Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #100

Status
Not open for further replies.
In SC immunization records are kept by DHEC in a registry. But the public can't access it directly. The website says to contact your local health department or the provider that administered the vaccine.

So the records are there; you just can't access them. There is an email address to contact them directly for your records, but they never respond.
Here is Illinois' registry. I'm able to view all of my vaccines here.

IDPH Portal

My dad was told not to get the Shingles shot around the same time as the Covid shot but now he is told it's OK. So I would talk to your Dr. and do some research on this. After all, your Dr. relies on the same research, right?

My doctor encouraged me to go ahead and get the shingles vaccine now, before I'll be eligible for the Pfizer booster in October. I guess because there will likely be side effects from both shots.

My doctor encouraged me to go ahead and get the shingles vaccine now, before I'll be eligible for the Pfizer booster in October. I guess because there will likely be side effects from both shots.

I'm trying to work out a schedule for my single shots as well, figuring out a schedule that will work with the flu shot and the covid booster shot that I am eligible for in October as well. I think that the shingles shots are six months apart but need to check that. If so, then it shouldn't be too hard to work out a schedule, unless we are getting the fourth covid booster shot at some point, perhaps one that is targeted toward a specific variant or two.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/08/uni...cine-mandate-will-be-put-on-unpaid-leave.html

United Airlines’ employees who are granted exemptions to a company vaccinate mandate for religious reasons will be put on temporary unpaid leave starting next month, the airline told staff Wednesday, citing the recent rise in Covid cases.
Staff who are given medical exemptions for not getting the vaccine will be put on temporary medical leave.

Religious exemptions from state's COVID vaccine mandate seem to be popular choice

“Scott Reiquam is one of those seeking an exemption.

He said he was granted the first part of the religious exemption but is now waiting for word on whether the agency will accommodate his request to continue working from home.

Reiquam said he is not necessarily against the vaccine, but is opposed to the mandate.

There’s a part in the Bible in Revelation (that) talks specifically about a time when there will be ruler who at that point will mandate everyone, they have to do something,” he said.“

And if vaccinations were ever required for high school football fans?

“My grandson plays football,” he said. “So, if I’m going to watch him play football I would have to probably have to get vaccinated.”

Huh?

NZ update: We are down to 13 confirmed new cases today. Really nice to see we're definitely on the downslope of the curve now. We've been in Lvl 4 lockdown in Auckland for just over three weeks. Rest of NZ is now at level 2 alert and not locked down.

JMO but the elimination strategy, hard short regional lockdowns where needed and aggressive contact tracing and high isolation/testing/mask/social distancing compliance has worked for us so far. Our vaccination rates are finally ramping up significantly too!

Covid 19 Delta outbreak: 13 new cases in community - Jacinda Ardern and Ashley Bloomfield - NZ Herald

https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/coronavirus/article253742118.html

Hundreds of Washingtonians are looking for a way to skirt state COVID-19 vaccine mandates, and one Gig Harbor-based organization led by a Washington State Patrol chaplain is willing to help.

Workshops offering advice on claiming the exemption are drawing large crowds and support from some notable Pierce County Republicans, including two state senators and three state representatives.

Leaders of the nonprofit organization One Washington, which is running the workshops in churches across Washington and Oregon, say they’re not doing anything political, just educational.

One Washington co-president Thomas Jonez is a Washington State Patrol chaplain and former owner of a closed vocational school that left hundreds of students with worthless diplomas and crippling loan debt in the mid-2000s. Jonez said his state duties and past business failures have nothing to do with his One Washington activities.

Thick crowds of people, mostly unmasked and seated shoulder-to-shoulder, have attended the workshop.

In an interview after that workshop, Jonez brushed off a question about the morality of endangering others by refusing the vaccine. It was “irrelevant to the discussion,” he said; everyone must make their own decisions on morality.”

Religious exemptions from state's COVID vaccine mandate seem to be popular choice

“Scott Reiquam is one of those seeking an exemption.

He said he was granted the first part of the religious exemption but is now waiting for word on whether the agency will accommodate his request to continue working from home.

Reiquam said he is not necessarily against the vaccine, but is opposed to the mandate.

There’s a part in the Bible in Revelation (that) talks specifically about a time when there will be ruler who at that point will mandate everyone, they have to do something,” he said.“

And if vaccinations were ever required for high school football fans?

“My grandson plays football,” he said. “So, if I’m going to watch him play football I would have to probably have to get vaccinated.”

Huh?
I wonder if he feels the same about seat belts, helmets for motorcyclists, obeying traffic signs and carrying life jackets on boats?

I wonder if he feels the same about seat belts, helmets for motorcyclists, obeying traffic signs and carrying life jackets on boats?

Seatbelts might cut into his abdomen too much and life jackets could impede his breathing so he may want to show a Dr's excuse to the Highway Patrol and Parks and Recreation Security.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/08/uni...cine-mandate-will-be-put-on-unpaid-leave.html

United Airlines’ employees who are granted exemptions to a company vaccinate mandate for religious reasons will be put on temporary unpaid leave starting next month, the airline told staff Wednesday, citing the recent rise in Covid cases.
Staff who are given medical exemptions for not getting the vaccine will be put on temporary medical leave.

I still haven't worked out what qualifies for a medical exemption.
I have two different friends who have cancer and both have been vaccinated (once they were out of one of their chemo regimes).
I have another friend who has had a double lung transplant (yep) within the last year. He recently got vaccinated.
All have been vaccinated on the advice of their doctors. And all did well with the vaccinations.

As far as allergies go ... with the different types of vaccines available, you would think there might be one that is more suitable. And that is why we wait around for 20-30 minutes after being vaccinated, because an allergic reaction hits fast and they can help those people.

Last edited:
So what good are medical and religious exemptions if companies can still stop you from working? I thought the exemptions were to keep you working on your own terms?

Maybe the exemptions can stop you from requiring the vaccines. But they don't stop you from being an obvious OH&S hazard at work?

I can't imagine vaccinated people wanting to work alongside unvaccinated people.

Last edited:
The usual advice is to space the Covid and shingles shot 2 weeks apart, not because of side effects, but so they can work to their full potential. I followed my pharmacist's advice which was to make the Covid vaccine the priority. The two shingles shots can be spaced as much as 6 months apart. I've had all my vaccines with only a sore arm... no other side effects, but everyone is different.

I am starting to get burned out at work. So many of our patients have refused to get vaccinated, and our doctors discuss it with them every time they come in. They still refuse to get vaccinated.

Now so many of them are coming in to be treated because they are sick with COVID.

We get calls all day, every day, from patients who have tested positive for COVID and want to see the doctor. When they come in almost always aren’t even wearing a mask. They don’t believe in getting vaccinated, don’t believe in masks, but when they get sick they want to be treated.

I am really becoming resentful that they come into the clinic and expose the staff and other patients to COVID.
I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm glad I live in a province with high vaccine uptake and very strict regulations, including proof-of-vaccination cards to get into many places. Our health care workers are grateful.

Our daughter’s employer was planning to bring vaccinated workers gradually back to corporate headquarters starting next week, but it’s now moved to mid-October with rumors of early 2022. So she will continue working at home for the time being.

The big and controversial news is that vaccinations are now mandated as a condition of employment nationwide (unless a religious or medical exemption form is approved by HR), even for those working mostly from home. Since only vaccinated workers were going to be allowed to work at headquarters, I assume those with exemptions will have to work from home. Terminations will start after mid-October unless a vax card is provided, which will be tied to security passes to buildings. They aren’t messing around!

The goal is not only to keep employees safe but also contribute to slowing the spread in the community. This company wisely stopped employee travel in early March 2020 and office meetings shortly after. She has worked from home since mid-March 2020. She anticipates that about 5% will quit and the remaining 15-20% will get their vaccinations. Her team is fully vaxxed thankfully, so she won’t lose anyone.

I am starting to get burned out at work. So many of our patients have refused to get vaccinated, and our doctors discuss it with them every time they come in. They still refuse to get vaccinated.

Now so many of them are coming in to be treated because they are sick with COVID.

We get calls all day, every day, from patients who have tested positive for COVID and want to see the doctor. When they come in almost always aren’t even wearing a mask. They don’t believe in getting vaccinated, don’t believe in masks, but when they get sick they want to be treated.

I am really becoming resentful that they come into the clinic and expose the staff and other patients to COVID.

I’m so sorry you all are being treated so dismissively. Thank you for what you do! Hugs. :)

Drive-through monoclonal antibody clinic…

This is my local area in Southern Oregon…low vax rate, high hospitalization numbers. I was among the first to receive the monoclonal antibody infusion here in January. This four shot method will allow many more to be treated and hopefully cut down on hospitalizations.

Very interesting article…
Drive-thru antibody clinic offers hope for COVID-19 patients

Asante opened the drive-thru clinic in Medford Aug. 30 after monoclonal antibodies became available through the four-shot process. Although it doesn’t take long to get the shots, medical workers keep an eye on patients for one hour in case of adverse reactions, such as an allergic reaction.

The drive-thru clinic can handle up to 80 people a day. They stay cocooned inside their cars, making the process safer for themselves and the medical workers wearing face masks, face shields, gloves and gowns.

Asante said the Medford monoclonal antibodies drive-thru clinic is one of the first in the nation.

I'm so thankful that we have vaccines available. With delta around us, I can't imagine what state we would be in if we didn't. So many lives were saved. We can even carefully and cautiously mingle with family and friends or venture out to stores(w/masks of course) since vaccines have our backs.

The current situation isn't perfect by any means but is so very much better than last year.

My Dr's office has never lifted the locked door, call a number, and they will let you in when they can. You have to wear a mask ever since last March. I received a letter saying I had to have many booster shots, for example Rubella. So I go in October for the yearly checkup and guess I'll just get it all. Definitely the flu and I want the Shingles jab also since turning 61. I wonder if I can get all these boosters plus a possible vaccine booster?

Our protocol is that a covid vaccine not is given within two weeks of any other vaccine. You may want to confirm the timing of your vaccines.

"We have no idea what to tell them": Americans with J&J vaccine left in the dark on boosters
Thu, September 9, 2021, 5:00 AM

Despite the White House's reassurance that boosters for Johnson & Johnson are likely on their way, J&J vaccine recipients feel left out of the conversation, the Washington Post reports.

b5fb4315b3abd73ab175242e144684ba

Why it matters: The administration has said it is eyeing boosters for the mRNA shots available from Pfizer and Moderna and the FDA will meet regarding Pfizer's booster data in mid-September. (Moderna may come later.)
  • But while the White House has said it is looking at J&J boosters, the plans have not yet publicly included them.
  • “We’ve kind of left people who got J&J high and dry, we have no idea what to tell them,” a federal health official tells the Post.
What's happening: A small preprint study showed the J&J shot can provide protection from the Delta variant.
  • Another says overall healthy people could have immunity from severe disease for at least eight months. J&J shots reached Americans' arms about seven months ago and some recipients are getting nervous.
What to watch: A booster trial in South Africa by J&J could be underway in October after the company’s shot was used in a trial of nearly half a million health workers in the country, Bloomberg reports.

Attachments

• upload_2021-9-9_6-21-51.png
    upload_2021-9-9_6-21-51.png
    651.1 KB · Views: 1
I still haven't worked out what qualifies for a medical exemption.
I have two different friends who have cancer and both have been vaccinated (once they were out of one of their chemo regimes).
I have another friend who has had a double lung transplant (yep) within the last year. He recently got vaccinated.
All have been vaccinated on the advice of their doctors. And all did well with the vaccinations.

As far as allergies go ... with the different types of vaccines available, you would think there might be one that is more suitable. And that is why we wait around for 20-30 minutes after being vaccinated, because an allergic reaction hits fast and they can help those people.

In Ontario, medical exemption is given only if the person had an anaphylactic reaction to the vaccine or one of its ingredients, which must be confirmed by an immunologist, or if the person had myocarditis or pericarditis after the first dose of a vaccine.

There are no other medical exemptions.

Ontario confirms there are only two valid medical exemptions from COVID-19 vaccines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff