SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
It fits perfectly for me. On Friday they basically fire AM for allegedly embezzling millions, and the next day there is an apparent attempt on his life.

I think they saw right through that…

And yes, I think they’re out for blood.
But. it reeks of piling on, kick him while he's down, classless type behavior. I know they got their case but all in due time. Anyway, I agree they're out for blood.

Hypothetically speaking, how long does it take to “steal” millions? Was this prior to or because of the murders? It seems like a cause vs reaction debate, IMO. Someone like me would need a long timespan to embezzle money amounts outside of my lifestyle bracket but maybe a few months (?) if I live/spend like AM? Also, does he not have his own money from his job and 3 recent life insurance policies or are those in waiting bc COD in 2 was homicide?
I imagine this took place over years. At some point that usually catches up to you, and I think things finally came to a head.

There was a lot going on at the time of the murders, and that’s just what we know about (Paul’s felony trial, that hearing coming up in a couple days, and AM’s father on his deathbed).

So does the embezzlement factor in? Personally, I’d be shocked if it didn’t.

There’s no way those life insurance policies have paid out yet (Paul and Maggie).

If he absconded with multi millions, which is what social media is saying, he had help. In my opinion the entire firm needs to be investigated.

Great point and if the head of the dynasty is gone, maybe he’s an ideal fall guy bc “no loyalty among thieves” IMO

ETA: not defending is innocent just his acting alone

Hypothetically speaking, how long does it take to “steal” millions? Was this prior to or because of the murders? It seems like a cause vs reaction debate, IMO. Someone like me would need a long timespan to embezzle money amounts outside of my lifestyle bracket but maybe a few months (?) if I live/spend like AM? Also, does he not have his own money from his job and 3 recent life insurance policies or are those in waiting bc COD in 2 was homicide?
IMO, the amount would be more related to getting away with it than how fast you could spend it. If you took millions all at one time there’s almost no way it wouldn’t be noticed.

But. it reeks of piling on, kick him while he's down, classless **** type behavior. I know they got their case but all in due time. Anyway, I agree they're out for blood.
Here’s the thing though. This is their baby, their firm, their livelihoods.

If these allegations are true, the damage caused will be tremendous (financial, reputation).

You’d want to cut ties, and do so in a public way. They’d also want to make sure law enforcement knew the context surrounding the events on Saturday, especially if they felt things were not as they appeared.

So I get it.

Why would his "former" law firm partners go to the scene of the shooting. This seems strange to me.

AM’s brother, RM, is both a family member and a former law partner. AM is said to have called RM after calling 911, and the media accounts of the roadway incident were from John Griffin, a family attorney who received his info from RM.

MOO, RM may have been put in the position of trying to help his brother in crisis while also protecting the law firm, which is a family legacy. Seeing that AM received timely medical attention (added benefit that it was out-of-state?) and legal representation while also alerting LE to recent developments might be how he handled those dual responsibilities. Or he brought another law firm partner with him to represent the firm’s interests while he dealt with his brother’s interests. Speculation only.

Last edited:
I think this was super recent. It seems as if they couldn’t have brought this to SLED’s attention much faster than they did, as they traveled to the crime scene to tell them.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if they reached out to the New York Times themselves.

I think they see which way the wind is blowing, and they want to get ahead of this in a major way.

They’re washing their hands of him, and they want the world to know it.

I find it interesting that this allegedly huge amount of money could have flowed from the firm, albeit probably over some length of time, but that no one picked it up until now. Seems in a firm that large there would be checks and balances in place. Dont know — never worked in law. I’m thinking like a banker. JMO.

The parallel to fiction I first thought of was "Columbo." There's actually an episode involving an attempted assassination that was perpetrated by the victim to deflect attention away from previous bad acts.

One more thing... I'm not saying AM is guilty of a similar ruse, just that the recent tire trouble reminded me of that particular episode.
Imo

I'm not sure the Greeks could touch this. It has William Faulkner written all over it.....lots of mossy trees and messy secrets. I hope Massy is right and we get to the bottom of the story soon. (See what I did there?)

The parallel to fiction I first thought of was "Columbo." There's actually an episode involving an attempted assassination that was perpetrated by the victim to deflect attention away from previous bad acts.

One more thing... I'm not saying AM is guilty of a similar ruse, just that the recent tire trouble reminded me of that particular episode.
Imo
There is a ton of real life precedent for that too.

My family has a law firm. (I have a different profession but I did work there in college). Because it is not huge, there is an accountant/bookkeeper that does monthly employee payroll and keeps up with expenses. But both my father and sister have access to all funds. My father, head of the firm, accounts for the trust accounts every month. He would be the only one that could get away with stealing from the trust.
On another note. Oxy can cause great debt, and significant family, and life problems. It’s hard to believe it cost him millions. Maybe there is also gambling? Maybe his wife knew of what she saw as a problem and poor money management and demanded the properties in her name in 2018. I don’t think she knew of the theft then.
I have served on committees as the non attorney member for the lawyer disciplinary board in my state. I was astounded at what lawyers let each other get away with. When it comes to stealing from each other, all bets are off.

edited for grammar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member