Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Biden's vaccination mandate doesn't include illegal immigrants

No vaccine mandate for illegal immigrants being held at federal detention facilities. They have the option to refuse, and 30% are refusing to be vaccinated.

But Biden stopped short of mandating the vaccine for illegal immigrants attempting to cross America's border, even though about 30% of immigrants held at federal detention facilities are refusing to be vaccinated — and they have the option to refuse.

Meanwhile, more than 18% of migrant families who recently crossed the border tested positive for COVID before being released by Border Patrol. Another 20% of unaccompanied minors tested positive for the virus.

BBM

Vaccination sites across the U.S. require some form of identification, a requirement that many undocumented immigrates do not have. Fortunately, the Department of Homeland Security has pledged to ensure that all immigrants, regardless of status are entitled to get vaccinated against Covid. Still, around 75% of state websites fail to mention this explicitly to spread the information. Unless told otherwise, undocumented immigrants fear the worst possible outcome, allowing their fears of deportation to dictate their decisions in the hopes of staying in the country.

Moreover, there is often a language barrier limiting undocumented immigrants from learning about their eligibility to become vaccinated and the protection offered. Many websites dealing with vaccinations are not translated into languages such as Spanish, Korean or Mandarin, so large portions of the non-citizen community cannot access information about eligibility and how to obtain a vaccine.

Immigrants Slow To Get Covid-19 Vaccine As Impediments Block Their Access.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/09/10/moderna-most-effective-covid-vaccine-studies/

This is behind a paywall- perhaps someone can find it elsewhere on the internet. The article states that unvaccinated people were 11 times more likely to die of Covi-19 : this is reported by the CDC

"A second study showed the Moderna coronavirus vaccine was moderately more effective in preventing hospitalizations than its counterpart from Phizer and J&J-that assessment was based on the largest U.S. study to date of the real-world effectivenss
of all three vaccines, involving about 32,000 patients seen in hospital ER departments
and urgent care clinics across nine states from June through early August."

Unruly passengers kicked off JetBlue flight to SoCal after mask argument

SAN DIEGO (KABC) -- Two passengers were kicked off a JetBlue flight from Florida to Southern California after refusing to wear masks and when one became physically aggressive toward airline employees.

Video filmed by another passenger shows a man arguing loudly with crew members, cursing and at one point pushing them.
The Sept. 8 flight was scheduled to fly from Ft. Lauderdale to San Diego. The man and woman were removed before takeoff.

JetBlue says they will be banned from flying the airline again.
On Thursday, federal officials said they are doubling the fines for people who break the rules requiring masks on airplanes, as well as trains and public transit.

First-time offenders would face a potential fine of $500 to $1,000 and second-time offenders could pay $1,000 to $3,000 under rules that the Transportation Security Administration said will go into effect Friday.

"If you break the rules, be prepared to pay," President Joe Biden said.

No point in knocking your head against a wall!!!! Seems like there are just a significant number of people that do not get the message--they either refuse because of obstinance, politics or because they are just dense and ignorant. Take your pick!
This patient ended up telling the doctor today that he didn’t believe COVID was real.

Just had a patient here for a physical, and he said, “I can’t believe you wear a mask all day. Doesn’t it fog up your glasses?”

Me: “It keeps me from getting COVID so I happy to wear it.”

Patient: “So you are one of the lucky ones that hasn’t gotten COVID?”

Me: “It’s not luck, I protect myself so I don’t get it.”

Patient, shaking his head. “I just don’t know about those COVID numbers anyway.”

Me: “The hospital is completely full of COVID patients right now, and on diversion”

Patient: “Well, they say kids don’t get it.”

At that point I figured I should stop wasting my time with the guy :rolleyes:

Seems like that was strike four for him!

Gov. DeSantis' ban on mask mandates in Florida schools reinstated for now (nbcnews.com)

The most recent decision in the back-and-forth legal battle means schools can be penalized for enforcing mask mandates.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis' administration was granted approval Friday to keep in place an order banning mask mandates in schools while the measure moves through an appeals court.

"When a public officer or agency seeks appellate review, which is the case here, there is a presumption under the rule in favor of a stay, and the stay should be vacated only for the most compelling of reasons," said an order from the 1st District Court of Appeal. "Given the presumption against vacating the automatic stay, the stay should have been left in place pending appellate review."

The most recent decision in the back-and-forth legal battle means schools can be penalized for enforcing mask mandates to prevent the spread of Covid-19...

This patient ended up telling the doctor today that he didn’t believe COVID was real.

Yeah, the branch. of my family who didn't believe COVID is real is having a funeral tomorrow. Of a 60-year-old "too strong to die" and "COVID isn't real anyway).

So now, they have a slightly different version (full of religiosity this time). COVID may exist now (at least half of them are privately admitting this - particularly the man's three adult children, who were the center of his world). But vaccines don't work and besides (insert theological reasoning).

And I just found out that my sister is a vaccine hesitator...despite having a doctorate in a field of medicine. She's wearing a mask and socially distancing (which she can do fairly well at her job), so she's "waiting with faith" that this will be over soon. Her daughter is going to a mask-free private high school, starting this week, though. I worry so much about them.

I'm also watching some older doctors just fling their hands up and retire. Not. Worth. It. Any. More. Exhausted, burned out, DONE. Their patients are now abandoned, can't get refills etc. But doctors are entitled to quit if they wish, just like anyone else.

Dr. O (again/still) has strong words about schools and kids. He wants kids, his grandkids, back in schools as much as anyone, but discusses the problems with CDC guidance, 3 foot distance, etc. Too much to paraphrase, but worth a listen in my opinion:

‎The Osterholm Update: COVID-19 on Apple Podcasts

Episode 68: Recalculating Risk
Osterholm Update: COVID-19
September 9, 2021
This week, Dr. Osterholm provides insight on the state of the pandemic in the US and internationally, the importance of keeping children safer as schools go back in session, and the risk of outdoor events for fully vaccinated individuals.

Whoa! Hate mail alert ..I just got an alert to schedule my flu shot at Costco next week. Great plan. So, I thought I would forward this to people...wow, lots of negativity about just getting a flu shot.

Is this an episode of "Twilight Zone"?

How are the vaccination clinics going? Are people receiving their boosters in 3-4 weeks, or do they have a longer wait between vaccines, as we did in Canada until our vaccine supply was meeting the demand.

No, we seem to be vaccinating people with their 2nd shot on schedule.
And more and more places are offering vaccinations now.
I went into my local suburban chemist/pharmacy the other day, and I notice that they now do covid vaccines also (they have always done flu shots).

I think that maybe the supply is enough now that we don't have to hold off on 2nd shots. (Or enough supply is scheduled to come in.)
41.1% fully vaccinated, 66.2% with at least one shot - as of 9th September.

https://www.health.gov.au/sites/def...-vaccine-rollout-update-10-september-2021.pdf

No, we seem to be vaccinating people with their 2nd shot on schedule.
And more and more places are offering vaccinations now.
I went into my local suburban chemist/pharmacy the other day, and I notice that they now do covid vaccines also (they have always done flu shots).

I think that maybe the supply is enough now that we don't have to hold off on 2nd shots. (Or enough supply is scheduled to come in.)
41.1% fully vaccinated, 66.2% with at least one shot - as of 9th September.

https://www.health.gov.au/sites/def...-vaccine-rollout-update-10-september-2021.pdf

That number will click up quite quickly. I was amazed how fast we were able to vaccinate people. But, like the 20:80 rule, the last 20% are taking 80% of the time, and racking up 80% of the cost.

That number will click up quite quickly. I was amazed how fast we were able to vaccinate people. But, like the 20:80 rule, the last 20% are taking 80% of the time, and racking up 80% of the cost.

Yes, I am a believer in the 80/20 rule also, very applicable in most things.

I think this may be why we plan to slowly lift various restrictions when we hit 80% fully vaccinated.
Travel and most things will resume for vaccinated people ... the unvaccinated will get left behind.

(They are saying that masks and limits at large events will be the last things to go.)

What does one do? Simply sigh, roll one's eyes and walk away, or take vast amounts of time to educate one person at a time, who may or may not understand?

BBM
As universities and colleges in the United States open for the fall semester, even those institutions requiring masks and vaccinations are grappling with unexpectedly high rates of Covid.

In one high-profile example, the University of Delaware sent a message to faculty this week, instructing them not to let students know if their classmates test positive for Covid-19 even though cases are rising on campus. :eek:

‘I’m nervous’: US colleges wrestle with Covid safety as fall semester begins

I don't think it necessarily "figures" but there is no reason immigrants should not be vaccinated. It would only make sense to do so.

It sounds as if many of them are getting vaccinated. Possibly about 4/5ths of them.
(I agree that vaccination should be a requirement of entry.)

ICE confirmed the figures obtained by CBS News, saying that over 20,000 vaccinations had been administered to detainees as of August 8. The agency said 5,958 immigrants in ICE detention facilities have refused vaccination as of August 6.
ICE ramps up vaccination of immigrants in U.S. custody, but thousands have refused

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77