Madeleine McCann: German prisoner identified as suspect - #25

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd speculate HCW doesn't want to charge him with such small potatoes as the Messines case (in terms of sentence faced) because that would be quite a climb down from his media splash - likely politically difficult for him.

Behan is interesting, if they actually can make the case. But given they already had a year on this, I do wonder what they really have. Presumably it can't be DNA which would be open and shut.

Was it common Portuguese practice to take swabs in 1999 / 2006 upon a persons arrest/imprisonment?
They certainly took photo's of CB in 1999.

Let’s work through this because it’s interesting. The first question is were swabs taken during his 1999 arrest and 2006 imprisonment? The second question would be, was there a reason to cross check CB’s DNA against The HB and DM rapes? From your follow up post, an automatic check wouldn’t happen because there was no database until 2010.

Do we know if the actual hair from the DM rape was kept or was it the DNA profile extracted from it? He wasn’t convicted for this crime until 2019 but DNA was the crucial piece of evidence.

Obviously I don’t know but given DNA evidence/profile was retained from the DM rape, I think it’s likely it was retained from the HB rape too.

Before everyone gets back on their high horse about Portugal, just a friendly reminder that many western countries are plagued by low clearance rates, and especially untested rape kits

The US being one of the worst offenders.

Spada’s estimate was conservative. Eventually 11,341 untested rape kits were found, some dating back more than 30 years—each one a hermetically sealed testament to the most terrifying minutes of a woman’s life, each one holding evidence that had been swabbed or plucked from the most private parts of her body. And in all likelihood, some microscopic part of her assailant—his DNA, his identity—sat in that kit as well.

An Epidemic of Disbelief

I recently read about a historical Virginia sexual assault case where police refused to do a biological exam. The offender later did a string of sex murders from which DNA was recovered but he was not in any database. Had that original test been done, two women would still be alive.

it's easy to believe our own police forces are better than ones from poorer countries.

But far from a coverup, CB seems to be a fairly standard case where an offender has committed multiple offences down the years and never properly investigated until it's too late.

The german police are just as guilty of that IMO

Obviously I don’t know but given DNA evidence/profile was retained from the DM rape, I think it’s likely it was retained from the HB rape too.

RSBM

Probably. At least the profile. My guess is they lack anything to clearly tie him to it. Wasn't it already reported he wasn't a match for it?

This is the kind of thing that is fast to check. It doesn't take a year.

The problem likely is that his DNA doesn't match any cold cases they have.

If he matched the Behan case, he'd be charged in a hot minute.[/QUOTE]

I am not sure about this. I think if they have a DNA match on the Behan case, he could be charged in a hot minute but there is really no need for HCW to charge him.

IMO whether HCW has the DNA for the Behan case or not, he might as well let CB sweat.

RSBM

Probably. At least the profile. My guess is they lack anything to clearly tie him to it. Wasn't it already reported he wasn't a match for it?

This is the kind of thing that is fast to check. It doesn't take a year.

I haven’t seen that he wasn’t a match. Most reports put him squarely in the frame for it. Here’s a thought, perhaps he saw the video of the Behan attack and copied it with DM! Sick weirdo either way.

Before everyone gets back on their high horse about Portugal, just a friendly reminder that many western countries are plagued by low clearance rates, and especially untested rape kits

The US being one of the worst offenders.

An Epidemic of Disbelief

I recently read about a historical Virginia sexual assault case where police refused to do a biological exam. The offender later did a string of sex murders from which DNA was recovered but he was not in any database. Had that original test been done, two women would still be alive.

it's easy to believe our own police forces are better than ones from poorer countries.

But far from a coverup, CB seems to be a fairly standard case where an offender has committed multiple offences down the years and never properly investigated until it's too late.

The german police are just as guilty of that IMO

Plenty of cover ups across many forces across the world, apparent on lots of other threads here too, so 'bashing' isn't isolated to the PJ, it's just that this crime was committed in Portugal so will be more apparent on this thread.
Just look at the MET at the moment regarding a few recent & old cases, this isn't narrow mindedness and thinking our forces are better than others.
No force is beyond criticism.

My problem with all of this is instead of reliable quotes from HCW we have 2nd hand claims from Olive Press which don't appear to be on the record comments but stuff vaguely reported as "said by HCW"

Obviously it is common to paraphrase in journalistic voice where things are at, but i find it quite strange how much is attributed to HCW but not as direct quotes.

Plenty of cover ups across many forces across the world, apparent on lots of other threads here too, so 'bashing' isn't isolated to the PJ, it's just that this crime was committed in Portugal so will be more apparent on this thread.
Just look at the MET at the moment regarding a few recent & old cases, this isn't narrow mindedness and thinking our forces are better than others.
No force is beyond criticism.

I just don't see it as a "cover up" but more the institutional failings common to many police forces.

Frequently these old cases are only solved when the offender is caught for something else, they get his DNA and that can be matched back to cold cases - now that they know who he is.

According to dutch media behind a paywall and using my very limited dutch reading skills it looks like, CB has been ruled out in the Carola T. case.

Couldn't find anything in Dutch media about - a rule out-
Haven't searched thoroughly...

However, the Belgium press does have a lot of paywalls/subscriptions.

Perhaps you can post the link?
(to be sure or to try to access the full article)

Couldn't find anything in Dutch media about - a rule out-
Haven't searched thoroughly...

However, the Belgium press does have a lot of paywalls/subscriptions.

Perhaps you can post the link?
(to be sure or to try to access the full article)

I did it via pm because of the restrictions on ws to you and just realised as well, that it was a belgian report, not a dutch one! My bad!

Slightly off subject, think we may of all seen this but on one side off passport it has eye colour and height, not sure what language? It's cmk

Screenshot_20210915_173735_com.duckduckgo.mobile.android.jpg

Here is the first part of the latest case documentary made by BILD, now accessible for everyone.

I hope, subtitles are available in your particular countries.

Anyone able to view this with English subtitles? Thanks

The subtitles are a bit hit and miss...sorry..had to laugh around 8 mins where it says.." the toilet amaral "..!?

Maybe the most honest statement in this case, made by a subtitle!:D

Unfortuneatly i do not know, how often the tabloid will feed the channel. It is a 90 minute documentary. So it should be 7-8 parts of it. I do not know, if the next parts will follow daily, weekly or per month.

But the way i watched the broadcast, it's nothing more than a summary about things we already know, or think we would know, in here. So please do not expect too much of it!

But maybe it keeps the fire burning a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member