Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #100

Status
Not open for further replies.
The nursing home where my mother is now staying just sent out an email. They test every Tuesday and Friday, but this is only Thursday. This is what I just received:

"Since our last report, five new cases of COVID have been identified in our staff population. All five staff members are undergoing at-home quarantine precautions. We continue to monitor one resident that has also been identified as positive for COVID.

Our next testing date will be Friday, September 10, 2021. An update will be sent after testing is completed tomorrow.

Thank you for your continued prayers and support."

One resident and FIVE staff? That tells me one thing -- the staff are not getting vaccinated. My mom is vaccinated, but we all know the shot loses efficiency over time. They're so short-handed already and now five more can't work.

This is so irresponsible.

I am presuming the poster meant the situation is better for the vaccinated.
Alot better because we have the vaccine now. Most deaths and hospitalizations are unvaccinated.
Yes, exactly. Thank you. I stayed up late last night, sleepy, and made myself unclear as to how I can feel better and safer this year vs last year. In the eyes of the vaccinated in daily life.

We still have too many unvaccinated running around, maskless and clueless, voluntarily taking unacceptable risks, arrogantly believing their immune system alone can beat the virus. They are cancer to our society and all have one thing in common. Once they become unable to breathe, they realize how foolish they were. On death beds, when it's too late.

The nursing home where my mother is now staying just sent out an email. They test every Tuesday and Friday, but this is only Thursday. This is what I just received:

"Since our last report, five new cases of COVID have been identified in our staff population. All five staff members are undergoing at-home quarantine precautions. We continue to monitor one resident that has also been identified as positive for COVID.

Our next testing date will be Friday, September 10, 2021. An update will be sent after testing is completed tomorrow.

One resident and FIVE staff? That tells me one thing -- the staff are not getting vaccinated. My mom is vaccinated, but we all know the shot loses efficiency over time. They're so short-handed already and now five more can't work.

I thought that people who are vaccinated can still get Covid and pass it on to others. Maybe that's what happened at the nursing home.

What’s irresponsible is to assume the staff aren’t vaccinated. Our local nursing home has 7 staff fully vaccinated in quarantine. So there’s that! Can’t always blame the unvaccinated

Last edited:

I am really sorry to hear that. It must be very worrying, as it is so out of your control.

Best you can do is keep your mum topped up with the vaccine (booster) when she is eligible for that.
And try to encourage her to mask up when others are around. Keep her window open (if she can) and/or keep her room ventilated. Wash her hands. All the usual precautions.

I agree that too many aged care workers have been found to be unvaccinated. We have had to mandate their vaccinations here (effective 17th Sept), because we found the same thing.

Residential aged care workers

I thought that people who are vaccinated can still get Covid and pass it on to others. Maybe that's what happened at the nursing home.

They can - but it's more rare than once thought. While vaccinated people can have as many virions in their nasal passages/nose as the unvaccinated, it appears that the antibodies bind quickly to the virions in most people, so that they cannot pass it on as readily as an unvaccinated person.

This is quite a relief and I hope there are more studies on this (I can't remember where exactly that study was done - I think perhaps Israel).

They can - but it's more rare than once thought. While vaccinated people can have as many virions in their nasal passages/nose as the unvaccinated, it appears that the antibodies bind quickly to the virions in most people, so that they cannot pass it on as readily as an unvaccinated person.

This is quite a relief and I hope there are more studies on this (I can't remember where exactly that study was done - I think perhaps Israel).

I also read that there are indications that if a vaccinated person catches covid, they are likely infectious for a shorter period of time. They recover quicker, have less symptoms, the body kills the virus pretty quickly.

It really is a new frontier as far as whittling down the details.

I have noticed people are putting their passports in a carrier, and the United States CDC vaccination card fits nicely in the pocket. People are keeping those documents together. Makes sense, especially if you travel a lot.
Yellow Fever vaccination cards fit into passports too, and we have been recommending carrying Yellow Fever vaccination cards in passport folders for years, for those patients traveling to countries where YF vaccinations are required. So that makes sense to carry COVID vaccination cards in passport folders.

I also read that there are indications that if a vaccinated person catches covid, they are likely infectious for a shorter period of time. They recover quicker, have less symptoms, the body kills the virus pretty quickly.

It really is a new frontier as far as whittling down the details.
The vaccinated are outfitted like a combat soldier. Helmet, combat boots, grenades, rifle, hand gun..
The unvaccinated? In swimming shorts. Nothing but.

Thanks for the data SouthAussie, I guess it's because I'm living through this one.
:-/

Not a chance.

The 1918 pandemic killed an estimated 50,000,000 people ... when the population of the world was 1.8 billion people.

So far, this pandemic has taken the lives of 4,600,000 people. And the population of the world is 7.9 billion people.

Even with modern medicines to assist us, that is one heck of a difference in world deaths vs population.

The Influenza Epidemic of 1918
COVID Live Update: 222,793,289 Cases and 4,600,334 Deaths from the Coronavirus - Worldometer

Last edited:
The defence force popup vaccination hub here since Monday, will be extending Saturdays session til late, and will be back in four weeks to give the second jabs.
So they have decreased the time between the first and the second jabs.

They've been vaccinating over 500 people a day and from the looks of the long lines outside, there are a lot of young people lining up to get it.

Super Saturday: Extended hours at vaccine hub to get more shots in arms

Last edited:
Company offers $50 travel vouchers to vaccine bookings

An Australian company is providing $200,000 worth of taxi vouchers to residents to safely travel to their first or second COVID-19 vaccine appointment.

Australian business Cabcharge will offer vouchers for New South Wales residents to travel to and from their COVID-19 vaccination appointment in hopes of boosting vaccine numbers in the state.

Cabcharge boss Cyrus Asher said he wanted to provide people with a safe way to get to their appointment as the Delta variant's transmissibility was higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie