Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #82

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like this judge.
Yeah. Well, you're not on BM's no contact list. I'll bet those people (and many others) feel the jeopardy the judge's decision leaves them in. It was so critical to this judge to protect the daughters but after laying out the damning evidence, he doesn't feel that way about SM's best friend, minor children of JL, and anyone else who has to live in fear for the next approx. 8 months. If it takes a body to get too PEPG, that's a pretty high bar considering the judge thinks he most likely chased & darted Suzanne with no mercy like she was not a fellow human, just another creature of prey.
JMO

So, if Barry runs, will his family and friends take that as an admission of guilt?
Not necessarily. Scott Peterson was arrested, when he was very close to the Southern Border, with newly dyed hair and a big wad of cash in his pockets---and his supporters said 'no wonder he wanted to flee, he was falsely accused and was so scared.' :rolleyes:

One question will be how much control Barry actually has, legally, over those assets while he is out on bail? He is still not a free man. Likewise, Suzanne is still legally "missing"...she hasn't been declared "dead" and I am wondering if her estate has to be settled before all of those assets are Barry's?

I think it is likely that BM has a lot of control over the assets, and that won't change until he becomes a convicted murderer.
Unless Suzanne's family or their daughters fight for control of Suzanne's assets, if they can.

We have a wife-murderer here (Gerard Baden Clay) who was able to sell a property that his murdered wife had control over (and was owned by 4 family members), while he was in prison awaiting trial.
Allison's father had to go to court to wrestle control of her estate away from him.

Investment property bought for Allison Baden-Clay secretly sold by accused murderer husband

I’m sorry the prosecution didn’t present a stronger case in the PH, if they could have. They didn’t reach the level of proof evident… in the judges eyes, so the Judge followed the law and set a reasonable bail, based on info he had. That is the way it’s supposed to work. The prosecution should have presented a stronger case IMO. Even they thought so and added the part about removing the game cameras in their statement yesterday. That should have been in the PH as well.

I listened to Chris today on The Interview Room. He's convinced Barry is a flight risk and perhaps even a danger to certain witnesses. He's also convinced Barry will try and "cheat the monitoring system" at some point during the eight month's he is free in society.

I can see why Chris feels that way, Barry doesn't think rules apply to him. I actually get a warm, fuzzy, feeling thinking about Barry doing something stupid and his bail being revoked. Time will tell.
As long as it doesn't involve attempting to take or taking another person's life. That is a real jeopardy here if the ankle bracelet is as lame as described. I'm concerned. CM has seen a lot of perps in action and has knowledge of criminal profiling. I'd bet money on his opinion.
JMO

I really think Barry is going to mess up , I think the people and le of chaffee will be watching him, I think the info that came out in the PH and with the AA coming out shocked and surprised alot of the good ole boys,I think Barry will go check on Suzanne's remains and be spotted.Atleast that's my hope. My fear is that when they come to arrest him again it's going to be a bloody mess or he's gone. Jmoo

Hopefully the people that are worried about Barry coming after them take the opportunity this weekend gives them to get out of dodge. Barry is exactly the type of person that restraining orders are useless against. Rules don't apply to Barry. The fact that the ankle bracelet isn't GPS monitored 24/7 and only sends an alarm when he leaves Chaffee County tells me that that bracelet will be located separately from Barry at some point. Even the GPS monitored ones are not fool proof, but this seems like it leaves alot more opportunity for escape. Fotis Dulos' ankle bracelet was able to be monitored in real-time and it was, yet nobody was concerned until 10 minutes before his hearing was supposed to start because his bracelet showed he was still at home. There were even news reporters outside his house that suspected something was up when he hadn't left with reasonable time to get to court but nobody did anything. Many of us in CT got to watch everything happen on the news (before the videos were removed/edited) live, but yet he still managed to kill himself. Barry’s ankle bracelet does not give me any comfort and I hope the people that are scared of him don't take comfort in it either and do what they need to do to keep themselves safe. I think Barry will behave briefly to get people to let their guard down. I am most concerned for MM2. Suzanne said it herself, he is unstable and I doubt he got stable sitting in a cell. He has had ALOT of time to read the AA and start planning who will pay for their transgressions against him. I fear this judge is gonna end up with blood on his hands for these ridiculous decisions he has made. This is not justice. Unfortunately, the prosecution also failed in my opinion. If Linda Stanley is the pitbull everyone makes her out to be, why was she not front and center during the PH? Jeff Lindsey seems meek, why let him do 99% of the talking when we could see from previous hearings that he was no match to the defense attorneys? I am disgusted.

Just like Dr. Jeffrey McDonald....he lived it up too after he killed his family. But in the end....the jury was paying very close attention to the evidence...not the noise and distractions. I don't think time will be on Barry's side here. If it went to trial today...sure, that 50-50 shot looks about right.. But Barry's life was a facade before this. Now the facade is lifted..and Barry has to live in a bubble for 8 months...while the state continues building and refining its case. All the while, Barry has to worry about Suzanne being found...and he won't be tooling around with his bobcat...who would hire him? Barry has nowhere to hide, unless he bolts in the middle of the night. Lets not forget his personality and character traits...Barry is likely to have a confrontation or two out in public....he can't change who he is. Will he stay with his daughters and screw up their relationships with others? My guess is that Barry will find a gullible, lonely female...jailhouse wife type, for companionship and a place to live....while the clock is ticking.
BBM
Yes, that's what a good, Christian, family man would do. Counting down those 10 Commandments fast.....
MOO

Additionally, why did the judge feel the need to tell everyone that the bracelet wasn't GPS monitored? He might as well have said "hey Bear-bear, don't worry about that bracelet. Once you are out it will only take you 5 minutes to find a YouTube video to show you how to remove it. Oh and we won't be looking for you until November 9th, so take your time."

Well folks, I guess I'm going to have to pull my boots on again, saddle up my trusty steed, and round up old BM. Then I'll put him in a special cage in our zoo, lock him up, and throw away the key.
My thanks would be with you! :p:( We are always so very excited, if we find out something re the crime and the perp (besides LE and FBI), but for what actually? We constantly are experiencing too much grace with/too much consideration for/too many concessions to the perp. At the end or in the middle of the process already. This cannot be reconciled with my personal sense of justice.
I might have missed something important: is BM a VIP and I didn't notice??

Yeah this is the fire I’m curious about. Some of her items in the fire. Like what are those items on a fire we have yet to hear about. Not the journal and file folder metal things. Is there another fire we are to hear about that we know nothing of ?

This may have already been addressed but I think the point was, the things left behind, such as her sunglasses and camelback found in her car, (that she was known to always take with her during bike rides), and the item in the fire, presumably her journal, were all items she'd have taken with her if she voluntarily left.

He will get out of jail for now, and has to face the storm of the information coming out by releasing the AA. That will be at least uncomfortable in his day to day life.

I too agree with those who noted his support will dwindle after that, because 1,2,3 strange things can be explained, but if it becomes too many, it will get harder to believe in him. IMO the AA will open many people’s eyes.
bbm
Exactly!
He has to hide for a while, I think. Then has to memorize the indictment to have all the nice lies at hand, as soon as he needs them.

I'm stunned.

I don't think a single Barry-hater here on WS took one second to pause and think about his/her position after this decision. Just launched right into how its so wrong.

Remember this feeling. There may be another one just like it in June 2022.
It’s never been about hating someone. It’s about wanting to see someone who murdered another human being go to prison.

And yeah, he might go free. Justice may fail us yet again. Maybe you should remember that in case you are around him in the future. Keep your eyes wide open.
Judge's Ruling?
@Love Never Fails sbm for focus bbm Based on link w quote below from Judge Murphy, I'm respectfully disagreeing w ^ post as a misinterpretation or misstatement of his ruling.

Murphy said: "It does not serve as a mini trial. Only to see if there is probable cause that there was a murder and that the defendant might have caused that." * bbm @Cindizzi Thx for link.
"This is not a trial," Murphy said. "It does not serve as a mini trial. Only to see if there is probable cause that there was a murder and that the defendant might have caused that. We have to entertain a reasonable belief that the defendant may have caused this. The court must draw all reasonable inferences in favor of the people. Evidence to support a conviction is not necessary at this stage."...."
I believe he caused it. judge knows that.

That^^^ is why releasing the AA is so damn important. Close family and long time best friends will Ride or Die with a defendant. But many others will dropout if they read a detailed 'probable cause' document, in black and white.

If someone believes their friend or neighbour is innocent and being falsely accused of murder and railroaded by crooked DA's---they are going to be supportive and all that.

But if evidence starts leaking out making them appear guilty as charged, a lot of that prior support drops off. I think we may see that here.
I tend to believe the judge that most everything came out in the prelim. I am sure there is still titillating tidbits in the affidavit and of course I want to read it but I still believe the info is what it is. If anything the possibility in my mind is it will divide friends and family more than has already occurred sadly.

So where is Barry going to live? Is GD going to put him up? Are the girls in Gunnison? Will a condo association be okay with having a man awaiting trial for murder renting/owning in their complex? I wonder if he regrets dumping PP, where he could have roamed and moved rocks around with his bobcat all day long.

Have you ever heard of defense team writing their OWN version of the arrest affidavit because they didn't like what the prosecution wrote in theirs?
I am astounded at the chutzpah.
Barry hired the right lawyers. Arrogant like he is. Not intentionally trying to insult them. They are very qualified. But you are correct. Chutzpah!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member