CA CA - Barstow, 3 Victims, scattered bones of a Male UP2564, Female UP2565, & Unknown UP2566, Jan’89

MadMcGoo

Staff member
Reaction score
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Date Body Found: January 10, 1989
Location Found: Barstow, San Bernardino County, California
Sex: Male, Female, Undetermined
Race / Ethnicity: Uncertain
Estimated Age Group: Adult - Pre 50
Estimated Age Range (Years): 30-50
Estimated Year of Death: 1988-1989
Estimated PMI: Months
Height/Weight: Cannot Estimate
Hair/Eye Color: Cannot Estimate

Circumstances of Recovery: On January 10, 1989, skeletal remains were found scattered over a wide area of desert near Barstow, CA (80 yards off Irwin Rd., 2.3 miles north of Highway 58). Examination by a forensic anthropologist determines that the remains represent at least two persons: a male designated John Doe #02-89 (Coroner case #89-0443), and a female designated Jane Doe #04-89 (Coroner case #89-0444). A mandible could not be verifiably associated with either, and was designated a separate unidentified remains: Undetermined Doe #01-89 (Coroner case #89-0180). Thus far no DNA profile (STR or mtDNA) have been able to be obtained from either 89-0443 or 89-0444). A mitochondrial profile has been developed from the mandible only (no STR). Dental X-rays will be available for mandible only.

remember another case where a guy said his sister went missing and her bf had never been heard from again, and we thought it may have been that dead couple in ludlow? what if this is them instead?

These are going to be hard to confirm since they only have DNA for one set of remains. Unless they can identify that person and connect the other 2 to them. I thought of Linda and Stephen too but then who is the other person. I also tend to think they traveled (or were taken and met with foul play) north from Stinson Beach, simply because of the cashed travelers checks in Westport.

ETA: I just realized these were found in the same county and Pamela and William… could they be related? Same killer? Neal left after the 1980 murders but the PMI on these three could be longer than what’s estimated.

Last edited:
Could be. Who might the 3rd individual be?

Corinne Anita Hagler – The Charley Project

Corinne's father, Harold L. Hagler, stated that one day in October 1980, he came home from work during his lunch break and found Corinne with her boyfriend, George Garnett, having sexual intercourse. He said he and Corinne argued and he "slapped her around", and then she ran away from home, possibly to go to Texas.

Corinne has never been heard from again. Garnett disappeared at around the same time and he is also still missing; photographs and further information for him are unavailable.

Harold had the carpeting in his home in his house replaced shortly after Corinne disappeared; he said it was stained with fluids from Corinne's sexual encounter with Garnett.

There's been no indication of Corinne's whereabouts since October 1980.

Could be. Who might the 3rd individual be?

Corinne Anita Hagler – The Charley Project

Corinne's father, Harold L. Hagler, stated that one day in October 1980, he came home from work during his lunch break and found Corinne with her boyfriend, George Garnett, having sexual intercourse. He said he and Corinne argued and he "slapped her around", and then she ran away from home, possibly to go to Texas.

Corinne has never been heard from again. Garnett disappeared at around the same time and he is also still missing; photographs and further information for him are unavailable.

Harold had the carpeting in his home in his house replaced shortly after Corinne disappeared; he said it was stained with fluids from Corinne's sexual encounter with Garnett.

There's been no indication of Corinne's whereabouts since October 1980.

It seems glaringly obvious that the dad killed his daughter and her boyfriend in a fit of jealousy. It's not "sexual fluids" on the carpet he removed. He's attempting to demean her.

It seems glaringly obvious that the dad killed his daughter and her boyfriend in a fit of jealousy. It's not "sexual fluids" on the carpet he removed. He's attempting to demean her.
agreed, i speculate the same but he did take off and be gone for several hours so he could have taken them here.

Three sets of remains makes me think of Evangeline Silva, Rebecca Rodriguez, and Kenny Beltram but they went missing in Northern California in '77. There isn't a plausible explanation for them ending up in Southern California.

It says the ”mandible could not be verifiably associated with either” set of remains, but that doesn’t mean the mandible doesn’t belong to either of them, just that it couldn’t be matched. This could very well be the remains of only two people, a man and a woman.

There doesn’t seem to be any of the common identifiers available for John Doe #02-89 and Jane Doe #04-89, so the best starting point would IMO be the mandible as it has DNA. Is mtDNA suitable for geneological research?

Bumping up this complicated case for 2023.

Currently all three remain in NamUs as three separate cases. Can anyone check if there are any rule-outs by now?

IMO we're talking about at least two adults who went missing together in approximately 1988/1989. I would hope at least one has been reported missing by a relative by now, but you never know ...

Bumping up this complicated case for 2023.

Currently all three remain in NamUs as three separate cases. Can anyone check if there are any rule-outs by now?

IMO we're talking about at least two adults who went missing together in approximately 1988/1989. I would hope at least one has been reported missing by a relative by now, but you never know ...

No rule outs on any of the 3 currently.

As stated for all three NamUs cases; "skeletal remains
were found scattered over a wide area of desert"...
"80 yards off Irwin Rd., 2.3 miles north of Highway 58".

That would appear to be actually referencing the road
known as 'Old Highway 58' in our current time, as Irwin Rd
is not near the current California State Route 58 (SR 58).

(California_State_Route_58;
California State Route 58 - Wikipedia
"The eastern terminus was originally at I-15 in northeastern
Barstow. SR 58 was rerouted to I-15 in Barstow south of
the I-40 interchange in c. 2000."..."The former eastern
terminus is now known as 'Old Highway 58'.")

Therefore, using the stated distances from NamUs, the
locale where the remains were found scattered appears
to be within this area;
NETRonline: Historic Aerials - Viewer

It is not stated if the remains were found east or west
of Irwin Rd - probably west, as in that locale west of
Irwin Rd is a long strip of cleared dirt extending westward
about 50 metres and running parallel to, and enterable
from, Irwin Rd.
From the aerial photograph above and from various
Google Maps street views, the long strip seems to have
been used at least since the 1980's to our current time
as some kind of roads department piled stone and heaped
dirt storage area. If the bodies were deposited in the
desert just west of that strip, the person(s) depositing
them could have driven onto that deserted strip, possibly
parked behind a large heap of dirt, and then removed
them from a vehicle out just west into the desert (the
remains having been scattered by the action of e.g.
coyotes and birds thereafter).

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member