Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 *road trip w/bf*

Status
Not open for further replies.
This “van life” thing is huge on Instagram these days. A zillion young couples doing this, uploading their vids & images, seeking to portray an idyllic carefree life of travel- hoping for sponsorship/income.

Do we know which one owns the van? Who was funding the trip at these gas prices? So many pieces to this story. Imo
I wondered that as well. I would guess either they are using cash or her bfs credit/debit card since they didn’t state her card was last used at such and such but then again a lot they aren’t telling

Very concerning!
She’s adorable and seems to be enjoying life!

sooooo boyfriend is not missing? But cannot be reached for comments? Or is he missing too??
Idk but from the wording it sounds as if bf is not missing-I would think they’d be posting pics of both of them asking ppl to be on the lookout or come forward if they’ve seen them & all that plus they have recovered the van.
It is possible the bf was found deceased in the van but I don’t think so or they would have mentioned it-they’d have no reason not to.
It’s def an odd case so far and they are keeping everything very close to the vest

Van-lifer, 22, disappears after cross-country trip to Yellowstone with her fiancée | Daily Mail Online

Sept 13, 2021

A New York woman who was traveling across the United States with her fiancée, while living out of a van, has been reported missing after he returned home without her.

Gabby Petito, 22, of Blue Point, New York, was last seen on August 24 when she checked out of a hotel with her fiancée, Brian Laundrie in Salt Lake City, Utah.

The following day she made her final call to her family, telling them that she and Laundrie had traveled to Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming.

[..]

The pair were heading for Yellowstone National Park but Petito never made it.

Laundrie has since returned to his Florida home with their couple's 2012 Ford Transit van and has reportedly not been cooperating with investigators, according to her family. They also claimed he has hired an attorney.

47838555-9984283-Gabby_Petito_of_Blue_Point_and_her_boyfriend_Brian_Laundrie_set_-m-9_1631506658195.jpg

'[My daughter] was last physically seen on August 24th when she checked out of a hotel with her boyfriend salt Lake City, Utah,' said Gabby Petito's father, Joseph Petito, on Facebook. '[Brian Laundrie] has since returned home and retained a lawyer, and is uncooperative currently.'

More details at the newslink

Last edited:
Idk but from the wording it sounds as if bf is not missing-I would think they’d be posting pics of both of them asking ppl to be on the lookout or come forward if they’ve seen them & all that plus they have recovered the van.
It is possible the bf was found deceased in the van but I don’t think so or they would have mentioned it-they’d have no reason not to.
It’s def an odd case so far and they are keeping everything very close to the vest
No, the bf (Laundrie) returned from Wyoming to Florida without Gabby. Bf and the van are fine in Florida. He's lawyered up and not talking.

Gabby's family is desperate to find her but does not want anybody looking for her with the van because she's obviously not with the van.

Missing woman disappears after road trip with boyfriend as mom reveals message to authorities

Schmidt said that Petito and her boyfriend started their road trip in early July, traveling first from Florida to New York. They then left New York and eventually got to Salt Lake City, Utah, in August, but were leaving the city amid heavy wildfire smoke.

The couple stopped in Grand Teton National Park on Aug. 25, Petito's last known location, before a planned trip to Yellowstone, Schmidt said.

Petito's boyfriend could not immediately be reached for comment on Sunday.

Is it possible she was left behind after a fight and only when the boyfriend returned home that he realised she was missing?
I know that they are young (23) but who in their right mind would leave their partner stranded 2,500 miles behind someplace in UT or WY and continue driving across the country without them?

Van-lifer, 22, disappears after cross-country trip to Yellowstone with her fiancée | Daily Mail Online

Sept 13, 2021

A New York woman who was traveling across the United States with her fiancée, while living out of a van, has been reported missing after he returned home without her.

Gabby Petito, 22, of Blue Point, New York, was last seen on August 24 when she checked out of a hotel with her fiancée, Brian Laundrie in Salt Lake City, Utah.

The following day she made her final call to her family, telling them that she and Laundrie had traveled to Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming.

[..]

The pair were heading for Yellowstone National Park but Petito never made it.

Laundrie has since returned to his Florida home with their couple's 2012 Ford Transit van and has reportedly not been cooperating with investigators, according to her family. They also claimed he has hired an attorney.

47838555-9984283-Gabby_Petito_of_Blue_Point_and_her_boyfriend_Brian_Laundrie_set_-m-9_1631506658195.jpg

'[My daughter] was last physically seen on August 24th when she checked out of a hotel with her boyfriend salt Lake City, Utah,' said Gabby Petito's father, Joseph Petito, on Facebook. '[Brian Laundrie] has since returned home and retained a lawyer, and is uncooperative currently.'

More details at the newslink
Oh crapola, here we go again...
:0(

I know that they are young (23) but who in their right mind would leave their partner stranded 2,500 miles behind someplace in UT or WY and continue driving across the country without them?
Maybe they had a fight and she told him she'd find her own way home so he drives off and leaves her there. <modsnip> Perhaps he drove off to cool down, then he drove back to where she was after an hour or so but cant find her and just presumes she was picked up by someone else? He gets home, he's asked where she is and he freaks out and gets a lawyer? I don't think at all that she was murdered, or that he killed her by accident. Why return home?

Last edited by a moderator:
We can speculate about what did not happen.
What did not happen is a break-up type argument in a safe place, or even out in nature, followed by them going their separate ways, because in such situations, you cooperate with law enforcement (LE). You turn over your devices, vehicle, answer questions for as long as it takes.
Not cooperating is huge.

Poor Gabby had her while life ahead of her, and from the sounds of it, she had dreams of a future with someone she trusted.

All just my opinions.

Police Searching For 22-Year-Old Missing Long Island Woman

9/12/21

BLUE POINT, NY — A 22-year-old Blue Point woman who was on a road trip out -of-state was reported missing by her family on Saturday, Suffolk police said.

Gabrielle Petito, 22, was traveling in a white 2012 Ford Transit van, which had the Florida license plate QFTG03, "with a companion when she stopped communicating with friends and family," Suffolk police said.

Petito's family told detectives that they were in contact with her during the last week of August, police said, adding that before the last communication, Petito "is believed to have been in Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming."
[..]

Schmidt told Fox that she could not "say much, but she's no longer with the van. I don't want to say anything more than that, but for people looking for her, I want them to look for her now, not look for that van anymore."

The van Petito was traveling in has since been recovered, police said.

What is an attempt to locate call?

"A spokesperson for the Jackson Police Department said that an "attempt to locate" call was recently filed for Petito.

Missing woman disappears after road trip with boyfriend as mom reveals message to authorities

I see the code "ATL" exists on a police call list so I think it must be different or a supplement to a missing person report.

Perhaps attempt to locate is where police try to make contact with the last known person GP was seen with and attempt to track her down, and/or leave a message with that person for GP to contact police or her mother.

I think GP's mom is probably going through the exercise with police on whether or not she's voluntarily missing. Sorry, I don't think this is going to end well. :(

Well, IMO this won't have a happy ending, I'm afraid :(:eek:

Sadly, I don't know if they will even be able to find her - I mean she literally could be anywhere. I wonder if anyone at Grand Teton remembered seeing them hiking or anything. Where were they supposedly staying while in GT? Or was it just a day trip stop and then on to Yellowstone that same day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23