Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
He said she grabbed the wheel which made him swerve. Why did the female cop not mention that she says she did not. Sure, the female cop had not heard all versions before she decided to blame Gabby. I'm still wondering how grabbing a guy's arm, who is driving a speeding vehicle evading the law is somehow worse than the speeding, evading the law and reckless driving in the first place. Seems a little backwards in law enforcement priorities.
The female cop did mention she said she did not grab the wheel. Then she stated that she was punching him in the arm, and that caused him to swerve, and that it was her fault he hit the curb.
Wait. Now he was "evading the law"? Exactly how far did the cops chase him?

Yes, the speeding is a typical abuser tactic. Agree that it's very concerning.
My very odd ex did this to me. Drove at extraordinarily high speed to scare me - he did it while I was intoxicated because he knew I couldn’t take over driving. As you said, typical abuse. If this is what happened to her (intoxicated or not) - I can understand why she would be very shaken up afterward. It has been several years since my incident and I still have a very hard time driving with others.

the cops made a big deal about the "requirement" to arrest her. Is it their option, on the other hand, to let someone walk free after speeding, evading the cops, etc?

Apparently you can speed in Utah and just blame it on your girlfriend and say you're "sorry" and the cops say, "hey lemme tell ya about MY crazy old lady...." Yes I'm being flippant but those cops bothered me. Their whole looking for fingernail scratches was over the top, the way they examined every inch of BL while they were standing there chatting in the video. Even laughing. BL is out there walking on rocks every day and probably getting all scratched up doing that stuff and the cops are standing there pointing out every little scratch and red spot on him they could find. He even told them one of the scratches was caused by "a wire" and the cop took a photo of it anyway just to have it documented, for no reason at all!

Of course this is all my opinion. I don't dislike cops. I was not happy with these two though. I did see a woman cop on the scene in the video. but she didn't do much interacting with the others.

I just don't know what Kool-Aid is served at the L house:

"Hope this is just a misunderstanding?" says his sister.

Like the kind of misunderstanding that causes terror and pain to a innocent person, massive grief to families, funerals, and 20 to life in Federal Penitentiaries?

I have a new perspective of this family now.

My very odd ex did this to me. Drove at extraordinarily high speed to scare me - he did it while I was intoxicated because he knew I couldn’t take over driving. As you said, typical abuse. If this is what happened to her (intoxicated or not) - I can understand why she would be very shaken up afterward. It has been several years since my incident and I still have a very hard time driving with others.

Yes, I had this done to me once as well.

Which I have shown is an oversight since the camera footage shows marks visibly. And it is even discussed with one of the police officers (park rangers?).

So why were her injuries omitted or ignored? It certainly puts a slant on things when hers are not documented, I would think.
I watched and listened to the video two times. Only reason l listened twice, I ended up helping a friend in her garden. That being said l don’t recall hearing Gabby had injuries. In fact the first thing the officer asked Gabby was to get out of the van. He asked her why was she crying. She was dressed in a shortsleeve top and shorts,
any injuries would’ve been visible. Asked her questions about what happened earlier at the co-op. Then asked her to wait in the patrol car. Asked the boyfriend to get out of the van. Same questions asked minus why are you crying.

Last edited:
I thought this was going to turn out to be a wild left-field theory but if this is true/verified it looks like there could be a possible connection. At the very least it seems BL and GP crossed paths with Kylen—beyond that it’s pure speculation. Glad to hear LE is actively investigating the link.

How large is Moonflower Coop? Are we talking supermarket size or country cafe size? I’m wondering how likely it is that Kyle actually interacted with one or both of them.

you're missing the fact that Gabby is missing and the victim.
No. With all due respect, I'm talking about a traffic stop, and you are combining the details of said traffic stop and her being missing.
In regards to the traffic stop. BL was the "victim."
In regards to Gabby being missing, she is the "victim.
To separate subject matters.
I'm sorry if I confused you. My apologies.

Yes. Then @ timestamp 21.00, the cop explains what the witness saw, stating " He never saw the male strike the female." then he stated that "She was trying to claw her way back in. She's trying to climb over him, he's trying to disengage. Everything she's saying is the same thing the witness is saying. He never hit her." Then the cop goes on to say "she's the aggressor."
Once again, IMO, this is just sad. It's sad for me to see how distraught Gabby was. You could see it on her face. Having said that, It doesn't matter if you're a 350 lb. linebacker playing for the NFL. If someone is attacking you, clawing at you and hitting you in the face with a cell phone, you have a right to defend yourself, and that's the only thing he did. I don't understand where the "abuse" everyone's taking about comes into play here. Yes, he was trying to lock her out to detach from the situation. If someone's attacking you on your front lawn, and you run in the house and lock the door to escape the situation, is that wrong? Not playing fair? What am I missing?
I think the assumption (not sure source) is that she had made it abundantly clear to BL that she had anxieties around being left behind/abandoned. He takes her phone and keys and locks her out. Any moment he could drive off. The more paranoid and worked up she gets, the more he is annoyed and scorns her, tells her to calm down and proceeds with the one thing she fears. Locking her out and making her vulnerable.

That particular insensitive bullying on top of the difference between the average baseline vulnerability women feel vs what men feel when alone in a strange environment due to differences in the physical capabilities to protect oneself, and more lurid and unwanted past attention most women have experienced throughout their lives.

In a nutshell, what the world is currently trying to call attention to.

* what he should’ve done if he needed space (which no one is disagreeing about) is maybe give the keys and her own phone to back to her, HE shoulda walked away.

Last edited:
The only thing I can think of:

It became clear they couldn’t travel together any more. She didn’t feel like she could drive all the way back alone. He offered to drive it back by himself after dropping her off at the airport/train station/wherever he thought was normal. He didn’t know there was anything wrong till after he got back then got super scared when someone mentioned her being missing.

The only question with this would be why didn’t she reach out to her parents/friends?

A few possible answer to this might be: she became severely depressed and then killed herself/disappeared on purpose to get him into trouble for abandoning him/embarrassed and thought she had to handle it by herself but bumped into wrong crowd…

BBM. Laci Peterson comes to mind because she was in an invisible, abusive relationship. Her husband spent special events with his girlfriend, leaving Laci to attend their special events pregnant and alone. She did not tell her family what she was experiencing, most likely related to feelings of failure and related embarrassment.

My impression, including watching the police video, is that she was in a severely abusive relationship where the abuse escalated after she was willingly separated from friends and family for the road trip. She had no one to turn to once she was alone with him and dependent on him 24 hours per day.

<modsnip - sleuthing parents>​

the cops made a big deal about the "requirement" to arrest her. Is it their option, on the other hand, to let someone walk free after speeding, evading the cops, etc?

When one party admits to physical violence they have to arrest that party or separate the two parties for the night. It’s a liability to leave them together. As far as I’m aware, this is true in all states, not unique to Utah, but I could be wrong and there could be an exception somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
No. With all due respect, I'm talking about a traffic stop, and you are combining the details of said traffic stop and her being missing.
In regards to the traffic stop. BL was the "victim."
In regards to Gabby being missing, she is the "victim.
To separate subject matters.
I'm sorry if I confused you. My apologies.
I just don't see the point of talking about Brian being a victim at all.

The only thing I can think of:

It became clear they couldn’t travel together any more. She didn’t feel like she could drive all the way back alone. He offered to drive it back by himself after dropping her off at the airport/train station/wherever he thought was normal. He didn’t know there was anything wrong till after he got back then got super scared when someone mentioned her being missing.

The only question with this would be why didn’t she reach out to her parents/friends?

A few possible answer to this might be: she became severely depressed and then killed herself/disappeared on purpose to get him into trouble for abandoning him/embarrassed and thought she had to handle it by herself but bumped into wrong crowd…

In all of the possible “alternative to BL killing her” scenarios I can only think two things;

- Why not at least say where he last saw her?
- Occam's Razor - The simplest solution is usually the best.

Last edited:
I've posted the screen pics which show the evidence of her injuries. Given timestamps where both she and one of the officers discuss whether he hit her, and another officer mentions he's seen marks on her too.

Just check my comments and you will find them. :)

A response from Gabby's father:
Gabby Petito's father responds to comment from Brian Laundrie's sister

“If that’s that family’s version of love, to just ignore and not care that someone’s gone,” Joe Petito said, “and people are looking for them and entire countries looking for them, I mean, that explains how we got to where we are today. Because I mean, look at their version of what they call love.”

This is Key. Anywhere reservations are required is a timestamp on the timeline.
My experience with dispersed campsites near Moab. They are BLM sites, and they are numbered. You can’t just plop your tent anywhere, and there are limited spaces. IIRC (it’s been a while), a ranger of some sort checked who was where. There were only a few spots at each little area, so as to be sustainable.
And….you had to bring your own toilet. That was interesting: no peeing on the landscape.

I camped there (and extensively all over the West) in my compact hatchback, BTW. I laugh when I see posters thinking the white van was too small and cramped for sleeping in. I actually don’t get why the pair would be sleeping in a tent.
I don’t recall getting dusty at Moab, perhaps because it was spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie