NC NC - Faith Hedgepeth, 19, UNC student, Chapel Hill, 7 Sep 2012 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, certainly unexpected, but a wonderful step forward in hopefully getting some measure of justice for Faith and answers for her friends and family.

I have never commented on this case, but have followed it closely for around 7 years. After joining WS fairly recently I made my way through all of the comments on Faith’s case, but never commented because I honestly didn’t feel as if I had anything to add after so many years to what seemed like a relatively stagnant case.

That $9 million allocated to DNA testing so many backlogged kits was worth every cent! It’s a shame it took so long, but if I was a resident of NC I’d be thrilled to have my tax dollars spent this way. Cliche, better late than never!

Feels like we are all just recycling the same info for the last few years, but for the sake of keeping hope alive, here are 3 things I think could be done to hopefully bring some life back to this cold case:

1 - LE holds a press conference to announce reward money has been upped from $40,000 to say $100,000. To me, 40k is nice but is that enough to sell your buddy down the river? Not sure. 100k might be

2 - In same press conference, announce new info is being released. Throw us a bone. Release SOMETHING...maybe time of death? I don't think that was ever on the autopsy report from what I recall

3 - Finish the backlog of rape kits!! Hopefully we get a hit that leads to something

Welp. They held the presser and it appears it was a DNA match. Whether from backlogged kits or from a recent arrest, we don't know yet. I thought from the way that Stein was speaking that it was a backlogged kit. But the fact that he was arrested for DWI exactly a month ago makes me wonder if they got a partial match from a backlogged kit and were able to do some confirmatory testing from DNA collected in connection with his DWI arrest.

Welp. They held the presser and it appears it was a DNA match. Whether from backlogged kits or from a recent arrest, we don't know yet. I thought from the way that Stein was speaking that it was a backlogged kit. But the fact that he was arrested for DWI exactly a month ago makes me wonder if they got a partial match from a backlogged kit and were able to do some confirmatory testing from DNA collected in connection with his DWI arrest.
Definitely agree. It can't be a coincidence that this big arrest came just a month after his DWI.

ETA: This quote from Stein: "Yesterday, with a sample provided by law enforcement of the suspect, the state crime lab generated a match to a DNA profile derived from the original crime scene. As a result, an arrest nearly a decade in the making has been made" makes it sound like the sample was from the DWI arrest.

Last edited:
They were essentially the same age when this all happened. I've always wondered if Red Robin was where she met her killer. I guess time will tell whether it was totally random, or if they knew each other somehow.

They were essentially the same age when this all happened. I've always wondered if Red Robin was where she met her killer. I guess time will tell whether it was totally random, or if they knew each other somehow.
Yeah, I'm definitely interested to see how their lives intersected. We'll certainly find out more now!

Sounds plausible. I still can't believe that such progress has been made. Let's hope there's justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23