Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that's true, I'm surprised she volunteered (and bought the van) for a second cross-country road trip with him.

Did she ever tell her mother about their difficulties? She apparently was on the phone to her mom after that altercation. If her mom knew they had trouble getting along in the past, I would think she'd have concerns about Gabby staying in the relationship, and certainly about her planning another road trip with him. But maybe mom felt she wouldn't be able to disuade her. It could be that her mom has been harboring a lot of misgivings about the relationship for quite awhile. And now it ends like this. Devastating!

It's more speculation, but I keep wondering about why another road trip, if he'd been overbearing in the past, and about how victims in abusive or manipulative relationships aren't always aware they're victims. She thought they were getting married, and was posting pix of baby clothes on Pinterest? While dealing with issues with him? That's hard to get my mind around, but it's definitely possible.

Just thinking out loud...
From experience as a teen girl who was in a relationship that nobody else knew was very unhealthy, we can become very good at making our parents believe that 'everything is great' because we are hoping that someday soon it actually will be. I am speculating that any possible misgivings her family may have had about them going, GP may have been able to alleviate by becoming a very good actress.

JMO

Because of the obvious fighting, physical nature of the fighting, etc. Come on. We are seeing a slither of their daily reality. It was likely much worse and frequent. This wasn't a one off. It's common sense. Occam's razor. imo.

Ahhh... I see! You are thinking something much worse happened. It is horribly worrisome but I have to agree. Heartbreaking to think about.

I agree 100% I also wanted to add too, you had mentioned earlier this morning about Brian refusing the water and I mentioned how he said he doesn't like plastic* (I miss heard him say glass early this morning) bottles. I gave it some thought and yes, it is plausible that's why he refused a bottle of water but I also get this very stubborn air about Brian. Particularly the comment: "I'm dirty and I can't change being dirty..." (Yeah, you can say that again.) I respect being strong in his convictions for the environment but like you are clearly thirsty dude, just accept some water, if not out of common courtesy. I agree though, that was a weird moment in the video.

I'm late to make this comment, but I frankly wouldn't be surprised if it turns out he declined the offer of water from the police because he is aware (from popular culture) that law enforcement can use cups, cans, glasses that people have drunk from as a source of DNA evidence. If this *was* his rationale, it would suggest that he already had it in his head to do something (against Gabby) that might draw the attention of LE. This is merely hypothetical, but I get the impression that he thinks he's much, much smarter than everyone else and this seems like something a person with an intellectual superiority complex would consider!

Who takes off on a 1-2 day trek home without the other person they were traveling with, nonetheless a gf/fiancé? He had a very long time to think about his actions, even turning back to get G. We know what didn’t happen. He did not call in an accident, did not contact LE after returning to FL solo, instead he clams up & hires a defense? From what?
Has there been an interview with employee(s) from the organic store? Wonder what they (or CCTV) say about the couples interactions during their time there. I’ve driven through the Moab area, isolated, creepy (IMO) and I really hope she wasn’t just left to her own vices, esp since she was already afraid of just that. MOO IMO

#BREAKING

A representative for the family says they have been instructed to not talk about the police incident that happened in Moab on Aug. 12.

Adds that Laundrie's family knew he showed up on Sept. 1, which wasn't part of the trip they had planned.

#findgabbypetito
https://twitter.com/morganwolfeksl/status/1438577937683402771?s=21
Thought he said they were lawered up waiting for the police 10 days after his return on 1st which implys they knew right away on 1st and witheld and lawered up?

That could have happened, but why wouldn't he have sought help finding her? Called her parents or something? I just don't think that happened. IMO
Sure, a fine, caring, loving, upstanding adult would certainly seek help searching for his missing girlfriend. If he left her in the middle of nowhere in an uninhabitable location, that’s contradictory to what one should do. I cannot imagine what Gabby’s parents are going through. I don’t think I would be able to handle unreturned phone calls from her boyfriend’s parent either. I don’t know how they are doing this.

Last edited:
Watching the Moab video, I suddenly tapped into some of the feelings her relatives must be going through.

For one, I must say I hope LE is keeping close tabs on Gabby’s dad, or going out of their way to address his feelings, he must be absolutely enraged at Brian.

I don’t know what I would do if my precious daughter was missing and her wimpy boyfriend smugly refused say anything about where she might be for weeks. But in my nuclear rage I’d probably do something regrettable.

The only correct answer for any father is Season 1 of 24. I leave it at that.

Last edited:
Apparently in the earlier presser by LE they said the Laundrie’s attorney supplied them with properties that were requested of them. Can anyone confirm hearing this? I watched earlier but can’t recall anything about that but a reporter just mentioned it at the presser Gabby’s family just finished so I’m curious.

Missing Instagrammer's last text 'suggests she was 800 miles from last sighting'

see the handwritten timeline in this article which suggests Brian returned to FLA between 17 and 23 August. Hadn't noticed this anywhere else? could it be true? Maybe they were apart from the police-enforced separation on 12th until the 24th? do we know either way? Maybe Brian went camping by himself in Utah for a few days before returning to FLA 17th august. maybe Gabby had fun without him. Maybe she thought there was something weird about his solo camping trip. thinking out loud. (0.02).

It's just sad they couldn't have had someone at least accompany her to a place for her to camp the night and make sure she got there safely and calmed down. I realize many PDs just don't have the resources for this, but it might have made all the difference. Who knows.
I’m guessing they checked up on her.

It’s 2:30 on the East Coast and I’m watching the news. They are talking about this case but as yet I don’t see the family making any new statements.

I know we've all commented endlessly about why BL won’t talk, and we often mention the default advice of lawyers to never talk to the police even if innocent, as well as the 5th amendment and our constitutional rights to a presumption of innocence.

If I loved someone and they were missing, and I was innocent but advised not to talk, a new amendment would have to be created to shut me up. I genuinely would not care what the lawyers advised me if I were innocent. I would be begging, pleading and telling every single detail that I could remember in an effort to save my loved one’s life. No, I wouldn’t want to be misinterpreted and considered guilty as a lawyer would advise, but I mean it. I know myself. I would talk to all law enforcement until they were sick of me and then I’d continue anyway. Maybe one tiny detail that I thought was insignificant would break the case.

The callousness of BL and his whole family toward a girl who lived with them. Why why why. I don’t think my parents would protect me if they think I did something and I wouldn’t protect my adult child either. I really wouldn’t.
Or if it were really an accident, sparing her parents the pain.

No version of what happened makes his actions now look good

One of the first things out of BL's mouth during the traffic stop was him saying to the officer that he loved GP.
<rsbm>

IIRC, they had called off their engagement and they had also just had a fight, yet in his convo with LE, BL refers to her as his fiancé. IMO, it seems his intent was to make their relationship seem rosier than it actually was.

I wouldn't say it's sloppy policing and I agree with you that they took more time than I would expect for this incident. I also admired that they took the situation seriously. I personally don't blame LE. They aren't trauma trained nor given the mental health support they should have.

You say this type of community policing is what we want, I respectfully disagree. I want police that are trauma informed and/or co-responders who are. If we want to stop escalation of domestic violence - it's really the only way. The current models of "24 hour breaks" and an hour of conversation with the partners only feet away from each other (with neither knowing if they are going to be back in the van together shortly) doesn't bring out what is bubbling under the surface and very often contributes to a sudden escalation of violence.

I totally agree.
When I was in an abusive relationship, I lied to cops and family and blamed myself. It took being away from my abuser for over a week before my mind could clear and I could start to recognize the dynamic I was living in.

I now study cognitive science and will one day be specializing in trauma informed counseling. People who aren't trained properly often misread or improperly address mental health events. I think the cops likely did the best they knew how to, but the issue is that their personal biases and training probably made them significantly worse people to handle this situation in comparison to a trauma informed mental health professional. I know they were in a smaller place, but giving the couple access to a mental health professional to clear them would have been much more appropriate than just "take a 24 hour break". A mental health professional likely would have been able to more easily pick up on what was going on between the two and facilitate a healthier outcome.

edited spelling error*

You are definitely not wrong but when men hit women we NEVER blame the women and say she made him do it. Right? We don’t have any actual evidence that he was abusing her! She even says he didn’t hit her. He DID grab her face which is also not acceptable. Sounds like they were having issues and fighting a lot. Sounds like they might BOTH have a lot of issues containing their anger. Either way we know she put hands on him because she says so and he has marks on his body to back it up. That’s all.

I don't think anyone here is saying that BL made GP hit him. That's language you are choosing. Several of us are talking about GP's actions possibly being reactive abuse.
Key word there being abuse; as in GP's actions were abusive.
BL admitting pushing her and grabbing her face are also physical abuse so we do have evidence that he was also physically abusive to her.

It doesn't have to be one or the other (and it often is not)
People of all genders are abused and people of all genders commit abuse. In fact, same sex couples have high domestic violence rates. This just isn't at all about gender to me.

I'll re-iterate my statement though.
People who regularly physically abuse their partners generally don't tell police that they've hit their partner. That in itself is pretty telling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288