths at all, and I was glad someone else thought it was wryly amusing....

Kristie Mitchell, Public Information Officer with the Mariposa County Sheriff’s Office told Inside Edition Digital:

“We are basically onto two weeks and everyone wants answers, but we are being as methodical as possible. We are doing a massive amount of toxicology testing. We can’t speculate on what we think at this point because we don’t have all the facts.”

“Part of the hike the family had gone on goes along the Southfork of the Merced River. They had access to water but, unfortunately, we don’t know if they went into the water with their dog for a swim, or may have ingested the water or were exposed
to any toxins in the area. Temperatures that day were well over 100 degrees. We are hoping the toxicology reports will provide us with the information we need.

What we can confirm is that when the family was found at Savage Lundy Trail there were no chemical hazards at the site.”

As of Thursday, Mitchell said the family's cause of death remains in question.

“There were no obvious signs of death during the initial autopsy and the pathologist is not ready to release any information yet without the toxicology report.”

As of Thursday afternoon, Officials are still waiting on toxicology reports.
Trails and Campgrounds Close Near Yosemite Where Family and Dog Died

And the Darrah Park is apparently pretty much around the corner from their home...That would have been a more appropriate place for a walk on that horribly hot (and apparently also humid) day, IMO....
What is your source for your understanding that it was apparently humid that day? According to readings at the El Portal weather station on August 15, the relative humidity was under 20% all afternoon. It looks like it wasn't humid that day--which is typical for that area this time of year.

<mod note - scroll to the bottom of the linked page for the data for that day Aug. 15>

Last edited by a moderator:
It was the donut speculation earlier on in this thread that was going off at such a tangent, it was crazy. It had no bearing on Jon and Ellen's deaths at all, and I was glad someone else thought it was wryly amusing....
I did not see the donut speculation, just the mod post, which was funny.

#Adventures were important to them, wish they were around to go on a few more...

I did not see the donut speculation, just the mod post, which was funny.

#Adventures were important to them, wish they were around to go on a few more...

Same here. I actually love #Jellonadventures. My husband and I are both diehard travelers. I really get that shared love of adventure. At least they had that. Beautiful.

I think it's heat stroke. I lived in the central valley in California for a number of years - I had moved from Orange Country in California, where is the temperature is much more mild in the summers.

I agree with the other person who said that their travels (to the Mojave dessert, Burning Man) gave them a false sense of security in the heat.

When temps got up to 104 F in the summertime, I wouldn't want to be out in the middle of the day for more than 5 minutes! It's oppressive and the heat completely drains a person's energy.

Even though they were "experienced hikers" I think they didn't realize their limitations in the heat - it my understanding no one else was out there (on that particular hike) that weekend. RIP, they looked like a lovely family.

What is your source for your understanding that it was apparently humid that day?
I read that early on in this thread. Someone (presumably a local) remarked that the day in question was unusually humid for the area, quite apart from the extreme heat and bad air quality from the raging fires elsewhere in the region...

Even though they were "experienced hikers" I think they didn't realize their limitations in the heat - it my understanding no one else was out there (on that particular hike) that weekend. RIP, they looked like a lovely family.

Of course this is very subjective. They may have EXPERIENCED many hikes. However, this term is often used to reflect a level of *expertise* which assumes a level of skill and knowledge above and beyond the occasional hiker. So we really don't know what level of skill and knowledge they really had. I posted this earlier and it addresses this topic very well.
A Guide To Hiking Skill Levels - What Type Of Hiker Are You? | The Simple Hiker
I would confer the *experienced* moniker at a MINIMUM level 3, with higher levels obviously enhancing skill and knowledge to greater degrees.

"Moderate: This type of person hikes on a more regular basis. This type of person may also partake in more frequent types of exercise in other aspects of their life. Hikes can last for half a day and have elevation gains of a few thousand feet. A moderate hiker will be able to hike at a faster pace and be able to handle longer inclines without feeling exhausted. At this stage, a moderate hiker has also started venturing out into hikes with different weather conditions that require more planning.
Question remains if they qualified at this level.
All this is MOO.

Last edited:
Here is a video of a hiker doing the Hite Cove trail:

Two things I noticed: Parts of the trail are over sharp rock edges. Were the two adults wearing proper hiking boots, or just some lesser thin-soled footwear that could have resulted in painful feet, and thus a much slower pace?

The other thing is that a bee or wasp hive looked to be in the hollow of a tree by the trail. Could the family have been attacked by a swarm of agitated bees or wasps (happened to me one time on a trail)? If the bodies were bloated/discolored at autopsy, the medical examiner could have missed the sting marks. If one or more were allergic to their venom, this could have been very serious very quickly.

Last edited:
What is your source for your understanding that it was apparently humid that day? According to readings at the El Portal weather station on August 15, the relative humidity was under 20% all afternoon. It looks like it wasn't humid that day--which is typical for that area this time of year.

<mod note - scroll to the bottom of the linked page for the data for that day Aug. 15>

Just a note that the above post was edited by a mod to reinstate the link that @bpeterson912 provided. It has been mistakenly modsnipped out. Scroll to the bottom of the linked page for the data.
Sorry for the confusion.

"Moderate: This type of person hikes on a more regular basis. This type of person may also partake in more frequent types of exercise in other aspects of their life. Hikes can last for half a day and have elevation gains of a few thousand feet. A moderate hiker will be able to hike at a faster pace and be able to handle longer inclines without feeling exhausted. At this stage, a moderate hiker has also started venturing out into hikes with different weather conditions that require more planning.
I would not regard this level as "experienced" in hiking, but rather, a moderate level of athletic fitness.

"Experienced", in my book, involves a whole long menu list of skills and history, including the following. I've labeled with B those skills that a beginner should work at acquiring. M would be expected of a "moderate" hiker. A=Advanced
Note: a lot of these skills are about attitude. Being in awe of nature, respecting others, making sure you don't create a catastrophe that might endanger someone else (e.g. SAR)
-keeping in mind you could be seriously compromised even 1/4 mile up the trail (it happens all the time, and woe betide you aren't prepared) (B)
-significant trail miles with "old timers" who know the ropes; you learn mistakes and protocols from them; you learn what might possibly happen, versus what your limited knowledge projects might happen. Note: "old timers" doesn't mean twenty-somethings. Try 40+; go with your local hiking club, national club, meetup, an organized group with a leader, so you learn whys and wherefores (this does NOT mean a guide on Kilimanjaro) from the leader and other hikers (B)
-knowing, carrying, and using the "10 essentials" (B)
-wearing a pack that has supplies and spare items (e.g. extra socks and raingear) that are appropriate for most hikes so you can address unanticipated changes in conditions
-the demonstrated ability—in the field—to use paper map and manual compass. (M)
-knowing how to filter water (you can practice in the sink at home) (M)
-knowing one's limits, in terms of mileage and time; managing your time, so you are back at the trailhead before dark (B)
-observing Ranger notices and following through (these are frequently safety-oriented, but may be fire banning, or limit to party size, etc.) (B)
-having appropriate gear, especially hiking boots with lugged soles (some National Parks even require these to go on Ranger hikes), and understanding why they are needed (B)
-carrying enough food for the trip, plus an extra sandwich or energy bar; this acknowledges conditions might keep you later than planned (B)
-planning your water supply (B)
-getting the forecast and integrating it into your plan (B)
-observing "leave no trace" practices TO THE LETTER; to get this right, you have to understand and abide by (from every ounce of your being) the notion that everyone and everything deserves a pristine trail. "Experienced" folks will often carry out other people's trash, even if it's micro-trash, just because the trail and its surroundings are for everyone, creatures and people. This takes commitment and selflessness. (B)
-the Red Cross certificate in wilderness first aid is a good idea (I used mine the first hike after I got it). (A)
-and yes, to be "experienced" you would have had to manage some obstacles or "surprises" in your history (M)
-above all, having respect for nature; hubris is the very opposite of "experience". (B)

-I almost forgot. How to poop in the wilderness is an art and a skill. It keeps everyone and everything as safe as possible, nature unmarred by your presence. How to pee, an art and a skill for women. Especially without taking your pack off. (B, M, A!)

It takes miles of hiking in steep, less steep, rugged, and basic, to get this kind of experience, but just because you walked a bunch of miles doesn't make you "experienced". That's merely "fit".

IME most backcountry folks who are "experienced" (as in, VERY advanced) don't actually refer to themselves that way. This is why I rarely go along with a friend or relative labeling a missing hiker "experienced".

Last edited:

Two things I noticed: Parts of the trail are over sharp rock edges. Were the two adults wearing proper hiking boots, or just some lesser thin-soled footwear that could have resulted in painful feet, and thus a much swer pace?

The other thing is that a bee or wasp hive looked to be in the hollow of a tree by the trail. Could the family have been attacked by a swarm of agitated bees or wasps (happened to me one time on a trail)? If the bodies were bloated/discolored at autopsy, the medical examiner could have missed the sting marks. If one or more were allergic to their venom, this could have been very serious very quickly.
It looks like a large portion of that hike follows the South Fork Merced River North . If the family took the proposed loop, they would have taken the other direction along the river to the Savage Lundy Trail. MOO
Hites Cove Trail, CA – Natural Atlas

AllTrails reviews on Hite Cove Road:

1. We hiked this trail Memorial weekend 2019. A few wild flowers still out but mostly are gone. The first mile is paved/gravel road through Hite's Cove, a community of summer/rental cabins. The rest of the trail is maintained fire road. We went straight past the forest service gate onto Savage Lundy trail instead of turning right when Hite's Cove trail turns right and downhill. Savage Lundy trail drops into the Canyon below, as does Hite's Cove trail.

2. Important for hikers to know that depicted hike is from Jerseydale (intersection) to gate at end of dirt road. The depicted route does NOT include the descent to the river. Highly suggest driving up about a mile, park, and start hike. Going down was 7.6 miles round trip and 2900feet elevation gain. Met at river at Nutmeg Gulch. Awesome swimming hole!!! Bring water as the hike back up is almost 3 miles and steep. https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/california/hite-cove-road

Two things I noticed: Parts of the trail are over sharp rock edges. Were the two adults wearing proper hiking boots, or just some lesser thin-soled footwear that could have resulted in painful feet, and thus a much slower pace?

Great find. There's actually more than one video there.
Totally the wrong trail to be on in summer. Not at all a trail for beginners. Catastrophic for an unleashed dog (they'd head straight down one of those steeps to the river).

This is an important correction to the initial info that came out about them. For some reason, it was reported that they'd moved from SF to Mariposa roughly a year ago or year-and-a-half ago.

They could've just been frequent visitors to the area for vacations. Or, perhaps, it was their second home and then they decided to permanently move to mariposa fulltime in 2020...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd