Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe they wanted to make sure she had the van as she was anxious he was going to leave her.
Maybe the cops saw that it was her own property. Did they ever check the docs for the van?

re: the timeline ... if he arrived back in Florida on the 1st, he would have had to drive at least 35 hours (I mapquested it). Add a few hours for a rest, bathroom break, traffic and you're looking at closer to 48 hours I would think. So he had to have left on the 30th - possibly earlier?

Maybe they wanted to make sure she had the van as she was anxious he was going to leave her.
It's just sad they couldn't have had someone at least accompany her to a place for her to camp the night and make sure she got there safely and calmed down. I realize many PDs just don't have the resources for this, but it might have made all the difference. Who knows.

My opinion only after watching the video: unfortunately, it feels largely inconsequential in the big picture. Certainly it shines light on the problems they were having and that's not irrelevant, but it doesn't tip the scales in either direction. There were a few head-scratching moments, but nothing that would seem implausible after a blow-up made worse by a police stop. Comments that "she's crazy" and that he didn't think they could make it work with their social media endeavor. Maybe my memory is wrong, but for Gabby to come out amidst the panic and nerves of a fight/ police stop and divulge Brian's lack of faith in her goal, seemed out of place unless it were fresh on her mind and maybe a large part of their argument during that drive that led to the stop. More uninformed spitballing and theorizing, but I could see Gabby's cleaning of the van and remarks about Brian's dirtiness lead to him launching his own personal attack on her, where that lack of faith became exposed and he says some ugly things. To me, that would make sense as the essence of a fight that reached a boiling point and explain the inability for the van to stop and drive properly. But again, who knows. Like so many here, my opinions change by the hour and the day, and we each have our own theories based on our own imaginations and experiences.

While there was a lot of overlap in their interests, they had some apparent sizable differences, e.g. Brian's seeming lack of interest in material things and his unrelenting interest in sustainability. Gabby could take the water from the officers and not think twice, but Brian couldn't accept a plastic bottle. With such personality differences I can see plenty of "ammunition" for car fights and ugly words. It also complicates the image they were trying to project in their social media, and their inability to agree on how to travel, work and live only makes their social media endeavor seem more impossible.

I'd really like to see the body cam footage of the secondary officers who spoke at lengths to them outside of the view we got in this video. The one we saw is highly distressing, but I don't know if it's helpful enough.

Is it possible that BL kicked her out of the van, without water or shelter in the desert, and drove away? I could see it happening. Maybe he went back later, and didn’t see her anywhere. Maybe he hung around whatever town they were in for a day or so, waiting to see if she turned up. When she didn’t, maybe he just took her van and headed home. So he thinks he didn’t kill her directly, but would certainly be complicit in her death. So he clammed up and refused to speak.

That could have happened, but why wouldn't he have sought help finding her? Called her parents or something? I just don't think that happened. IMO

it is starting

A short summary - please forgive any spelling or grammatical errors. This is not a transcript.

Robert Stafford, Attorney for the family:

-FBI and LE agencies are the best in the country and I am sure they are doing a great job
-They reached out on Fri the 10th and again on the 11th - refused to answer those (questions) and stayed silent
-Gabby's brother had a graduation from a local high school and she came up for that, on July 2nd they began their trip
-We will not discuss 'the incident'
-Jim Schmidt is in Wyoming to be the contact person
-Petito and Schmidt families are doing everything they can to find Gabby
-Hope that everyone pulls together and helps us find Gabby
-Everyone is doing that but Brian and his family
-Not going to get into content of message (from Aug 30th) family does not believe it was sent from Gabby
-They were engaged and the wedding was put on hold and they decided to go on the trip instead
-They were going to Oregon by Oct 2nd to spend time there, when Brian showed up by Sept 1st it was against the plan
-Asking the Laundrie family to come forward and say what they know
-Again refuses to discuss the text message supposedly from Gabby

From the family (paraphrased) "Please, if you or your family have any decency left, please tell us where Gabby is located."

JMO

Last edited:
re: the timeline ... if he arrived back in Florida on the 1st, he would have had to drive at least 35 hours (I mapquested it). Add a few hours for a rest, bathroom break, traffic and you're looking at closer to 48 hours I would think. So he had to have left on the 30th - possibly earlier?
IF he drove straight through, IF he was alone, IF he didn't take one or two detours to take care of something.

Watching the Moab video, I suddenly tapped into some of the feelings her relatives must be going through. He locked her out? Made her climb through windows? Told her she was a social media failure, which was the whole point of the trip? Told her she’s crazy and OCD and uptight and what else? She’s sobbing and utterly miserable?

For one, I must say I hope LE is keeping close tabs on Gabby’s dad, or going out of their way to address his feelings, he must be absolutely enraged at Brian.

I don’t know what I would do if my precious daughter was missing and her wimpy boyfriend smugly refused say anything about where she might be for weeks. But in my nuclear rage I’d probably do something regrettable.

Last edited:
If anyone here thinks for one second that he simply 'left' her somewhere in an argument, and she subsequently met with foul play, THINK AGAIN. That didn't happen. IMO

Problem is, Gabby isn't here to tell us what happened and Brian isn't talking.
So... we don't actually know what happened. Yet.
My hope is, his attorney pursuades him to cooperate & tell LE what he knows.

The whole point of the trip was to have an adventure of a lifetime and become viral van lifers, YouTubers. It wasn’t working out at all and he blamed it all on her. It must have been traumatically miserable the last few weeks. Before something very ugly happened obviously.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member