Found Deceased IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope not either. It may very well be someone who is not local, or missing locally. A search team did find them though, wondering what lead them down there, or if it was just an obvious place to check?

Google Maps driving directions (fastest time) actually utilizes Route 251. It uses I-39 most of the way but then directs me to Route 251 > Route 6 > Pulaski St > 12th St. Is that a route a local would take? It does appear to be a quicker route to that spot than taking I-39 all the way.

The Peru Police Department asked the community to look at security cameras from Tuesday, Aug. 24 from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. and from Wednesday, Aug. 25 from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. for a Black man walking along Airport/Chartres Streets and/or a white Chrysler 300 with a black roof.

Peru Police continue to ask for public’s help locating missing ISU student Jelani Day | CIProud.com

I'm curious why they specified 7-7 on those days. Is it just because after those times it's dark and would be hard to see anything?

There may have been a tip about a man walking during daylight hours along that road but the person couldn’t remember which day.

Google Maps driving directions (fastest time) actually utilizes Route 251. It uses I-39 most of the way but then directs me to Route 251 > Route 6 > Pulaski St > 12th St. Is that a route a local would take? It does appear to be a quicker route to that spot than taking I-39 all the way.

Yes, it's the popular route. 251 also runs all the way to Bloomington (might turn into 51 once you get closer) ...it also runs along interstate 39 most of the way. When we go down there, we take 251 then hop on 39 once we get closer.

Heading here from Bloomington; there is a Peru exit on 251 almost immediately after you cross the bridge, which is route 6. Take route 6 east and it wouldn't even take a couple minutes to get where his car was found. 39 is too far away (weird on the map, but true) ... you head west on rt 6 off of 39, you have 1 stop light and literally every block from rt 351 to the high school has a stop sign (approx 8 blocks, but just guessing off the top of my head). You could take rt 6, but it has 4 stop lights and is still a longer drive.

Peru is just easier to get through.

"A Bloomington Police spokesperson said Sunday “we are still looking and investigating the circumstances behind Jelani’s disappearance.”

“Without positive identification of the deceased person, it would be improper to make any preliminary opinions about the body’s identity and the circumstances behind it,” said BPD spokesperson Officer John Fermon. “The LaSalle County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the deceased person found. We ask that people refrain from speculation as the investigation remains ongoing and could take considerable time.”

Bloomington And Peru Police Investigating Body In Illinois River - Illinois Newsroom

I have so much admiration for this family.. And for Jelani. Just really good, loving people.
Wish I could do more for them.

"[Jelani's brother] said his brother wanted to be a speech pathologist after witnessing a friend with a speech problem being bullying when he was younger.

“The reason why he wanted to become a speech pathologist was because when he grew up he had a friend that had problems with talking, people would make fun of him and (Jelani) didn’t like that people were mocking his friend,” D’Andre Day said. “He wanted to be able to help out so another child wouldn’t feel left out or neglected or feel pushed aside because of their disability.”

[Brother] said his brother is also family-oriented and would not leave without telling his family. He added that his brother’s connection with his family is strong, whether it is his bond with his siblings, him donating bone marrow to his father or his dream of having a large family of his own, similar to the one he grew up in.

D’Andre Day said he wants to dispel any rumors going around about his brother and encourage people to look at the sources they receive information from. He said he wanted to emphasize that his brother was not depressed, had no mental health issues and was not a drug user.

“For those who are reading the blogs or any false information put out please don’t believe it. We ask that you respect our family’s privacy but also be empathetic to our situation and put yourself in our shoes,” D’Andre Day said. “What would you do if they were rumors about your brother?”

Eastern student seeks help finding missing brother

"A Bloomington Police spokesperson said Sunday “we are still looking and investigating the circumstances behind Jelani’s disappearance.”

“Without positive identification of the deceased person, it would be improper to make any preliminary opinions about the body’s identity and the circumstances behind it,” said BPD spokesperson Officer John Fermon. “The LaSalle County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the deceased person found. We ask that people refrain from speculation as the investigation remains ongoing and could take considerable time.”

Bloomington And Peru Police Investigating Body In Illinois River - Illinois Newsroom
Not sure I understand, surely they have an idea if it’s him or not. Unless the body was disfigured : (

Not sure I understand, surely they have an idea if it’s him or not. Unless the body was disfigured : (

Water can be very harsh on a human body and this is something they need to be absolutely 100% sure on before delivering news to family (and then later to the press).

There was a story about a car crash involving high school students, one died and one survived in the hospital with injuries and they accidentally informed the wrong families about which one was deceased. Much, much better to take the time to investigate properly than to make a mistake like that one.

Other than Labor Day weekend, if this is Jelani, wouldn't it have been relatively easy to identify the body? Dental records, etc.

All I can think of otherwise is foul play and they altered him.
You'd be surprised by the effect of the elements on a body in even a few days. I won't go into detail here out of respect for the loved ones of the person they found, but the body can be unrecognizable in a short period of time. Dental records can take a while, first the requesting authority has to have an idea of who they are trying to identify, then they have to find the dentist who might have the records and finally, formally request them. It can take a couple of weeks or more.

This feels like self harm, unfortunately, imo.

Starting school and a new program is difficult and anxiety producing.

The purchase of cannabis, which in itself is not concerning, could have been to relieve anxiety. Unfortunately, it acts like a depressant.

The car hidden and the plate removed indicates that he didn't want the car found or identified.

He "paid" his aunt some money and informed his mother of this. It sounds like he was completing all that needed to be completed before......

The car was found near a river. Young men, mostly drunk ones are attracted, for whatever reason, to water.

I do hope he is only taking a break and will be found alive and happy somewhere but with the discovery of a body in the river, it sounds unlikely.

This feels like self harm, unfortunately, imo.

Starting school and a new program is difficult and anxiety producing.

The purchase of cannabis, which in itself is not concerning, could have been to relieve anxiety. Unfortunately, it acts like a depressant.

The car hidden and the plate removed indicates that he didn't want the car found or identified.

He "paid" his aunt some money and informed his mother of this. It sounds like he was completing all that needed to be completed before......

The car was found near a river. Young men, mostly drunk ones are attracted, for whatever reason, to water.

I do hope he is only taking a break and will be found alive and happy somewhere but with the discovery of a body in the river, it sounds unlikely.

The YMCA near where the car was is about a mile from the river.

DA73866E-2781-4205-9C0C-868DD52458DA.jpeg

I partly agree that a voluntary departure is the most logical explanation for why his cell phone hasn't pinged outside of the dispensary area (he turned it off).

However, it really doesn't make any sense at all to try to conceal the car/remove plates but then walk for some 20 minutes/mile to the river where he would have been seen by others or captured on CCTV.

I find it very odd that he’s looking right up at the camera, holding his mask while the lady in the corner is wearing hers.

Attachments

• 6492CC5E-7A09-49D2-93CB-0B1BE6CE3579.jpeg
    6492CC5E-7A09-49D2-93CB-0B1BE6CE3579.jpeg
    118.8 KB · Views: 120
I find it very odd that he’s looking right up at the camera, holding his mask while the lady in the corner is wearing hers.
It might be one of those situations like at the bank or airport when they ask you to lower your mask for a second so that they can verify ID or have your facial image on security cameras.

Grateful it wasn't him yet it was somebody. Prayers to that poor family.

I was thinking prior to the poor person being found if maybe JJ was working on some sort of school thesis for school. I'm still going back to the car/plates removed/car hidden issue. Doesn't make sense

Well you would remove the plate to delay the car from being Identified. I don’t see someone who car jacked the car doing that, it would be more obvious to be driving around without a plate. Unless someone planned on returning with another plate to put on the car. Could be why the keys are missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong