SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why settle for the report of the officer who did not even see or talk to AM? Are we so thirsty to convict AM, that we drawing our answers from a release of factual but misleading information?

When you read the report fully, the statement is made by Sgt. White, who was dispatched to the crime scene. Corporal Henderson met with AM, where is his report?

It says it was followed up with SLED. I sure hope SLED is doing the right thing.

But the dispatch of LE to the scene was at 1:55 and Murdaugh had called 911 about 30 minutes earlier, according to the Daily Beast article
AM also spoke with his brother, RM. IMO, RM is the one driving Griffin's quotes and these misteps. Who would have known where to pick up AM? His bro. I believe that RM needs to retain his own lawyer and then take 3 steps back...unless he too has "skin" in the game.

If Alex owned the knife that was used to slash the tires, does that mean he shot himself? Or, is that too far-fetched?
Does that mean he wasn't shot at all? Did the knife he owned play two parts? A knife slice can be looked at like a graze from a shot. But the police report says NO to visible injuries. So, a bump on the head?

JMO

An "assault rifle", by definition, is capable of fully automatic fire. There is no such thing as a "semi-automatic assault rifle".

That is not what I said. OP stated it was an assault rifle that was used. It was not. It was simply a semi-automatic rifle. If someone wants to say a semi-automatic assault "style" rifle, I can handle that as it gives me a better description of what that semi automatic weapon probably is they're referring to but it's either an assault rifle or a semi-automatic rifle.

However, I was politely correcting OP by saying it's not an assault rifle yet many outlets use that verbiage (which is absurd)

Last edited:
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/n...5bUvE-dsP9g55KBOJytrrqS_R5YYOCJklvGacQ2Olc4Lg

Alex Murdaugh’s injuries in a Sept. 4 shooting in Hampton County included an entry and exit wound, a skull fracture, and minor brain bleeding in two places, his lawyer said Thursday. The wound, he said, was not self inflicted.

The accounting of Murdaugh’s injuries disputes what police have said about a superficial gunshot wound and no “visible injury,” according to a Hampton County Sheriff’s Office report. Murdaugh lawyer Jim Griffin said the report is incorrect.

He said a Murdaugh family member told him about Murdaugh’s wounds.

Griffin provided more details about Saturday’s shooting, after which Murdaugh, whose wife and son were killed on June 7, was airlifted to a Savannah hospital. Griffin’s recounting includes information on a possible suspect.

Griffin said Alex Murdaugh provided the following information to the S.C. Law Enforcement Division, the agency investigating the shooting.

Well, if a family member said so, IT MUST BE TRUE!! What kind of lawyer is this? A well paid one, I gather.

ETA: My snark is not intended toward anyone here. Just the lawyer and their willingness to prevent unverified family statements as fact.

Last edited:
ADMIN NOTE:

Many posts have been removed or edited. Since then, I’ve spoken with Tricia and we are making some changes on the fly.

Although LE has not officially named Alex Murdaugh as a POI, common sense tells us they would be remiss if they were not strongly considering him. Even MM and AM's own law firm saw fit to investigate him so we are opening up sleuthing of him unless LE officially announces that he is NOT a POI.

We trust Nancy G / Crimeonline for vetting their sources appropriately, so we are temporarily allowing both FITSNews and Mandy Mattney as approved sources in this discussion. As with any source, when we temporarily approve them, their status is subject to our monitoring the type of coverage (i.e. they don’t get too biased or rumor laden, etc), and that decision is subject to change at a later date.

PS: No absolute trashing of AM or direct accusations.

Thank you! Thank you!

ok wait...just got off work...skull fracture? For real?
You get to go home with a skull fracture and brain bleeding?
How do you get a skull fracture from superficial wound when you are down low changing a tire?
Maybe he wacked his head on the SUV running away?
Is this a valid report?
o_O

ok wait...just got off work...skull fracture? For real?
You get to go home with a skull fracture and brain bleeding?
How do you get a skull fracture from superficial wound when you are down low changing a tire?
Maybe he wacked his head on the SUV running away?
Is this a valid report?
o_O

Yes, you can go home with a skull fracture. Fracture just means the bone has a crack in it. If it's not displaced- there's really no treatment except to watch it. And you would be shocked at the number of people with small brain bleeds they don't even know about. Again, if the bleeding is on the surface and not causing any pressure (because of it's size) they can go unnoticed until you get an x-ray or scan of some type.

Colleton Medical Center is 25.9 miles from 15000 Salkehatchie Road - a 30 minute drive .
The medical center does have a helipad but it is not a trauma center. Trident Medical Center in N. Charleston is 62 miles, MUSC Charleston is 70.7 miles and Savannah is 71.8 miles.

It is possible the Colleton Medical Center dispatched the helicopter upon the report of a gunshot to the head. I imagine a reported gunshot wound to the head would be considered in need of a trauma center. The wound may have appeared superficial at the scene and Murdaugh conscious and alert but that does not guarantee a life threatening brain bleed from a skull fracture would not develop and his condition rapidly deteriorate.

Attachments

• 15713F5B-C160-4B25-8B49-00AAD3A02FCF.jpeg
    15713F5B-C160-4B25-8B49-00AAD3A02FCF.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 8
I think that numbers of Covid patients at a specific hospital could maybe determine where injured patients are sent. I live in an adjoining state. Our local hospital usually medevacs to Savannah. Some cases are now being flighted to Augusta or Macon I have been told.

Colleton Medical Center is 25.9 miles from 15000 Salkehatchie Road - a 30 minute drive .
The medical center does have a helipad but it is not a trauma center. Trident Medical Center in N. Charleston is 62 miles, MUSC Charleston is 70.7 miles and Savannah is 71.8 miles.

It is possible the Colleton Medical Center dispatched the helicopter upon the report of a gunshot to the head. I imagine a reported gunshot wound to the head would be considered in need of a trauma center. The wound may have appeared superficial at the scene and Murdaugh conscious and alert but that does not guarantee a life threatening brain bleed from a skull fracture would not develop and his condition rapidly deteriorate.

Thank you for summing checking on distances, and summing up what I believe myself.

It's better to dispatch a helicopter, whether ground or air, and realize later that it really wasn't needed, than the reverse. No way would a small hospital like Colleton have the facilities to care for a potentially critically injured victim, whether they are a millionaire, or homeless.

That is not what I said. OP stated it was an assault rifle that was used. It was not. It was simply a semi-automatic rifle. If someone wants to say a semi-automatic assault "style" rifle, I can handle that as it gives me a better description of what that semi automatic weapon probably is they're referring to but it's either an assault rifle or a semi-automatic rifle.

However, I was politely correcting OP by saying it's not an assault rifle yet many outlets use that verbiage (which is absurd)

I wasn't necessarily correcting you. I saw a newspaper article somewhere on one of these threads (maybe Daily Mail) that used that (incorrect) term. I just added my reply for general reference among the readers of the thread.

I believe it was a semi-automatic assault style rifle. Many news sources use them interchangeably as if they're the same thing. They're not

An "assault rifle", by definition, is capable of fully automatic fire. There is no such thing as a "semi-automatic assault rifle".

There is no legal or technical definition of the term "assault rifle" beyond the literal meaning, a rifle used for an assault. The legal definition in the United States for any fully automatic weapon is "machine gun", a term old enough that its common meaning is primarily ironic.

I was surprised to read that in November, the Associated Press updated their Stylebook to discourage newsrooms from using terms like “assault rifle,” “assault weapon,” “military-style rifle” and “modern sporting rifle” as gun activists have become reactionary to these "triggering" terms but they are far from having any concrete meaning.

We here on websleuths are amateur forum writers, not members of the associated press and for our purposes I do not believe it is incorrect to describe a rifle used to assault and kill two people as an "assault style rifle"

In such a high profile case, you'd think that every official report generated by any branch of law enforcement would be reviewed for accuracy before it is released to a public that is eager to scrutinize it!

So they released an official document that contained two factual/observational errors.

My thoughts immediately went to the possibility that this department /reporting officer are probably even less careful when it comes to reports about crimes that don't involve such high profile victims.

And, in similar situations, wouldn't a savvy defense attorney be able to use the existence of two reports in his/her client's favor?
Imo

So the no injury box was checked in error?

I do not believe that one for hot second.

We here on websleuths are amateur forum writers, not members of the associated press and for our purposes I do not believe it is incorrect to describe a rifle used to assault and kill two people as an "assault style rifle"

To firearms collectors, armorers, developers of military hardware, etc, there is a strict definition, which necessitates full-auto capability. That's the point...someone who refers to a semi-auto rifle as an assault rifle (regardless of its use), doesn't know what he's talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
To firearms collectors, armorers, developers of military hardware, etc, there is a strict definition, which necessitates full-auto capability. That's the point...someone who refers to a semi-auto rifle as an assault rifle (regardless of its use), doesn't know what he's talking about.
I would be most appreciative if you could provide me with a citation of the strict definition of the term to which all armorers and military weapon manufacturers agree. In my experience, no professional would use such an imprecise term. I look forward to being educated.

In such a high profile case, you'd think that every official report generated by any branch of law enforcement would be reviewed for accuracy before it is released to a public that is eager to scrutinize it!

So they released an official document that contained two factual/observational errors.

My thoughts immediately went to the possibility that this department /reporting officer are probably even less careful when it comes to reports about crimes that don't involve such high profile victims.

And, in similar situations, wouldn't a savvy defense attorney be able to use the existence of two reports in his/her client's favor?
Imo
I’d be way more concerned if this sheriff’s department was the one investigating that event. Fortunately, they immediately turned it over to SLED.

That being said, it’s both frustrating and unacceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member