SC SC - Daniel Jay Fools, 20, Sumter, 7 Jan 1984

MadMcGoo

Staff member
Reaction score
NamUs #MP17349
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Daniel “Danny” Jay Fools

upload_2021-2-8_10-46-32.jpegupload_2021-2-8_10-46-50.jpegupload_2021-2-8_10-47-10.jpegupload_2021-2-8_10-47-55.jpeg
Daniel, tattoo, Daniel in late 1983, Daniel’s identical twin

Date of Last Contact: January 7, 1984
Missing From: Sumter, South Carolina
Race / Ethnicity: White / Caucasian
Sex: Male
Missing Age: 20 Years
Height: 5' 10" (70 Inches)
Weight: 150 - 180 lbs
Hair Color: Brown (length - to ears)
Facial Hair Description: Dark brown mustache and goatee
Eye Color: Brown (wore eyeglasses)
Scar/mark: Stomach - quarter-sized birthmark
Tattoos: 1) right upper arm - Skull with two crossed spud wrenches - with "Iron Worker" underneath, (see Images) 2) left upper arm - cobra snake with wording.

Investigating Agencies

Oklahoma Office of the Chief Medical Examiner Eastern Division
Angela Berg, Anthropologist
(918) 295-3400
Office of the Chief Medical Examiner
Agency Case Number 1295000

Angela Sandersfield, Law Enforcement

Last edited:

His older brother’s obituary:

Danny’s birth record:

Name: Daniel J Fools
Birth Date: 21 Feb 1963
Mother's Maiden Name: Clarkson
Birth County: Los Angeles

Last edited:

This article is difficult to follow.
Could someone explain it clearly, because my brain doesn't follow.
When was his name seen on an apartment mailbox? Could that not be followed-up on?
And the yellow brick house - seems that would be easy to locate if you know the neighborhood but maybe not.

Last edited by a moderator:
When was his name seen on an apartment mailbox? Could that not be followed-up on?
And the yellow brick house - seems that would be easy to locate if you know the neighborhood but maybe not.
There are so many locations and people mentioned in the article, but not a good timeline of events. I couldn’t find any other articles about his disappearance. It seems like he was mostly associated with Oklahoma and California, so I’m not sure how his vehicle ended up on SC or what led his brother to Louisiana. Other than the “tip” and the fact that their older brother worked there? Seems like an odd coincidence.

Apparently someone in Louisiana lived next to someone they thought was Danny and that’s where the mailbox comes into play. I guess that person thought Danny had once lived with the people in the yellow house. Which should be relatively easy to find if the witness was familiar with it, and it sounds as if he was.

I don’t know, the story just doesn’t make sense based off of what is in the article.

ETA: The story was written in 1998 and states that the witness believed Danny had lived next to him (where the mailbox was) about 2 years prior. So, the way I read is is that Danny was supposedly living in Louisiana in 1996.

ETA: Oh! I just realized it says he was in the army, stationed at a base about 30 miles from where his vehicle was found.

Last edited:
you are amazing btw the family of Danny is still searching for clues but they had no idea he was listed as a possible person to this skull and do think that it is Danny however the state cannot find what happened to the remains! Can you help maybe find some answers to where they may have gone?

There are so many locations and people mentioned in the article, but not a good timeline of events. I couldn’t find any other articles about his disappearance. It seems like he was mostly associated with Oklahoma and California, so I’m not sure how his vehicle ended up on SC or what led his brother to Louisiana. Other than the “tip” and the fact that their older brother worked there? Seems like an odd coincidence.

Apparently someone in Louisiana lived next to someone they thought was Danny and that’s where the mailbox comes into play. I guess that person thought Danny had once lived with the people in the yellow house. Which should be relatively easy to find if the witness was familiar with it, and it sounds as if he was.

I don’t know, the story just doesn’t make sense based off of what is in the article.

ETA: The story was written in 1998 and states that the witness believed Danny had lived next to him (where the mailbox was) about 2 years prior. So, the way I read is is that Danny was supposedly living in Louisiana in 1996.

ETA: Oh! I just realized it says he was in the army, stationed at a base about 30 miles from where his vehicle was found.
DAnny Jay went to a bar with his brother they got in an argument and two men supposidly followed behing his car was found right at the Lake Marion bridge near in santtee. The family believes the skull found in the lake was that of Danny Jay but adter I talked to the coroner he said he sent them to Newberry and from there they were supposed to send them to USC for facial reconstruction but they have no clue what happpened to the remains. Are there any other possible unidentified remains not listed or confessions from that time? I believe the brother the one that was murdered later may of used the arcticle for diversion just my opinion though. Danny was a really good guy he was in the Military and had only been there a short time and had been staying with his brother. he had a job was a good son and brother and had never been mixed up in the wrong crowd. He had his head on straight and didnt really have any enemies.

NamUs #MP17349
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Daniel “Danny” Jay Fools

View attachment 283228View attachment 283229View attachment 283230View attachment 283231
Daniel, tattoo, Daniel in late 1983, Daniel’s identical twin

Date of Last Contact: January 7, 1984
Missing From: Sumter, South Carolina
Race / Ethnicity: White / Caucasian
Sex: Male
Missing Age: 20 Years
Height: 5' 10" (70 Inches)
Weight: 150 - 180 lbs
Hair Color: Brown (length - to ears)
Facial Hair Description: Dark brown mustache and goatee
Eye Color: Brown (wore eyeglasses)
Scar/mark: Stomach - quarter-sized birthmark
Tattoos: 1) right upper arm - Skull with two crossed spud wrenches - with "Iron Worker" underneath, (see Images) 2) left upper arm - cobra snake with wording.

Investigating Agencies

Oklahoma Office of the Chief Medical Examiner Eastern Division
Angela Berg, Anthropologist
(918) 295-3400
Office of the Chief Medical Examiner
Agency Case Number 1295000

Angela Sandersfield, Law Enforcement

His older brother’s obituary:

Danny’s birth record:

Name: Daniel J Fools
Birth Date: 21 Feb 1963
Mother's Maiden Name: Clarkson
Birth County: Los Angeles
Thank you for these arcticles it has helped the family with possible leads that they were unaware of.

Thank you for these arcticles it has helped the family with possible leads that they were unaware of.
One of the news articles states that the skull was found 3 miles away from where he was. Is that the same location as his car? Because Namus also states that his car was found 3 miles away from him...

I'm surprised that LE dropped the ball this hard. I'm so sorry for the family, I hope they get closure.

One of the news articles states that the skull was found 3 miles away from where he was. Is that the same location as his car? Because Namus also states that his car was found 3 miles away from him...

I'm surprised that LE dropped the ball this hard. I'm so sorry for the family, I hope they get closure.

Danny Jay Fools Car was found a half mile from the skull they actuall found most of the Skeletal remains

Oh wow. If that's the case, this is very likely to be him. How the hell did this get so unnoticed by Law Enforcement. Sad. I truly hope this brings closure for a family that is mourning.

NO h

you are amazing btw the family of Danny is still searching for clues but they had no idea he was listed as a possible person to this skull and do think that it is Danny however the state cannot find what happened to the remains! Can you help maybe find some answers to where they may have gone?

Perhaps family can request the reasons why they ruled the remains out for being Danny?

Can you elaborate on the brother that was murdered?

14 Jan 1985, 1 - The Times and Democrat at Newspapers.com

<modsnip: removed screenshot of article>

From NamUs

Comments- Car was a red 2 door 1983 thunderbird. Good shape - Located about 1 week after disappearance (January 1984). Vehicle reported to law enforcement. - Found off exit 102 of I-95, in an offroad, wooded location, 3 miles from where he resided. - no physical signs of a struggle. Hood was up, battery dead, car out of gas, keys on top of car, eyeglasses in the road, drivers side door closed, passenger door opened.

Well the SKeleton was recovered it was at the University of South Carolina and one other one are being tested right now for a possible match. The skull was actually the first in SC in 1995 to be used for clay facial recognition it was posted only once on the paper and I was able to recover it

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back