Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
"He has rights" ..........I don't get where not talking should be a right when a persons life could be at risk (called immanent danger by OSHA and triggers special treatment)........explain please someone....benefits/ risk please of not saving the life possibly and he gets to hide????
5th amendment to the constitution.

"He has rights" ..........I don't get where not talking should be a right when a persons life could be at risk (called immanent danger by OSHA and triggers special treatment)........explain please someone....benefits/ risk please of not saving the life possibly and he gets to hide????
(((Hugs)))
I totally understand you. :(

Unfortunately the law says otherwise.
We have to wait until LE acts.
And they're going to need more evidence.
I wish Gabby had kept a diary or left a clue online !

What we're feeling must be a molecule compared to what Gabby's family is going through.
Makes me feel like I have everything in the world since my loved ones are all ok and safe !
Hoping for a break soon !!!!

I’m more concerned about photographing injuries on his body. If this went down like I think it did, she probably got him pretty good.
Which may be less likely to be seen when you arrive in FL 9/1, she’s not reported missing until 9/11, you don’t answer the door and your parents refuse to let LE see you. Has anyone seen him since? If not it’s been over 2 wks he’s had to heal if he had any injuries to speak of!

Yes, to everything listed here. Also, IMO and personal experience, abusers have the need to isolate you from all family and support networks, which is why IMO, I believe she lived with him and his family. Has anyone determined why she lived with his family?

I heard she moved down there when Brian and his parents moved. This was around the time she was 20 years-old. This seems odd and ill-advised for people that young. JMO, but from my outside view this relationship seems unhealthy and too intense. Apparently her father moved down there too after a while to be closer to her.

Important moments from body cam footage transcribed by me (with timestamps):

10:00 — GP to officer regarding driving over the curb: “We don’t drink or anything”

12:45 — BL: “The flies here are like pretty intense, so the flies have definitely been getting to her.”

13:33 — Officer: “what was the disagreement about?” BL: “I wouldn’t even call it a disagreement. I, I’m dirty and I can’t change being dirty, like I’ve got dirty feet, I got sand in my flip flops and stuff like that. Uh, it was that we were at the coffee shop for so long, ‘cause we were there from 9 to 3

14:22 — BL explaining why he suggested GP take a walk after the incident at Moonflower cafe: “she got a little worked up. She had her phone in her hand and her keys in her hand and everything. She wanted—er, not her keys, her rings—and I was holding onto the keys cause I just, I didn’t want her to go anywhere and my big fear is, I don’t have my phone, uh, I don’t have a phone so if she goes off without me, you know, on a car ride, I don’t have a way home.”

15:50 — BL: “I’m fine, and I look it [good? audio muffled]. And I hope she doesn’t have too many complaints about me.”

20:47 — Officer to other officer: “so I just got off the phone with one of the two witnesses that reported it”

29:17 — Officer: “Do you guys have enough money for like a hotel room or anything like that? Because what we could do is, we’d cite her for this, and then I’d give her a ride over to whatever hotel of your guys’ choosing and on your way to pick her up, you stop over there at the PD, sign the paperwork that they’re requesting and then you can go pick her up, quite literally, within minutes.” Other officer: “unless you know someone else in town that’s a friend she could stay with.” BL: “You know, unfortunately not. I don’t, and I guess that [note: trails off at the end of the sentence and Officer interrupts]

31:06 — Officer: “You guys don’t know anyone in town? Guys been around long?” BL: “No, I don’t know anyone in town. If she went—[abruptly stops mid-sentence].”

44:30 — female officer to male officer: “She’s [GP] got her cellphone, she’s calling her parents to feel better. She doesn’t want to not be with him tonight.”

49:19 — Officer to GP: “Were you attempting to cause him [BL] physical pain or physical impairment? Was that what you were attempting to do?” Gabby responds: “No. Never.” Officer: “What were you attempting to do? What was the reason behind the slapping and stuff? What was it you were attempting to accomplish by slapping him?” Gabby: “I was trying to get him to stop telling me to calm down.”

1:00:06 — Officer asks GP if she has anything she wants him to communicate to BL, Gabby responds “Make sure he doesn’t forget a phone charger. Definitely dead.” Officer: “Oh, he’s mad about that too?” GP: “yeah”
she said, he is BAD about that, like he dont keep his phone charged, dont keep up with his phone charger, hence why t was dead at the time.

I agree 100% this is the most similar case to Kenzie's that I have followed as well.

Hi @yellowmoose so good to see you here!

So good to see so many of you here that were with me during Kenzie’s case! @Gardenista @Seattle1 @oviedo to name a few.
The body cam footage only gives a small look into the relationship, but like many have said DV can’t really be ruled out. And the combination of DV and mental health concerns can be so dangerous. I’m wondering how her OCD plays into their dispute - so much so she decided to mention it as a factor.

It’s taking me 2 hours to watch an hour long video because there are so many concerning/odd things I am observing. However, one thing I just saw really concerns me (again, this may have been mentioned already). The officer asks for his phone number. The audio is redacted for a while after that, but Brian takes his phone out of his pocket and looks at it while talking. I’m quite concerned that this phone is a prepaid phone he had just got and had to look at the phone to get the number. If so, if this was the only phone he had on his drive back to Florida AND, perhaps by the time warrants for the phone might be issued, the phone will be gone, I don’t see how they would be able to track his movement IF this was a prepaid phone and IF it ends up missing.

JMO

Thank you for this. I am not through it either and took pause when BL states at the beginning that he has no phone but officer Robbins later states in his report that they both have phones for emergencies while they are separated. Her phone - if it is still in her custody, may not have pinged for who knows how long. If they did carry on with their plans to hike they likely could have been in area with no service.

I heard she moved down there when Brian and his parents moved. This was around the time she was 20 years-old. This seems odd and ill-advised for people that young. JMO, but from my outside view this relationship seems unhealthy and too intense. Apparently her father moved down there too after a while to be closer to her.
I've been wondering about this as well, since the start. They've been together 2-1/2 years, which could mean they moved in together when she was still 19. And IIRC, her mom had said early on, that they had a relationship in HS, that they "rekindled" later.

Yes, to everything listed here. Also, IMO and personal experience, abusers have the need to isolate you from all family and support networks, which is why IMO, I believe she lived with him and his family. Has anyone determined why she lived with his family?

I believe she is the oldest of six children, but I could be mistaken. These two don't seem to have much money or education, so maybe they just did that for financial reasons. She surely seems to be in an abusive, toxic and controlling relationship with this unemployed person. IMO

There are no squatting rights to a van. She can lock him out. She would have to give his stuff back " when requested " to do so. She can't keep his possessions. But she can absolutely lock him out first then give him his possessions.
I disagree if they were living out of it. But maybe I'm wrong, Idk. You would have to have eviction paperwork where I live.

why???? why does any human have that right what is the argument????need to know motown
Per the 5th Amendment to the Constitution:

The self-incrimination clause provides various protections against self-incrimination, including the right of an individual to not serve as a witness in a criminal case in which they are the defendant. "Pleading the Fifth" is a colloquial term often used to invoke the self-incrimination clause when witnesses decline to answer questions where the answers might incriminate them.

Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia

IMHOO

I’m more concerned about photographing injuries on his body. If this went down like I think it did, she probably got him pretty good.
Remember - he was locking her out of her vehicle, as he was in the driver's seat, with her phone in his possession - getting ready to leave her there alone and with nothing. Of course she would claw her way back in.

Just as a general statement, but IMO there is simply nowhere near enough information to make any sort of psychiatrist and/or psychological diagnosis or assessment from that bodycam footage. It's two adults who are in a high stress situation. I know there are many people here with only the best intentions, sharing matrices and criteria for abusive relationships, and mental illness diagnostic criteria, etc, but the truth of the matter is, human beings are complex, and it requires far more than watching some bodycam footage of a traffic stop for an hour to make a solid assessment of any individual. Without digressing too far, I believe that the medicalization and overly-pathologized notion of human beings is on display when people do this sort of thing. To be fair, yes, of course we want to try to make sense of the situation. But you cannot say you have a solid assessment from such limited evidence. This is also true even in real world psychiatry. There are so many 'doctors' who will see a patient for 10 minutes and immediately diagnose them with some issue or some condition and write them medications. IMO and from my own personal anecdotal stories, the best don't actually analyze or jump to conclusions..it takes time. It takes patience. You must gather enough information to make an accurate assessment, and, if appropriate, diagnosis. Again - not discrediting anyone for suggesting abuse or mental issues here in the video, but it's just simply not enough information to do so accurately. MOO

Thank you for this. I am not through it either and took pause when BL states at the beginning that he has no phone but officer Robbins later states in his report that they both have phones for emergencies while they are separated. Her phone - if it is still in her custody, may not have pinged for who knows how long. If they did carry on with their plans to hike they likely could have been in area with no service.
Her mother suspects the last two texts she received from Gabby's phone weren't sent by Gabby. So it's possible he took her phone so that he'd have a phone for the return trip. We don't know where that phone is now; he could have thrown it away en route, after texting GP's mother. Or not. Would the current investigation be able to locate her phone by GPS?

My take on the police video. Note:

Here are a few things that set off alarms for me and/or concerned me and my reasons.

1. The police officer jumped when the van hit the curb -B must have hit that curb pretty hard to make an office jump like that. You can sense the officer is weary/concerned when approaching the vehicle.

2. B immediately attempts to explain why he hit the curb but he did not give a reason (excuse) G is quick to blame herself and say she was distracting him from driving.- B couldn’t come up with a good excuse immediately as to why he was driving so erratic.

3. Gabby’s first interrogation with the police she mentions OCD, cleaning the van and apologizing to Brian for “being in a bad mood.” She also mentions feeling stressed about building their website and her blog and states “he doesn’t think I can do it” and also states B was yelling at her while they were driving prior to being pulled over. - The fact that G is apologizing to Brian for her “mood” or feelings or apologizing for cleaning or being “OCD” (victims of abuse always feel they are at fault for their partner’s anger/rage/abuse. In this case I believe B was annoyed and mad she was cleaning and began verbally abusing her) By the way she says “I feel like I have OCD” we don’t know if she’s even officially diagnosed.

The fact that “he doesn’t think she can’t do it” shows he isn’t very supportive and likely puts her down (form of abuse).

Yelling at her in the van while she’s crying hysterically (verbal/emotional abuse)

4. The police officer goes back to B and the first thing out of his mouth “you spoke to Gabby?” - I feel he believed that Gabby mentioned him shoving her or mentioned the physical altercation they both participated in and so he immediately goes into protecting himself and creating his narrative. He mentions the physical altercation almost immediately (abusers are really great at minimizing, denying abuse and portraying themselves as the victim)

5. During his story he emphasizes quite often that they were going to take a walk and he wasn’t going to leave - I feel when B tells his story he’s only thinking about rebuttals of what he assumes Gabby told the police. He was threatening to abandon her there so he is trying to be clear that he only wanted space and wasn’t going to drive off.

6. B refuses water. -I feel he is incredibly smart and might have refused water to be sure no fingerprint traces or DNA. But in videos shows their “environmentalists” - so could be wrong!

7. B is laughing the whole situation off, a lot. - this is not a common or known reaction of a victim of abuse but that of an abuser.

8. When they are first pulled over and when B is being interviewed he keeps mentioning flies. As if flies caused all of this but he was very consistent, clear, and repetitive about her “losing it”, getting “worked up”, then jokingly calls her crazy (biggest red flag for me.)

9. An officer is heard saying G and B had visible marks except only B’s marks are mentioned in the report.

10. B figured out his excuse for hitting the curb, blame Gabby she yanked the wheel -lie. When G was asked about the curb she says she hit him to get his attention the police mentions B said she yanked the wheel then she says I might have for a second -victims are known to defend their abusers and/or are use to being gaslighted they question their own reality and believe the abuser’s versions of fights/arguments/abuse. B was in a fit of rage and was likely driving reckless.

All the signs were there the police officers just missed it. The police were kind and attempting to relate to both B and G but I feel they missed all of the warning signs. I so wish police officers were trained in DV. If someone with DV training was present they would have picked up on all the red flags and maybe the situation wouldn’t be what it is right now. IMO

I agree 100% I also wanted to add too, you had mentioned earlier this morning about Brian refusing the water and I mentioned how he said he doesn't like plastic* (I miss heard him say glass early this morning) bottles. I gave it some thought and yes, it is plausible that's why he refused a bottle of water but I also get this very stubborn air about Brian. Particularly the comment: "I'm dirty and I can't change being dirty..." (Yeah, you can say that again.) I respect being strong in his convictions for the environment but like you are clearly thirsty dude, just accept some water, if not out of common courtesy. I agree though, that was a weird moment in the video.

This is such an unfair accusation, to say there is no evidence to show he didn't hit her. That's just twisted, in my opinion.

The huge thing making BL look so suspicious is the fact he drove her van home without her, and that he is not providing any information about the last time he saw her. This is what makes him look so bad, and this is what leads many people to the conclusion that he murdered her.

Him driving her van home without her, and not cooperating with LE about her last known whereabouts make me think he's messed up, scared of something, and something really awful happened.

It does not however, lend my thoughts to "he murdered her". Although if she were alive, I suspect she'd have contacted her mom at this point.

There's WAY too much we don't know, to simply land there that he was responsible for her disappearance. We don't know what (if any) conversation there was about the van, or if he just left her there, or if she just blew him off and left him there with the van, or... or... a million other "or" scenarios.

It's like trying to put a puzzle together with 95% of the pieces missing.

jmo

Question regarding the body cam footage (not sure if this was discussed here yet - posts are going so fast) - at 48:51 the officer opens the door and GP was on her phone and then puts it down - as he is about the shut the door at the end of the conversation he says something like "I will let you get back to your parents"..(not sure if thats exact). Anyone else hear this?

Remember - he was locking her out of her vehicle, as he was in the driver's seat, with her phone in his possession - getting ready to leave her there alone and with nothing. Of course she would claw her way back in.
I think he is referring to the injuries he received in the final altercation that occurred- i.e. the one where he hypothetically killed her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23