CANADA Canada - Ben Tyner, 32, cowboy, horse returned w/o him, Merritt, British Columbia, 26 Jan 2019 - #3

Could be so. Sadly, on the other hand, fires may also destroy evidence. Such a long time with no solution, no info, no updates. This case has always broken my heart.

I thought of that too. Right now the fires are south of town, which is an area that was never considered suspect but because of drought conditions and fires, a lot of ranches are moving cattle down to lower pastures.

Without snow cover or lush foliage, it's my fondest hope that with so many men and women on horseback, somebody may find something that would move the investigation forward.

Truly hope it is Ben. His parents are aware he’s a victim of homicide so I’d say they want him found. Could it be him at last?

Much to be said for closure. Of course, solving the crime and finding the perpetrators is much needed as well.

It is disappointing news, I’d imagine for the friends and family of the victim who was found deceased as well. But I’d have been surprised if it was Ben considering his horse was originally located quite a distance away, to the NW of Merritt I believe, although Nicola Lake is closer to the ranch.

UPDATE: Merritt homicide victim identified

(UPDATE: Sept. 16 @ 11:05 am) - Investigators have identified the body that was found near Nicola Lake on Tuesday morning.

According to police, the victim is 51-year-old Dennis Michael Walters of Merritt and his death, which was previously characterized as suspicious, has now been confirmed as a homicide.

S/Sgt. Janelle Shoihet says the RCMP is releasing Walters' identity in hopes that it can help move the investigation forward.

"We are hopeful that in doing so, we can help timeline the events leading up to his death," Shoihet explained.

"We are asking anyone who has knowledge of Dennis’ whereabouts on Monday until the discovery of his body on Tuesday, or has any other information which may assist in the investigation, to call us."

It is disappointing news, I’d imagine for the friends and family of the victim who was found deceased as well. But I’d have been surprised if it was Ben considering his horse was originally located quite a distance away, to the NW of Merritt I believe, although Nicola Lake is closer to the ranch.
It was alleged that the horse was transported there and left in that location/area...so as to support a theory that Ben took the horse out and fell off. And, in that case, Ben could be anywhere. JMO

It was alleged that the horse was transported there and left in that location/area...so as to support a theory that Ben took the horse out and fell off. And, in that case, Ben could be anywhere. JMO

True, only if Ben died an accidental death do I think his body may still be found. But if by homicide and somebody went to all the effort of transporting his horse to another location, odds are they also buried or hid his body not intending it to be easily found by a hunter just happening along. JMO

True, only if Ben died an accidental death do I think his body may still be found. But if by homicide and somebody went to all the effort of transporting his horse to another location, odds are they also buried or hid his body not intending it to be easily found by a hunter just happening along. JMO
I was going along with the thoughts of LE that criminality was involved and it was homicide.

Missing Merritt cowboy is presumed dead, but family still looks for answers - Saanich News

“To date, numerous investigational avenues have been explored, and in order to protect the ongoing investigation police are unable to share those findings publicly at this time. However, based on those findings, major crime investigators have reason to believe that criminality was involved in Ben Tyner’s disappearance, and is the victim of a homicide, stated Cpl. Jesse O’Donaghey, spokesman for the BC RCMP in the Southeast District, in a release to the media.

UPDATE: Merritt homicide victim identified

(UPDATE: Sept. 16 @ 11:05 am) - Investigators have identified the body that was found near Nicola Lake on Tuesday morning.

According to police, the victim is 51-year-old Dennis Michael Walters of Merritt and his death, which was previously characterized as suspicious, has now been confirmed as a homicide.

S/Sgt. Janelle Shoihet says the RCMP is releasing Walters' identity in hopes that it can help move the investigation forward.

"We are hopeful that in doing so, we can help timeline the events leading up to his death," Shoihet explained.

"We are asking anyone who has knowledge of Dennis’ whereabouts on Monday until the discovery of his body on Tuesday, or has any other information which may assist in the investigation, to call us."
There's not a peep in the news about this person, how long he lived in Merritt, what he did, family...Merritt is a very small place for there to be another murder, also a male, also not apparently found at a crime scene ie potentially moved.

There have been a lot drug trade gang murders across southern BC this year, but the average age seems to be 30, most people involved seem to retire or die before they reach their fifties.

I don’t recall it ever was reported a body was found near Merritt Sept 2019. Still unidentified. I’d sure hope the RCMP has ruled out any connection to the mysterious disappearance of Ben earlier the same year, in January.

B.C. RCMP release sketch of unidentified man; remains found 2 years ago near Merritt | Globalnews.ca
“The Southeast District Major Crime Unit has assumed conduct of the investigation as police believe that criminality may have been involved in the man’s death.”….

……The man is described as being light-skinned, of possible European descent, and between 20 and 50 years of age. He was also listed as being approximately six feet two inches tall and 220 pounds with a muscular build.”

Merritt-RCMP-forensic-sketch.jpg image.jpg
I don't think the uid has been identified yet, but here is a comparison between him and Ben. Lack of beard in the UID, but I would assume our LE must've considered Ben Tyner as possible ID. Haven't heard anything more lately.

I don't know if this is indicative of anything but I can't find Ben listed on RCMP Canada's Missing?? I distinctively remember seeing his face and icon when I'm searching for new MP. So, either I'm remembering wrong and I saw his elsewhere or they removed his profile.
Does anyone, by any chance, have a prior link to his RCMP page? Maybe a dead link now?
The above guy from Merritt doesn't have a profile either.

I don't believe that is indicative of anything, but of course it could be. In going to the Missing: Ben Tyner site on FB, I see as recently as last week people posting about him being missing, including relatives.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea
Back