SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would not at all assume they were financed. I would assume they were paid in cash.

Didn't we also hear that at least his vehicle was owned by the law company?

The SUV was among two vehicles police discovered at the Colleton County estate on June 7. Both vehicles, the 2021 Chevrolet Suburban and a 2019 Chevrolet Silverado, are owned by the Peters, Murdaugh, Parker, Eltzroth & Detrick law firm based in Hampton.

https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article252975148.html

Not if you’re trying to dispose of evidence, as was done in the Vallow/Daybell case. JMO.
Yes well to the law and public perception, burning bodies in the back yard then cementing a patio over them is completely different from having an autopsy performed then having a body cremated at a funeral home. However, the Murdaughs are very aware of the law and of public perception so when you have influence over the local coroner it might not be as completely different as we think.

It’s clear as day to me…at least “For God sakes, Paul, […] not to get involved.” It would be helpful to tone down the voice of that brash operator in the audio, but I don’t know how to do that.
But don’t forget, this 911 call was only released after LE had gone through and redacted critical elements within so why if that’s what AM said to PM , would it be left in the transcript for joe public to hear? With respect to your opinion by the way.

While that may be what AM has communicated to his lawyer, AM could have also diverted money from trust accounts held for clients, which would definitely allow for larger scale misappropriations.

As long as he ensured that the accounts held enough money to make their required scheduled distributions, the clients would not be any the wiser, and it would be up to the firm to catch the misappropriation.

I am thinking that the juggling game described above is a definite possibility.

I don't think, however, that it could be performed long term with out dropping a ball (failing to make the pay out to the expecting client, or running out of firm money to make timely transfers).

Given the probable short term run of a juggling game centered on embezzling client's money, the stated losses of 10 million still seem exaggerated given what type of lawsuits and the volume.

CSX (favorite corporate target) complained of an inflated, machine driven, 300K pay out instead of the standard 100K. Another CSX case was a run of the mill "hurt my back" claim, as opposed to a "failed warning lights- train hits car" claim.

Though the local machine probably bumped up the settlement on the back hurt claim as well, and the firm could add other corporate back hurts or wrist hurts to local car wrecks, it still seems a long way to go to a cash flow capable of supporting a 10 million dollar, short term embezzlement given the nature of the claims.

Last edited:
Murdaugh has since entered rehab because "the murders of my wife and son have caused an incredibly difficult time in my life. I have made a lot of decisions that I truly regret."

South Carolina deputies retract incorrect statement in shooting of attorney Alex Murdaugh

Snipped from above paragraph

I have made a lot of decisions that I truly regret."

???

Decisions about what? Involving court cases? Telling the kids in hospital to not talk? Decision to steal money from the firm?

Decisions Decisions

But don’t forget, this 911 call was only released after LE had gone through and redacted critical elements within so why if that’s what AM said to PM , would it be left in the transcript for joe public to hear? With respect to your opinion by the way.

I know…that was why I posted it and asked for opinions. I thought I must be hearing it wrong…I know LE redacted obvious parts of the conversation like when Alex tells the dispatcher he is getting a gun for protection and then later when the dispatcher tells him to put his gun down when the police arrive…but I thought perhaps because it is so difficult to hear with the dispatcher talking over him, maybe they hadn’t realized what he was saying.

Last edited:
I too have wondered whether the dogs were normally kept in the home when family is home, and routinely put to bed in the kennel at 9 PM.

I would like to know the dogs' routine, and the 24 hours cell phone communication prior to murders for Margaret and Paul

I think they walked from the house to the kennel.

View attachment 312319

Only problem with a hit is that more people are involved. Is Alex that dumb?
I'm I read somewhere AM was staying at the Moselle. If Im remembering that correctly and in fact he and MM were living separately (her at Edisto beach house) then I think MM didn't go up to the house. Whether PM was in the house, idk but I just don't think MM was.

From the few pictures we've seen of the Moselle property the day or two after the murders, it's hard to see just how many vehicles there were in that area of the kennels. "Her" so-called car (we only have AM's lawyer saying AM was driving MM's car, the Mercedes) could have been there? Are we certain only one vehicle, the Suburban, was towed from the property by LE?

Last edited:
I’ve considered posting these thoughts several times over the past few years. So while this is in response to the above post on The Murdough case, it applies to many, many other cases too.

I am by no means defending the Murdoughs, but having been close to a nationally covered crime I’m not surprised the brothers spoke. To say family members, loved ones and key witnesses are inundated w/press inquiries is an understatement. Phones ring constantly w/calls from reporters and “producers” asking for interviews. To the point where people feel forced to relinquish their phone to someone else to answer. Worse yet, the vultures show up at their workplace, their home and even their kid’s soccer practice. The disruption caused by the press would be hard for anyone to bear even on a good day. Fortunately I haven’t been the target of press attention personally, but people I love have and it blew me away.

To fully understand why someone would publicly comment I think it’s important to first realize for the people who solicit interviews, it is their job to persuade people to talk. They do it all day every day and they are very good at it. So when they target a normal person in the midst of THE WORST THING THAT’S EVER HAPPENED it’s not a fair fight.

These people talk to their target with all sorts of empathy, tell them how sorry they are and how horrible it must be. And they always apologize for bothering them. During that conversation they try to determine what is most important to the reeling soul. During that nicey nice part of the conversation they determine which tried and true persuasive argument(s) to use, including but not limited to:

1). I know having the press hound you is disturbing and disruptive for you and your family, especially your kids/elderly Mom/sick spouse/pregnant sister/cat. It’s not even safe. I know one woman who [insert press frenzy horror story here]. Everyone wants to be first to interview you. Trust me, if you do just one interview the press will stop hounding you. And you should do it w/us because I understand how hard this is and ... [doesn’t matter what they say next. It’s almost certainly a lie].

2). But you want to find them/catch whoever did this/find justice for [the deceased], right? I know you’d feel terrible if they hurt someone else, wondering if you could have done something to stop them. If you talk to us it will encourage anyone with information to come forward and give LE the break they need.

3. This is a big story and lots is going to be said whether you talk or not. It’s terrible what happens to people who don’t talk. The press and internet trolls make up all sorts or lies. I’ve seen people’s entire life be ruined because they didn’t speak out. [insert scary story here]. If you talk to us you can let the world know the truth and get ahead of rumors and trolls.

4. I don’t understand why you don’t want to help [dead loved one or incarcerated family member]?

5. You know, if you stay silent people will assume you think [spouse/sibling/child/friend] is guilty. You don’t want that, do you?

5. By talking you will help victims of other crimes feel less alone. [ insert tragic suicide story here].

6. It’s been proven people like you who talk about their story heal faster and have less long-term issues/PTSD. And your family will have those same benefits even if it’s just you that talks.

7. a) I know funerals are expensive or b)I hope you’re all able to be together and support each other during this difficult time. No? I’m so sorry. [insert thoughtful pause here]. You know, our integrity means everything to us and we’d never pay for an interview but everyone here feels terrible for you and maybe I can a)arrange a donation to the funeral home. b) use our air miles to fly Aunt Sara and little Joey to city x so they can be with the family. I bet we can even use points to put them up in a hotel.

8) etc.

Whatever argument they choose they include “believe me. I’ve seen this so many times and know it will help people come forward/help find them/make people understand/make you feel better. Trust me. I want to help”.

As time passes friends/family are able to think more clearly and the press frenzy dissipates. So I do wonder about interviews given months or years after an event. But I’ll never question why anyone talks to the press shortly after a crime occurs. Chances are they don’t even know why themselves.

Finally, I can’t finish without giving a nod to those reporters who don’t approach landing an interview as a sporting event. I’ll never forget the local reporter who approached us apologetically as we were leaving CW’s sentencing hearing, asking if we’d like to comment. When we shook our heads she quietly said “I understand” and was gone. She’s one of the good ones and I’m sure there are many others like her out there. Bless their hearts.

Excellent post. Not to disrespect some of the youtube folks that we watch interview folks but I've seen this in action. I would think it's very similar to the good cop/bad cop method that LE uses too. I remember watching them in action when they released the videos of LE interviewing CW.

Hmmmmm.....guess we will be seeing "stay tuned, more to come".

endured a Labor Day weekend meltdown of Biblical proportions. Murdaugh’s weekend featured a roadside shooting, admissions of opioid addiction, a helicopter flight to the hospital, a subsequent trip to rehab, rumors of multiple mistresses

Late last week, a source who spoke confidentially with one of the defense attorneys working the Murdaugh case reached out to me. According to this source, the attorney described the unraveling saga as something akin to “an episode of Ozark.” That’s a reference to the Netflix hit in which a financial advisor from Chicago (portrayed by Jason Bateman) drags his family against its will to rural Missouri – where they become key cogs in a massive money laundering operation at the behest of a Mexican drug cartel.

Another source close to the same attorney claimed they made a similar reference earlier last week comparing the Murdaugh case to Ozark.

Meanwhile, late last week an ominous email began making its way through South Carolina legal circles. I have been warned against quoting directly from this message, but it hints in no uncertain terms that the embezzlement allegations leveled by PMPED against Alex Murdaugh are just the beginning of a much larger scandal – one that is going to metastasize far beyond the family, the firm and the fourteenth circuit.

The email referenced compromised judges, financial institutions, law firms and elected officials – and intimated that the tentacles of corruption reached far beyond the borders South Carolina.

A source who forwarded the email to me spoke of “genuine panic” within the state’s legal community, adding that “while they may not know it yet, everyone in this state knows someone, perhaps many, in severe legal jeopardy right now.”

Local sources have offered similarly dire predictions.
“If Alex Murdaugh and his family goes down, there’s a lot of people – maybe a whole system – going down with them,” one Hampton native told me on Saturday. “There’s nobody who didn’t want to be on the Murdaughs’ payroll.”
What a loaded story this was huh!? It sure paints a picture of a WHOLE lot yet to be talked about. Just a whole lot of corruption with God knows who involved. The Feds have to be in on this all now, IMO

Perhaps. The properties were transferred Dec 20, 2016. I wonder when the embezzlement started. I wonder why Margaret requested an audit of family finances when most of the property was in her name.
Upthread there were posts about a significant amount of real estate taxes apparently going unpaid recently. Maybe that had something to do with it. JMO.

I know…that was why I posted it and asked for opinions. I thought I must be hearing it wrong…I know LE redacted obvious parts of the conversation like when Alex tells the dispatcher he is getting a gun for protection and then later when the dispatcher tells him to put his gun down when the police arrive…but I thought perhaps because it is so difficult to hear with the dispatcher talking over him, maybe they hadn’t realized what he was saying.
So glad you posted your thoughts on that. Awesome sleuthing! JMO.

Upthread there were posts about a significant amount of real estate taxes apparently going unpaid recently. Maybe that had something to do with it. JMO.
It was like $3k total. That's chump change to these people so I would chalk it up to oversight or if I were feeling particularly suspicious I might wonder if the Murdaughs were used to "little favors" from local offices like property taxes just being written off and maybe for some reason those favors stopped happening.

What a loaded story this was huh!? It sure paints a picture of a WHOLE lot yet to be talked about. Just a whole lot of corruption with God knows who involved. The Feds have to be in on this all now, IMO
I certainly hope to hell that the feds are involved at this point. SLED doesn't exactly have the greatest reputation for investigating officials and at this point I think it's more likely than not that the local authorities are in the Murdaughs' pocket. They seem to only be doing enough to appear to be doing something and notably nothing that directly contradicts the family's statements.

The sheriff will "talk to" the responding officer that reported Alex had no visible injuries and then the report gets retracted? Come on, Roscoe. We're the whole nation watching this crap not The Duke Boys.

MerryB, I had only listened to the AM 911 once. Even though on other cases I've listened numerous times, it was just so difficult with this one for me I never wanted to revisit it.

I just had another listen and I want to tell you I hear it clear as a bell. "For God's sake Paul, why'd you have to get involved" He said it.

Now I have to digest it...with a whole new layer of conviction and thoughts as to what this really means to the case.

At what time did you hear this in the call? I need to listen to it again. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998