Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boyfriend of missing Long Island woman, Gabby Petito, issues statement through lawyer - ABC7 New York (abc7ny.com)

"This is an extremely difficult time for both the Petito family and the Laundrie family.

"I understand that a search has been organized for Miss Petito in or near Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming. On behalf of the Laundrie family it is our hope that the search for Miss Petito is successful and that Miss Petito is re-united with her family.

"On the advice of counsel the Laundrie family is remaining in the background at this juncture and will have no further comment."

Wow, that is the statement? They could have said anything, and that is how they chose to word it. It's equivalent to saying, "good luck in your endeavors." So impersonal.

I get hiring a lawyer whether you are guilty or innocent; it just makes sense and is good practice. What I don't get is is how after a 2.5-year relationship where GB lived with BL and his parents, you wouldn't want to do everything in your power to help find her even if you were worried about being accused of something, even if you had a fight and broke up and are worried how it all might look?

Another thing we learned today that is even more concerning is that GB's mom tried to contact both BL and his mother, and they wouldn't speak to her. I sure wish we could add to our timeline when exactly BL arrived home. I hope and think that LE knows that information by now, which is why they are basing their search perimeters where they are.

This wasn't a handshake deal though. They were engaged, planning a life (and a cross country trip) together. They both put in time and effort, most likely money, into the whole thing. Speculating on the ownership seems irrelevant given the circumstances. He wasn't her buddy or a friend, according to her family, and the guy then interviewed (Jay Foster), they were equally involved. Not being married might seem more of a technicality at this point. Maybe she was sole owner on paper, him arriving home without her seems more important than whether he was on the paperwork.

Let's say only she was on the paperwork, the FBI is processing the van now. Are they worried about whether he was on the title?

Didn't she also refer to it as "our van"? They've both mentioned downsizing "our lives" to fit into it.

All I'm saying is that, in my opinion, it's irrelevant to the bigger picture at the moment. Not that it doesn't matter, but that maybe it's the least of anyone's worries right now, especially as it's already been seized by LE. Whether he's on the title, he's still spent his time and money into it; and if they split up and it was ever decided to sell it he has every right to say he's owed X amount for what he's done for it.

For the sake of argument, IF a crime has been committed against Gabby, the issue probably wouldn't be that he stole her van but that she was harmed in some way. It seems that a potential theft of the van, or even charging him with grand theft auto, would be a lesser charge compared to a case of him harming her. If a crime has NOT been committed and they went their separate ways and she said take the van, as much as it being a really bad move on his part and leaving her alone, there's still less of an issue regarding title ownership as she gave him permission. Given what little is known right now the only issue where title ownership of this van would be significant is if he tried to sell it or get rid of it.
Were they planning a life together? Or was she the only one planning a future for them? He proposed to her a little over a year ago, but no wedding date or marriage. Did she even have an engagement ring? (Not that such things mattered to her.) If her mom has shown reluctance to say they're engaged, maybe the mom didn't see signs he was serious.

We still don't know who financed these trips (two cross-country road trips). We only know she bought the van. We don't know what jobs they had to finance themselves. You'd think some basic info like their jobs or vocations would become available fairly soon, to fill out the personal picture, like so-called "human interest" stories do.

Of course she called it "our" van; she was starry-eyed about him, and was posting pix of baby clothes and such on her IG (if reports on this thread are accurate). I'd be more inclined to trust the mom's phrasing about the van, as "her" (Gabby's) van, as more representative of reality. But maybe that's just me.

This wasn't a handshake deal though. They were engaged, planning a life (and a cross country trip) together. They both put in time and effort, most likely money, into the whole thing. Speculating on the ownership seems irrelevant given the circumstances. He wasn't her buddy or a friend, according to her family, and the guy then interviewed (Jay Foster), they were equally involved. Not being married might seem more of a technicality at this point. Maybe she was sole owner on paper, him arriving home without her seems more important than whether he was on the paperwork.

Let's say only she was on the paperwork, the FBI is processing the van now. Are they worried about whether he was on the title?

Didn't she also refer to it as "our van"? They've both mentioned downsizing "our lives" to fit into it.

All I'm saying is that, in my opinion, it's irrelevant to the bigger picture at the moment. Not that it doesn't matter, but that maybe it's the least of anyone's worries right now, especially as it's already been seized by LE. Whether he's on the title, he's still spent his time and money into it; and if they split up and it was ever decided to sell it he has every right to say he's owed X amount for what he's done for it.

For the sake of argument, IF a crime has been committed against Gabby, the issue probably wouldn't be that he stole her van but that she was harmed in some way. It seems that a potential theft of the van, or even charging him with grand theft auto, would be a lesser charge compared to a case of him harming her. If a crime has NOT been committed and they went their separate ways and she said take the van, as much as it being a really bad move on his part and leaving her alone, there's still less of an issue regarding title ownership as she gave him permission. Given what little is known right now the only issue where title ownership of this van would be significant is if he tried to sell it or get rid of it.

If he took the van without her permission and her name is on the car as owner, that's theft. Here at WS, we tend to be concerned about any criminal aspect of a missing person case. Barry Morphew is accused of several other things besides just killing his wife.

For a cross-country trip, just in case anyone gets themselves in this position, if you're going to drive someone else's vehicle (if that's what happened), always be sure and get them to text you permission - otherwise, you can definitely find yourself under inspection (certain states more than others - and Utah is one of the states where people with non-Utah plates get stopped and questioned quite a bit, IME).

So, I disagree that the only way that a crime would be committed is if someone tried to sell or get rid of the van (that's clearly illegal, if you don't own the van in the first place; being in possession of a van without the owner's permission is another issue).

When it comes out of impound (if it ever does), I assume LE will transfer it to the legal owner. Parents would inherit GP's van unless she had a will leaving it to someone else and if no evidence of her being alive can be found soon, parents can file for guardianship over GP's assets...

Referring to something as "ours" doesn't make legal ownership "ours," unless the title so indicates (and perhaps it does).

I'm confused about the posts I'm seeing about GP's Instagram, and how her posts and photos are not by her and/or being edited after she was last in seen or in contact with family.

From what I can see, her last post about Halloween was dated 8/25.

There are 7 photos associated with the Halloween post.

I'm not familiar with any issue on Instagram that prevents a user from posting saved photos that were taken on an earlier date. For example, it's believed that Monarch Mural in the background of Gabby's photos is located in Ogden.

What difference does that make if she uploaded pictures taken of herself taken before 8/25? As far as I can see, the photos are not duplicates. It seems she just did not get around to sharing the Ogden photos until 8/25.

Please correct my understanding of Instagram if incorrect. Thanks.

Login • Instagram

Another thing we learned today that is even more concerning is that GB's mom tried to contact both BL and his mother, and they wouldn't speak to her. I sure wish we could add to our timeline when exactly BL arrived home. I hope and think that LE knows that information by now, which is why they are basing their search perimeters where they are.
But isn't that consistent with their behavior toward the press and LE so far? Presumably on the advice of counsel? Anything he, or they, would say to GP's mom could end up in an FBI file. LE has been in touch with Gabby's mom from the start. BL's lawyer knows this. Connect the dots. Mum's the word, per their lawyer.

After we released our podcast episode about the case
Gabby's family sent is this statement:

"The Schmidt and Petito family are going through the worst moments of their lives. Their beautiful twenty-two year old daughter is missing and the one person that can help find Gabby refuses to help. Brian Laundrie was traveling with Gabby in the Grand Teton – Yellowstone area. They were traveling together in Gabby’s 2012 Ford Transit van. That is where we believe Gabby was last seen.
Brian is refusing to tell Gabby’s family where he last saw her. Brian is also refusing to explain why he left Gabby all alone and drove her van to Florida. These are critical questions that require immediate answers.
The Schmidt and Petito family beg the Laundrie family to not “remain in the background” but to help find who Brian referred to as the love of his life. How does Brian stay in the background when he is the one person that knows where Gabby is located?
The Schmidt and Petito family implore Brian to come forward and at least tell us if we are looking in the right area
."

Wow. *Incredibly* damning, imo. For so long they weren't allowed to say anything, they wouldn't comment on BL returning alone in the van.

I'm confused about the posts I'm seeing about GP's Instagram, and how her posts and photos are not by her and/or being edited after she was last in seen or in contact with family.

I'm not familiar with any issue on Instagram that prevents a user from posting saved photos that were taken on an earlier date. For example, it's believed that Monarch Mural in the background of Gabby's photos is located in Ogden.

What difference does that make if she uploaded pictures taken of herself taken before 8/25? As far as I can see, the photos are not duplicates. It seems she just did not get around to sharing the Ogden photos until 8/25.

Login • Instagram

The only real significance with her uploading photos of her on 25th August prior to that date is: if the last day her mum spoke to her on the phone was 25th, was this photo uploaded after - was she technically "missing" at the point of upload, which may indicate the uploader is laying a false trail?

Also, the date of the photo is relevant as it helps us plot their journey on the roadtrip. They stayed in a hotel in Salt Lake city, checking out together on 24th (IIRC), then on 25th GP calls her mum and says she is at Grand Teton National Park - it appears that the mural in Ogden is on the way between those places, it helps build a timeline, to determine when & where she went missing, and also to help corroborate any timeline BL provides if/when he is interviewed

Edit: I keep writing Gabby's initials wrong each time, like BP and GB over and over again. It's GP

"The Schmidt and Petito family are going through the worst moments of their lives. Their beautiful twenty-two year old daughter is missing and the one person that can help find Gabby refuses to help. Brian Laundrie was traveling with Gabby in the Grand Teton – Yellowstone area. They were traveling together in Gabby’s 2012 Ford Transit van. That is where we believe Gabby was last seen.
Brian is refusing to tell Gabby’s family where he last saw her. Brian is also refusing to explain why he left Gabby all alone and drove her van to Florida. These are critical questions that require immediate answers.
The Schmidt and Petito family beg the Laundrie family to not “remain in the background” but to help find who Brian referred to as the love of his life. How does Brian stay in the background when he is the one person that knows where Gabby is located?
The Schmidt and Petito family implore Brian to come forward and at least tell us if we are looking in the right area
."

This is a perfect statement <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Podcast at link if anyone would like to listen

From podcast

"I went and tried to do a deep dive on who this guy is.
On all his social media accounts, there is nothing prior to meeting this young lady."

The boyfriend of a missing Florida woman who reportedly vanished in late August wrote a cryptic post last year about their relationship.

Gabrielle Petito, 22, reportedly left New York around June 17, after traveling from Florida to attend her brother’s high school graduation. Grace told Fox News that from there, Petito and her boyfriend, Brian Laundrie, embarked across the country in a converted camper van, stopping at national parks Utah and Colorado along the way.

According to The Sun, Laundrie wrote in an Instagram post shared last year: “My biggest fear is that one day I’ll wake up and it will have all been a dream, because that is what every second has felt like since the moment we found each other.”

‘Till Death Do Us Part’: Boyfriend of Missing Gabrielle Petito Wrote Cryptic Post Last Year [Reports]

Last edited:

."

Its a powerful and moving statement. There is no excuse for an innocent man not to be helping this investigation and no way to assume nothing but the worst happened to poor Gabby. Honestly as a parent I would not stand by my child evading the truth and not helping LE and the family with investigations.

#BREAKING: Petito and Schmidt family issue statement to help #FindGabby. They are begging #BrianLaundrie to “not remain in the background” but to help find who Brian referred to as the love of his life #GabbyPetito #GabriellePetito @fox5ny
View attachment 312533
https://twitter.com/jodigfox5ny/status/1437882753878474755?s=21

I cannot imagine how frustrating this is. What is going through their minds to not reveal the story to her family? Was there some kind of tension between the BF and GP's family before the trip?

Login • Instagram
I think some believe it wasn’t posted by her since it wasn’t a recent photo. In my opinion though it makes sense that it wasn’t posted the day it was taken because to accumulate followers you need a steady stream of content over a consistent period of time. They were using the trip as a launchpad for their social media platforms. It does nothing for them to post 10 pics at once or 5 pics in one day. Stretching out content makes the most sense for what they were seemingly trying to do.

Another thing we learned today that is even more concerning is that GB's mom tried to contact both BL and his mother, and they wouldn't speak to her. .

In my opinion, Gabby is the victim of foul play.

I don't know why the police don't arrest him for stealing Gabby's van. For a start.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member