CANADA Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just checking in after no notifications for a month and just 5 unread pages. Things have slowed down. What prompted me to check was seeing this article:
The Sherman Estates And Privacy As A Public Interest - Privacy - Canada
Thanks for the link! rbbm.
19 August 2021
''While dismissing the appeal, the Supreme Court in Sherman nevertheless stressed the importance of safeguarding the privacy rights of individuals. It is under rare circumstances that the Court will place limits on the open court principle, and so the Sherman ruling should not be underestimated in terms of its message regarding the role of the courts in safeguarding core elements of personal privacy.''

''In Yenovkian, for example, the court noted that individuals have a privacy right to control the way they present themselves to the world. Publicly disclosing certain personal details about a person without their consent can itself cause actionable harm.

As noted above, however, not all unwanted personal private information meets the standard of being in the public's interest to protect. Most personal information is of private concern only, even if it is embarrassing or uncomfortable. It is when personal information touches on a core aspect of a person's life, that it can be said to relate to a person's dignity. Some examples of such information provided by the Court in Sherman include:
  • potentially stigmatizing medical diagnoses;
  • sexual orientation; or
  • potentially stigmatizing work history.
This is important commentary, particularly as the courts grapple with the advent of the new torts referenced above.''
rbbm.

We got to the part where the estate files are unsealed…now silence.

We wait. It is a challenge, even for the TPS, waiting for the next tip or lead.
Something that will create new inertia towards reaching a solution.

I think the investigators have all the forensic evidence they need, however they need human evidence to tie everything together. Simply somebody has to talk. Often somebody has seen or heard something related to a case, and that person does not think it is relevant to LE, so they do not say anything. However that bit of information may be the key to unlock the mystery.

Son of Sam
Local resident Cacilia Davis was walking her dog at the scene of the Moskowitz and Violante shooting when she saw patrol officer Michael Cataneo ticketing a car that was parked near a fire hydrant. Moments after the traffic police had left, a young man walked past her from the area of the car and seemed to study her with some interest. Davis felt concerned because he was wielding in his hand some kind of "dark object". She ran to her home only to hear shots fired behind her in the street. Davis remained silent about this experience for four days until she finally contacted police, who closely checked every car that had been ticketed in the area that night.

Had hoped that book 2 would be out by now, the one where we learn all about the killer's back story before they are thrown in jail.

Maybe one day the killer him/herself will write it, maybe title it something like " IF I DID IT .''

THE BILLIONAIRE MURDERS by Kevin Donovan Nominated for the Heritage Toronto Book Awards!
September 2, 2021
''THE BILLIONAIRE MURDERS by Kevin Donovan (Penguin Random House) has been nominated for the Heritage Toronto Book Awards!''

''Billionaires, philanthropists, socialites . . . victims. Barry and Honey Sherman appeared to lead charmed lives. But the world was shocked in late 2017 when their bodies were found in a bizarre tableau in their elegant Toronto home. Toronto Star investigative journalist Kevin Donovan chronicles the unsettling story from the beginning, interviewing family members, friends, and colleagues, and sheds new light on the Shermans’ lives and the disturbing double murder.''

I am assuming the Sherman estate has been or in the process of being distributed to the heirs by now. If the motive for the killings was for money and control, then that has been achieved.

Early on, I believed the motive was revenge by a business relationship gone bad, but there had been no evidence to point that way. One statistical fact mentioned, that swayed me, was "If both parents are murdered in their home, look at the children as POIs". Sadly this could be true in this case. I really hope I am wrong, but has there been any hint of any other potential POI?

Regarding poi/ suspects.. and also noting that the realtor perceived the scene at the pool as a ''fake murder''.
November 27, 2020 rbbm.
Person of interest identified in murders of Barry and Honey Sherman, Toronto police confirm
''TORONTO -- A person of interest has been identified in the murders of billionaire couple Barry and Honey Sherman, the Toronto Police Service confirmed to CTV News Toronto on Wednesday.
“The Toronto Police Service can confirm that a person of interest has been identified but not arrested,” Const. Alex Li said in a statement.''

Toronto police clarify statement on person of interest in Sherman homicides - CityNews Toronto
Nov 27 2020
''Toronto police are backtracking on news that a ‘person of interest’ has been identified
in the 2017 deaths of Barry and Honey Sherman.''
''However, in a brief statement issued Friday, the homicide squad stopped short of confirming a particular person of interest in the case.
“Numerous ‘persons of interest’ have been, and continue to be, investigated throughout the course of this three year investigation. The goal of any investigation is to identify persons who may have been involved in an offence or to exclude them as suspects,” said Det. Sgt. Brandon Price, the lead detective in the case.''

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/barry-honey-sherman-murder-2021-1.5860527
Jan 05, 2021
''Toronto police have said they have a number of people whom they consider persons of interest and, in a statement to CBC News, insist the case hasn't gone cold.''

''The ITOs also reveal police wanted to know where and how the Shermans were spending their money.''

''The ITOs also say "investigators do not have a detailed understanding of the couple, their friends or possible enemies."

''Zhao previously told CBC News he and his clients thought they had stumbled across some kind of bizarre, leftover Halloween display or a sick joke. "Fake murders" is how he described the scene to CBC News in October 2018.''

''According to the ITOs, Jonathon Sherman told police his parents "were complicated people and that there are people out there who would have a grudge against them and would have a reason to hurt them."

The documents don't reveal who those individuals may have been.''

Off Topic

The Canadian International Air Show is being live streamed on 680News, Sunday at noon til 3ish.

There were social media posts from people watching all over the world.

I missed a bit so will be watching it all tomorrow.

Enjoy!

''According to the ITOs, Jonathon Sherman told police his parents "were complicated people and that there are people out there who would have a grudge against them and would have a reason to hurt them."

Some similar rationalizations used by miscreants to justify themselves. " Nobody liked them" "They had enemies" "It was not only me who wanted them dead" " It was only a matter of time, someone would have got them".

Yes there are a number of POI's, I wonder if any are related?

Some similar rationalizations used by miscreants to justify themselves. " Nobody liked them" "They had enemies" "It was not only me who wanted them dead" " It was only a matter of time, someone would have got them".

Yes there are a number of POI's, I wonder if any are related?

I’ve tried to follow the case closely, but I’ve never found that Honey had enemies or people who wished her harm—except for KW.

ETA: KD did write in his book that HS and JS did not get along. He mentioned the word ‘hate’, but I don’t understand that. It’s such a strong word.

Last edited:
I have been surprised that the Sherman kids haven't yet sold Apotex. It is obvious that they have no interest in being involved in the company, or following their father's business plans. BS's dream of expanding the company into the USA was quickly ditched as they sold off his recent building site in Florida that was destined to be the Apotex American HQ in a $184 million investment. European operations for $114 million were also quickly sold. So why haven't they sold Apotex and taken their money to the bank?

Does anyone know how much Apotex was sued for in the opioids scandal? With Johnson and Johnson and other drug companies paying $26 billion in the US suits alone, and Purdue going bankrupt over a $4+billion claim, I wonder if Apotex being named in some US states suits, the $1.1billion Canadian class action law suit, the BC provincial suit (which could grow to other provinces) and the personal law suits has scared off potential buyers of Apotex. There is also a Texas suit from this past July where Apotex settled out-of-court for $26m for a 30 year fraud in inflating drug prices to Medicaid. Are there more law suits expected to come from other states?

It could be a wait-and-see how much Apotex has to pay in claims before a buyer makes a fair offer. They may have missed their chance to sell high in the narrow time frame before all the law suits were filed. Could this explain why the kids haven't sold off all of Apotex assets? Just wondering...hmm.

"The untested statement of claim filed in Ontario Superior Court seeks more than $1.1 billion in various damages from almost two dozen companies, including some of the biggest pharmaceutical names in the country such as Apotex, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Johnson and Johnson, and the Jean Coutu Group.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/opioids-suit-1.5137362

Apotex sells European operations in $114-million deal, focusing on
business amid restructuring

Apotex sells European operations in $114-million deal, focusing on business amid restructuring

J&J And Other Drug Companies Strike $26 Billion Opioid Settlement With States

Apotex Announces $184 Million Investment to Grow U.S. Manufacturing Presence; Expansion Plan Comprises Company's Largest Investment in the United States

Apotex Announces $184 Million Investment to Grow U.S. Manufacturing Presence; Expansion Plan Comprises Company's Largest Investment in the United States

Apotex to Settle Drug Price Dispute With Texas for $26 Million

I have been surprised that the Sherman kids haven't yet sold Apotex. It is obvious that they have no interest in being involved in the company, or following their father's business plans. BS's dream of expanding the company into the USA was quickly ditched as they sold off his recent building site in Florida that was destined to be the Apotex American HQ in a $184 million investment. European operations for $114 million were also quickly sold. So why haven't they sold Apotex and taken their money to the bank?

Does anyone know how much Apotex was sued for in the opioids scandal? With Johnson and Johnson and other drug companies paying $26 billion in the US suits alone, and Purdue going bankrupt over a $4+billion claim, I wonder if Apotex being named in some US states suits, the $1.1billion Canadian class action law suit, the BC provincial suit (which could grow to other provinces) and the personal law suits has scared off potential buyers of Apotex. There is also a Texas suit from this past July where Apotex settled out-of-court for $26m for a 30 year fraud in inflating drug prices to Medicaid. Are there more law suits expected to come from other states?

It could be a wait-and-see how much Apotex has to pay in claims before a buyer makes a fair offer. They may have missed their chance to sell high in the narrow time frame before all the law suits were filed. Could this explain why the kids haven't sold off all of Apotex assets? Just wondering...hmm.

"The untested statement of claim filed in Ontario Superior Court seeks more than $1.1 billion in various damages from almost two dozen companies, including some of the biggest pharmaceutical names in the country such as Apotex, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Johnson and Johnson, and the Jean Coutu Group.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/opioids-suit-1.5137362

Apotex sells European operations in $114-million deal, focusing on
business amid restructuring

Apotex sells European operations in $114-million deal, focusing on business amid restructuring

KD mentioned that the fam was trying to sell the company fairly soon after the murders. Perhaps they haven't received any offers at an acceptable price yet?

CANADA'S GENERIC GIANT APOTEX, Barry Sherman's child, is up for sale. The directive, say sources close to the business, came from the four Sherman children within two months of the murders: sell Apotex at the highest price available. The Florida property, intended for opioid production, purchased for US$50 million in the months before Barry was killed, was sold for $30 million in early 2019. The European operations had been sold off six months after the murders.
ebook pg 271, under 'Aftermath'

...There had been tension between Kay and Jonathon Sherman in the past few months. Kay was balking at how fast the plans for selling Apotex were moving. He wanted to honour Barry Sherman's legacy and ensure that the employees were protected.
ebook pg 273

Apr 4, 2019

Canadian drugmaker Apotex is said to weigh sale amid interest - BNN Bloomberg
''Apotex is working with a financial adviser as it reviews options that may lead to a partial or full sale of the business, the people said. A sale of the whole company could fetch about US$3 billion, the people said, asking not to be identified because the deliberations are private.''

'' Last year, Apotex agreed to sell its commercial operations and certain infrastructure in five European countries to Indian drugmaker Aurobindo Pharma Ltd. for about 74 million euros (US$83 million)''.

February 27, 2019 rbbm.
Apotex | Barry Sherman | Canadian Billionaires Murdered
''A year after Canadian billionaires Barry and Honey Sherman were strangled to death in their Toronto home, their former pharmaceutical company sold its planned U.S. headquarters in Miramar at a huge loss.

Apotex, the largest generic pharmaceutical company in Canada, sold the 304,428-square-foot facility for $38 million, much less than the $50 million it paid for the property in 2017. Bridge Development Partners was the buyer of the massive warehouse at 15501 Southwest 29th Street, from a subsidiary of Apotex.''

''Toronto-based Apotex, founded by Barry Sherman in 1974, acquired the property with plans to bring 150 high-paying jobs and $184 million investment to Miramar. The move was heralded by local economic development agencies and Broward County’s mayor as a major gain for the economy in an area that often struggles to attract high-profile companies.
The build-out of the warehouse was expected to be completed this year. But Apotex appears to have changed it plans amid the death of its founder and his wife and recent leadership changes.''

Assuming the Israeli security team were not on duty at the time.... imo. rbbm.
Owner gets apologies after swastika painted at Apsley commercial building
Sept. 7, 2021
''A businessperson whose property in Apsley was defaced with anti-Semitic graffiti spoke out about the “disturbing” incident at a North Kawartha Township meeting Tuesday.
Jonathon Sherman, owner of Lakeview Cottages and Marina on Chandos Lake, told council that one of his properties was vandalized with a swastika last month.

“As a Jewish person, this is extremely alarming. The swastika represents everything the Jewish people fear,” Sherman said during the township council meeting.

After discovering the hateful symbol, Sherman said his first thought was to quietly “move on,” chalking it up to “ignorance and not targeted hatred.”

“Then I realized that ignoring it and moving on would be a cowardly acceptance of this type of behaviour in our community,” Sherman said.''

“Perhaps they are correct, but I ask you to please consider the following: my family is Jewish; my father’s grandparents escaped the Russian pogroms of the early 20th century to come here and make a better life; my mother’s grandparents were survivors of the Auschwitz work camps during the Nazi Holocaust and they have the numbered arm tattoos to prove it; my mom was born in a refugee camp after the war in Austria; most recently, my parents were both victims of the most violent and unspeakable hatred and that crime remains unsolved. So perhaps I have a few reasons to be sensitive,” Sherman said.
For the past four years, I have been on very high alert.”

''In late 2017, his parents Barry and Honey Sherman were slain in their Toronto home by unknown perpetrators.

The youths “did not know the symbol they were painting was anti-Semitic,” according to Ayotte.

“They saw the symbol on the internet. Once they were educated on the meaning, they were remorseful,” Ayotte said.

Sherman, who is focusing on forgiveness, said the individuals responsible for the hateful graffiti sent him apology letters.

“I take great relief in knowing this was you and not something more sinister or threatening. It is clear from your own words that you regret your actions. You understand that you made a mistake. Everybody makes mistakes,” Sherman said.
“It is important to acknowledge your mistakes, apologize to the affected person, take steps to correct your actions, and prevent it from happening again.”

Last edited:
Assuming the Israeli security team were not on duty at the time.... imo. rbbm.
Sept. 7, 2021
''A businessperson whose property in Apsley was defaced with anti-Semitic graffiti spoke out about the “disturbing” incident at a North Kawartha Township meeting Tuesday.
Jonathon Sherman, owner of Lakeview Cottages and Marina on Chandos Lake, told council that one of his properties was vandalized with a swastika last month.

“As a Jewish person, this is extremely alarming. The swastika represents everything the Jewish people fear,” Sherman said during the township council meeting.

After discovering the hateful symbol, Sherman said his first thought was to quietly “move on,” chalking it up to “ignorance and not targeted hatred.”

“Then I realized that ignoring it and moving on would be a cowardly acceptance of this type of behaviour in our community,” Sherman said.''

“Perhaps they are correct, but I ask you to please consider the following: my family is Jewish; my father’s grandparents escaped the Russian pogroms of the early 20th century to come here and make a better life; my mother’s grandparents were survivors of the Auschwitz work camps during the Nazi Holocaust and they have the numbered arm tattoos to prove it; my mom was born in a refugee camp after the war in Austria; most recently, my parents were both victims of the most violent and unspeakable hatred and that crime remains unsolved. So perhaps I have a few reasons to be sensitive,” Sherman said.
For the past four years, I have been on very high alert.”

''In late 2017, his parents Barry and Honey Sherman were slain in their Toronto home by unknown perpetrators.

The youths “did not know the symbol they were painting was anti-Semitic,” according to Ayotte.

“They saw the symbol on the internet. Once they were educated on the meaning, they were remorseful,” Ayotte said.

Sherman, who is focusing on forgiveness, said the individuals responsible for the hateful graffiti sent him apology letters.

“I take great relief in knowing this was you and not something more sinister or threatening. It is clear from your own words that you regret your actions. You understand that you made a mistake. Everybody makes mistakes,” Sherman said.
“It is important to acknowledge your mistakes, apologize to the affected person, take steps to correct your actions, and prevent it from happening again.”
Here is a link that isn't paywalled. I wonder why the OPP acting staff sargeant would have 'lauded' JS's decision not to press charges? And why does it take an investigating officer to take an offence personally before a little bit of legwork is put into an investigation? In any case, good for JS.

Mike Cavanagh, acting staff sergeant at the OPP, said Tuesday that the “disturbing” incident “caught a lot of attention at the detachment.”

“(It’s) not often that we are able to solve these, but the officer investigating took it personally, himself from a marginalized group, and put a little bit of leg work into this and wanted a resolution,” said Cavanagh.

“By not sending these youth to court, but holding them accountable. and receiving their forgiveness, is quite important,” he added, lauding Sherman’s decision to not press charges.

I am assuming the Sherman estate has been or in the process of being distributed to the heirs by now. If the motive for the killings was for money and control, then that has been achieved.

Early on, I believed the motive was revenge by a business relationship gone bad, but there had been no evidence to point that way. One statistical fact mentioned, that swayed me, was "If both parents are murdered in their home, look at the children as POIs". Sadly this could be true in this case. I really hope I am wrong, but has there been any hint of any other potential POI?

Quoting from your post:

“If the motive for the killings was for money and control, then that has been achieved.”

Along with several other reasons, that’s exactly why I DON’T think the motive for the killings was about money and control. Because from a money and control standpoint, everybody who ended up with money already HAD money; and everybody who ended up with control already HAD control (of what they wanted to be in control of, anyway).

Sure, JS would’ve liked a to have had a bigger role in “succession” - and even wanted to involve AP, but BS had already given JS and AP hundreds of millions. BS wasn’t stupid enough to give JS a role in “succession”. He scoffed at the suggestion. I got the impression that BS thought his own decision making capabilities were pretty darn good. He expressed this more than once to the impudent JS.

I think BS felt like he hadn’t needed anyone’s advice to get where he was, and he sure as heck didn’t need JS’s advice to get where he wanted to go. I actually couldn’t believe JS was so naïve and had such a inflated opinion of himself that he thought he could take charge and do what BS did: “but I studied accounting and finance..”. That’s like allowing somebody you don’t know who’s walking down the street to give you advice on stocks. No! Mind your own business!

All that said, JS was already very wealthy, very occupied with multiple companies and ventures, and was over his head, really. He wasn’t going to gain any more money or any more control by killing BS that he wouldn’t have soon gotten through inheritance anyway (jmo)

Everybody who wanted to be rich was already rich. Everybody was already going to collect their 25 percent (at least a billion each) of BS’s estate. BS was already 75 years old. No child seemed to want to be in control of anything that they were not already in control of. And NONE of them wanted to have anything to do with controlling Apotex, that’s for sure.

Unless the rumors about The Giving Pledge were true, and unless a will modification was imminent, I don’t think the desire for money, or power, or control - had anything to do with the killings. I think the motive was hate and revenge. The method was slow. The posing was intended to humiliate. There were ligature marks on the wrists. They were slowly, slowly, deprived of air (and I think, while somebody was watching, jmo). Papers on the floor upstairs. Wearing their coats (they were ambushed when they first got home). Coats pulled down. Glasses put back on. Feet re-crossed. This was schemed. This took imagination. It took hate (jmo).

Imo that’s one reason why this crime has been so difficult for LE to solve: there are just too many people with motive. Dealing with shady partners makes enemies. Corporate espionage makes enemies. Suing contractors makes enemies, Calling back 50 million dollar business loans makes enemies. Stealing patents and pre-running pharmaceuticals makes corporate and other enemies. Running people out of business makes enemies . Stealing from competitors (forcing early end of patent protection under the guise of helping the little guy) makes enemies. Continuous and often vexatious litigation costs people money and makes enemies. Stealing birthright from cousins makes enemies. Taking back the cousins homes and livelihoods and then suing them for attorneys fees makes enemies. Being ruthless makes enemies.

BS seemed to forget that there were a bunch of other animals out there on the Serengeti with him who were just as ruthless and deadly as he was. They were pursuing survival and happiness and money and success and copulation and food just like he was. They weren’t all harmless, foolish, gullible, forgiving, benign, or even foolishly altruistic animals. They existed only for themselves too. Of all people, BS should have known this. But he didn’t see them as equals. He didn’t see them as threats. To me, this turned out to be an ironic fatal flaw. A fatal conceit. He didn’t think he could be wrong about people. But he was.

All jmo.

Quoting from your post:

“If the motive for the killings was for money and control, then that has been achieved.”

Along with several other reasons, that’s exactly why I DON’T think the motive for the killings was about money and control. Because from a money and control standpoint, everybody who ended up with money already HAD money; and everybody who ended up with control already HAD control (of what they wanted to be in control of, anyway).

Sure, JS would’ve liked a to have had a bigger role in “succession” - and even wanted to involve AP, but BS had already given JS and AP hundreds of millions. BS wasn’t stupid enough to give JS a role in “succession”. He scoffed at the suggestion. I got the impression that BS thought his own decision making capabilities were pretty darn good. He expressed this more than once to the impudent JS.

I think BS felt like he hadn’t needed anyone’s advice to get where he was, and he sure as heck didn’t need JS’s advice to get where he wanted to go. I actually couldn’t believe JS was so naïve and had such a inflated opinion of himself that he thought he could take charge and do what BS did: “but I studied accounting and finance..”. That’s like allowing somebody you don’t know who’s walking down the street to give you advice on stocks. No! Mind your own business!

All that said, JS was already very wealthy, very occupied with multiple companies and ventures, and was over his head, really. He wasn’t going to gain any more money or any more control by killing BS that he wouldn’t have soon gotten through inheritance anyway (jmo)

Everybody who wanted to be rich was already rich. Everybody was already going to collect their 25 percent (at least a billion each) of BS’s estate. BS was already 75 years old. No child seemed to want to be in control of anything that they were not already in control of. And NONE of them wanted to have anything to do with controlling Apotex, that’s for sure.

Unless the rumors about The Giving Pledge were true, and unless a will modification was imminent, I don’t think the desire for money, or power, or control - had anything to do with the killings. I think the motive was hate and revenge. The method was slow. The posing was intended to humiliate. There were ligature marks on the wrists. They were slowly, slowly, deprived of air (and I think, while somebody was watching, jmo). Papers on the floor upstairs. Wearing their coats (they were ambushed when they first got home). Coats pulled down. Glasses put back on. Feet re-crossed. This was schemed. This took imagination. It took hate (jmo).

Imo that’s one reason why this crime has been so difficult for LE to solve: there are just too many people with motive. Dealing with shady partners makes enemies. Corporate espionage makes enemies. Suing contractors makes enemies, Calling back 50 million dollar business loans makes enemies. Stealing patents and pre-running pharmaceuticals makes corporate and other enemies. Running people out of business makes enemies . Stealing from competitors (forcing early end of patent protection under the guise of helping the little guy) makes enemies. Continuous and often vexatious litigation costs people money and makes enemies. Stealing birthright from cousins makes enemies. Taking back the cousins homes and livelihoods and then suing them for attorneys fees makes enemies. Being ruthless makes enemies.

BS seemed to forget that there were a bunch of other animals out there on the Serengeti with him who were just as ruthless and deadly as he was. They were pursuing survival and happiness and money and success and copulation and food just like he was. They weren’t all harmless, foolish, gullible, forgiving, benign, or even foolishly altruistic animals. They existed only for themselves too. Of all people, BS should have known this. But he didn’t see them as equals. He didn’t see them as threats. To me, this turned out to be an ironic fatal flaw. A fatal conceit. He didn’t think he could be wrong about people. But he was.

All jmo.

Well said Rush, I might suggest that motives are not necessarily exclusive, the POI have multiple motives, both power and revenge and so on. Secondly, life and history have shown that money and/or power are insatiable desires. Very few people can resist MORE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam